PDA

View Full Version : The Joy of collecting old frames

netman
11-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Finally got around to stringing my latest orphan acqusition - the Rossignol Vectris 6.000 G.K. With a name that long, you've just got to give it a try. Its a graphite/kevlar frame that was one on the last racquets Rossignol sold in the U.S. 27 in. long, 16 x 19 pattern, 11.6 oz, even balance featuring the Rossi inverted bridge and a tapered, triangle frame.

Strung it at 50 lbs using Gosen SM 16. Didn't expect much, figuring it was probably way too flexible and low powered for me. Boy, was I surprised! Pinpoint control on groundies and serves, phenomenal slice and wonderful touch at the net. Very comfortable. Best part was it didn't need tons of topspin to keep the ball in play. You have to take a big cut at the ball to get depth, but it was almost impossible to hit the ball long. Flat shots were a breeze to hit with depth and accuracy. All in all a very enjoyable hitting experience. Next it is time for the acid test - use it in a match.

Every old frame I buy offers up some interesting surprises - some good, some bad. But at $2-3 a pop and an hour to restring them, its a cheap and fun way to add some variety to life and get a better understanding of the evolution of tennis racquet design. If you find yourself bored with all of today's frames designed for the massive topspin style of play, head down to your local thrift store or cruise some yard sales once in awhile and grab an orphan frame. You might be surprised at what you find.

-k-

ohplease
11-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Finally got around to stringing my latest orphan acqusition - the Rossignol Vectris 6.000 G.K. With a name that long, you've just got to give it a try. Its a graphite/kevlar frame that was one on the last racquets Rossignol sold in the U.S. 27 in. long, 16 x 19 pattern, 11.6 oz, even balance featuring the Rossi inverted bridge and a tapered, triangle frame.

Strung it at 50 lbs using Gosen SM 16. Didn't expect much, figuring it was probably way too flexible and low powered for me. Boy, was I surprised! Pinpoint control on groundies and serves, phenomenal slice and wonderful touch at the net. Very comfortable. Best part was it didn't need tons of topspin to keep the ball in play. You have to take a big cut at the ball to get depth, but it was almost impossible to hit the ball long. Flat shots were a breeze to hit with depth and accuracy. All in all a very enjoyable hitting experience. Next it is time for the acid test - use it in a match.

Every old frame I buy offers up some interesting surprises - some good, some bad. But at $2-3 a pop and an hour to restring them, its a cheap and fun way to add some variety to life and get a better understanding of the evolution of tennis racquet design. If you find yourself bored with all of today's frames designed for the massive topspin style of play, head down to your local thrift store or cruise some yard sales once in awhile and grab an orphan frame. You might be surprised at what you find.

-k-

Nice post. I totally agree. There's still lots and lots of good tennis to be played in vintage rackets.

The biggest issue I have with vintage is that the grommets are typically bad, and it's hard to find replacements.

Captain Haddock
11-26-2006, 02:40 PM
That's not just any old frame, that is a true gem you have found! The beam is quite similar to the Yonex Super RD Tour, and it produces a very muted feel. It's a real pleasure to hit groundstrokes with that frame. These racquets were designed so well! Of course, those shared grommets tend to crack and are hard to replace, the racquets are shorter than 27 inches (measure them, they are like Fischers at 26.75 in), the round buttcaps are kinda weird, and the Vectris are quite heavy by today's standards. My favorite of the Vectris line was the 9.000 DP (green), which felt more headlight than the others. Congrats on such a rare find!

Tour 90
11-26-2006, 04:12 PM
its a cheap and fun way to add some variety to life and get a better understanding of the evolution of tennis racquet design.-k-

More like reverse evolution, I feel that most older frames tend to feel better than most newer frames, with the exception of a few, ncode 90, PS tour 90, and Dunlop Mfil 200 original.

I am happy that you enjoy your old racquets as much as I do, I wish I hadn't sold most of my older frames ;) (kept my Fischer Matchmaker and Davis Classic though!)

joe sch
11-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Netman,

I have done much of the same, getting and trying a many of the old wood and early graphite frames as possible and trying them out. I could not afford them growing up so its even sweeter now to have owned most of them. I prefer the older more flexible rackets over the new rackets and almost never play rackets from the last decade.

Joe

anirut
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Netman,

I have done much of the same, getting and trying a many of the old wood and early graphite frames as possible and trying them out. I could not afford them growing up so its even sweeter now to have owned most of them. I prefer the older more flexible rackets over the new rackets and almost never play rackets from the last decade.

Joe

Same here.

Steve Huff
11-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Joe has had the pleasure of living a retro dream, getting to play a wood tournament, on grass, with everyone in white (Jack Purcell's optional). The only thing better would have been standing across the net from Sampras and hitting a clean winner off his first serve down the middle, Pete with his Kramer, me with my brand new Boronite II. I think I dreamt that once.

Actually, I used an old PK Golden Ace one day in my regular foursome. They were kidding me about it not having any power. My first 3 serves were aces or service winners. And you couldn't believe the kick those old flexible things produced. If only I could hit that little sweetspot everytime.

thejerk
11-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I have a closet full of old frames. The other day I went out a hit with a prince tri-comp. What a sweet frame. I also have some polarises and other head power wedge designs that my wife uses. They are 660 and the power wedge seems to actually work, them frames are pretty nice.

Yea, I hit every garage sale and thrift store I come accross.

Deuce
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I like it when people try old frames and are pleasantly surprised - or even shocked - not only at how nice the racquets feel, but also at how well they play with them.

Every time a post like that appears, it totally disproves the 'theory' of some posters here who consistently claim that the older frames are useless, and the newer, bigger, racquets are much better.

_skunk_
11-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I like it when people try old frames and are pleasantly surprised - or even shocked - not only at how nice the racquets feel, but also at how well they play with them.

Every time a post like that appears, it totally disproves the 'theory' of some posters here who consistently claim that the older frames are useless, and the newer, bigger, racquets are much better.

Totally agree with you, my main is always my beloved Rossignol F200, and some young guys are really well surprised how it plays when I give my rackets to them for a try.
Just bought other 2 F200, brand new never used :), restrunged with natural gut, and ready to go :).

theace21
11-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Totally agree with you, my main is always my beloved Rossignol F200, and some young guys are really well surprised how it plays when I give my rackets to them for a try.
Just bought other 2 F200, brand new never used :), restrunged with natural gut, and ready to go :).

They were awesome rackets. Nice find - 2 never used!

joe sch
11-27-2006, 07:07 AM

Aside from the max 200g, the Rossi Fseriers, like the F200, are my favorite vintage graphite rackets to play. With natural, they are a dream. Looking for a dubs partner :)

jace112
11-27-2006, 07:26 AM
I learned tennis with Rossignols! F200, F280 (with the micro pattern) and the red Vectris. I don't remember the exact name. Can you make some pics, please?

VGP
11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
I think this thread needs pics.....

I know that there are threads of people's gear, but how about using this thread to show off the old ones.

netman
11-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Glad to see there are many others who enjoy the old frames.

I've got an F200 as well. Thats what lead me to buy the Vectris since it looked like a modern interpretation of the F200. Agree the F200 is a blast to hit with as long as you bring the power.

I'm ashamed to admit I now have over 90 old racquets hanging around the house. With the exception of about 5 of them, all were bought for a couple of dollars each at the thrifts or yard sales. Many of my wood frames look like they never even left the house. Same for many of my 80's frames. However every one has seen court time on my watch. No slackers allowed in Netman's Home for Orphaned and Abandoned Tennis Racquets! Got to earn your room and board.

I'd post some pics, but not sure how to do it inside a message.

-k-

joe sch
11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I learned tennis with Rossignols! F200, F280 (with the micro pattern) and the red Vectris. I don't remember the exact name. Can you make some pics, please?

Here are a few of the rossi rackets :

http://www.woodtennis.com/rossi/rossiF200_230_250a.jpg
http://www.woodtennis.com/rossi/rossiF200_230_250b.jpg

hadoken
11-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm sure a lot of guys here still use old frames like myself. Those of us who grew up right around the pre-widebody/ 1st gen widebody frames era saw some nice frames on the market...no need to upgrade if you ask me.

psp2
11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I strung up a PK Black Ace recently with Titan gut 17g/SPPP 18g at 46/48lbs and was amazed how similar this racquet feels like the PS85. It's the one with "G 98" on the side of the throat.

Specs:

Strung (no lead): 13.0 oz. (369 g) and 3pts. HL, with a leather grip and 1 layer of Tourna. The head size/shape is almost identical to the PS85, too.

Composition: 100% Graphite Fibers

Groundies: good for flat ball hitters. TS is quite easy to generate, just slightly more difficult than the PS85. My 1hbh felt awesome with the racquet. I could really drive the ball dtl with power since I hit these shots fairly flat. My bh chip returns in doubles felt great. The balls skimmed low over the net and had good penetrations.

Volleys: nice and crisp. The heft of the frame really helps to punch through the ball.

Serves: Most difficult aspect of this racquet. I need more time to get used to this racquet on serve. I wasn't hitting my kickers as well as I could with the PS85.

Best of all, I think I paid ~$15 for the racquet!

anirut
11-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes, the Black Ace ...

I still play with mine at 60, full synthetic. Is yours the Made in Japan. My BlackAce also has 98, but not G98.

We seem to have 2 similar rackets, eh? The BlackAce and the Edge.

psp2
11-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, the Black Ace ...

I still play with mine at 60, full synthetic. Is yours the Made in Japan. My BlackAce also has 98, but not G98.

Mine doesn't have a "Made in ____ " info. The buttcap says "Kennex Sports Co. LTD. USA." I'm assuming it's made in the US.

I have bunch of the old Head "Edge" series here. TXE, Composite Edge, etc. They are great frames from the old days!!

Do you have a Black Ace II? That one has a really small head.... something like 65 sq. in. The head size is a fraction of the Black Ace. It has "94" on the side of the throat.

Deuce
11-27-2006, 11:02 PM
The Black Ace and Graphite Edge are really not that similar. The Edge has a purely heavenly feel to it that the Black Ace lacks.
The Black Ace has much more feel to it than any of today's racquets, though.

psp2
11-27-2006, 11:16 PM
The Black Ace and Graphite Edge are really not that similar. The Edge has a purely heavenly feel to it that the Black Ace lacks.
The Black Ace has much more feel to it than any of today's racquets, though.

I think what he was trying to say is that we BOTH have a Black Ace and a TXE Edge.

_skunk_
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
They were awesome rackets. Nice find - 2 never used!

Yes I've been lucky, I found a dealer, he's selling the last model the F200 blu color, I presume he still has quite a number of them, never used, i've already given his contact to some friends of mine as well interested in the old rossignol.

_skunk_
11-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Aside from the max 200g, the Rossi Fseriers, like the F200, are my favorite vintage graphite rackets to play. With natural, they are a dream. Looking for a dubs partner :)

Absolutely a dream, as well the Max200, which i have it as well, but i still prefere the Rossignol, I've also 2 old Ivan Lendl rackets (GT adidas), but i've never been able to hit with them, they are too much demanding for my level.

jace112
11-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Absolutely a dream, as well the Max200, which i have it as well, but i still prefere the Rossignol, I've also 2 old Ivan Lendl rackets (GT adidas), but i've never been able to hit with them, they are too much demanding for my level.
The GTX played like wood with a composite paint :p

anirut
11-28-2006, 01:32 AM
I think what he was trying to say is that we BOTH have a Black Ace and a TXE Edge.

Yes, that's what I meant. And, no, I don't have the BlackAce II.

And, how about the Golden Ace? And the the Red Head ...

Man, we should really put up pics ...

coachrick
11-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Oh, I thought we were talking about OLD rackets...just kidding. I've got quite a few from the early 1900s---not hitable for the most. We can go a touch older in this discussion with 'boom years' rackets like the original Graphite Edge, original POG(POG is pre-grommets), Head Arthur Ashe Comp(just hit with one Sunday) and the gold and green aluminum Yonex sticks. Also just picked up a T2000 and T3000 to test my stringing memory.

joe sch
11-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Here is one of the most demanding and pleasurable small head old school graphite rackets ever produced:

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/headxrc1.jpg

I consider the head vilas woodie about the same for the wood racket category.

psp2
11-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, that's what I meant. And, no, I don't have the BlackAce II.

And, how about the Golden Ace? And the the Red Head ...

Man, we should really put up pics ...

I do have a Golden Ace. Wicked kick serves!!!! I don't have a Red Head. Isn't that one an alu frame?

coachrick
11-28-2006, 10:17 AM
The grommets from the XRC will fit the orig. Graphite Edge, BTW.

netman
11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh, I thought we were talking about OLD rackets...just kidding. I've got quite a few from the early 1900s---not hitable for the most. We can go a touch older in this discussion with 'boom years' rackets like the original Graphite Edge, original POG(POG is pre-grommets), Head Arthur Ashe Comp(just hit with one Sunday) and the gold and green aluminum Yonex sticks. Also just picked up a T2000 and T3000 to test my stringing memory.

That list brings back memories. I remember the Yonex aluminums were considered very cool back in the day. But they paled in comparison to the Ashe Comp. The Ashe Comp was the Exclaibur all us little tennis rats longed to wield but could never hope to afford on grass cutting money. :)

-k-

Pushmaster
11-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Here is one of the most demanding and pleasurable small head old school graphite rackets ever produced:

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/headxrc1.jpg

I consider the head vilas woodie about the same for the wood racket category.

Joe S, looks like the throat of that XRC is cracked, or is it just the pic?

vitasGremembered
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Here are a few of the rossi rackets :

http://www.woodtennis.com/rossi/rossiF200_230_250a.jpg
http://www.woodtennis.com/rossi/rossiF200_230_250b.jpg

I loved the white F230 and the F200s. Unfortunately they all eventually cracked. Thanks for the memories.

I've still got one or two F200s but damn they are heavy and nonresponsive compared to today's racquets (I hit the NXG mid now.)

psp2
11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Joe S, looks like the throat of that XRC is cracked, or is it just the pic?

It's the tie for the racquet tag.

Rabbit
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I have an XRC as well. It's a fairly sweet hit.

anirut
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I do have a Golden Ace. Wicked kick serves!!!! I don't have a Red Head. Isn't that one an alu frame?

Yes, it's aluminum. The Red Head is officially called Head Professional. Too bad I don't have the accompanying round-headed blue head that came out around the same time.

I also have a mint Wilson Ultra Graphite. The first one that "Sister Andrea" used in her teen days. This one came out around the same time as the Head XRC.

I think we should start putting up pictures ... and turn this thread into "The Racket Collectors' Club"

joe sch
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Yes, it's aluminum. The Red Head is officially called Head Professional. Too bad I don't have the accompanying round-headed blue head that came out around the same time.

I also have a mint Wilson Ultra Graphite. The first one that "Sister Andrea" used in her teen days. This one came out around the same time as the Head XRC.

I think we should start putting up pictures ... and turn this thread into "The Racket Collectors' Club"

Ok Anirut, here are a few pics of those popular head aluminums with hang tags showing the official names.
I like the red, blue & brown descriptions :

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/headmasterproedge1.jpg

I actually like the original ultra pws and head xrc better than the ultra II since the 2nd version is too powerful for my strokes. Would probably be nice with some poly, if your arm holds up ;)

anirut
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Joe, Thanks for the pics.

Right, the Head Master and the Alu Edge.

Am I gettin' old? Enjoying the sights of rackets of my younger days?

tandayu
11-28-2006, 08:23 PM
NIce...very nice,

Please continue post more pictures. I will also post some of my old model frames.

Deuce
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
The grommets from the XRC will fit the orig. Graphite Edge, BTW.
Only because they're individual grommets....

The headsize on the Graphite Edge is 81 sq. in., whereas the headsize on the XRC is likely below 70 sq. in.

galain
11-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Most people know of my Rossignol illness so I've been sitting back and revisiting this thread with a smile on my face each morning. I enclose a couple of pics from my collection (minus the multiples, my F290 and F300 and Prince Mag 90).

I don't know how I'd survive without some of these.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2myufwl.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2mdowmw.jpg

anirut
11-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Galain ... what a beautiful collection!

_skunk_
11-29-2006, 04:13 AM
Most people know of my Rossignol illness so I've been sitting back and revisiting this thread with a smile on my face each morning. I enclose a couple of pics from my collection (minus the multiples, my F290 and F300 and Prince Mag 90).

I'm jealous of your collection, I love Rossignol frames, F200 is still my main.
F230 i've played a lot as well, would be really nice to hit together with another Rossignol fan.

AAAA
11-29-2006, 06:52 AM
So far I have 4 Fischer frames from the 90s.

netman
11-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Okay. Since my post on the Vectris 6.000 started this whole thing. here are pictures of it along side my F200.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/K_K_Bucket/Rossi200andVectris6.jpg

and a closeup

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/K_K_Bucket/RossiVectris6Closeup.jpg

-k-

Rabbit
11-29-2006, 09:10 AM

Damn, man, that's a good looking Vilas you got there. Stencilled and everything!

I am also coveting that Edgewood right now....

coachrick
11-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Only because they're individual grommets....

The headsize on the Graphite Edge is 81 sq. in., whereas the headsize on the XRC is likely below 70 sq. in.

Indeedy, my reference was to the heavy duty INDIVIDUAL grommets used for both frames--much stronger than most current grommets in use. BTW, Yoneyama(Yonex) had some pretty beefy grommets in the 70s--green or tannish to match the color of the frames.

coachrick
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM

gal, unless you live in Burlington, VT, I can't imagine how you held on to a solid R-40 all these years...most of those delaminated 25 years ago! Quite a collection!!!

galain
11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
gal, unless you live in Burlington, VT, I can't imagine how you held on to a solid R-40 all these years...most of those delaminated 25 years ago! Quite a collection!!!

Ha! There's plenty more Rick - they just wouldn't fit on the camera. Vermont is a long way from Melbourne, last time I looked, but supposedly a beautiful part of the world.

Brere Rabbit! Indeedy - that Vilas has pride of place my friend. When I'm feeling enthused enough to show off to friends, the Vilas is the one I pull out and wave in front of them. How are things mate? Surviving now that Vegemite has been outlawed over there?

Rabbit
11-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Ha! There's plenty more Rick - they just wouldn't fit on the camera. Vermont is a long way from Melbourne, last time I looked, but supposedly a beautiful part of the world.

Brere Rabbit! Indeedy - that Vilas has pride of place my friend. When I'm feeling enthused enough to show off to friends, the Vilas is the one I pull out and wave in front of them. How are things mate? Surviving now that Vegemite has been outlawed over there?

Vegemite outlawed (you're not serious?)? Damn Bush. Oh well, the Promite is still kicking!

Doing good. I haven't forgotten that I owe you some grits. :) How're things Down Under?

tandayu
11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
R40.......Johan Kriek

That is one rare item

vsbabolat
11-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Galain, in the first pic to the left of the R40 is that the top of a Johan Kriek Autograph I see? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me? The Johan Kriek Auto is one of my all time favorite looking racquets.

galain
11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Galain, in the first pic to the left of the R40 is that the top of a Johan Kriek Autograph I see? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me? The Johan Kriek Auto is one of my all time favorite looking racquets.

You've good eyes VS - it's a Kriek auto. Couldn't fit it in frame when I took the shot though.

Tandayu - I didn't realise the R40 was that hard to come by - I still hit with mine for giggle now and then. Perhaps I shouldn't!

Rabbit - life is good Down here - just a little end of year crazyness that means not enough time to myself and too much time for the boss. Hope life is smiley in Miss.

galain
11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Here you go VS and Alex

A better look for you guys.

http://tinypic.com/dyugza.jpg

vsbabolat
11-30-2006, 06:35 AM
galain, Thanks for the pics. I have 2 brand new Rossignol FT 5.60 with the plastic still on the handle. Rossignol made some beautiful frames. It is a real shame that they still don't make racquets anymore. Rossignol seem to have concentrated on design and not on crazy fancy materiels like ceramic, boron, and etc... I miss them, they had a original design that was unique with unique playing characteristics.

galain
11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
You're preaching to the converted my friend! Kev T should be on this thread too - he's another Rossignol loyalist (even though he's swinging a PK these days). There are a quite a number of people on these boards who miss Rossi terribly. Like you say - there was never really any true alternative to them in feel and playability. They stood alone there. Any time you want to start a Rossi thread I'll be there mate!

Deuce
11-30-2006, 10:46 PM
If Rossignol do decide to get back to making tennis racquets, I hope their marketing campaign slogan will be "Rossignol: The Anti-V-Engine."