PDA

View Full Version : X grams = 8 points HL?

The Dampener
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi there, all you learned lead tapers and master mathematicians.

I need help. I have a frame that weighs in at 11.9oz (strung) and is 5 points head-light. I'd like to increase the weight to 12oz (or more) and get the balance to 8-9 points HL.

To get it there, how much lead tape would I need to add to the head and how much to the handle?

I can do the grams-to-ounces conversion. 'Tis the balance part that bewilders me.

Thanks much.

John

Amone
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
The conversion is roughly 2g for every .1 ounce.

You'd add 4 inches of tape, at the very butt of the racquet. However, at 12 oz, it's impossible to move it that far. You'd get about halfway through the fifth point.

To get an exactly 8 pts balance, you'd add 21 inches of lead tape at the very putt of the racquet-- or, 10.5 grams.

AJK1
11-28-2006, 04:41 PM
John, Take all grips off, wrap 10x4 inch strips of 1/4 inch lead tape around and along the handle starting at the part where buttcap meets handle. That will equate to 10g of added mass. Put everything back on. I did it to my son's racquet last week and he loves it.
Cheers,
Adam

The Dampener
11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Adam,

I should've known you'd come to the rescue. I was going to email you directly, but I've long since lost your address.

By adding 10g's of tape, that should get me up to just under 12.2oz in static weight. That's fine. However, is there any way to forgo grip removal? Maybe putting inside the handle? I recall you helping me modify my 5G by placing tape just above the grip. Or will that have little affect on altering the balance?

Thanks.

J

PS - Amone, thanks for your thoughts as well!

Amone
11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
John, Take all grips off, wrap 10x4 inch strips of 1/4 inch lead tape around and along the handle starting at the part where buttcap meets handle. That will equate to 10g of added mass. Put everything back on. I did it to my son's racquet last week and he loves it.
Cheers,
Adam

Roffle Awesome, we agreed on something for once, AJK. Except that in mine, I assumed 1/2 inch tape.

AJK1
11-28-2006, 06:17 PM
John, Unless i'm sadly mistaken, one 4inch x 1/4 inch strip of lead tape equals 1g. I never recommend adding lead mass inside the handle, only because it may come loose, and jangle around, and may even go up into the throat/head area and never come out. It happened to me once and it was a nightmare. I always like to add the mass under my hand, as this is where SW is measured from. So under the grip is best, but if you have to add it to the top of the grip, do it layer upon layer in a concentrated area. But you may have to add more to get the desired balance. Why? Imagine a see-saw. The middle point is the pivot point, add mass close to this point and it will hardly move, but add it to the very end of the see-saw and the beam will move. Get it! So, that's why i like to add it as close to the end as possible. So that i get the most movement of balance from the least possible addition of mass. Hope all this helps. Cheers, Adam
P.S. What racquet are you modifying?

bcsax123
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Try a leather grip so you can add less lead to achive the same effect. If you like more SW add lead ot the top of the handle. If you don't want too much more add it under where your hand is.

The Dampener
11-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Guys,

I haven't concerned myself with swingweight, though I probably should. I just happen to know what static weight (12oz) and balance (8HL) I prefer.

Adam, I'm modifying a Dunlop 200G Hotmelt. It's a nice, soft frame like the 5G, only with a smaller head (95) and tighter string pattern (18x20).

Your analogy makes perfect sense. I'm just, well, lazy. I've never removed a grip, but I'll figure it out. As far as the tape weight goes (thinking and typing out loud)...

1 inch of 1/4" tape weighs .25 grams. (4 inches weighs a gram)
So ten 4-inch strips would indeed weigh 10 grams.
And ten grams equals .35 ounces (bringing my frame to 12.25 oz).

So, you're right, and I suck at math.

Thanks again for the advice.

John

foucapoI
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi there, all you learned lead tapers and master mathematicians.

I need help. I have a frame that weighs in at 11.9oz (strung) and is 5 points head-light. I'd like to increase the weight to 12oz (or more) and get the balance to 8-9 points HL.

To get it there, how much lead tape would I need to add to the head and how much to the handle?

I can do the grams-to-ounces conversion. 'Tis the balance part that bewilders me.

Thanks much.

John

Mission Impossible!

Adding only 0.1 oz at the butt cap will not change the balance.
Basically, you should remove weight from the head (e.g., bumper) to make your racquet 3-5pts more headlight.

The Dampener
11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Mission Impossible!

Adding only 0.1 oz at the butt cap will not change the balance.
Basically, you should remove weight from the head (e.g., bumper) to make your racquet 3-5pts more headlight.

Sounds complicated. Is it?

The Dampener
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM
I removed my overgrip and spiraled 40 inches of 1/4" tape on top of the original grip, beginning about 1/2" up from the butt-end of the grip. Then I wrapped a new overgrip over the tape.

Astonishingly, the frame felt lighter. Which means either I willed my mind into believing it felt lighter, or the balance point dramatically affects our perception of weight. (I suppose that's why we have obscure measurements such as swing weight.)

Anyhoo, I'll give it a court test tomorrow. Thanks again for all the tips.

J

AJK1
11-29-2006, 07:04 PM
John,
Well done, a head heavy 9oz racquet can feel heavier in your hand than a 12oz head light racquet. Something which a lot of posters on these boards don't seem to understand. Anyway,
Good Luck
Adam