PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here take "supplements" or anything to enhance performance?

kerplunker
11-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I know a lot of teens are into creatine and such who play tournies...What do you guys take?

BiGGieStuFF
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I just take optimum nutrition whey protein. Nothing else really. It allows me to cut down on fatty meats but still get my protein for muscle growth and repair

kerplunker
11-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey I use the same stuff actually...

BiGGieStuFF
11-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey I use the same stuff actually...
I can't really think of any other supplements you'd want to take. Maybe vitamins perhaps to account for any you might be lacking but other than that you want to stay as natural as possible.

serveitup911
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I eat huge amounts of Spinach. It is loaded with vitamins and beneficial phytochemicals.

<3Tennis
11-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Calcium tablets?

Seriously though, when i first read this topic I was thinking of Barry Bonds... but thats just me.

Dunlopkid
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Calcium tablets?

Seriously though, when i first read this topic I was thinking of Barry Bonds... but thats just me.

LOL.............

xtremerunnerars
11-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I can't really think of any other supplements you'd want to take. Maybe vitamins perhaps to account for any you might be lacking but other than that you want to stay as natural as possible.

Same here. I bought some dextrose online and put some of that in my shakes as well. I take a multi in the morning with a shake, and then i have a shake before lunch. For the pre school lunch one, i mix it ahead of time (got a nice shaker cup for my bday) and then shake it really fast when i'm at my locker then chug chug chug! 8-12oz is down in like 4 seconds haha. Usually i have one before i go to bed, unless dinner that night was especially loaded.

I do intend to sample creatine in the near future, and i'll be sure to let you guys know about how that goes.

If you guys need ANY articles on creatine, creatine safety, an athletic diet, dieting in general or any stuff like that...lemme know.

Hell, if you're interested in that stuff like i am just lemme know and i'll show you some of the stuff a fellow tw'er sent me!

looseswing
11-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey xtreme, would you mind sending the stuff that you have to me? My email address is amitj555@yahoo.com.

xtremerunnerars
11-30-2006, 05:59 PM
*edit*

Here's a link with all of that stuff:

http://www.freewebs.com/xtremerunnerars/index.htm

IT WAS IN!!!
11-30-2006, 06:22 PM
i just know guys who take human growth horimone shots

xtremerunnerars
11-30-2006, 06:33 PM

are you serious? i hope not.

Night
11-30-2006, 07:16 PM

You must be gay ;)

dave333
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM
i use a vitamin pill w/ omega 3 fatty acids...tastes like crap but its helps concentration and also helps me in school. as for my protein...3 cups o milk each day!

xtremerunnerars
12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
i use a vitamin pill w/ omega 3 fatty acids...tastes like crap but its helps concentration and also helps me in school. as for my protein...3 cups o milk each day!

If they're 8oz cups you are getting probably like 1/4 of your recommended protein.

8g of protein per cup*3 cups=24g.

I get that if i eat a scoop of protein powder!

tennis-skater
12-01-2006, 06:34 PM
after reading up on creatine it sounds interesting i think im going to try it

Rafa's best friend
12-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Do you need growth hormone??

tennis-skater
12-01-2006, 06:48 PM
i dont need growth hormone but i would like to gain some muscle mass

Rafa's best friend
12-01-2006, 06:57 PM
i dont need growth hormone but i would like to gain some muscle mass

Why not go get a hot looking personal trainer??:grin:

psamp14
12-01-2006, 08:13 PM
for once i fully side with RBF on this....get a personal trainer, and get a hot one...you dont need do take any supplements or anything, just work out, get plenty of rest, and eat healthy....

Duzza
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't but I have been offered supplements to increase my manhood, whatever that means ...

tennis-skater
12-02-2006, 05:02 AM
yeah except a personal trainer is 40bucks an hr and i cant justify 40$ for one per week and getting a 60$ private lesson every week. and supposedly creatine also gives you more endurance and helps you heal quicker

Duzza
12-02-2006, 06:02 AM
yeah except a personal trainer is 40bucks an hr and i cant justify 40$ for one per week and getting a 60$ private lesson every week. and supposedly creatine also gives you more endurance and helps you heal quicker

60 American dollars for a lesson what a joke. I just started serious one's with a guy for 60 Australian dollars and hour, and he gives me 2 anyway. Plus he's the best coach I've ever had which doubles the quality.

tennis-skater
12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Duzza
Quote:
60 American dollars for a lesson what a joke. I just started serious one's with a guy for 60 Australian dollars and hour, and he gives me 2 anyway. Plus he's the best coach I've ever had which doubles the quality.

well the coach is really good but its the same price for lessons as everywhere else

IT WAS IN!!!
12-02-2006, 03:28 PM
are you serious? i hope not.

yeah he is in college now but he was small then so his dad gave him the shots; one of my friends who doesnt play tennis has taken them for the last 3 years he wasnt growing and his parents were suprised he wasnt. his parents are both short so it was expected. he looks like a 30 year old in a 14 year olds body

mhstennis100
12-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi my name is Barry Bonds and I have used supplements. Look at picture of me to see the results.

kerplunker
12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I use creatine...and yes about the endurance...visit www.bodybuilding.com or www.athletes.com and go to their forums for tons of info...

tennis-skater
12-04-2006, 12:55 PM
where do you get it because around here gnc only sells it to you if your 18

xtremerunnerars
12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
what the hell? I'm sorry but what about creatine makes it safe for 18 year olds??? I'd be willing to bet nobody there knows much of anything about good nutrition or training. All GNC is, imo, is a company that started with good intentions but grossly overcharges.

Example: 100% ON Whey gold standard vanilla (10lbs) is >100$ at gnc. Other sites (several) have it at 50.00$!!!!!!

Order it online tennis-skater. In fact, everything is probably cheaper online even with factoring in shipping. Vitacost.com and bulknutrition.com are good places to start.

Stay away from liquid creatine. If you're going to start and have read some stuff, I would recommend going with a basic creatine monohydrate powder. Most people i've talked to started with that, and said it helped. There's buffered creatine (different pH to prevent breakdown into creatinine (waste creatine sorta)) and Kre-Alkalyn, both of which are about the same.

tennis-skater
12-06-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah its pretty stupid. alright ill think about it i just got to talk my dad into it. i wouldnt use liquid i would just use powder it would be easier

xtremerunnerars
12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
yeah its pretty stupid. alright ill think about it i just got to talk my dad into it. i wouldnt use liquid i would just use powder it would be easier

I know how hard it is to talk your parents into it. All you can do is educate yourself and attempt to educate them. Nobody wants information forced on them, so just tell them that you've read your fair share from reputable sources and present your readings.

My parents weren't crazy either, until they saw that i wanted what was best for me.

slice bh compliment
12-06-2006, 09:00 PM
I knew a dude who took a LOT of supplements. He looks great!
He is in his mid-thirties, has high blood pressure and a liver problem....and is not sure if he will be able to have children. Coincidence? Genetic predisposition? Who knows? Why take chances with your health? Life is a gift. Why compromise for the sake of ... performance in sports or in da gym?

Play well. Enjoy working hard. Love the game. Stay off the crap.

andyroddick's mojo
12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
hey, i just bought some muscle milk, and am now drinking it after my conditioning work outs (non-tennis). I'll tell you if i feel a difference and see if its working. I really need to get my upper body a little stronger, haha.

tennis-skater
12-07-2006, 03:10 AM
well my coach (p1 and a D1 6.0ish player) said that i have near perfect techinque and that all i need to do his get stronger and tennis season starts late january

I know how hard it is to talk your parents into it. All you can do is educate yourself and attempt to educate them. Nobody wants information forced on them, so just tell them that you've read your fair share from reputable sources and present your readings.

My parents weren't crazy either, until they saw that i wanted what was best for me.

yeah im going to try i've been hinting it to my dad

fishuuuuu
12-10-2006, 06:24 PM
well my coach (p1 and a D1 6.0ish player) said that i have near perfect techinque and that all i need to do his get stronger and tennis season starts late january

yeah im going to try i've been hinting it to my dad

I started taking supplements for my fitness (which made my tennis better) almost a year ago. Creatine, whey protein, cytomax are three things I'd recommend to starters.

acetennisman
12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know about that C. I'm the one who should be using creatine. But in the end, i don't think its fair. You could practice arguing your case to me as your would your parents. And whats up?

kerplunker
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Tennis-Skater, creatine is a supplement that enhances your body's cellular abilty to increase water retention. Before considering to take creatine make sure your diet is in check. To get stronger which is what you want eat...and eat alot. I'd say try to hit 3500+ calories and a 3:1 Carb:Protein ratio. Next to consider is a multivitamin. Great multivitamins are NOW Adam, Universal Animal Pak, and GNC Mega Men. Then consider a whey protein for post workout. Good whey's are Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard, Sportpharma Whey, Ergopharm GF-Pro (which is the best), and Beverly International's protein. You can also think about getting a weight gainer such as Cytosport Cytogainer, Allmax Quickmass, Ergopharm Mass Meal, SAN Infusion, or Universal Real Gains.

Obvisouly you want to consider a creatine as well. For starters like myself, starting on a creatine monohydrate would be a good idea to get your body use to it. People will tell you to load 20g's a day yet you do not have to do that and I don't recommend it either. 5 grams a day of a monohydrate for 4 weeks or as long as you want would be fine as long as your water intake is increased to 4 liters+ a day. A good creatine mono is Ultimate Nutrition Creapure. Then if you want to get into more advanced creatine consider products such as Controlled Labs GreenMag, MAN Clout, and Gaspari SizeOn. As a warning creatine Mono makes you bloat. If you do not want to bloat consider an "advanced creatine".

Make sure you know what your putting into your body before you do it. That would be a good idea. Taking a fish oil would also be a good idea. Also make sure your workout plan is a good one and check with some trainers on it. Good Luck and if you have any questions I may have the answers. BTW I am a 16yr old high school player who does extensive research.

KERPLUNKER

xtremerunnerars
12-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Tennis-Skater, creatine is a supplement that enhances your body's cellular abilty to increase water retention.
KERPLUNKER

While it does that, that's not necessarily the only reason to have it. It's not the best, either.

Since most of you have been through 9th grade biology (well, probably) it's likely that you've somewhere heard about cellular respiration/glycolysis/etc.

Your body uses an energy called ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate, with adeno being of the DNA nitrogen base adenine) Your body uses it in some cases (muscles being one) by dumping off a phosphate (making ATP into ADP). Creatine has a phosphate on it, which it quickly donates to that ADP. That turns it back into ATP which can then donate another phosphate. It continues.

That translate to increased "strength" and endurance. The ATP uses the phosphate that it drops (if i remember correctly) for active transport.

It does increase water retention though, so you're not technically wrong.

One of the older posters could probably shed more light on this than most of us could hope to lol.

kerplunker
12-14-2006, 06:37 PM
While it does that, that's not necessarily the only reason to have it. It's not the best, either.

Since most of you have been through 9th grade biology (well, probably) it's likely that you've somewhere heard about cellular respiration/glycolysis/etc.

Your body uses an energy called ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate, with adeno being of the DNA nitrogen base adenine) Your body uses it in some cases (muscles being one) by dumping off a phosphate (making ATP into ADP). Creatine has a phosphate on it, which it quickly donates to that ADP. That turns it back into ATP which can then donate another phosphate. It continues.

That translate to increased "strength" and endurance. The ATP uses the phosphate that it drops (if i remember correctly) for active transport.

It does increase water retention though, so you're not technically wrong.

One of the older posters could probably shed more light on this than most of us could hope to lol.

I am aware...but I did not want to get into all that. I was giving an overall view on what it did in non-scientifical terms and more health related.

xtremerunnerars
12-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Ah, my bad. Just didn't want anyone thinking that having a whole ton of water in their body was going to make em ripped or anything :p

tennis-skater
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
acetennisman I don't know about that C. I'm the one who should be using creatine. But in the end, i don't think its fair. You could practice arguing your case to me as your would your parents. And whats up?

Well Mike told me that I just need to get stronger so I just started taking creatine 5g per day and whey protein and its been working pretty good for just a week I can see my arms get a bit bigger. I'm not going to ask my parents I made friends with the guy at the GNC store and he'll let me get it the other one was just an ***. Plus I'm switching to the Pure Control so with that I should be able to hit harder. I'm getting my replacement n6.1 tour soon for the one that cracked so if you know anyone who wants to buy it let me know.

kerplunker
01-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Well Mike told me that I just need to get stronger so I just started taking creatine 5g per day and whey protein and its been working pretty good for just a week I can see my arms get a bit bigger. I'm not going to ask my parents I made friends with the guy at the GNC store and he'll let me get it the other one was just an ***. Plus I'm switching to the Pure Control so with that I should be able to hit harder. I'm getting my replacement n6.1 tour soon for the one that cracked so if you know anyone who wants to buy it let me know.
Hey man, hows the creatine going. I am actually starting some new supplements soon that have been proven to be great. I am still reading over some studies. You may want to check it out, the supplement is called Beta-Alanine. Is more geared towards performance rather than size.

For protein please please take a look at AllMax IsoFlex, AllMax Quickmass, or AllMax AllWhey. The company is 100% top notch products that I can't stress enough to how good they are. If you looking for a weight gainer try AllMax QuickMass, GNC should have it. GREAT GREAT product.

tennis-skater
01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm taking it right now just to keep my strength up since I'm cutting weight hopefully to get down to 133 (I'll be 7-8% bf then) but I think it works pretty well once I reach my goal then I'll start bulking up a little bit in tennis areas (back, abs, shoulders, arms, legs) Yeah I take gnc 100% whey and its good. If I do sqauts would that increase my explosive power?

xtremerunnerars
01-12-2007, 07:33 PM
gnc 100% is so expensive! Just order 100% on whey gold standard....it's 52 bucks for 10lbs! And on top of that, it's awesome.

tennis-skater
01-14-2007, 10:33 AM
are you kidding me ON tastes like ***** I bought every flavor and its bad. GNC coookies 'n cream try it you'll never have anything else. make a shake w/some peanut butter in there you'll love it

kerplunker
01-15-2007, 09:02 AM
are you kidding me ON tastes like ***** I bought every flavor and its bad. GNC coookies 'n cream try it you'll never have anything else. make a shake w/some peanut butter in there you'll love it
Ok, listen man. Your going to get a quick lesson in protein here. GNC 100% is all whey protein concentrate, this is the lowest quality and least absorbing protein of all the whey proteins. ON whey uses a combination of Whey protein Isolate, Concentrate and Peptides, which allows your body to utilize each over a span of time (about 40min). Whey ISOLATE is the best imo. Your body utlizes it the best and will help you the best in the long run. If you are true to recovery and want a quality protein take a look at these:

http://athletes.com/store/all/iso.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ergo/gf.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/intrapro.html
http://www.giantnutrition.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=52

Your biggest problem is worrying about taste. Man suck it up and whip it down. It will do you better than what tastes good.

The best in my opinion is the first one. AllMax IsoFlex. Tastes fantastic and has the best ingredients in any of them.

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
oh yeah I know ON is better I was just saying that GNC cookies n' cream is the best tasting and like whenever I feel like treating myself instead of having a ice cream or something ill have one of those

kerplunker
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Alright well its way overpriced and there are healthier solutions out there. Whats your favorite flavor...I'll assist you to finding a good one.

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
GNC is over priced? no its cheap its like 25bucks for 6 lbs. Cookies n' cream is my favorite flavor i think ON has it but my dad will only let me order from gnc

kerplunker
01-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Alright, well Chocolate Mint ON is amazing. Maybe try cytosports Complete Whey

tennis-skater
01-15-2007, 11:39 AM
hmm okay have you tried the chocolate from ON because I thought it was nasty but if you liked it not sure if i would like chocolate mint

kerplunker
01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I do like chocolate, but I also mix it with other stuff like dextrose, milk, ice cream, and sometimes creatine. But man, you really need to escape GNC and go to better online sites. AllMax's IsoFlex is something that you will love after seeing the benefits you get from it. It's really something to like.

Ronaldo
01-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Try Cayenne and Ginger with every meal. Really fires up your metabolism now and early in the morning.

kerplunker
01-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Cayenne is used in fat burners...lol

cmb
01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I just got some NOS Blast, it has creatine among many others, and its giving me a pretty good lift when I hit the courts.

Bjorn99
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Human Growth, Pituitary enhancement, serotonin, dopamine, DHEA and all the other stuff the top three in the world get their hands on.

kerplunker
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Tennis-Skater, hows that creatine? Just checkin up to see how you like it. I am thinking about htiting up some new creatine after my injuries heal.

Techniques
01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I take nothing..just Powerade and water. That is all. Maybe a banana or sports bar. Thats it basically.

maverick66
01-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Human Growth, Pituitary enhancement, serotonin, dopamine, DHEA and all the other stuff the top three in the world get their hands on.

i hope this is a joke. no one here take any of this crap.

and try iso-pure for protein it taste good and if you struggle with digesting whey which is a dairy product then try it. also look into glutamine to mix with your protein. a good multivitamin goes a long way as well. i take that plus fish oil and zma which also help. all of this stuff was givin to me by a trainer who is very knowlegable in nutrition so its good stuff.

i also wish people would stop saying supplements cause liver failure and other problems. show me the study where this is proven and then maybe ill listen to you.

kerplunker
01-30-2007, 02:19 PM
i hope this is a joke. no one here take any of this crap.

and try iso-pure for protein it taste good and if you struggle with digesting whey which is a dairy product then try it. also look into glutamine to mix with your protein. a good multivitamin goes a long way as well. i take that plus fish oil and zma which also help. all of this stuff was givin to me by a trainer who is very knowlegable in nutrition so its good stuff.

i also wish people would stop saying supplements cause liver failure and other problems. show me the study where this is proven and then maybe ill listen to you.
Iso-pure is very very very over priced for the lack of good things it has in it. AllMax Isoflex whey is a million times better for the money. You get so much more to help you out and tastes great. AllMax is a super company.

kerplunker
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Hows everyone whos taking creatine doing?

slice bh compliment
02-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I had the oncomings of a cold sore/fever blister kind of thing on my lip. Took the amino acid L-Lysine. Gave it some air. Gone in two days, gained two pounds of muscle (I think), and I'm faster, stronger and my serve is 12% harder all of a sudden;) .

That, some spirulina, and the occasional wheat grass shot are the supplements that keep me feeling strong.

tennis-skater
02-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I had the oncomings of a cold sore/fever blister kind of thing on my lip. Took the amino acid L-Lysine. Gave it some air. Gone in two days, gained two pounds of muscle (I think), and I'm faster, stronger and my serve is 12% harder all of a sudden;) .

That, some spirulina, and the occasional wheat grass shot are the supplements that keep me feeling strong.

Gained two pounds of muscle in how long? If its under a month might want to cool out on the roids

But I stopped taking it since everything got screwed up with highschool tennis but once we start doing matches I'll go back on it. But while I was on it I did notice improvements