PDA

View Full Version : Is my H-Tour hurting my shoulder?

elgato65
08-13-2004, 11:18 AM
After not having played for many years, I started back hitting regularly a couple of years ago and Iím loving it. However, these last months I have started to suffer from tennis shoulder and I am trying to figure out if and how much my racquet might be contributing to it.

Throughout í02 I used a Wilson Hammer 5.2 midplus strung at 55 lbs. I played on average twice a week and never experienced any discomfort.

Then on July í03 I switched to a Hammer Tour 98 which is what Iím hitting with. Iím playing more frequently too, about 3 times a week and hitting quite hard. Iím basically a strong forehand baseline player and have turned my once flat game into a more topspin one. Did I mention I like to hit hard? :lol: As for me, I am 39 y/o, 6í 180, in general good shape if we choose to ignore a receding hairline.

Can you guys tell me how good or bad the H Tour is in terms of shoulder/elbow injury? Is the head heavy balance something I might need to move away from? And in that case would moving to a n-code 95 a wise choice?

Thanks in advance

Franco

NoBadMojo
08-13-2004, 12:01 PM
the htour plays pretty stiff and boardy and has a smallish sweetspot and could be causing you some problems assuming your mechanics arent causing you troubles. you dont say which string you are using and that is an impt part of the equation. i would estimate the htour98 to be best suited for a strong player seeking something lighter that is a good ball striker..god enough to hit w. a pretty unforgiving frame. ed

elgato65
08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
thanks for the input nbm. as for your question, i do not have a def favorite string yet as I have been experimenting a few. this is what I have been using:

Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme 17
Babolat Syntronic Brio
Babolat SuperFine Play
Babolat Conquest
Wilson Stamina
Gamma TNT2

Always strung @ 55, except this last time that I decided to experimet @ 57 with the Wilson Extreme.

Steve H.
08-13-2004, 05:43 PM
the H tour isn't especially head-heavy and is actually pretty flexible so it shouldn't be an arm-killer in itself. But choice of racquet seems to have more to do with tennis elbow and wrist pain (from the twisting and shock from impact with the ball) than shoulder problems.

It could be that you're swinging too violently, or trying to "arm" the ball instead of using your legs and body, it could also be that you're just getting older and the muscles around your rotator cuff are weaker from not being used lately. Do a Google search on "rotator cuff" and you'll find some advice and exercises.