PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on the k-factor

tennis_vet
11-25-2006, 08:06 AM
This link might provide some interesting insight into what Wilson (and possibly Dunlop) may be doing with their "new technologies".

http://www.livescience.com/technology/051128_spring_foam.html

Tennis Man
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
It's a nice article, thank you but what does it have to do with the K-factor?

anirut
11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Just take these few lines/words from the link:

"New Material is Super Springy and Strong" -- Headline

"Films of carbon nanotubes were made to act like a layer of mattress springs, flexing and rebounding in response to a force, the research showed."

" ..... buckling and folding themselves like springs .... "

And, BTW, K is spring-measurement unit.

So I'm guessing at something Wilson's coming up with.

Rafa's best friend
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
I am yet to find a racket that truly provide the so called more power and more control both, it seems like always, if racket becomes more powerful then it sacrifice some control . so ????????

BreakPoint
11-25-2006, 06:14 PM

"Films of carbon nanotubes were made to act like a layer of mattress springs, flexing and rebounding in response to a force, the research showed."

That's excellent, anirut!! I think you've found what the "K" in "K-factor" really stands for! :D

I no longer think "K" stands for potassium. I also think it most likely stands for "spring rate"! :D

The Dampener
11-25-2006, 06:29 PM
"K" also stands for "Strikeout." Wait, that's baseball. Nevermind.

psamp14
11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
so then does it mean that this k factor racquet will actually be new technology? the ball springing off the strings?

after reading anirut's and breakpoint's posts...i'm feeling the hype of this racquet! i hope to be able to demo it as soon as its out!

sureshs
11-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Spring constant as in F = -k*x is a good guess, but the article had nothing to do with Wilson.

The more k the stiffer the spring (takes more force F to compress it by a given distance x) and minus sign because F acts opposite to distance measured outwards from anchor point of spring.

nadalito92
11-26-2006, 11:04 AM
k is the first letter of KILL!!!!!! hehehe

chess9
11-26-2006, 11:30 AM
The "spring rate" find is quite a good find, but when the crops are dry will the spring pump water? :)

In other words, SO WHAT, Wilson? How is this going to translate into better tennis?

-Robert

SFrazeur
11-26-2006, 11:39 AM
The "spring rate" find is quite a good find, but when the crops are dry will the spring pump water? :)

In other words, SO WHAT, Wilson? How is this going to translate into better tennis?

-Robert

It does not translate into better tennis, new racquet technologies cannot give a player what they do not already have. What new technology can give is better stability, and the like.

chess9
11-26-2006, 11:47 AM
It does not translate into better tennis, new racquet technologies cannot give a player what they do not already have. What new technology can give is better stability, and the like.

Amen to that.

-Robert

BreakPoint
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Well, like that article said, it provides resiliency over a longer period of time, so I guess the racquet can take more impacts and keep flexing for a longer period of time without losing its resiliency and feeling "dead".

"Films of carbon nanotubes were made to act like a layer of mattress springs (http://www.livescience.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=051228_springs_02.jpg&cap=Buckled+carbon+nanotubes+under+compression.+Cr edit%3A+Cao/RPI), flexing and rebounding in response to a force, the research showed. But unlike a mattress, which can sag and lose its springiness, these nanotube foams maintain their resilience even after thousands of compression cycles."

The nanotubes making the "springs" could also mean more "spring action" (e.g., spring back at a faster rate after flexing or deformation) which results in more power? Just a guess.

Rafa's best friend
11-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Does this come in Extra-length racket like 27.5 inches long and very stiff frame???