PDA

View Full Version : Silent Partner e.Stringer CL

Casco
11-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm looking to purchase a stringing machine in the $400 to $600 range. I have read many of the threads in this forum regarding machines in this price range. I've taken note of the pros and cons of the various types of mechanisms. I have looked at the literature regarding the various machines and seen the webpages describing them.

After all of this research, the machine that makes the most sense to me is not one that I see recommended often for the $400 to $600 range. It has fixed clamps, it has constant pull, it is more convenient than a drop weight type, and in fact it's electric. I'm referring to the the Silent Partner e.Stringer CL for $469.00. It is approximately the same price of the Alpha Revo4000, but is not a lockout type (so no guessing at 10% higher string tension), it has the convenience and constant pull of an electric unit, it has fixed clamps, and it looks solid. So what's the deal with this machine? Thanks!

LttlElvis
11-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Silent Partner is a very reputable company, but I would stay away from an inexpensive electronic stringer of any brand.

If your choices are between the SP e.Stringer CL and an Alpha Revo 4000, go with the Alpha. Too many things can go wrong with an inexpensive electronic stringer.

If you plan on stringing gut, the SP e.Stringer CL is a bit rough on it from the rotational gripper. If you like Silent Partner, the Jazz and Maestro are actually better choices than the e.Stringer.

theace21
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree with LttlElvis - stick with the Alpha Revo. You can do a search and find several threads on these "cheap" electric machines. If you want to go electric, plan on spending around $1600 and up. Better of getting a solid crank, you can always add the wise tension head for around $500 later...

Redflea
11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Revo-Revo-Revo.... ;)

josephhkim
11-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually,

I'm almost positive that the CL is a lockout machine.

It is indeed electric, but there is no constant pull.

The only SP machines that are constant pull are the DG, Aria, and Opus.

I'd go with the Alpha.

topknocker
11-30-2006, 09:04 AM
i had a cl from sp. you will not like it at all. might startout ok, but in time you will get very frustrated with it. i sent mine back and got a crank. best thing i did. get the revo, or if you want to get a sp product get the maestro. sp is a great company, but that cl is a pain.

Casco
11-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks to all the respondents to my questions for the advice!

tennis&racquetball89
12-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah I'd agree with everyone else and go with the Alpha because not only is its tensioning mechanism more solid its mounting system looks much better as well.