PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a racquet is balanced (power vs control)?

FH2FH
11-28-2006, 06:43 AM
I can't decide if I should get a higher power racquet and string tighter or lower power and string looser? I'm not talking about huge differences (90 v 110!!), just slightly more flexible, 3-5sq/in smaller or larger head, etc. I've only been playing 2.5 years (3.5 NTRP) so I'm still discovering my game. I normally swing very fast, but I plan to develop some touch as I progress.

I've experimented with adding weight to make a racquet more powerful and stable, or to change the balance, but if the racquet is marginally heavy to begin with, you can only add so much weight before it becomes a burden to swing.

Thoughts?

bcsax123
11-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Pick the most powerful racquet you can easily control.

raiden031
11-28-2006, 07:13 AM
I would get the smallest, heaviest racquet that still feels comfortable. They are more stable, have better feel, and promote better technique. Obviously not everyone has the strength to handle the heaviness or the patience to learn proper technique, but if you have both, then its worth it.

The problem I have with light, head-heavy powerful racquets is that they have no feel whatsoever and I feel like I have a portable trampoline in my hands, even if I string it tight.

FH2FH
11-28-2006, 07:23 AM
To give you an idea of what I'm using:

300G: 11.5oz, 6pts HL, 98 sq/in, 64 RDC, 310 SW? 58/56 - 16/15g poly
Either has too much power now or needs to be restrung or both, light to ok weight.

PS 6.0: 12oz, 7pts HL, 95 sq/in, 67 RDC, 325 SW? 56 - 15 g
Pretty good control/power, slightly heavy.

I just increased the weights after I fixed a flaw on my forehand. My two favorite racquets besides the 300G have been RDX 500 MP and mid, but the power levels are VERY different. Control was sometimes a problem with the MP (used 4 months w/ multiple string jobs), but power was sometimes a problem with the mid (used 1 month, 1 s/j. I was a 2.5 at the time!). I haven't used the mid in nearly two years though. The 300G is too light now w/o lead. I want more flexibility as well... (less power, more spin).

So... where I am now is adjusting to slightly heavier, more stable racquets, and I would like more control, but I don't know if I've got the "game" to use a 90 or 93. I use moderate spin.

alan-n
11-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Yep, you've hit the wall we all do when it comes to racquets. That being no matter what, some racquets on certain days will always feel easier to play with with certain strokes.

For me, if I know I'm hitting the ball cleanly I would only try minor things like you have. Changing the balance to my liking... or adding weight for more stability. If I want to add more power drastically, I change to a different string, or try a different tension. Before I do any of those I usually ask myself how am I seeing the ball? Am I miss hitting just slightly, or not hitting through the ball enough?... Then I think about the playing conditions (heavy / damp air, heavy balls... or hot and dry air).

I've seen a few videos of your strokes, I really don't think the RDX500 mid will be over demanding for you. It has a slightly larger sweet spot than the racquet I play with (Tour 90 Original). Its has a lot of room for lead customization. If you can handle the weight that typically comes with mid-sized racquets you should be fine. The RDX500 mid sweet spot is pretty large at reasonable tension ranges.

AAAA
11-28-2006, 10:47 AM
If you're asking the question you haven't spent enough time on court and/or demoed enough different racquets. By playing a lot and trying many different racquets you'll gain a very good idea about how the different racquet specs affect your strokes, in time you'll understand what your game needs and you'll also be able to judge yourself if the racquet has enough power or control for your strokes.

FH2FH
11-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I guess what I meant with this thread is if you have to decide one way or the other (higher power racquet and string tighter vs. lower power and string looser), which way is better?

bcsax123
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Lower powered racquet strung looser because lower powered racquets are generally arm friendly. Higher powered racquets are stiffer and not arm friendly.

fuzz nation
11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Uh-oh, we're getting into some "no best answer" territory here. I've just gotten hip to the benefits of low powered, loosely strung frames for baselining-good for singles-but something tighter with more pop is really hard to beat for hardcore doubles. I'm trying on the LM Prestige mid right now, but the Prostaff 6.1 classic just smokes for doubles s&v for me. I'd rather not have more racquets than golf clubs, but I'm trying to be realistic about what shots I want the best access to. I'll probably settle on a more favored racquet for singles and another for doubles-I'm playing a lot of both.

Pardon my ramble, but I wanted to point out that you need to fit your racquet to what game you're trying to build. If you need an all 'round performer, I'd say a flexible frame with some decent heft will do a lot for you.

snoflewis
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Pardon my ramble, but I wanted to point out that you need to fit your racquet to what game you're trying to build.

definitely....you can find rackets with good control that also happen to have some pop. i used to play with 16 main midsize rackets to get more control...but i found that my redondo provides enough control with a bit more pop...

FH2FH
12-01-2006, 06:36 AM
What I'm good at and trying to do better ...(90% singles, 50/50 clay/HC):

Good: groundstrokes, decent serve/return
Improving: volleys, all court.

I've found anything 11oz and under just gets pushed around, esp near the net. My 300G at 11.5-ish is about right for now, maybe a little light. I'm still adjusting to the weight of my old PS 6.0 95, but I think it will pay off to use a little more mass. +12 may be too much though (I'm 5'7, 145lbs).

The PS is really probably too powerful. I think if I had something a little less flexible I could swing at the same speed and have more control. I'll keep my eyes open for sticks to try in this range...