PDA

View Full Version : Give me a racquet that serves huge like the PD but with more control & feel

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 01:39 AM
OK, I was mentioning it here already more or less:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1084703#post1084703

I'm actually looking for a racquet that has the same potential of the Pure Drive+ with first serves (bombs that it, rather than spin, I can more or less achieve the spin on my own with other sticks but have a little trouble getting the pace down)...

If I could find a racquet with the serving cababilities of the PD+, but with more control on groundies and at the net, I'd be there!
Unfortunately my experience has largely taught me that you cannot play with a PD+ unless you put tons of spin from the baseline to your shots, which I don't want to do. I hit a flatter ball on groundies.
Also, the Pure Drive has a really crappy feel overall (on finesse shots), that's another big issue with this (in)famous racquet... fact is, I can serve much better with this one than any other stick, so, what's next for me???

Duzza
11-25-2006, 01:51 AM
RDX 500 mid. If people don't think you can serve huge with any racquet, I believe they're mistaken.

jace112
11-25-2006, 01:54 AM
For me, SW and static weight are the 2 keys for a nice serving stick

Duzza
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
But the RDX has low static and SW, and I'm serving better than ever. Weird :|

haerdalis
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Unfortunately you cant have it all. But try the PD Roddick. Atleast it is better at the net.
Also the PD line of racquets works just fine for flat hitters IMO. I have 2 PDR+ racquets and when I first got them (I bought them without demoing) I was extremely unhappy as every shot I hit went long. So I put them up for sale and went back to lower powered racquets thinking they were not for me. But then last week when nobody wanted to buy my racquets I gave them another chance and figured out why I been hitting long. The woofer is the reason. It gives the Babolats a higher initial trajectory on the shots compared to most other racquets but it also puts more spin on the ball. So the solution is to play your normal shots but aim lower. Simple as that.

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 02:02 AM
RDX 500 mid. If people don't think you can serve huge with any racquet, I believe they're mistaken.
Surely I have flaws in my technique so I'll have to work on that... but the PD gives me some serious boost especially on first serves, and that is a FACT.
I've tried out similar racquets in a 100 sq head (PK Laver Type Sx, Wilson PS Surge, Prince Shark) but still there are differences. I believe it has something to do with the Woofer System, but then again, other Babs have Woofers also and they don't serve as huge (Pure Control to name one). So, it must be the combination of the large head, relatively HH balance (which makes for poor volleys btw), thick beam, low weight, SW, stiffness, all packed together...

That being said, I thought the RDX 500 mid served OK, but nothing that did really WOW me or drop my jaws down to the floor.

Duzza
11-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Surely I have flaws in my technique so I'll have to work on that... but the PD gives me some serious boost especially on first serves, and that is a FACT.
I've tried out similar racquets in a 100 sq head (PK Laver Type Sx, Wilson PS Surge, Prince Shark) but still there are differences. I believe it has something to do with the Woofer System, but then again, other Babs have Woofers also and they don't serve as huge (Pure Control to name one). So, it must be the combination of the large head, relatively HH balance (which makes for poor volleys btw), thick beam, low weight, SW, stiffness, all packed together...

That being said, I thought the RDX 500 mid served OK, but nothing that did really WOW me or drop my jaws down to the floor.

Which is weird, I know... I'm serving better than ever and can't work it out. The strings are dead, the racquet isn't rated great for serving, but it's working for me.

BTW: I dunno much about Pure Drive racquets but are you sure they are HH?

jace112
11-25-2006, 02:10 AM
But the RDX has low static and SW, and I'm serving better than ever. Weird :|
Better than with your PS85 or a PC600? (if true, I'll certainly enjoy A LOT this RDX!)

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately you cant have it all. But try the PD Roddick. Atleast it is better at the net.
Also the PD line of racquets works just fine for flat hitters IMO. I have 2 PDR+ racquets and when I first got them (I bought them without demoing) I was extremely unhappy as every shot I hit went long. So I put them up for sale and went back to lower powered racquets thinking they were not for me. But then last week when nobody wanted to buy my racquets I gave them another chance and figured out why I been hitting long. The woofer is the reason. It gives the Babolats a higher initial trajectory on the shots compared to most other racquets but it also puts more spin on the ball. So the solution is to play your normal shots but aim lower. Simple as that.
NO, the PD Roddick felt totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what that is, but I was shocked at the very first hit, I had to give it up after the first 10 minutes.
I still have to try out the Pure Drive Cortex, how about that? But the Roddick, no, big mistake from Bab.

Listen, what strings are you using on your PD+ and what tension?
Another strange issue with the PD is that the recommended tension range is really low for such a beast, 50-55 lbs (for the Woofers to properly work, or so they say), but even raising to 66 lbs doesn't help it that much as I've found out.
Also, I'm not too crazy about polys, especially on a crappy feeling racquet like the PD, things go from bad to worse...

Duzza
11-25-2006, 02:13 AM
ATM yes. On the first day, it didn't feel great because of those factors(SW, static), completely off timing. Once you have a week or so with it and you've gotten used to it, I think it is great. If I had a dime for the amount of times our doubles opponents complained about/complemented my first serves I would probably have 20 dimes, and a nickel for every ace/forced error 15 nickels.

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Which is weird, I know... I'm serving better than ever and can't work it out. The strings are dead, the racquet isn't rated great for serving, but it's working for me.

BTW: I dunno much about Pure Drive racquets but are you sure they are HH?
Well, they are more even balance, or 3-4 points HL, but definitely not like a PS 6.0 or Tour 90 which are like 10 to 12 points HL. The RDX 500 is something like 8 pts HL.

So, what strings/tension are you using on yours???
I have a RDX 500 mid sitting in the closet, maybe I should try it out more extensively and tweak around with strings and tension...

Duzza
11-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Umm...factory strung LOL. No joke, factory nylon probably avg tension in between max and min, but it's dropped a lot, almost dead.

haerdalis
11-25-2006, 02:24 AM
NO, the PD Roddick felt totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what that is, but I was shocked at the very first hit, I had to give it up after the first 10 minutes.
I still have to try out the Pure Drive Cortex, how about that? But the Roddick, no, big mistake from Bab.

Listen, what strings are you using on your PD+ and what tension?
Another strange issue with the PD is that the recommended tension range is really low for such a beast, 50-55 lbs (for the Woofers to properly work, or so they say), but even raising to 66 lbs doesn't help it that much as I've found out.
Also, I'm not too crazy about polys, especially on a crappy feeling racquet like the PD, things go from bad to worse...
Thats exactly how I felt too. It felt really bad but this week I gave it some more time and after 3 hours on the court on Thursday and Friday I got to like it. The power on the serve is huge (it was from the start) but now I like the groundstrokes too. I use the PDR+ with cortex strung with SPPP 1.18 mains at 53 lbs and a multi cross at 56 lbs. On low balls I have to be a bit careful but on balls above net height I can hit with freedom.

About Yonex and serving. Anybody who tends to hit high in the stringbed (many do) will probably like a yonex for serving.

Tennis Man
11-25-2006, 03:58 AM
LM Prestige if you can handle it :)

Punisha
11-25-2006, 04:18 AM
the strings in my factory strung one broke duzza... i was having fun having to hit heaps of topspin to compensate for insane tension loss.

anyway atm im serving best with an RDX500 mid with ~9 grams 1cm from handle and 6 grams at 3 and 9.

other than that i can recommend the Yonex NSRQ-7... seems to be a great tweener. Got good power and good control and spin which sounds like what you want.

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 04:23 AM
LM Prestige if you can handle it :)
The LM Prestige felt awkward to me, weird feeling. Not a pleasing hit. I'd rather go with the Prestige Classic 600 anyday.

As for the Yonex NSRQ-7, I have to try it out - thanks for the input, I will give it a go! ;)

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Can someone compare the Yonex NSRQ-7 and the V-Con 17?
I had a V-Con 17 at some point but gave it away, not for me.
If they play any similar, I won't even bother to demo, thanks.

bcsax123
11-25-2006, 08:52 AM
The LM Prestige felt awkward to me, weird feeling. Not a pleasing hit. I'd rather go with the Prestige Classic 600 anyday.

As for the Yonex NSRQ-7, I have to try it out - thanks for the input, I will give it a go! ;)

LM Prestige has a higher SW than most Prestiges (I think)

I would try LM/FXP Radical. Maybe you just can't swing stuff an ounce heavier than your PD, which is why LM Prestige felt weird.

jackson vile
11-25-2006, 01:22 PM
It's called a prestige

Kevo
11-25-2006, 03:29 PM
The stiffer the racquet the better when it comes to serving. The Pure Control (misnamed IMO) also seems to give that extra boost on the serve, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of feel or control either. It's also fairly stiff with kevlar in the mix like the PD.

In any case, you can serve big with almost any stick, and if you can get your serve over 100mph with some placement, then you will do quite well with whatever you pick. I used to use the RDX 500, and I could serve huge with that frame. I switched to the Pure Storm for a little more control, and my serve dropped a few mph, but people still comment about how hard I hit it. It's all a tradeoff. It takes some time to find the sweet spot with a new stick on the serve. What you have to think about is will the 5-10mph drop on your serve hurt you more than the increased feel and control you might gain.

P.S. I think the Pure Drive has decent feel to it. Try some NXT at 60lbs. and see if you like that. A lot of times people can miss out on what a frame offers by not using a string that compliments their game.

Rafa's best friend
11-25-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm actually looking for a racquet that has the same potential of the Pure Drive+ with first serves (bombs that it, rather than spin, I can more or less achieve the spin on my own with other sticks but have a little trouble getting the pace down)...

If I could find a racquet with the serving cababilities of the PD+, but with more control on groundies and at the net, I'd be there!
Unfortunately my experience has largely taught me that you cannot play with a PD+ unless you put tons of spin from the baseline to your shots, which I don't want to do. I hit a flatter ball on groundies.
Also, the Pure Drive has a really crappy feel overall (on finesse shots), that's another big issue with this (in)famous racquet... fact is, I can serve much better with this one than any other stick, so, what's next for me???

Try the YONEX RQS-11, it is very similar to PD+, but has less power on the groundies...

Duzza
11-25-2006, 03:53 PM
the strings in my factory strung one broke duzza... i was having fun having to hit heaps of topspin to compensate for insane tension loss.

anyway atm im serving best with an RDX500 mid with ~9 grams 1cm from handle and 6 grams at 3 and 9.

other than that i can recommend the Yonex NSRQ-7... seems to be a great tweener. Got good power and good control and spin which sounds like what you want.
yeah well yesterday I had been using my tension lost one to break them, but then in competition I switched to the barely used one and they broke! So I had to use the dodgy one's and it actually helped lol.

Richie Rich
11-25-2006, 04:09 PM

did you take a look at the head instinct tour xl? great serving stick that is way more comfy than the PD+

nalbandian_fan
11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
what about a POG OS? isnt that what roddick used before babolat?