PDA

View Full Version : Rowing and tennis elbow

BSousa
08-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know if this is a problem?

I had a few rowing (kayaking) activities planned for the end of this month, unfortunally, I also developed tennis elbow and I'm unsure if I should still do them.

Thanks
Bruno

simi
09-20-2004, 11:00 AM
An old post, but since nobody else answered . . .

I kayak a lot as well as utilize an indoor rowing machine (Concept II) at home.

I've not noticed any disadvantages for a tennis player. Paddling/rowing is a "pulling" motion whereas a tennis stroke is the opposite motion. Meaning, you are pulling a paddle toward yourself and a tennis stroke, forehand or backhand, goes in the opposite direction. Bad description, I know.

Marius_Hancu
11-05-2004, 06:09 AM
I kayak a lot as well as utilize an indoor rowing machine (Concept II) at home.

I've not noticed any disadvantages for a tennis player. Paddling/rowing is a "pulling" motion whereas a tennis stroke is the opposite motion. Meaning, you are pulling a paddle toward yourself and a tennis stroke, forehand or backhand, goes in the opposite direction. Bad description, I know.

From my experience with TE, don't do any rowing when having it, it was clearly exacebated by rowing.

Back off from tennis and any exercise which works on the elbow, from any angle. Wait until pain subsides totally, start isometric and other flexiibilty, then strength and conditioning, such as rowing.

Wrt rowing, two caveats:

- don't go too deep with your legs, not less than 90 degrees at the knees, or otherwise you might damage them
- on your back, don't bend forward and arch back too much, the motion should be limited to about 15 degrees from the hip in both directions; and keep it straight