PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Ralston camp in Palm Springs...worthwhile?

Redflea
11-27-2006, 10:50 PM
A buddy who lives near Palm Springs wants me to join him at a three-day camp that Dennis Ralston runs at the Mission Hills Country Club from Oct. '06 - April '07.

Anyone know anything about the quality of the camp, personally or from a friend?

Thanks.

chess9
11-28-2006, 12:23 AM
A buddy who lives near Palm Springs wants me to join him at a three-day camp that Dennis Ralston runs at the Mission Hills Country Club from Oct. '06 - April '07.

Anyone know anything about the quality of the camp, personally or from a friend?

Thanks.

Do you have a link? I watched Ralston play many times in the '60's and remember him fondly as a pretty firey guy. I'll bet he's a hoot as a coach. I've never been there, but now you have me interested!

-Robert

Geezer Guy
11-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Unless you tend to be super picky (or pretty tight on funds), you should go.
It'll probably be just fine, and even if it's not you should still have fun with your bud.

Redflea
11-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Chess9, unfortunately, I don't have any memories of watching him play, he had his big years when I was <10 or so.

Geezer...Yeah, my buddy says we'll have fun regardless. But he also convinced me to drive my car into a wall when we were in college, so he's not always the best influence. :)

The main issue is time...I don't have a lot of free time to do things like this, so I want to maximize my enjoyment. I can always terrorize some other camp w/my buddy, as he hasn't signed up yet.

Here's are some links for any interested:

www.ralstontennis.com - See the Camps link

also, here, at the hotel:

Tennis info: http://www.missionhills.com/tennis/index.htm

Some camp info: http://www.missionhills.com/RalstonCamp.htm

10S_Playr
11-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Redflea: The camp description is pretty much the same as Ralston's weekend camp at the Broadmoor at Colorado Springs. I attended that camp a few years ago, that weekend was run by his director of tennis (I think her name was Sharon), and was a good mix of fitness drills, tennis drills and some match practice. Instructors were knowledgeable and helpful. There was also a round-robin type event on Saturday afternoon to practice what I learned.

For me, it was a good skills warmup before the USTA season started.

10S_Playr

Redflea
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks! Great to hear feedback from someone who's been to his camp.

curchin6
11-30-2006, 08:14 AM
I attended Ralston's camp at the Broadmoor and had a terrific time. Lots of personal attention from the man himself, and his staff was great too. It seems he has something to offer players of any level. Palm Springs is beautiful and the weather is usually wonderful. I would highly recommend giving it a try.

migjam
11-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Palm Springs, Mission Hills Country Club... what more could you ask for. You'll have a great time.

Redflea
11-30-2006, 10:30 PM
I heard back from the Ralston clan (evidently they all work on this stuff, I believe the reply I got was from his wife). The weekend is $575...instruction and lunch Saturday, does not include accomodations or anything else.

Our camps run Friday, Saturday and Sunday with 3 hours of instruction in the morning from 9-12 on Fri. and Sat. and 1 ½ hours of supervised play in the afternoon on Fri. and Saturday. Sunday you are on the court from 9-12 and then you are finished! If you go to our website www.ralstontennis.com or www.missionhills.com (click on the dr) you can find the scheduled camps plus the schedule of the camp(mission hills only). You are free to play all you want during camp days. We all have lunch together on Saturday. Accommodations are your responsibility. I can help with suggestions and some reduced rates if you need them. The Weston Mission Hills is next door, but we have some rates at Marriott Residence Inn and Courtyard Hotels. Please call or email with any other questions you might have. I am here to help in any way I can. We hope you can join us! Oh, the cost of the 12 hours is $575.00. Dennis is an active part of every camp day. Talk to you soon.

Compared to Newq's camp - week-long camp w/food and accomodations for $700 to $800 w/their 2 for 1 deal, the Ralston camp seems quite pricey.

chess9
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
I heard back from the Ralston clan (evidently they all work on this stuff, I believe the reply I got was from his wife). The weekend is $575...instruction and lunch Saturday, does not include accomodations or anything else.

Compared to Newq's camp - week-long camp w/food and accomodations for $700 to $800 w/their 2 for 1 deal, the Ralston camp seems quite pricey.

Texas vs. Cali costs. Cali is on an almost completely different planet, economically, than Texas. Also, Mission Hills is very pretty. Both Newk and Ralston could teach us all a lot. I've heard lots of good stuff about Newk's place in Texas. One of the fat guys here came back with beautiful strokes, but is still a fat alcoholic. :) If you can't run why bother?

-Robert

Geezer Guy
12-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Newk's is a great place, and their prices are probably among the lowest (if not THE lowest) of anything comparable. Still, that doesn't mean you should discard the Ralston thing, unless price is your only unit of measure.

Robert - do we know each other? :)

chess9
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Newk's is a great place, and their prices are probably among the lowest (if not THE lowest) of anything comparable. Still, that doesn't mean you should discard the Ralston thing, unless price is your only unit of measure.

Robert - do we know each other? :)

If you were raised in Ohio, we might. :) I didn't play for many years after college. I've just started back playing regularly. But, I'm going to Florida when I get back from England and spend some time there playing tennis this Winter. Lots of good tennis there. I may go to Nick's camp for a week as well. Been keen to do something like that. But, hearing Dennis Ralston's name has me so wanting to see him. I might just fly out there for two weeks and see my brother in San Diego and then off to Mission Hills. Lots of my tri friends are there too. Are you in Kansas?

-Robert

goober
12-02-2006, 09:30 AM
$575 for a weekend of tennis and one lunch seems pretty outrageous to me. Unless you are a big Ralston fan, you could get 8-10 private lessons for that amount.

Geezer Guy
12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Robert - I was just joking. You mentioned something about an old, fat alcoholic, so I spoke up.

Redflea
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Robert - I was just joking. You mentioned something about an old, fat alcoholic, so I spoke up.

Don't you mean woke up? ;)

Geezer Guy
12-05-2006, 07:34 AM
:) :o :D :p

migjam
12-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Wow! That seems very pricey. I would be hesitant at that price.

Redflea
12-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Yup...my buddy has officially nixed the Ralston camp as too expensive...I'm trying to get him to go to Newk's...looks like it would be fun like summer camp... ;)