PDA

View Full Version : Is there one brand of racquets that you are most comfortable with?

RyanC
11-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I was discussing this with a fellow poster and we both agreed that, although we're both looking for the best racquet for our games, there is one brand we seem to be most comfortable with.

I was wondering if others are the same. Is there one brand of racquets where, even if it doesn't have your ideal specs, you feel most comfortable with? Im sure most people can play well with anything but is there one brand above all others that, in general, just feels 'right' to you? If there is, are you currently using that brand and if not, why not?

For the record, Prince is the one I adjust to quickest and feel most at home with, even though Im not crazy about the shape of the grip. I'm not really sure why as there's a lot of differences between so many of their models but I find it easiest to pick up one of their racquets and require very little adjustment time. At the other end of the scale, there's something about Head racquets thats always felt a bit 'off' to me. Again, no idea why.

Voltron
11-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Yonex right now.

Breaker
11-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Yonex and Dunlop, very difficult using other racquets for some reason; though it's probably more mental than the actual racquet.

Nextman916
11-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Nope i switch like crazy. Whatever suits me best at the moment.

Borat
11-26-2006, 08:51 AM
There are some individual racquets I like, but if you lead, re-grip, re-string, and re-balnce a racquet of the right head and grip size, you will get used to it. (it isn't the raquet, its the strings and the player more than anything)

Jack Romeo
11-26-2006, 09:03 AM
wilson - overall as a brand (even though the prostaffs feel different from the hammers, triads, etc. i really don't find any wilson frames to be uncomfortable)
yonex - rdx, nsrq and vcon series' are very comfortable to me; the other series' (rd-ti, srq-ti, urq-ti, mp) feel a little boardy to me especially at higher tensions
volkl - the catapults are quite comfortable. the v-engines too, although i know some here don't like these. also the c10pro and classic v1. haven't tried the dnx's.

4brotherdrive
11-26-2006, 09:13 AM
yes, i just cant get any control from any of the Babolat or prince rackets with my flat shots.

mctennis
11-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I prefer the feel and playability of Volkl racquets.

White_Rice
11-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Yonex bar none.

psamp14
11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I was discussing this with a fellow poster and we both agreed that, although we're both looking for the best racquet for our games, there is one brand we seem to be most comfortable with.

I was wondering if others are the same. Is there one brand of racquets where, even if it doesn't have your ideal specs, you feel most comfortable with? Im sure most people can play well with anything but is there one brand above all others that, in general, just feels 'right' to you? If there is, are you currently using that brand and if not, why not?

For the record, Prince is the one I adjust to quickest and feel most at home with, even though Im not crazy about the shape of the grip. I'm not really sure why as there's a lot of differences between so many of their models but I find it easiest to pick up one of their racquets and require very little adjustment time. At the other end of the scale, there's something about Head racquets thats always felt a bit 'off' to me. Again, no idea why.

i voted for 1 brand because i've only used wilson racquets...2 to be precise

but i think for everyone you dont have to settle on 1 brand, because there are so many racquets which are similar in specs, so whichever one feels best

but i think if you're satisfied with one brand, then when you want a new racquet, you kind of go after the same brand

bcsax123
11-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I would have to say Prince. (Most comfortable to hit with)

Head: (Awesome control, not enough spin)
Wilsons: Average
Yonex: I don't like the square head.
Dunlop: sweetspots are kind of small.
Babolats: too powerful and stiff.
Volkl: I've only tried a DNX 10 and it was ok I guess.

Ztalin
11-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Surprisingly, babolat. I like stiff, light, crisp racquets. I use a lot of spin, so I can keep the ball in play. I also really like head racquets (too bad too dense of string pattern).

Yonex are too muted/flexy/no power. Wilson are not bad. Prince just licks balls.

Morpheus
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
I always come back to Volkl. Don't know why. It just happens.

AJK1
11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Head, and anything European, as i can only use their handle shapes. I can't get used to the rounded Wilson/Prince type handle shape.

Tour 90
11-26-2006, 01:32 PM
I really like most of the Wilson Prostaff line with the exception of the Hyper Carbon which felt like hitting with 10 gauge strings.

servelefty2233
11-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Im most comfortable with prince rackets, i have used them ever since i started playing tennis.

Tennis Man
11-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I like Head and Wilson frames the most.

alan-n
11-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Wilson box beam racquets.

TnTBigman
11-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Head. I've grown so acustomed to their grip shape, that any other brand just feels funny (especially Yonex). I'll give props to Volkl. I almost bought one of theirs.

superstition
11-26-2006, 05:35 PM
1980s Wilson. Ultra 2. Kramer Prostaff. Prostaff 85.

Racquet evolution should have stopped around 1986.

The ironic thing is that my first racquets were widebeam light 1990s models. I went back in time, technology-wise. I simply can't play well with a racquet that has a head larger than 85". The only thing I like a larger racquet head for is returning serves. I could probably get used to a Federer-sized 90" racquet, but I think my ideal size would be around 80". I have a standard Ultra 2 and it's a bit too small. The Prostaff 85 is a bit too big. 80" is probably ideal.

Chang
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Wilson 6.1 (any). I think it's just mental because 6.1 was the first player's racquet I used and grew accustomed to. I really find it hard to use another brand except the POG.

hoosierbr
11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
For me it's all about feel. I like flexy, comfortable racquets. Volkl and Fischer seem to have the market on those.

First time I played with a Volkl it was love at first hit. The only problem has been finding a suitable frame.

Wilson racquets seem to be the best geard toward my type of game, serve-and-volley. But overall I've always found them too heavy and too stiff. Generally.

Yonex and Dunlop are nice. Good, all-around, solid frames.

I never cared for Prince or Babolat. Have only a little experience with Head but their racquets aren't really for me anyway.

Rookie
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
HEAD - Nothing more to say

pNoyr3D
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Right now i'm most comfortable with DUNLOP. I have used HEAD, BABOLAT, WILSON, and PRINCE. I really never felt comfortable and didn't like the feel of their racquets. DUNLOP seems great to me and I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

jonolau
11-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Volkl and Dunlop for me. There's a special feel about Volkl that cannot be described ...

BigGriff
11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Head racquets because of the control. I also love the shape of the handle. Playing with a rounder handle doesn't feel as good.

AndrewD
11-27-2006, 05:08 AM
It really depends on how far outside my comfort zone a particular racquet is. So, in general, I'm not going to feel more at ease with head heavy racquet from Prince than I will with a head light racquet from Dunlop. With racquets in my comfort zone (head light) then I find Prince the easiest to adjust to and the best fit for my game.

BiGGieStuFF
11-27-2006, 05:16 AM
I'm a prince junky. I don't know why.

theace21
11-27-2006, 05:55 AM
Head racquets because of the control. I also love the shape of the handle. Playing with a rounder handle doesn't feel as good.

I am just the opposite, whenever I hit with a Head racket - I never fell comfortable.

Ripper
11-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Thin beamed Prince raquets and throat flexing Yonex raquets.