PDA

View Full Version : in search of a good all-court racquet

dylo
11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
i tend to put a big emphasis on versatility to keep my opponet guessing. my slice, topspin, and kick serves all use the same windup and general motions. i can use flat, super topspin, and super slice on both sides along with one and two handed fore and back hands.

i have a prostaff 6.0 95 for serve and volleying and a tour 10 v-engine mp for baselining. now im looking for a good all court racquet so i can serve and volley and baseline bash without switching racquets.

any suggestions? also looking for good spin racquets

fuzz nation
11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Your quest sounds all too familiar... I use a Prostaff 6.1 classic, but have more fun baselining with a less powerful frame like the NXG mid which really doesn't compare to the 6.1 in the serve and volley realm. One racquet that may do it all for you is the Flexpoint Radical Tour; when I demoed it I hit spin I didn't know was possible and it has enough weight to plow through the ball well, too.

The NXG mp makes lots of spin and the heavier Fischer M-Speed doesn't seem to have a glaring weakness, but that Head frame came to mind first.

Bottle Rocket
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
I hate to do this because I've done it so many times, but for a great all around racket, I must recommend the Babolat Pure Storm. I have tried at least 15 or 20 of the newer rackets out there and this one can do it all.

If you want a racket that is great for volleys and heavy top spin groundstrokes as well as spin serves, the 03 Hybrid Tour is my other choice. It won't work too well for your flat shots though...

I've written extensive reviews on both rackets if you're interested. They are around the forum somewhere...

I know I am just one person and my opinion may not matter at all, but I highly recommend you demo those two.

I am sort of curious... Do you have an NTRP rating?

hoosierbr
11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
I'd recommend the following as good all-court frames, suitable for s&v and baseline bashing:

Dunlop MFil 200 (2006) - perhaps with a little weight added
Yonex RDX 500 Mid or MP - never tried the MP but many who have tried both prefer the Mid
Volkl Tour 10 Gen II
Volkl C10 Pro
Bablot Pure Drive - standard; didn't care for the PD+
Perhaps the Prince O3 Tour Mid. Haven't tried it but it's gotten good reviews. Didn't like the O3 MP

SoBad
11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I hate to do this because I've done it so many times, but for a great all around racket, I must recommend the Babolat Pure Storm. I have tried at least 15 or 20 of the newer rackets out there and this one can do it all.

If you want a racket that is great for volleys and heavy top spin groundstrokes as well as spin serves, the 03 Hybrid Tour is my other choice. It won't work too well for your flat shots though...

I've written extensive reviews on both rackets if you're interested. They are around the forum somewhere...

I know I am just one person and my opinion may not matter at all, but I highly recommend you demo those two.

I am sort of curious... Do you have an NTRP rating?

I agree, just get Pure Storm, you won't regret it.

meh
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I personally thought that the PS 6.0 95 was excellent off the baseline, and a waffle on serves. Maybe you should tweak the 6.0 a bit, with lead and/or string changes?

Redflea
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Since you want more than the 6.0 95 from the baseline, I won't suggest any mids...

I'm an all courter and use the M-Fil 300...very versatile racquet, serves great, volleys really well, strong enough from the baseline to put things away...M-Fil 200 2006 could be a good choice as well if you want more mass and more head-light.

Volkl DNX 9 is worth a look.

Yonex RDS 001 MP (though I didn't find it as spinny, may be just me...)

Fischer M-Speed Pro (if you can handle the square grip)

LM Rad MP