PDA

View Full Version : Busted out the Head Graphite Edge for a match

Ball Swatter
11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I pulled out my old Graphite Edge racquet for a friendly couple sets of tennis this afternoon. The racquet has dead strings, but I still had a great time playing with it. The 81 sq inch head offered more "rim shots" than I usually hit. There was a definite pleasurable feeling when I made solid contact with the sweet spot, but overall, the racquet did not play very much differently than what I'm used to (head genesis 600). The place where I could notice the most difference was on serve--the edge required a different ball placement and attack than my other racquet, but once I figured out how to hit it, I discovered that the racquet has great power on serve and allowed me to repeatedly hammer the outside edge of the service box when serving to the ad court.

Richie Rich
11-27-2006, 04:47 PM
guy i grew up with played with the graphite edge and had the biggest serve among anyone our age (14-16) at the time. back then, it was a huge improvement over wood.

anirut
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd love to get new grommets for the racket ... well, I have the TXE BTW.

Can anybody help?

Davai
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM

Can anybody help?

I can't say with a 100% guarantee but any CAPS should fit the TXE. Assuming that I remember correctly and the TXE shares the same mold as current prestiges.

anirut
11-27-2006, 09:03 PM
I can't say with a 100% guarantee but any CAPS should fit the TXE. Assuming that I remember correctly and the TXE shares the same mold as current prestiges.

Nope, they don't share the same mold.

TXE: 16x18 // Prestige: 18x20

And the Prestige is 90", the TXE's around 85".

surfvland
11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I played with the edge, the graphite vector, and the txe. The txe was a little stiff for my liking, either that or I just strung it too tight back then maybe 63lbs

anirut
11-27-2006, 09:17 PM
I played with the edge, the graphite vector, and the txe. The txe was a little stiff for my liking, either that or I just strung it too tight back then maybe 63lbs

Yeah, that could be a bit too tight. I have mine at 56 or 58 and it plays nice.

psp2
11-27-2006, 09:37 PM

Can anybody help?

I think I have an extra set. I can't recall if it was for the Edge or the TXE.

anirut
11-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I think I have an extra set. I can't recall if it was for the Edge or the TXE.

Thanks PSP2,

I hope they're the same mold, as the TXE is officially called "Graphite Edge TXE".

psp2
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks PSP2,

I hope they're the same mold, as the TXE is officially called "Graphite Edge TXE".

Yup. I bought 4 sets of replacement grommets from a guy, and I can't recall if I used all 4 or not. I have to dig them up and see what I have left. Those old Head grommets have the worst habit of dry-rotting!!

anirut
11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Yup. I bought 4 sets of replacement grommets from a guy and I can't recall if I used all 4 or not. I have to dig them up and see what I have left.

Thanks for the trouble, PSP2. Looking forward to getting some grommets for the TXE ...

Deuce
11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Those old Head grommets have the worst habit of dry-rotting!!
Yeah - I bought a couple of barely used Graphite Edges, and the grommets basically disintegrated when I touched them. Literally turned to dust...

Best thing to do is to cut up a grommet strip from another racquet into individual grommets, and put them on the old racquet.
I don't recommend the 'Fittex' individual grommets, as they've cracked on me within a few months of installation.

coachrick
11-28-2006, 06:07 AM
I have a Graphite Edge from the individual grommet days. The grommets were much heavier than the Fittex or other individual grommets. They have lasted all this time. The main problem with retro fitting is that the newer grommets want to pull into the frame. Power pads of some sort can help.