PDA

View Full Version : PK Pro 5G durability ?

bad_call
11-27-2006, 07:10 AM
been looking into racquets easier on the arm and this one came up. however durability is the question since reading that the frame seems to crack around the throat. anyone posting their experience is appreciated. :-D

mark rodgers
11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I've owned several 5Gs and 7Gs. I had never had a problem with any 5G. I did however buy a new 7G a couple years ago and it cracked in the throat. I returned it to PK and they didn't have any in my grip size so I asked if I could try a Ki5. They made me pay a $15 upgrade fee. When I got the Ki5, it also cracked. I returned that racquet to PK and they replaced it. This time the racquet was solid and did not crack.

With that story all I can say is that PK will replace any defective racquet as long as it's within the warranty period and as long they have that racquet and grip size in stock. It seems lately that they are having problems with availability. Another downside is that you have to pay for shipping it to them and you also lose out on the string job because they send you a new and unstrung racquet. I string my own so it's not a big issue but i wish they would also send some complimentary sets of string with a racquet replacement.

Also my problems occurred during a short time span. Currently I have a couple Ki models that I just purchased: Two Ki15 PSEs and one Ki5 PSE. They are very different but I have not had any issues with cracking. Hopefully, any past problems with cracking they have fixed. So far, so good.

Steve Huff
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I've broken a couple of 5g's, but I can't say they're fragile. I still have my original 2 black and yellow ones, and they have held up well. I've framed many, many shots off the top of the frame, shots that I thought would surely break them, but they've held up.

I will say that I have had several 5g's that cracked the small piece that divides the handle in two (on the inside). The piece doesn't seem to be structural in any way, and it's an easy fix with a little rubber cement.

Pro Kennex does have a 2-year warranty, but a couple of years ago, they started charging to send a racket in. I thought that was a terrible policy. I don't think other manufacturers do that, and PK shouldn't either. I guess it discourages people from sending in rackets. Plus, I have had a couple of incidents where it took them several months to replace a racket. At the time, they were having manufacturing problems I think. They couldn't get the rackets. But, overall, they are good, solid frames. And, they are easy on the arm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

haerdalis
11-27-2006, 09:12 AM
I guess most of us would rather have the frame break than have our arm break...

bad_call
11-27-2006, 09:52 AM
thanks for sharing. this racquet has now made it to my Christmas list. :)

heycal
11-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Just be careful that you don't hurl it to the ground and then pick it up and smash it repeatedly against a metal post after blowing a set point. I can tell you from personal experience that a 5g will not survive something like that...

Bolt
11-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Just be careful that you don't hurl it to the ground and then pick it up and smash it repeatedly against a metal post after blowing a set point. I can tell you from personal experience that a 5g will not survive something like that...

How did the metal post hold up?

haerdalis
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
What about the arm, did the kinetic beads soften the shock?

heycal
11-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Both the post and the arm held up fine. The 5g was the weak link in this case.

The Dampener
11-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Both the post and the arm held up fine. The 5g was the weak link in this case.

We all knew the 5G was arm-friendly. Now we know it will even sacrifice itself in order to save an arm.

Gentlemen, please remove your tennis caps in honor of this fallen hero.

heycal
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Rest assured this hero was not tossed into an anonymous dumpster beside some dilapidated municipal court after valiantly giving itself to the cause. Instead it was gently placed in a trash receptacle in the shadow of Ashe Stadium in a midnight ceremony on the hallowed grounds of the National Tennis Center -- the equivalent of a burial at Arlington -- where it joined the ghosts of famous rackets broken by McEnroe, Nastase, Safin and so many others over the years, resting in eternal slumber, undisturbed by the dull roar of jets passing overhead.

The Dampener
11-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I feel a tear welling in my eye...

I pledge to never again fling my 5G ten feet into the air in vain after missing an easy drop volley (even though I do catch it every time on the way down).

Steve Huff
11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Heycal, did you send it in? I guess they probably wouldn't have bought the story about a mis-hit.