PDA

View Full Version : replacing grommets v. using head tape

jrm04s
11-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I am wondering if anyone has a say on if it is better to to replace my worn grommets, tape up the worn grommets with head tape, or replace the worn grommets and then tape up with head tape. It is only a matter of about 20 bucks but wanted to know if it is worth the money and time to actually replace the grommets.

Tour 90
11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Just curious, but aren't the grommets recessed into the frame a bit? Meaning, they are more indented than the outside of the actual frame.
If you are talking about the head guard I would just tape up the old one if the worn look bothers you and buy a new set when/if you sell the racquet.
Hope this helps!

Tennis Man
11-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I am wondering if anyone has a say on if it is better to to replace my worn grommets, tape up the worn grommets with head tape, or replace the worn grommets and then tape up with head tape. It is only a matter of about 20 bucks but wanted to know if it is worth the money and time to actually replace the grommets.

Grommets alone can't protect the frames from paint chips. I try to replace the worn grommets as often as possible and use head tape as well. It works for me.

Duzza
11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I think he meant the bumper. Replacing grommets with head tape is stoopid.

jrm04s
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I did mean the bumper, the plastic on the top. Is that necessary to replace or just tape the worn with head tape is sufficient?

Deuce
11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
It's much better to replace the bumper/grommet set. The reason is that the plastic bumper does a much better job of protecting the racquet than head tape does. Head tape basically has to be added or replaced after every court session - because as soon as you scrape the frame on the court, the tape rips. Plastic bumpers are much more resiliant, and can last for years, depending upon how often you go down to dig low balls out.

How would it cost you $20 to replace a grommet set? Grommet sets cost only $5 - and everyone is capable of putting a new grommet set in a frame themselves.