PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

bcwalmsley
11-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm 59 and returning to playing after a 7 year flirtation with golf.
I need a new racquet and to lose a few pounds.
I'm was playing at an intermediate level, and used to really love my oversize Wilson Hammer.
What should I be looking to buy today? And any real world stories about how to lose 10-15 lbs. (Yeah, yeah - eat less exercise more - I've started doing that).
Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Barry

jonolau
11-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Welcome back to the beautiful game!

Transitioning from golf shouldn't be too much of a problem because the motions are quite complementary.

If you want something that will give you both power and control, you can try the Dunlop M-Fil 300. It is also quite a comfortable racquet, and best of all, nothing beats the price. It's being sold at $79.95 by TW at the moment:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300.html

But tennis is more strenuous on the body especially the legs. So, if you're carrying a bit more weight than normal, go easy and slowly as your knees and feet will feel more strain. You should also think about investing in a good pair of shoes that will help you cushion your legs and absorb the shocks.

When I returned to tennis after a 4 year break, I was also packing the pounds. I bought cheap shoes and totally regretted it as the savings equated to more money spent at the doctor, physiotherapist and podiatrist. A good pair of shoes that I'm using now is the Nike Air Max Breathe 3, it's so good that I currently have 3 pairs:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSNIKE-NAMB3.html

Play well.

Jon

Voltron
11-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Welcome back to the beautiful game!

Transitioning from golf shouldn't be too much of a problem because the motions are quite complementary.

If you want something that will give you both power and control, you can try the Dunlop M-Fil 300. It is also quite a comfortable racquet, and best of all, nothing beats the price. It's being sold at $79.95 by TW at the moment:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300.html

But tennis is more strenuous on the body especially the legs. So, if you're carrying a bit more weight than normal, go easy and slowly as your knees and feet will feel more strain. You should also think about investing in a good pair of shoes that will help you cushion your legs and absorb the shocks.

When I returned to tennis after a 4 year break, I was also packing the pounds. I bought cheap shoes and totally regretted it as the savings equated to more money spent at the doctor, physiotherapist and podiatrist. A good pair of shoes that I'm using now is the Nike Air Max Breathe 3, it's so good that I currently have 3 pairs:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSNIKE-NAMB3.html

Play well.

Jon

Great post!! Several other racquets you might want to look at are: LM Rad OS or MP, Yonex RDS or RDX MPs, or maybe the babolat PD(kidding, really though don't buy that carp).

anirut
11-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Jon, great post!

>> bcwalmsley:

May I suggest the ProKennex's Kinetic/Ki line. This may help prevent arm problems for players of your age, esp after a long layoff.

Tate74
12-22-2006, 08:04 PM
bcwalmsley:

Why not stick to what you're used to and what you liked before....get a hammer. That's what I did, kinda, I played with pro staff 6.0 85's my junior and senior years of HS, took quite a few years off and just started playing again and went right back to my trusty 6.0 staffs again. I don't think it would feel the same after such a long break from the game with an unfamiliar racquet.

Also on the weight loss, Two words for you COLON CLEANSE, you will lose a minimum of 10 pounds, most likley more at age 59. I know this sounds gross but in the last year I began eating organic foods, did an internal cleanse, colon cleanse and I feel like i'm 18 again, no fatigue, no stress, and more energy than I know what to do with. I'm 32, 6'3 183lbs have always been on the "high metabolism, slender side" and could never gain or lose weight no matter what. After I did a colon cleanse I lost 5 lbs. And most everyone has heard the story about John Wayne, had 44 lbs of fecal matter in his colon when he died.