PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Sting Midsize Specs?

PurePrestige
11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Awhile ago I acquired a Wilson Sting Midsize. Black racquet with blue stripe, 85 sq inches, and it has an Arc'd crossbar stabilizer.
It feels heavy but it is quite an alright hitting racquet.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding some specs for this baby?

JRProstaf9
11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I remebmer this sracket. Definitly a great stick to hit with. Not sure of the exact specs but it was very similar to the prostaff 6.0 original 85.
the headsize was about a 90 if i remember right and overall had a bit more flex than the 6.0.

psp2
11-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Awhile ago I acquired a Wilson Sting Midsize. Black racquet with blue stripe, 85 sq inches, and it has an Arc'd crossbar stabilizer.
It feels heavy but it is quite an alright hitting racquet.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding some specs for this baby?

Not exact, but close:
~12.3 oz. strung
85 sq. in.
RDC: 50
8pts. HL
16x18

yourserve
11-30-2006, 01:04 PM
the grommets are not the same as a ps 85. i tryed to find some gromments for a sting that i strung a while back. the ps wouldn't work. the mains are closer together on the sting.

psp2
11-30-2006, 01:54 PM
the grommets are not the same as a ps 85. i tryed to find some gromments for a sting that i strung a while back. the ps wouldn't work. the mains are closer together on the sting.

There were different Sting models, iirc. The black w/blue line version used the same grommets/bumperguard as the SV PS85 (22D-1615 code).

gsquicksilver
12-13-2006, 11:38 AM
the stings had 2 versions back in the 85 sq. in. days. there was the blue, grey, black sting and also the red, grey, black sting, but it was called the Sting 2.

anirut
12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
There's also a Sting SC -- SiliconCarbide. This one is copperish brown. Pretty stiff. This one's also 85 head, 4-6 pts HL (can't remember) and weights (with strings) around 340 grams.

gsquicksilver
12-13-2006, 12:00 PM
There's also a Sting SC -- SiliconCarbide. This one is copperish brown. Pretty stiff. This one's also 85 head, 4-6 pts HL (can't remember) and weights (with strings) around 340 grams.

you're right. i remember that frame as well. i also remember there was a white sting that was made without the crossbridge stabilizer bar. correct me if i'm wrong.

anirut
12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
you're right. i remember that frame as well. i also remember there was a white sting that was made without the crossbridge stabilizer bar. correct me if i'm wrong.

Not so sure about the white Sting, but I think I've seen it's pic somewhere ... :-(

And, yo! I have the SC!

python
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Wilson later resurrected the name for some of its retail line racquets. I had a Sting 95 high beam back in the early nineties that was a widebody. I almost killed a netman in doubles once off a serve return with this incarnation of the Sting. The server had blasted a flat once right into my hitting zone...I still remember his partner collapsing after I accidentally drilled the return into his gut.

Wish I still had that racquet. It wasn't a prestigious racquet (parents bought it for me from a Champ's Sports), but it played very well for such a powerful stick. Kind of like the Prince CTS Thunderstick 90.

lude popper
12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
mine RDCs at 328 SW -- plays more like POG MID than 6.0 85 -- and is about as comfortable as it gets. wonderful control stick for trading balls with a clean hitter --but I can't do much damage with it on those early mornings when I'm hung-over and coughing up short balls to a babolat wielding steroidal monkey. and forget about using it on the dirt, unless your feeding balls to Mrs. Havasham.

TW was selling the old Sting a couple years ago -- they got them from Bosworth[?]. I think the headsize is incorrectly stated as 90, but I don't know for sure. Here's the link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040604073244/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBOS-WSTING.html

psp2
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Not so sure about the white Sting, but I think I've seen it's pic somewhere ... :-(

And, yo! I have the SC!

Here's a photo of a Sting SC Ceramic that I used to have.

http://tinyurl.com/ybdwyu

anirut
12-13-2006, 01:02 PM
psp2,

My Sting SC is silicon carbide and is brownish. I'll post some pics after a few hours. It's 05:00 here -- too dark to take a pic.

Your SC must be "Sting Ceramic" I guess ... ;)

psp2
12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Yes. It was the SC Ceramic version.

gsquicksilver
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
psp2 Quote:
Originally Posted by anirut
Not so sure about the white Sting, but I think I've seen it's pic somewhere ...

And, yo! I have the SC!

that's the white one i was mentioning about!

vic9
12-20-2006, 10:58 PM
The Sting midsize were great racquets. My friend has a blue grey one and I have a brown SC one with PWS. They played pretty similar.

It's a good weapon against a serve and volleyer. Slices keep the ball so low and it's very easy to topspin the ball and have it barely clear the net and dip down into the volleyer's feet. I haven't found any other racquet that can do it this well.

Weak points would be it's not that maneuverable at the net and on serves.

I got mine weighed and it's 356 grams strung, but it doesn't have it's original leather grip. Lude, great find on that TW Bosworth link.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7711/dscf2734bvm5.jpg

anirut
12-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Vic9,

Thanks for the pic. Yes, I have that same looking stick. (And so sorry, everyone, for having forgotten my promise to post a pic of the stick ...)

proracketeer
03-13-2007, 02:17 AM
There's also a Sting SC. Pretty stiff.

How much is 'pretty stiff'?
Can you compare it for example with a redondo?

anirut
03-13-2007, 02:41 AM
How much is 'pretty stiff' Can you compare it for example with a redondo?

How about a plank for the Sting SC and a stiff, hard-packed pillow for the Redondo? Not that extreme though.

In fact the Sting is flexy in a way that the beam is thin, but you can feel the "hardness" of the material. The Redondo, on the other hand, you can feel the stiffness of the 20mm beam but the 100% graphite material allows it to flex well under stress so you don't feel it being stiff.

My opinion, of course.

proracketeer
03-13-2007, 02:59 AM
I like the Völkl C7, Tour 10 mid and Head Premier Tour. Than the Sting SC might feel too stiff, right?

anirut
03-13-2007, 03:47 AM
I like the Völkl C7, Tour 10 mid and Head Premier Tour. Than the Sting SC might feel too stiff, right?

I should think so.

jorel
03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
the first racquet i fell in love with the moment i had the first hit with it. this is THE racquet that turned me onto the fav 6.0 85. felt like it was made for me... felt like sampras the first time i picked it up to use it and opened up a whole new world for me... specs are very similar to the original chicago pro staff mids

Top_Spin
03-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Do you guys know if the bosworth wilson sting 90 plays like the ps 6.0 85?

jeffreyfranz
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM

http://tinyurl.com/ybdwyuPSP2:
I didn't see a photo. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

proracketeer
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Got a Flex rating? RDC?

anirut
03-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Got a Flex rating? RDC?

No sir. Have even tried asking Wilson and no info.