PDA

View Full Version : Is this shock-absorber on the top, legal for tournament-play?

jmsx521
11-29-2006, 03:42 PM
The link will be deleted in a week or so.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmsx521/TennisRacketQuestion/photo#5002978271611453458

It's a double, or triple rubber-band tied-up.

I've been doing this for many years. The reason I have that way is because it gives me extra weight on the top of the racket, plus the muted feel that I like too. Thanks.

Redflea
11-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I believe the rule is you can't have anything on the crosses at the top or bottom, or on the mains at either side...dampeners have to be in the "open" area between the last string and the frame.

So I think what you're doing would be considered illegal...

tennisiscoolmtl
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Not true the rules are as fallows- You can have a shack dampener anywhere as long as it is no surronded by string... it has to be in the gap between string and frame but it can be anywhere on the raquet, Top bottom left or right

Noveson
11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Man Jmsx how many freaking dampners do you need?

pNoyr3D
11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Seriously lol!! That is a lot of dampeners. Anyways I thought the rule was that you aren't supposed to have a dampener over the first bottom string going horizontal..

aznspongehead
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Holy crap that's one dampened racket... I just put one on mine so the string wouldn't make that annoying sound.

Yeah I believe there shouldn't be any foreign objects above the bottom cross.

anirut
11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Jmsx, may I ask what Dunlop is that? The 100G?

pNoyr3D
11-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Whoa you also have a wierd lead tape setup.. Never seen anyone do it that way before.. Lol.

EricW
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Whoa you also have a wierd lead tape setup.. Never seen anyone do it that way before.. Lol.

I've seen it many times.

AJK1
11-29-2006, 05:43 PM
After looking at the photo, the top rubber band is illegal, as it is tied to and over the cross string. It can be pushed up and touch it, but it can't be tied to it. P.S. You're two middle strings would be so damped that they probably aren't even working. They need to vibrate to work best, but that is way over the top.

Redflea
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
After looking at the photo, the top rubber band is illegal, as it is tied to and over the cross string. It can be pushed up and touch it, but it can't be tied to it. P.S. You're two middle strings would be so damped that they probably aren't even working. They need to vibrate to work best, but that is way over the top.

That's what I meant/thought...

Jmsx531...get a couple Gamma shockbusters and put them on the racquet. That should take care of all your issues w/out having to have more dampeners than strings... ;)

jdeloach
11-29-2006, 06:45 PM
I believe he is messing with everyone. I don't think he really uses that setup....lol

WhiteSox05CA
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
You can have a dampener at the top, AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT ENTER THE CROSS-STRING PATTERN. The one at the top looks as though it is wrapped around the top-most cross string, so I would say that is illegal in something like a USTA match. If that second dampener at the top wasn't wrapped around the cross string then it would be fine.

It you like the weight at the top, why not just put a couple more strips of lead tape @ 12 o'clock?
________
Washington Medical Marijuana (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

AJK1
11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
jmsx521, i think you need to read "technical tennis" to give you a better understanding of racquet customisation and physics and how it affects your racquet. You are making some major blunders there my friend.

freelancer
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I've been told by many different people that you can have a dampner anywhere on the outsides of the racquet, (most everyone just chooses the bottom area), but that you're only allowed to have one dampener. I wish I could use your set up though, lol. I hate string vibration.

diredesire
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
It is technically illegal because it captures the top main string. It's not illegal to have one at the top, though.

jmsx521
11-30-2006, 06:45 AM
It is the Dunlop 200G XL. No, I am not messing with anyone; I do use this set up... I've tested playing with different set-ups too; this one feels best. In the past I even tested using rubber-bands in the 3 and 9 o'clock position too... didn't work out.

I used to think that Agassi and Roddick tie up the rubber-bands around the crosses too (on the bottom), but I guess I am wrong. So, from now on I'll tie the top and bottom-ones without touching the crosses.

As far as the lead tape, the strips of tape that are holding it to the frame are duct tape, because the lead tape strips can't stick to the racket well.

dennis1188
11-30-2006, 01:16 PM
BTW there is no usta regulation against using 'multiple dampeners' only the placement. They r legal.

diredesire
12-01-2006, 05:58 PM
BTW there is no usta regulation against using 'multiple dampeners' only the placement. They r legal.

If you look closely, the top string is tied up inside the rubber band, thus making it illegal, otherwise it is fine.

vinnier6
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
your top one is illegal, and agassi and roddick dont tie up on their bottom cross string, just the two middle mains under the bottom most cross, but not too the cross...