PDA

View Full Version : One more thing please : i.radical vs. LM radical

Alafter
11-27-2006, 06:29 AM
What's the difference? Which is better?

anirut
11-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Haven't played with any of 'em, but it seems the iRad is better.

Alafter
11-27-2006, 06:46 AM
i am going all OS from now on. i just came to that conclusion re4cntly

anirut
11-27-2006, 06:51 AM
To each his own .. I have no probs about that.

For me it's gonna be mid-size until I can't swing the racket.

caesar66
11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I used to use the i.radical oversize and thought it was a very nice racquet for baseline bashing. I couldnt get alot of power on my serves, however control was nice. Few double faults, but few service winners as well. I dont know what kind of backhand you use, but I have a one hander, and dont let anyone tell you oversize racquets are bad for one handers, I got just as much pace and spin with it as I do from my prostaff tour 95s now. I demoed the OS LM radicals a few times and found serving to be better, but groundstrokes less stable. the racquet felt sort of "hollow" for some reason. I could still play ok w/ either racquet, but I dont, because I never felt quite solid volleying with them. Both the i and the lm felt pushed around when volleying; I could always get the ball over the net, but just bumping it over was how it felt. Couldnt get alot of depth on volleys when I needed it, nor angle. I tried leading the i and it didnt really help, just made it more cumbersome at net. Overall, i'd rate the i.radical OS over the LM OS. It's just more stable on groundstrokes, feels like it has better plow through. and serving isnt bad, just not terribly powerful compared to some other racquets.
For what its worth, I also demoed the 98 size LM radical and found it to be great at baseline and MUCH better at net, if I were to go back and get a radical now, I'd get that one; I try to get into the net when I can and had alot better success w/ it. If, however, I was going to stick to the baseline, I would go w/ the oversize veriosns. Both are fine, but I personally find the i.Radical to be a better fit for baseline bashing.

Alafter
11-27-2006, 10:20 AM
thank for the input. i must say that i hear that thing about it being hollow a lot

anyone else?

TnTBigman
11-27-2006, 11:30 AM
i find the i.Rad MP to be stiffer and have a bit more control than the LM Rad MP.

Steve Huff
11-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I think the iRad is about 10g lighter (per specs). It sure feels lighter to swing,also.

Dan007
11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I think the iRad is about 10g lighter (per specs). It sure feels lighter to swing,also.

All you have to do is add lead, besides being light, it's a great baseliner racket. It is way better than LM radical.

Ace Rimmer
11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Never played with the LM Radical; however, the i-Radical OS seemed to be a very comfortable racquet to play with, had much better control and less power than most oversized racquets, and more spin than the i-Prestige MP (never tried the i-Radical MP). Serves were accurate but not over-powering; volleys were pretty good because of the head light balance; and returns were were good but not outstanding. When I added lead to the head, it cranked up the serves another notch and improved serve returns; but, volleys were a little less stable. This one and the defunct Volkl C-10 OS rank as the best OS racquet I have played with - and I usually stay away from OS racquets. The i-Radical has a very nice feel to it.

katastrof
11-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Both are very good racquets, but quite different (I played with i.OS ans LM.MP so far, so one can claim my comparison is li'l shaky). You can feel the difference in swingweight right away, so you must decide whether you like the same weight with a high or low swingweight. The iRad will be better to customize if you'd like a heavy racquet without beefing up the swingweight.

mucat
11-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I have tiRad and iRad, both are OS and both are my regular rackets. They are very good racket. Although I never play with LM Rad, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would just pick the cheaper one if I were you.

TnTBigman
11-28-2006, 01:55 PM
i played with the Ti.Rad OS for 8 yrs. great control but its definetly too lite. I played with the i.Rad OS in an attempt to upgrade, but i found that at the time it was heavy. Like others have said, if you plan to customize with lead, go heavier so there will be less customization. i.Rad.

Alafter
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks people of this board.

Anyways, I am hoping to not have to customize it much at all. The most I would probably do is add just enough grams to the butt is order to make it approx the same headlight as pog OS.

On other notes, there are 2 things I am looking for in the racquet. One is spin. I am not exceptional at controling or generating spin (I can only generate up to a certain level), and so any help I can get from the racquet, I will take. So which is better, LM or I.rad? The reviews sure bash on I rad spin capability...

The other thing is a generous sweet spot and a good feel. ERm, I think the POG OS strung loosly feels very forgiving and that's without the dampener. I have a slightly tailed weighted shark OS and that's also another pretty forgiving one. Both feels good to hit in/near the sweet spot.

headfan91
11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
the lm rad has a dense string pattern, so there isn't great spin, But I'm not sure about the i rad.

mucat
11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I use both tiRad and iRad for a few years now, completely stock. It of course depends on your level and style. I string both at around 58-60lbs, very very lower tension. Because of the low tension, it can handle heavy ball pretty well, I found a couple lbs higher would make it noticeably difficult to handle heavy ball for these racket (since they are lighter racket).

The spin potential of these rackets are good, they provide good spin control. So they don't help with spin but they don't hinder when you need spin. I think iRad and lmRad had the same string pattern.

Sweetspot is good for me, but that's because of the low tension.

My next racket will definitely be another Radical. ;)

Alafter
11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
thanks mucat! Ok so I rad dont hinder the spin, sweet spot is fairly large

It's also got a swingweight of 302, vs LM Rad 330. Hmmmmm.....Both swing real different eh?

dqk
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I've been through most of the radicals:

ti.radical os and mp
i.radical os and mp
lm radical os and mp

My favorite so far is the i.radical mp. I have added a leather grip and the i.prestige grommets as well as two strips of lead tape (5 in. each) at 3 and 9 o'clock. For me it is just about the perfect racquet. Both the ti.radical and liquidmetal radicals were a little too flexy for me, but if I had to choose one of those I would go with the ti.radical. I personally prefer the mp because it feels tighter, more controllable, and it just feels "right" when you really connect with the ball. I feel like I can dictate where I want a shot to go - not that that happens all the time, but I am most consistent with the i.radical.

Good luck,
dqk

Alafter
11-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks D,

Unfortunately, there is a reason why i am asking OS OS OS. If you havent figured out, it's because i am newb, and I hit off center a lot more, and OS really does make a difference. A hit near the edge of the racquet on an MP is a hit on the edge of the sweetspot on an OS.

grizzly4life
11-30-2006, 07:42 AM
i've been thru tons of racquets and finally settled (i think?) on i.radical OS (and i can get them very cheaply)..

anyhow, find i can hit out on the ball very aggressively and less risk of ball going long... at times, i can hit winners fairly close to the opposition. and when i hit well and past opposition, the ball will go way up the fence on the first bounce...

could be because i haven't been playing much and this is very "easy" racquet.... if i play alot in summer, i'd probably look at ncode95 again....

but really enjoying the i.radical OS right now.... too many others i've played, the ball would go up to 2 feet long on shots that i thought i hit properly.