PDA

View Full Version : Strings/tension for Fischer Pro No.1

JR
03-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi, I've got a couple of new Fischer Pro No. 1s (320g) (non-FT) currently strung with some cheap Fischer string. I was recently using Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 (58lbs) on my Volkl MP but I suspect that may have been partially the cause of a sore elbow of late. Any recommended strings/tension for the Fischers? - can't get Gamma strings locally - would prefer non-natural gut but also something that won't move about too much (that's why I used the Bab Pro H. before). Thanks for any advice.

marc tressard
03-10-2004, 09:17 AM
In a decade of experience I've found that a Fischer always prefers a low tension. (I do not know about their "comfort" line.) This is where the rackets come to life and reveal their unique feel. SIV Cermaic grpahgite the Pro #1 is still, the last of the breed. Strung up in tension they lose that je ne sais quoi and are short on power. Recall that before the switch to Gamma and mainstream Fischer recommended tension in the 40s and 50s!! They knew of what they spoke. That Evgeni or Dominic strung tighter is of no concern to me. If you are not a chronic string breaker, I would most vigorously urge upon you a softish string too. The brand to my eyes means nothing, construction matters a bit here. If the cheap Fischer is Tempo 16 with boron, it is a quality string rivalling any solid core with wraps ever made! I am a skeptic as to most string nonsense, but how can you go wrong with Laserfibre Laserlite 16L or the new Phenom? My favorite was the discontinued Babolat multi, Tour Pro 16. Yonex 850 is a favorite of many looking for comfort. My bigger problem with their "tournament" frames is that I am not man enough to use them as intended. My Pro Classic XL usually is a mantlepiece becuase I am in awe of it and unworthy.

NoBadMojo
03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
like marc says. i dont know fischer recommended tensions now, but my venerable vt pros had a suggested range that varied either 2 or 4 pounds from high to low. outside of that range either way and the frame just didnt perform well..now if they could only make their frames a full 27". anyway, the fischer frames certainly arent the most powerful, so i would go w. a fairly lively setup unless you have a great amount of power on your own, and also something soft to match the silky feel. gut or gut hybrid in this frame is ideal IMO. other than that a soft multi would work well. i would avoid anything stiff and boardy. Ed

topspin
03-11-2004, 01:48 AM
nothig beats a good natural gut hybrid, my favorite combo is BDE Performance mains with Gosen JC crosses (tried it in 17 gauge and just strung up some 16 gauge tonight),

marc, just curious but are you in Quebec?

JR
03-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks all for advice, the strings I have are indeed Fischer Tempo 16. Actually beginning to like them, certainly not as hard on my arm as the Pro Hurricane. Will try suggested alternatives on breakage!

03-12-2004, 09:29 AM
prior to the Gamma-ti-zation of Fischer (which brought about changes to recommended tension which are ludicrous) the suggested range on the Pro 1 was 57 mains/55 crosses for optimal overall performance. Try it....it's perfect esepcially with a crisp playing mono.