PDA

View Full Version : racquet size & age

papa
11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Along with many others I've tried to keep some semblence of my game by changing to larger racquets and different strings - type and tensions. However, I find myself playing worse with these new combinations - or think I am. Presently, I'm using the O3 blue with big banger at 55#'s but the ball is really starting to fly on me. Gets into your mind and all of sudden your not stroking the ball right trying to keep it in the court. The "blue" is a little less than 110 inches and I find it difficult to take a good swing because of the power in the racquet.

Although I'm probably old enough to have invented tennis, I still prefer to swing hard and wonder if others have found the same problem and what they have done to take some of the power out of these new sticks. I went up from the mid-size Prince T3 which is around 100 square inches - maybe I should not have changed.

Comments.

Voltron
11-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Umm, try the Yonex RDS 001 MP or RDX MP, or maybe a POG OS.

Ripper
11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't agree with that you NEED to change to larger (or whatever) raquets because of age.

papa
11-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, thats not a bad idea (POG OS). Have a couple of them which I tried a few years back. Maybe I'll get them restrung. Actually played with the POG at one time and liked it but wasn't wild about the OS - maybe I had it strung too tight.

Umm, try the Yonex RDS 001 MP or RDX MP, or maybe a POG OS.

Midlife crisis
11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Along with many others I've tried to keep some semblence of my game by changing to larger racquets and different strings - type and tensions. However, I find myself playing worse with these new combinations - or think I am. Presently, I'm using the O3 blue with big banger at 55#'s but the ball is really starting to fly on me. Gets into your mind and all of sudden your not stroking the ball right trying to keep it in the court. The "blue" is a little less than 110 inches and I find it difficult to take a good swing because of the power in the racquet.

Although I'm probably old enough to have invented tennis, I still prefer to swing hard and wonder if others have found the same problem and what they have done to take some of the power out of these new sticks. I went up from the mid-size Prince T3 which is around 100 square inches - maybe I should not have changed.

Comments.

I'm 45, and I took up tennis again early last year after about a 15 year period when I probably played no more than 30 times all together. About five years ago, on a whim, I went to a Big 5 store and bought a Prince Triple Threat Rip just to have something to hit with other than my Wilson Ultra II Midsize, about an 80 sq. in. frame that I last used in the early 80's.

I now use the newer version of that, the Prince Thunder Rip, which at 115 sq. in. and about 9.8 ounces, is squarely in the middle of granny stick territory. As I've played more, I've gravitated back towards the racquet swing weights I used to use, so I now have it at about 12 1/2 ounces and about 6 points HL, with a swingweight of about 370. Unfortunately, this means that this racquet is about as powerful as they come, which was as much of a problem for me as much as for you.

I initially tamed the power by weighting down the handle a lot, as much as 2 1/2 ounces right at the bottom of the butt cap. That worked but made for a racquet that didn't do all things well. Gradually, I went to lower and lower powered strings, higher and higher tensions, and have more evenly distributed the weight of my frame. This works better, and I've found a string, Kirschbaum P2, which is pretty low powered but offers me the consistency of response that I love.

So, stick with it and keep trying. If you fundamentally like your frame, it's not hard to make it do what you want it to do.

papa
11-28-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm 45, and I took up tennis again early last year after about a 15 year period when I probably played no more than 30 times all together. About five years ago, on a whim, I went to a Big 5 store and bought a Prince Triple Threat Rip just to have something to hit with other than my Wilson Ultra II Midsize, about an 80 sq. in. frame that I last used in the early 80's.

I now use the newer version of that, the Prince Thunder Rip, which at 115 sq. in. and about 9.8 ounces, is squarely in the middle of granny stick territory. As I've played more, I've gravitated back towards the racquet swing weights I used to use, so I now have it at about 12 1/2 ounces and about 6 points HL, with a swingweight of about 370. Unfortunately, this means that this racquet is about as powerful as they come, which was as much of a problem for me as much as for you.

I initially tamed the power by weighting down the handle a lot, as much as 2 1/2 ounces right at the bottom of the butt cap. That worked but made for a racquet that didn't do all things well. Gradually, I went to lower and lower powered strings, higher and higher tensions, and have more evenly distributed the weight of my frame. This works better, and I've found a string, Kirschbaum P2, which is pretty low powered but offers me the consistency of response that I love.

So, stick with it and keep trying. If you fundamentally like your frame, it's not hard to make it do what you want it to do.

Great ideas - thanks. I'll take a look at Kirchbaum string, it might help.