PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid - arm friendly?

bad_call
11-28-2006, 11:33 AM
looking at another arm friendly racquet (suks getting old) and this one caught my eye. flex is 60 so maybe soft enough. i think the redondo might be too soft for my liking. anyone with experience please post your info. thanks. :-D

hoosierbr
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Very nice and comfortable racquet. Does everything well. Headlight and a sub-320 swingweight so it's easy to get around. The dense string pattern is what kept me from switching to this frame a couple of years ago but you might like it.

Volkls are generally pretty arm-friendly.

sunmin77
11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
bad_call,

Shoot me an e-mail and I will try to elaborate on my experience with arm-friendly frames. I have played with pretty much every player's racquet in the past 5 years or so.

My e-mail is: sunmin1977@yahoo.com.

bad_call
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
sunmin77 - sent u an email. thanks.

flemby2112
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I find my VE mids to be very comfy and arm friendly. The big sweet spot for a 93 head doesn't hurt either.

NoBadMojo
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
looking at another arm friendly racquet (suks getting old) and this one caught my eye. flex is 60 so maybe soft enough. i think the redondo might be too soft for my liking. anyone with experience please post your info. thanks. :-D

if you are a good ball striker, you should find this frame very comfortable. it's got a smaller sweetspot. misshits are never good for your arm with any racquet however. The T10MPGen2 is of a similar swingweight, is very soft playing, and the sweetspot is huge. if you can handle more swingweight the DNX10Mid has a larger sweetspot than the 10VEMid and is also very comfortable. these would be 3 good arm safe choices given a reasonable string and tension

Kevo
11-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I found the Tour 10VEMid to be quite arm friendly. I didn't find it to be quite spin friendly enough for my tastes though. I only demoed it, and didn't spend any time working out various string possibilities though. I'm sure it would be even better with the right string and tension.

anirut
11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
bad call:

Yes, the 10VE Mid is comfy. The Redondo doesn't feel at all mushy for its flex. In fact it feels stiffer than the spec. There's more raw feel to the Redondo than the VE. Similar in the control department. Redondo's got more pop. Serving goes to the VE. I can be lazy with the Redondo but not with the VE.

Hope this helps.

bad_call
11-29-2006, 06:30 AM
bad call:

Yes, the 10VE Mid is comfy. The Redondo doesn't feel at all mushy for its flex. In fact it feels stiffer than the spec. There's more raw feel to the Redondo than the VE. Similar in the control department. Redondo's got more pop. Serving goes to the VE. I can be lazy with the Redondo but not with the VE.

Hope this helps.

thanks anirut. but what do mean by being lazy with the Redondo and not the VE? is it the head size / shape /weight that takes more preparedness?

anirut
11-29-2006, 09:43 AM
thanks anirut. but what do mean by being lazy with the Redondo and not the VE? is it the head size / shape /weight that takes more preparedness?

Lazy ... think about a grandma's stroke. I can hit from the baseline to the other court's inside-the-service-line with a half-stroke. Try that with the 10VE and you'll net the ball. This is even with a tension of 61 lbs. on the Redondo. My 10VE is at 53 lbs. and probably lower by now.

bad_call
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Lazy ... think about a grandma's stroke. I can hit from the baseline to the other court's inside-the-service-line with a half-stroke. Try that with the 10VE and you'll net the ball. This is even with a tension of 61 lbs. on the Redondo. My 10VE is at 53 lbs. and probably lower by now.

is that grandma stroke with a firm or limp wrist? (imagine a 1hbh low approach shot). or are we talking about a half volley off a hard hit ball near the baseline?

sorry if i'm plaguing u with questions. just trying to narrow my next racquet choice. :)

anirut
11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
is that grandma stroke with a firm or limp wrist? (imagine a 1hbh low approach shot). or are we talking about a half volley off a hard hit ball near the baseline?

sorry if i'm plaguing u with questions. just trying to narrow my next racquet choice. :)

Limp wrist ... yes, that would allow the racket to swing up. But certainly not a half volley off a hard hit ball.

It's quite easy to play a pulled-wide backhand. Just get in there and swing the racket with a wrist-flick and you'll save the point for the moment. I couldn't do that with the VE. The Redondo somehow has more pop than it should.

And talking about low approach, this stick is it. Nice biting low backhand approaches it gives.

BTW, many have describes the stick as "tinny". I would describe that as it doesn't play as "thuddy" as the other frames of the same class. I didn't feel it to be "pingy" as many talked about though. I think this has to do with the strings in use.

NoBadMojo
11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
i presume what anirut is saying is this frame is low powered...it's certainly not high swingweighted compared to many other demanding frames. it rewards good technique and punishes less than good technique. it's a frame for a 4.5 and up player who is a consistently good ball striker. if you reveal your skillset and style of play and conditioning, perhaps we can help you.
often when people are describing flexy frames as tinny or unstable, what they are saying is the frame is beyond their capacity to use well. this frame is anything but 'tinny'..it's more the opposite of 'tinny' when the sweetspot is struck

bad_call
11-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Limp wrist ... yes, that would allow the racket to swing up. But certainly not a half volley off a hard hit ball.

It's quite easy to play a pulled-wide backhand. Just get in there and swing the racket with a wrist-flick and you'll save the point for the moment. I couldn't do that with the VE. The Redondo somehow has more pop than it should.

And talking about low approach, this stick is it. Nice biting low backhand approaches it gives.

BTW, many have describes the stick as "tinny". I would describe that as it doesn't play as "thuddy" as the other frames of the same class. I didn't feel it to be "pingy" as many talked about though. I think this has to do with the strings in use.

ok - wrist flick goes to Redondo. is "this stick is it" also Redondo for low approach shots?

NBMojo - hope u don't mind if i abbreviate. when i played competitively, i think i was around a 4.5 or so. mostly played the "open" comps and not the rating level comps. i prefer the smaller head racquets but need a racquet not as stiff as the PS 85 which i played in my 'younger' days.

anirut
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM
ok - wrist flick goes to Redondo. is "this stick is it" also Redondo for low approach shots?

Yes, I meant the Redondo. I was driving my playing partner crazy. I'm not saying the VE is not capable of that, BTW.

IMO, any stick is good if you're able to use it to its full potential. Although I find it easier to play with the Redondo overall, the 10VE mid has my respect for it's ability to make serving easy with a lots of power. God knows why, but the VE is really good at serves -- for me, that is.

bad_call
11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
yeah gotta consider serving capabilities of the racquet. i've played with mostly stiffer racquets but have played with the dunlop maxply fort (old woodie) which was a bit too flexible for my game. that's why i'm a bit skeptical of the Redondo. i kinda like having a serve i can count on to win points. although i knew some very good players who smoked with the maxply.

NoBadMojo
11-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, I meant the Redondo. I was driving my playing partner crazy. I'm not saying the VE is not capable of that, BTW.

IMO, any stick is good if you're able to use it to its full potential. Although I find it easier to play with the Redondo overall, the 10VE mid has my respect for it's ability to make serving easy with a lots of power. God knows why, but the VE is really good at serves -- for me, that is.

I'm not God ;O, but I think the VE is great to serve with because the sweetspot is long <but not wide> on this frame, and many servers tend to hit their serves higher in the stringbed. Also it is very headlight and manueverable so very effortless to get a lot of racquethead speed going given good technique.

BadCall, I havent hit the Redondo, but gave you some other suggestions earlier in this thread...additionally, if not suggested earlier, most of the Fischer stuff may fit you well as it is low powered and flexy, and you dont get much more flexy than the C10Pro. lots of great choices out there. good luck

bad_call
11-29-2006, 11:26 AM
thanks for everyone's input. hope i can do the same for u sometime. :)

christo
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Why not try this frame in the Mid Plus, a totally underrated frame. Unless you're 5.0 or higher you just won't get full value out of the mid but the Mid Plus will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

bad_call
11-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Why not try this frame in the Mid Plus, a totally underrated frame. Unless you're 5.0 or higher you just won't get full value out of the mid but the Mid Plus will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

i think i read that about the PS 85 too but i've been playing with that one for years. either i under rate myself or u can't always believe what u read. i'd like to think the 1st one for my ego but...

flemby2112
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Mine are strung with venom 17 at 58#. Good spin, great control and arm friendly. VE mid is my holy grail!

BounceHitBounceHit
11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
i presume what anirut is saying is this frame is low powered...it's certainly not high swingweighted compared to many other demanding frames. it rewards good technique and punishes less than good technique. it's a frame for a 4.5 and up player who is a consistently good ball striker. if you reveal your skillset and style of play and conditioning, perhaps we can help you.
often when people are describing flexy frames as tinny or unstable, what they are saying is the frame is beyond their capacity to use well. this frame is anything but 'tinny'..it's more the opposite of 'tinny' when the sweetspot is struck

Agreed. The Volkl T10 VE mid is VERY comfy, but also VERY demanding. I actually thought the T10 Mid Gen 1 and C10 Pro Tour were both even more comfortable, especially when strung w/ gut in the mid-50's. CC

jonolau
11-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm not God ;O, but I think the VE is great to serve with because the sweetspot is long <but not wide> on this frame, and many servers tend to hit their serves higher in the stringbed. Also it is very headlight and manueverable so very effortless to get a lot of racquethead speed going given good technique.

BadCall, I havent hit the Redondo, but gave you some other suggestions earlier in this thread...additionally, if not suggested earlier, most of the Fischer stuff may fit you well as it is low powered and flexy, and you dont get much more flexy than the C10Pro. lots of great choices out there. good luck
Totally agree with NBMJ here. I do hit high in the upper hoop on serves and the VE mid performs really well in this department, much like a surgeon's scalpel: cuts through the air with ease and allows ball placement with high precision and accuracy.

The C10 Pro is definitely more forgiving and I regulalry take mine out for a hit once in a while. Stll very trustworthy racquet that has good power and control.

Indy Tennis
12-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I developed tennis elbow using the Babolat Pure Control. Let it heal and then switched to the Head LM Radical more tennis elbow.

Moved to the Volkl T10 VE Mid and no more elbow probs. I use a multi strung @ 55 lbs.

anirut
12-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Moved to the Volkl T10 VE Mid and no more elbow probs. I use a multi strung @ 55 lbs.

I've also tried a multi at 55. The VE Mid played really nice.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM

Right on, right on, and right on.

The Tour 10 VE mid is a VERY lush feeling frame. EXTREMELY comfy. Unbelieveably easy to swing for a 12 oz mid.

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Agreed. The Volkl T10 VE mid is VERY comfy, but also VERY demanding. I actually thought the T10 Mid Gen 1 and C10 Pro Tour were both even more comfortable, especially when strung w/ gut in the mid-50's. CC

..........and now that I've re-visited the Tour 10 Gen 2, I'd move it very near the top of my 'easy to hit, comfy, honest-to-goodness players' frames' right behind the King of that Hill, the DNX 10 mid.............

Basically between the T10 Gen 2 and the DNX 10 mid you trade off ease of use (Gen 2) for serving prowess (DNX 10 mid).

;0

CC

bad_call
12-15-2006, 11:11 AM
thanks. think i'm getting one for the holidays since i've been a good boy. :p

TennisMD
12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I have to echo the enthusiasm for the Tour 10 Gen II, plays very well and I think I get great power out of it . I was doing a 2 hr hitting session with a friend, and I interchanged the Wilson N Code 6.1 95 16 x 18 and my hitting buddy stated I was getting more pace on groundies and serve with the Volkl. I believe it as the SW of the Volkl appears perfect and the static weight is 12.2 oz. Also getting back on topic it is the most arm friendly rkt I have hit with.

emerckx53
12-16-2006, 02:29 PM
..........and now that I've re-visited the Tour 10 Gen 2, I'd move it very near the top of my 'easy to hit, comfy, honest-to-goodness players' frames' right behind the King of that Hill, the DNX 10 mid.............

Basically between the T10 Gen 2 and the DNX 10 mid you trade off ease of use (Gen 2) for serving prowess (DNX 10 mid).

;0

CC

Craig,

I love the VE mid......bought 2 DNX 10 mids...love them...love the soft flexy shaft feel of both....tell me where the Gen II is better and worse than the DNX mid.....I have never hit a C10 or a Gen II....any advantage to the 98's?I don't want to miss anything......Thanks.

Michael

bad_call
12-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I've also tried a multi at 55. The VE Mid played really nice.

ok we've got two multi's at 55. any other string types and tension suggestions are welcome. i'm leaning towards this setup so far.

bad_call
12-28-2006, 07:01 PM
well got the T10 VE Mid for the holidays and strung it with Multifeel and PSGDF at 54. my TE felt well enough to give it a go so played for about 1 1/2 hours hitting groundies, volleys and serves. gotta say i am pleased. TE did not give me any problems and the racquet and string combo worked very well. the racquet has plenty of power on all shots and touch drops and volleys were quite easy to execute. not sure if it's the string combo or the racquet.

so thanks to all u who steered me in this direction. i'll be back out on the courts smiling whilst kicking buttt...once again. :grin:

AndrewD
12-29-2006, 03:11 AM

Unfortunately, for me, the swingweight of the DNX 10 mid would limit my serving 'prowess' over the course of a day's tennis. The Gen 2, on the other hand, has an ideal swingweight for me but I don't serve quite as well as I'd like with it (my girlfriend though, she loves the Gen2 and won't play with anything else). The VE mid is a nice compromise that'd I probably be using if I could snag a few cheaply.