PDA

View Full Version : Difference in swingweight

mhstennis100
11-25-2006, 06:58 AM
I have 2 Prince O3 tour 95s (my main rackets) with a swingweight of 324. They weigh a little over 12 ounces with the grips I put on, and are more headlight than the 8 points TW states. I also have 2 Wilson N6 95's that are about 10 ounces, 8 points head heavy and have a swingweight 326.

The main point of this: I was looking for a 3rd racket to backup my Prince O3s. I was looking for something else like a Dunlop M-fil 200 or a used Yonex RDX 500 that are cheaper than a new Prince. According to the swingweight, the N6's should be relatively the same (I'm not exactly sure what swingweight does but they only have a 2 point difference). Should I just use the N6s because they have a similar swingweight, even though the balance and weight are way different? Or should I get a different like the Dunlop or Yonex?

ohplease
11-25-2006, 07:40 AM
I have 2 Prince O3 tour 95s (my main rackets) with a swingweight of 324. They weigh a little over 12 ounces with the grips I put on, and are more headlight than the 8 points TW states. I also have 2 Wilson N6 95's that are about 10 ounces, 8 points head heavy and have a swingweight 326.

The main point of this: I was looking for a 3rd racket to backup my Prince O3s. I was looking for something else like a Dunlop M-fil 200 or a used Yonex RDX 500 that are cheaper than a new Prince. According to the swingweight, the N6's should be relatively the same (I'm not exactly sure what swingweight does but they only have a 2 point difference). Should I just use the N6s because they have a similar swingweight, even though the balance and weight are way different? Or should I get a different like the Dunlop or Yonex?

You asked for it. Here's the most recent debate on swingweight: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106529

Tell you what, you go ahead and try the N6 vs. the o3 tour. Come back and tell us if they swing similarly.

NoBadMojo
11-25-2006, 08:00 AM

hi there. if you stuck leather grips on there, that would be why those frames would turn up as more headlight (the swingweight will also go up a couple points) provided you had the swingweight measured or the frames came to you on spec. if you like the feel of these prince frames, you would be best served to get another like that rather than something hammer weighted. since the frames are only a couple swingweight points different, they will take the same amount of energy to swing them at the same headspeed. you may also wish to ignore what ohplease posts as he got some sort of disturbing obsession with swingweight and will attack those who believe that swingweight is useful information.
also, you dont say your playing style, but in most general terms, people who hang at the baseline typically play best with racquets with more weight in the head and all courters/serve volleyers like something more headlight.
DISCLAIMER: I post this to try and help this guy who seems to want some good avice rather than to be involved in some sort of 'discussion' about the value of swingweight

Kevo
11-25-2006, 04:35 PM
The N6s will not swing the same even though they are only 2 points difference. The reason is that the static weights are about 2oz. apart. Swingweight is a pretty good measure of how different frames swing as long as they are similar weight frames. As to the backup frame question, why not try to find a used O3 if you just don't want to pay full price rather than picking a different frame?