PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Reco for Petite Female Beginner

tennisgirl
08-13-2004, 12:36 PM
I just discovered this board and I'm really impressed with the collective knowledge on it. I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with a racquet recommendation.

I completely new to tennis (played as a child but that's about it) and am about to take advantage of some tennis lessons at a sports club I belong to. Any ideas on a suitable racquet? Here are my stats:

1. Height: 5'2"
2. Weight: 115 lbs
3. Fairly athletic - exercise 4x/wk and strength train so I don't know if a super-powerful racquet would be the best option
4. I'm not that price sensitive - just want something that will work for me at this stage.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

K. Wilson Moose
08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
This may be a good option, and it is a good deal at TW. I recommended this one to our corporate fitness coordinator (ex female gymnast) and she really likes it.

Prince ThunderCloud, link below....

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-TCT.html

Feņa14
08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
You gotta love the ProStaff Surge 5.1, it is a good racket that gives you lots of power and lots of control.

A real all rounder and a nice racket to start with and it has plenty of good feedback on TW

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-H51.html

Let us know what you choose!

-Liam

ssjkyle31
08-13-2004, 09:31 PM
WIlson 5.1 Surge or the original Babolat PD. What are you using now?

tennisgirl
08-14-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks so much for the recommendations so far. I don't have a racquet at all right now, so I think a good first step would be to demo the Prince, Wilson, and Babolat.

Since I've never played tennis seriously before, what should I look for when trying out these racqets?

Feņa14
08-14-2004, 05:57 AM
Hi,

You will want to be looking for a racket that gives you comfort first of all, you also want one that gives you enough power for you to hit the ball deep without coming up short or too long.

Another aspect is one that you think you will be able to grow into as a player, one that will give you help at first but also one that will make you play correctly without you getting lasy on your strokes.

It also has to feel good in your hands, feel is very important.

Finding a new racket can be very hard but hopefull one of these 3 will be thr right one for you.

-Liam

Joe Oldschool
08-14-2004, 06:52 AM
If you are impressed with the collective knowledge on this board...well...I won't go there.

Anyway, my wife fits the catagory of petite, and I have done pretty well selecting racquets for her. I would recommend something as follows:

Stiffness: 65-67
Weight: 10.5-11 ounces
Balance: as close to even as possible
Headsize: 95-105 sq. in.

If you check out the sale and liquidation racquets, you should be able to find something that fits this description. Or, you can add a bit of weight to a racquet that is close to this. Right now she uses the Yonex MP5i with just a bit of weight added and likes it very much. This type of setup will be forgiving enough for a club player, but will let you develop as well.

Good luck

Shane Reynolds
08-14-2004, 02:19 PM
I would recommend the Surge X or the GDS Rally FT (Fischer). It's really hard to beat the Surge right now with its reduced price - if you can live with the paint job that looks like a cool black racquet was used to pommel an unfortunate clown.

David Pavlich
08-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Wilson PS 6.0 85...

Just kidding! The Surge suggestion is good, although I'd stay away from the X because of its extra length. The Wilson H Tour or the Volkl Quantum V1 mp. The Babolat NCT Tour or the Liquid Metal 4.

You need to demo to find out what is most comfortable for you after playing for an hour and a half. The ball machine is one good way of finding out if the racquet's weight is correct for you. You can hit 3 times as many balls with the machine as you do in a match.

You also need to use the frame under duress such as in a match just to see how it reacts when you have to get it from point a to point b in a hurry.

Good Luck! David

goober
08-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Do people really consider the surge a beginner's racquet? I know it is not a payers racquet although there are some pros that use it as well as some College level players and higher level club players.

Eug
08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
What do body measurements have to do with anything? You dont pick racquets like that...only girls....lol. Get a over size frame that isnt very light. The racquet company doesnt matter. Most important thing is to demo racquets and see which one fits you best.