PDA

View Full Version : Any love for the FXP Instinct?

Love4Tennis
11-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Hi there... I have been playing with the LM Radical OS for a while and like the weight and power, however I would like to move to a smaller headed frame. I hit with the LM Instinct a while back and liked the way it played.

Anyone have any insight on the FXP Instinct and its good and bad points?

jaykay
11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I really liked the FXP Instinct and still own a pair of them (strung with Head RIP Control 17). Nice, easy to swing frame and surprisingly stable. I esply liked the accuracy/precision. What I didn't like was that I had to put a lot of effort to have punch in my strokes and didn't find this racquet maneuverable enough for quick exchanges at the net (in doubles, for instance).

I graduated to a 12oz frame (Dunlop HM 200G 95) only because I wanted more weight behind my strokes, and improve my serve + volley.

Love4Tennis
11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks jaykay. I was under the impression that most players found the FXP Instinct to have a little too MUCH pop, so it is good to hear someone with a different stand. Do you find more power from the 200G?

Also, do you think it is more maneuverable than the FXP Instinct?

I hope there are some others with some FXP Instinct experiences as well.

Rafa's best friend
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks jaykay. I was under the impression that most players found the FXP Instinct to have a little too MUCH pop, so it is good to hear someone with a different stand. Do you find more power from the 200G?

I thought someone in the past here had said that flexpoint tech does not work and it actually makes you lose more control.??? FXP instinct better than LIq instinct ??? And why did they not make this into extended version ???:confused:

Love4Tennis
11-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Not sure if the FXP Instinct is less controlled than the LM. Anyone have experience on this?

vinnier6
11-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Not sure if the FXP Instinct is less controlled than the LM. Anyone have experience on this?

its just about the same racquet...if you like the radical os but want a smaller frame, why not just switch to the radical mp...and if you like the 100 head size of the instinct then why not try the radical tour....even better if you ask me....

Love4Tennis
11-28-2006, 06:32 AM
its just about the same racquet...if you like the radical os but want a smaller frame, why not just switch to the radical mp...and if you like the 100 head size of the instinct then why not try the radical tour....even better if you ask me....

Thanks vinnier6. when you say they are just about the same racquet, do you mean the LM vs the FXP Instinct? Or the Radical and Instinct?

As for switching to the MP Radical, I have used one but didn't like the 18x20 string pattern.... and the FXP radical tours 16x18 string pattern was just too open for me, and I was breaking strings too often.

jaykay
11-28-2006, 03:06 PM

Hey Love4Tennis - First off, I didn't think the FXP Instinct had too much pop. TMP (i.e. Too Much Pop) = Babolat Pure Drive. The Instinct has got good control. This was partly because I had it strung tight (61lbs) with an extremely low powered multifilament string (Head RIP Control 17). Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I found the Instinct to be more stable than the Radical (most people would consider this opinion blasphemy... but this was my experience and I stand firm by it).

Finally, the transition from a 11.3oz racquet (i.e. FXP Instinct gripsize 4-1/2 with overgrip) to a 12.1oz racquet (i.e. Dunlop HM 200G gripsize 4-3/8 with Yonex Supergrap and Dunlop vibration dampener) was fairly easy. This was entirely because the 200G is easy to swing and very maneuverable. Totally love it. There is a thread in this section called 'Dunlop 200G Club' and I have shared my opinion on this frame in this thread... you can check it out.

Hope this helps.

jaykay
11-28-2006, 03:08 PM

I owned both LM and FXP Instinct and honestly couldn't find ANY difference between the two. The LM Instinct Tour XL on the other hand, was terrible for me... just couldn't control it. The xtra length also noticeably slowed down my strokes and I couldn't adjust to it.

OnyxZ28
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I liked the FXP Instinct. My problem with it was that my shots, although they had zip, didn't have the heaviness that I normally have with my PC600s.

laff66
11-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I recently bought a used FXP Instinct to long-term demo. Just so you'll see where I'm coming from, the other racquets I have are: Npro Surge, Yonex RDX 500MP, FXP Radical Tour, Babolat Aeropro Control, and APD+. I really liked how the instinct played, but with fast, "loopy" strokes, and a fair amount of topspin in my game, I found that the Instinct didn't seem to spin the ball as well. I know it has a tighter string pattern than the others I have, and maybe thats it, but I was really having trouble with the ball hitting the net instead of spinning up and over. A flatter hitting friend tried it and loved it so much he immediately bought it from me...

AJK1
11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
laff66, care to give us your impressions on your other sticks?

Love4Tennis
11-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Hey Love4Tennis - First off, I didn't think the FXP Instinct had too much pop. TMP (i.e. Too Much Pop) = Babolat Pure Drive. The Instinct has got good control. This was partly because I had it strung tight (61lbs) with an extremely low powered multifilament string (Head RIP Control 17). Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, I found the Instinct to be more stable than the Radical (most people would consider this opinion blasphemy... but this was my experience and I stand firm by it)

Thanks jaykay - I like what you are saying about the comparison to the Radical. I was hoping that may be the case. Hopefully after the holidays I'll be able to get to the club and get a few hits in with the FXP Instinct.

I definitely enjoyed the feel of my Radical but always wanted something with a smaller head. The MP was just too dense of a string pattern for me. Hopefully the Instinct will fit the bill.

Love4Tennis
11-29-2006, 06:18 AM
I liked the FXP Instinct. My problem with it was that my shots, although they had zip, didn't have the heaviness that I normally have with my PC600s.

Thanks Onyx - I doubt many sticks will give the heaviness that your PC600 gives. Those are definitely sweet playing sticks.

Did you find good control from the FXP Instinct?

I recently bought a used FXP Instinct to long-term demo. Just so you'll see where I'm coming from, the other racquets I have are: Npro Surge, Yonex RDX 500MP, FXP Radical Tour, Babolat Aeropro Control, and APD+. I really liked how the instinct played, but with fast, "loopy" strokes, and a fair amount of topspin in my game, I found that the Instinct didn't seem to spin the ball as well. I know it has a tighter string pattern than the others I have, and maybe thats it, but I was really having trouble with the ball hitting the net instead of spinning up and over. A flatter hitting friend tried it and loved it so much he immediately bought it from me...

Thanks for the comparison laff66 - Did you find that the Instinct was stable compared to the others you are using?

OnyxZ28
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I thought the control was great. I especially liked it on inside out forehands. I agree with pvs posters that the normal Instinct > the Instinct XL.

Love4Tennis
11-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Onyx... I can't wait to grab one and get some hitting in.