PDA

View Full Version : does anyone actually use head tape?

James Brown
08-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Does anyone here actually use head tape? Doesn't it make you look like a tool? Ive never used it, but ive been noticing how scratched some of my racquets are becoming and im considering using head tape on my next racquet. what do you guys think?

mileslong
08-14-2004, 12:02 AM
i would put tennis head tape in the same category with golf club iron covers. it may be pratical but you look like a tool using these products. could you imagine tiger woods pulling some stupid plastic covers off of his irons everytime he was about to hit a shot?

i will let my irons get dents and scratches before i use those stupid things, same with head tape...

kninetik
08-14-2004, 05:09 AM
I use head tape on the Max 200g Pro because it doesnt have a bumper guard and its pretty old. I think it makes this specific racquet look cleaner with a smooth top. If you think head tape makes you look like a tool... I use zipties to protect my other frames :D

Simbah2004
08-14-2004, 05:14 AM
When I play hard courts, I always put two layers of head tape on the bumper guard - It keeps it brand new - should I decide to sell my racquets and switch later on. It works.

martin
08-14-2004, 05:21 AM
My racket feels head heavy with head tape. It adds 8 grams of weight and i feel the difference.

Power Game
08-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I use electric tape because it is cheap and doesn't weigh alot

Eug
08-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Kninetik you actually use zip ties??!! I'm visualizing this right now....lol I might even dare use head tape if I had a Estusa PB. And simbah, please dont tell me that you sell the racquet as new. My platform is anti head tape.

kninetik
08-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Zip ties are one-hit wonders!!! My racquet took a huge hit that destroyed the headtape guarding it a good inch of the bumper is missing along with a chip on the area. So In order to prevent actual frame damage, I use zip ties on that area. They take one hit, sometimes they take two before I have to reach for another one. It doesnt look so bad if you can match the racquet color.... However, I didnt match the color so yea, I do look like Im swinging a clown stick!

Before zip ties, I tied rubber bands on the headhoop area. Now that looked BAD. It looked like my racquet had ribbon bow ties on its head.

Eug
08-14-2004, 01:22 PM
lol...this is too funny Kninetik. I'm picturing your racquet looking like those dressed up miniature dogs.

GrahamIsSuper
08-14-2004, 02:34 PM
I play with the Estusa PBP, so I have to use head tape as otherwise my strings would break along the upper portion of the frame on a decent hit.

Shane Reynolds
08-14-2004, 03:01 PM
To each his own, but I think it is a silly question. You can help protect a $150+ investment with something that costs about a dollar per use. I would feel like a tool if I didn't use it.

Eug
08-14-2004, 03:33 PM
But its head tape! It prevents scratches and I dont think it even does that. Doesnt the tape just rip off if scraped properly? It changes the balance of your racquet too. I dont know....i just dont like it.

Ronaldo
08-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Obviously, you never used a WOODEN racquet. There was a headguard that was a nylon strip that wrapped around the head, looked tacky as heck, and actually was similar in appearance to your nylon ties. Racquets from the mid 80s had no bumperguard so headtape was invaluable. Btw, imagine demo racquets without bumperguards.

kninetik
08-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Head tape does not protect against a good ground scrape. But it does protect it from minor things. I really dont care if my bumper gets scratched to oblivion, but I do care about getting chips and paint scruffs and head tape will protect the racquet on numerous occasions when I'm not swinging for the fences. Also, the an overgrip should influence the balance a little back to the center.

Also, once again, zip/nylon ties are a better value than head tape! Easy to put on, easy to remove, only replace the one that got scraped off in an instant, cheaper and lighter than head tape. :D

big ted
08-14-2004, 06:54 PM
well guess what racquets come with head guards now so u dont need tape. if u use a racquet that doesnt use a bumper guard then tapes ok, but if ur using tape to protect the bumper guard thats pretty silly. when ur bumper guard wears out just buy a new one !

Eug
08-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I play alot of tennis and cant imagine my bumper guard wearing out. My grommets will wear out before it.

NCODE95
08-14-2004, 09:04 PM
you could basically say its another layer of skin for the racquet you have the racquet itself, the bumper guard, then some head tape, so basically i think its a good deal ive been using the stuff for about 2 years now.

Ronaldo
08-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Unless you use a Babolat racquet with the thinnest, weakest bumperguards IMO.

BreakPoint
08-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Funny that this topic came up today because I had been using head tape for like 30 years starting with my wood racquets (like my Maxply Forts) and with my Max 200G (because it had no bumperguard as someone has mentioned), but I had just stopped using head tape yesterday! Just yesterday I took the head tape off of all of my PS 6.0 95's as well as other racquets. I'm going try stop using it. I guess I just got tired of replacing it all the time and having to remove it every time I had my racquets strung. It really didn't prevent the major scratches anyway. And the worst part, which is the primary reason I decided to try not using it anymore, is that when you remove it, it leaves all that sticky goo on your bumperguard. The sticky goo is even worse if you use electrical tape and when the tape is heavily battered, some of the tape and goo can get embedded into the bumperguard. And if you play in hot weather or leave your racquets in the sun, the tape can start to shift around and spread that sticky goo all over the head of your racquets. Anyway, I just got sick and tired of the disgusting mess!!

Jim Hendricks
08-15-2004, 03:59 AM
Babolat Super Tape actually does protect the racquet head and when removed doesn't leave a sticky residue.

rooski
08-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Does anyone here actually use head tape? Doesn't it make you look like a tool? Ive never used it, but ive been noticing how scratched some of my racquets are becoming and im considering using head tape on my next racquet. what do you guys think?

Always have...always will. I generally use black gamma guard on top of a typically black bumper guard. You hardly notice it. I like the tiny amount of weight it adds and it keeps my bumper guards looking almost new . When it gets dinged/scraped...I replace the damaged section of tape. It's too easy and cheap NOT to do it.