PDA

View Full Version : does that extra inch really make a differnece?

Japan Tennis
11-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Hey

I was wondering does the extra inch in a 28 in racquet really make a difference on the serve and groundstroke. And does it really affect the volley?

Thanks

Japan Tennis

Punisha
11-25-2006, 04:20 AM
imagine swinging a lollipop stick... then imagine swinging a broom handle...

granted thats a bit extreme but at the speed you swing a tennis racquet yes there is quite a bit of difference in how it plays. More power/spin but less manouverability... (oh god i just finished school cant spell)

Z-Man
11-25-2006, 04:54 AM
It makes a huge difference on a 2-handed backhand.

musicc
11-25-2006, 05:22 AM
some girls would say yes.

jaykay
11-25-2006, 05:50 AM

---chortle--- ;)

Gut Reaction
11-25-2006, 05:52 AM

LOL!!! took the words out of my mouth.

Seriously...yes it makes quite a difference. You get more power but the trae off is maneuverability.

Japan Tennis
11-25-2006, 06:20 AM
yes that is what everone says but in reality does that tiny inch really make a difference? or more specifically a notice able difference. You say that the increased reach is noticeable but it is tiny, just one inch. normally i miss balls by a feet not one tiny inch so with the increased reach it would mean i now still miss balls but not its by 11 inches not 12. but i have never tried a 28 in frame so i have never accually tried it.

Steve Huff
11-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Look at it the opposite way. Try using a 26" Junior racket. How would that feel? In the past, some manufacturers made some of their "control" rackets a little shorter (Fischer, Snauwaert). The tradeoff was power.

Another tradeoff with a longer racket is comfort. Longer rackets put more stress on your arm, increase the risk of injury.

fishuuuuu
11-25-2006, 07:57 AM
yes that is what everone says but in reality does that tiny inch really make a difference? or more specifically a notice able difference. You say that the increased reach is noticeable but it is tiny, just one inch. normally i miss balls by a feet not one tiny inch so with the increased reach it would mean i now still miss balls but not its by 11 inches not 12. but i have never tried a 28 in frame so i have never accually tried it.

I don't know anything about it, because I've never tried it. But I will post hearsay and disinform others with my limited knowledge.

Look at it the opposite way. Try using a 26" Junior racket. How would that feel? In the past, some manufacturers made some of their "control" rackets a little shorter (Fischer, Snauwaert). The tradeoff was power.

Another tradeoff with a longer racket is comfort. Longer rackets put more stress on your arm, increase the risk of injury.

Definitely agree about the loss of comfort, and want to add that the extended length doesn't decrease manueverability substantially compared to other racquets, but sure makes for a great excuse to players who look for it.

jonolau
11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
IMO, the benefits of a longer racquet are most prominent on serves, giving more reach and equated to more powerful serves.

However, it does put considerably more strain on the shoulder. I had a half-inch longer Volkl Tour 10 X-tended and had to sell it off after a couple of weeks as the slight benefits could not compensate for comfort and health.

snoflewis
11-25-2006, 08:51 AM
it depends on the player. half the people will say that it does affect their game...the other half will have no problem switching to it. in general, longer frames have higher swingweights as well.

haerdalis
11-25-2006, 08:56 AM
It makes a big difference but the end result may be the same. You gain some and lose some. Personally I dont see much of a gain in anything except serve but the serve is the most important shot so it can be a big gain. Michael Chang used a longbody but held the racquet a bit up the handle on everything except serve. If you can get used to doing that it seems you'll get the best of both worlds.

Voltron
11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
More power less maneuverablility.

bcsax123
11-25-2006, 09:18 AM
On serves: Noticble difference
Groundstokes and volleys: Worst. I feel as if I am always hitting late with extended length.

I wonder where Rafa's Best Friend is...

Alafter
11-25-2006, 10:25 AM
kinda funny how people of different heights and weights can comment as if 27 inches is the holy number. think about it. it should be proportional. a 5 feet 6 guy like me and a 6 feet and a half guy comment on the same 28 inch racquet as if it has the same effect.

Alafter
11-25-2006, 10:30 AM

see? even in real life, it's all about proportion.

a 5 feet girl would feel the 1 inch increase much more than a 7 feet volleyball chick.

we are still talking about striking balls with racquets btw.

haerdalis
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Back on topic I do believe to some extent the opposite is true in tennis. Shorter people generally have better coordination and footwork and can therefore handle the extra length better. A tall person doesnt need more power and cannot afford to sacrifice any control. But if you are willing to choke down on the handle on groundstrokes you can have the perfect racquet.

sypl
11-25-2006, 10:51 AM
LOL!!! took the words out of my mouth.

Only words?

This thread just lends itself to innuendo.

Swissv2
11-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I like the wording - OH HUSH YOU PEOPLE, get your minds out of the gutter! :p

jackson vile
11-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Just ask a Woman

plasma
10-17-2008, 08:08 PM
my gf loves the extra inch, lol