PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Super Metal IPS, scam?

FH2FH
11-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Yonex racquets, but I found it odd that when I was pulled a silver IPS "sticker" off a RDX 500 MP (I had accidentally broke), it must have weighed less than a fingernail. What's up with that? I thought it would be like lead or something with mass. Is the "super metal" supposed to be built into the frame or what? :-(

Ripper
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
That's just a sticker. The material you're refering to is supposed to be mixed within the graphite fibers, but don't ask me how it's done, because I'm not an expert.

11-30-2006, 12:18 PM
PWS is hollow inside (generally)
Triple Threat is cosemtic applique

Super IPS in inside the beam itself

AAAA
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Triple Threat is cosemtic applique

It is now but it used to be the real thing before they lost a lawsuit filed by Wilson.

EliteNinja
11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
That's just a sticker. The material you're refering to is supposed to be mixed within the graphite fibers, but don't ask me how it's done, because I'm not an expert.

They just stick thin filaments of the metal in there.
They are woven into the graphite fibers.
What kinda metal? Who knows...
My guess would be titanium as you can get it cheap from steel manufacturers. That's what they do for titanium golf clubs.

And I'm guessing that the position of the metal in the racquet would be at 3 and 9, where extra weight adds to the stability of a racquet.

And I betcha it's less than 1% volume of metal in the entire racquet (not including the buttcap staple).

Duzza
12-01-2006, 01:10 AM
It is now but it used to be the real thing before they lost a lawsuit filed by Wilson.

Yeah, my friend's dad has TT Bandit, I felt those bits yesterday and it was really similar to the PS technology. No wonder :p

12-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I forgot about that lawsuit.....thanks

FH2FH
12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
What about "intellifibers" and fischer's magnetic repulsion or whatever it is. Anyone believe in that stuff? A flexpoint DOES actually have holes doesn't it? Of course the Prince 03's do, but I wonder about the effectiveness. Rambling...

bcsax123
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Flexpoint seems to work when you hit very hard. Then you can feel the flexpoints. FXP prestige doesnt have a hole, not sure about others.