PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Dilemma

miketran
11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but not to the game of tennis. I'm 18 and about 5.0 player attending Emory Univ. Anyway, I am thinking highly of switching from my current FXP prestige MP to either a FXP prestige Mid or technifibre Tfight 335 (18x20)...However, I haven't received the chance to demo either stick, but i find that the MP FXP prestige is way too powerful for me now, even strung with polyester @ 62lbs. So I am looking to go either Midsize FXP prestige or the Technifibre. Im leaning towards Technifibre, but havent gotten much from the posts on here about it... Can anyone give me suggestions on which racquet could up my game a little bit? I play real classic style, and i do like the feel of the FXP MP though. Thanks, any suggestions are great!

anirut
11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
... I play real classic style ... Thanks, any suggestions are great!

Try a Redondo. Either mid or midplus is good. For more info try the Redondo thread.

tennisguy2121
11-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Try a Redondo. Either mid or midplus is good. For more info try the Redondo thread.

are you simply going to recommend a redondo to every person looking for a racquet??

bribeiro
11-29-2006, 06:54 AM
I hate how people just recommend they racquet they're using at the moment in threads like this, if I have any indication a person is using the racquet they recommend I discard their opinion.

I'd demo a pog and a ps85 if I were you.

ollinger
11-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Poor in-a-rut has a very limited racquet vocabulary. Redondo is not a dreadful racquet but it would make more sense to suggest racquets you can actually find somewhere; even TW can't seem to get hold of them.

phat
11-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Miketran,
Can you get your hands on some LM Prestige?? It is definitely less powerful than the FXP version.
BTW, Anirut's recommendation is valid as redondos are 18X20 with similar head shape & swingweight to FXP prestiges. Redondos have a flexier stiffness which means it should be less powerful than the FXP prestiges.

BiGGieStuFF
11-29-2006, 07:33 AM
wow you have my name. :)

TonyB
11-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Since you asked about the Technifibre 335 in the 18x20 pattern, look here for some info:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106666

Personally, I liked the demo enough to go ahead and buy one so that I can play with it a bit more with different strings. It's a very crisp racquet and swings very light, but with a sturdy response.

Seems like it would be great with a crisp multifilament or a good synthetic gut, strung at the right tension. The demo that I used just had some 16 gauge NXT in it, but I could tell there was more potential in the racquet. Since it's an 18x20 pattern, it might benefit from a 17g or thinner string.

onkystomper
11-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I would take a close look at the Fischer M Pro 98 or No.1

I demoed both and the feel was exceptional and they are low powered. Basically you get what you put in.

If they suited my game better i would have definately kept them.

onkystomper
11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
One last thing. The FXP mid is a nice racqet but you had better be an excellent ball striker as the head is small and unforgiving. I am 5.0 and found it a bit too unforgiving for me.

anirut
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
... I'm going to tell mommy ... you guys are treating me bad ... :sad:

I only want to suggest something out of the norm ... I'm going to tell mom ... :sad:

But I won't tell mom if someone can give me some candy ... ;)

bcsax123
11-29-2006, 09:03 AM
I use the FXP Prestige MP too and it is a bit powerful.

RDS 001 Mid sounds good because it also has a crisp feel but is less powerful than the FXP Prestige.

miketran
11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Oh, by the way, i customized it by adding some weight at the handle...now it's 364 grams (12.8 oz)....=) anyway, i dont like the feel of any liquidmetal series sticks.. the headsize factor between the mid and 335 concerns me, but i just want to make the right choice, like how much more powerful is teh 335 than the mid FXP prestige? i would most likely end up adding weight to either racquet.

bee
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Some kinda' funny comments here.

Most people use he racquet they like best, so it's not surprising at all that they recommend the racquet they play with. And that's exactly what I'm going to do: Head LM Prestige - excellent all around racquet. Strung with Klip Legend 17 g natural gut and with Babolat string savers for a little extra bite, tension 52#...Yikes almighty! It's wonderful!

I'm an Emory alumni myself.

psp2
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Wilson ProStaff 85
Head Prestige Classic
Prince Graphite Mid
and... nothing from Babolat

AJK1
11-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, the logical choice would be the Prestige Mid, but what about waiting till the companies bring out all their new stuff in the New Year. There are a few models that may interest you, the new 18x20 Dunlop player frames look interesting. It is rumoured Head is about to release a new range as well as Wilson. Stay tuned.........

musicc
11-30-2006, 09:44 AM
You're in Atlanta, GA... which has the biggest tennis organization in GA... and you cannot find a local shop with Head FXP prestige mid?

miketran
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
well, i go to Emory (which has an atl zip code, but not in actual atl)...but there's a couple shops around here i haven't checked out yet...havent gotten to it to see if they demo the 335 or mid fxp. i may see what new sticks companies are crankin out around xmas.

goober
11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
wow you have my name. :)

same name but not the same game :D