PDA

View Full Version : Switching racquets due to elbow

aikido
08-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm a 3.5 player who likes to power the ball - inconsistently, of course, but that's half the fun :) - and have been playing with (but probably is not the right racquet for me) the Wilson PS 6.0 and PS Classic 6.1 for years. I've also had some elbow problems for quite some time. Apart from changing mechanics, and speaking strictly racquets, I've decided to change over to a more elbow friendly (and not too expensive) racquet. I'd like to demo the Volkl Cat 10 and the Yonex MP 2i. Any thoughts, and what about strings and tension??

All opinions are greatly appreciated

tennis tech
08-14-2004, 11:10 AM
The Wilsons are players racquets, you should not have problems, it seems you are using a heavy racquet, try something ligher, around 300 gr, head light and flex rating no more than 64.
Personally I did not like the Yonex MP 2i.

Matt H.
08-14-2004, 12:30 PM
before going out and buying a new racquet, try telling us what string and tension you use.

These are very important parts to the equation. Perhaps a softer string and/or lowering the tension is the answer.

For all we know, you could be using natural gut at 55lbs, or a kevlar/poly hybrid strung at 70. :shock:

(it's a bit drastic, but done so to show my point).

brijoel
08-14-2004, 12:59 PM
^^^i used to use kevlar and poly at that tension, lol.

your 6.0 should be fine, but i know the 6.1 gave me some problems after awhile even though its a great racquet to play with. rediculously stiff though.
but i agree, strings play a huge part in how poor a racquets pain reducing qualities can be.

aikido
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm using both Gosen OG Sheep Micro in my main racquet and Wilson Stamina in my back up. Both 16 Guage, both strung at 62.

Steve H.
08-16-2004, 07:28 PM
The 6.0 isn't especially arm-friendly either. If you like to take a big cut, and are comfortable with a 12-ounce frame, try the Volkl C10 pro. Very comfortable, and satisfying when you stroke it just right!

jayserinos99
08-16-2004, 10:53 PM
matt, you just made my arm cringe after reading kevlar being strung at 70 lbs! :lol:

the c10 is a good racquet to try. i have the volkl tour 10 midplus which is also comfy but not as flexible in the upper hoop as the c10. for years i've been trying to duplicate the feel of the 6.1, but the closest i've felt is the tour 10 that's been leaded up. it'll never replace that stiff feel of the 6.1, but it'll give me the heft, flex and comfort i need.

cristian p
08-17-2004, 12:22 AM
As others have noted, the PS 6.0 and 6.1 are not very arm friendly. I know quite a number of folks who have developed various arm ailments (shoulder, elbow, etc.) due to these frames, and from previous posts on these boards in the past, it seems that there are many more out there that have also developed problems. Indeed, the racquetresearch.com rankings (take it for what you will), has racquets like the Surge and Pure Drive rated as being more arm-friendly overall.

As others suggested, a change to a softer string at a lower tension may help. If that doesn't work, demo some of the Pro Kennex Kinetic racquets. A number of my students that had arm problems have switched to various Kinetic racquets (5G and 7G in particular) with amazing improvements to their arm. In addition to being arm friendly, the sticks are extremely well-built (without any fancy paintjobs or other bells and whistles) and play very well. Extremely underrated racquets in my opinion.

aikido
08-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the input people. I will be switching strings either way to a softer one, but it looks as the the C10 is worth a try. Not much postive feedback on the Yonex........

Cristian p - I was considering the 5G but in my research it seems to be a racquet that may be prone to breaking. Any of your students have this happen?

Thanks to all for your replies......

Scott

cristian p
08-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Scott,

I've never personally seen or heard of cracking problems with any of the Kinetic racquets with my students and others that I know who use them. Of course, none of them are the racquet-throwing types, and I string for a good number of them on a Babolat Sensor machine at work without any problems. Others on this board, however, may have different experiences... I frankly don't know the extent of "abuse" the racquet can take (e.g., incidental contact on the ground, etc.) or if it'll hold up on something like a Klippermate, but if you treat the racquet right, I'm sure it'll hold up. Perhaps a search through the boards may give you further insight on other's experiences, as well as any info on PK's warranty.

As far as the MP2i, I haven't played with this racquet. I have, however, played with the old URQ-Ti1500, which was the predecessor for the 2i. The 1500 played ok for me -- a very light frame that felt even lighter due to a substantial head light balance. Extremely maneuverable, but not enough weight for me to generate any penetrating power, especially off the ground. It did have extremely good spin potential, as seems to be the case with many Yonex sticks. It would make for a nice doubles stick for someone looking for something under 11.5 oz. As far as the arm safety of the 1500, I can't really comment since I didn't hit with it for very long. It did feel soft though because it was super flexible -- had something like a 59 flex rating. The bigger issue was whether the lack of mass, in combination with the high flexibility of the racquet, could provide enough stability. The racquet did have a tendency to twist and torque a lot, which may not be the greatest thing if you have arm problems. But again, I don't know how similar the 2i is to the 1500, and it may just be very different.

As always, racquet selection is a matter of preference and you should thoroughly demo various racquets to see what you suits you the best, regardless of what I or anyone else may think of the racquet.

louisc
08-18-2004, 08:06 AM
aikido

sorry for the basics question, but are you using the correct grip size or one that is deliberately smaller? using one which is too small as you might know can often be a cause, or a contributing cause, of tennis elbow. i used to use a 4 1/2, but dropped to 4 3/8 to get (i thought) a bit more wrist involved. my elbow flared up terribly over time, getting worse and worse, taking longer and longer to get better. i now use a 4 5/8 with 2 overgrips. no more elbow problems ever since and no change in the amount of wrist action. it's just a thought.

louis

serge
08-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Maybe you have arm problems because of your strokes ... Take one or too sessions with a pro trainer ... He will say you if your technic can develop an arm problem or not - specially the serve movement.

leigh
08-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I played with the 6.1 for a number of years and fought arm and shoulder problems. Bought the 5g 5 years ago and never looked back. The 5g is a fine racquet just as the 6.1 but no arm/shoulder problems. I play 4-6 times per week.

racquet has a 2 year warrenty. I have not had any problems.

Gaines Hillix
08-18-2004, 12:47 PM
I agree with the recommendation on the PK 5G/PK 7G. I've been on this board for several years and don't ever recall seeing anyone post a complaint about them breaking.

aikido
08-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Once again, thanks people.

Christian p and Gaines - the breaking problems I read about (and don't get me wrong, there aren't a lot) were on the TW website under 'user comments' at the 5G's page. Don't get me wrong, I would consider one, but when I see more than one person make a breaking claim, I at least give is a second thought.......

louisc - I have a decent size hand and play with a 4 5/8's grip (depending on racquet make) with Tournagrip on it, which gives me the ' index finger room between the palm and ring finger' allowance recommended, so I don't think it's the grip, but thanks for thinking of it..

Serge - as I mentioed in my original post, I was just interested in arm-friendly racquets for now. Being a life long hacker, I'm sure they (my strokes) could be tweaked for the better as you mention :)

Thanks to all other's comments also. I'll let ya know what I think about the Volkl. If I don't like it, I'll give the 5G a try....

norcal
08-19-2004, 07:52 AM
My elbow problems got substantially better when I switched to the Yonex MP2i. I was using the Wilson 6.1 which I loved but I switched to the Yonex 1500 to try a flexible racket. When that was discontinued I tried the MP2i.

Although the MP2i is the successor to the 1500 it is a very different racket. More head heavy and more of a 'solid' wieghty feel. Not as good in the touch dept. But excellent on the elbow (mine at least). I'd say it is worth a demo.

I use a poly hybrid btw.

Matt H.
08-22-2004, 09:28 PM
well, that wilson stamina is more than likely contributing to some of the arm problems.

you should try something more friendly, like tecnifibre e-matrix, wilson sensation, or any of those other multi filament strings, or perhaps some natural gut.