PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Prostaff 6.0 Original

Slazenger
11-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok, so I bought a used WIlson Prostaff 6.0 Original 95 midplus from a tennis club near where I live about a year ago.

I just realised yesterday that my racquet is a bit different from others.

Take a look at this picture I found online of another prostaff 6.0 midplus
http://i17.tinypic.com/4cw7q89.jpg

On my racquet it only says 'prostaff' not 'prostaff 6.0' and the font is different.
Also if you look closely in the pic you can see the recommended tension range. It is listed there as 55-65lbs, (which is also the range on TW site) but mine is listed as 50-60lbs on my racquet.

That racquet in particular also has a black buttcap. Infact here is the pic
http://i16.tinypic.com/2vxlq82.jpg
It has the letters GBY on the butt cap. Mine is a white buttcap with the letters GHN.

Aside from these things everything else on my racquet is exactly like the others I've seen inlcuding the one in the pic. Mine also has a WIlson Quality seal on it with a serial number which I emailed WIlson and they confirmed was a racquet existing in their system from 1996.

So is my racquet a fake?

Voltron
11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, so I bought a used WIlson Prostaff 6.0 Original 95 midplus from a tennis club near where I live about a year ago.

On my racquet it only says 'prostaff' not 'prostaff 6.0' and the font is different.
Also if you look closely in the pic you can see the recommended tension range. It is listed there as 55-65lbs, (which is also the range on TW site) but mine is listed as 50-60lbs on my racquet.

It has the letters GBY on the butt cap. Mine is a white buttcap with the letters GHN.

Aside from these things everything else on my racquet is exactly like the others I've seen inlcuding the one in the pic. Mine also has a WIlson Quality seal on it with a serial number which I emailed WIlson and they confirmed was a racquet existing in their system from 1996.

So is my racquet a fake?

I would think its real, simply from your email to wilson. Also PJs and specs change from 1996 to 2006. Albeit very slightly.

psp2
11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
You people who think "fake" at the first sign of slightly different cosmetics, specs or (fill in the blank) really need to give it a second thought before you pose your question.

You've answered your own question, genius.

Ash Doyle
11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
What you have is an older version of the ProStaff 6.0 95. I have one I bought in 1993 (or so) and it the same.

I agree with psp2, people need to calm down with the "fake paranoia". They aren't as common as people make it sound on here.

Slazenger
11-30-2006, 02:47 PM
You people who think "fake" at the first sign of slightly different cosmetics, specs or (fill in the blank) really need to give it a second thought before you pose your question.

You've answered your own question, genius.

Wow psp2, there's no need to be snarky. I was just wondering why my racquet didn't have the 6.0 on it and had a different tension range.
The seal is just a sticker and I was thinking maybe the seal was put there after the fact.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Slazenger
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
What you have is an older version of the ProStaff 6.0 95. I have one I bought in 1993 (or so) and it the same.

I agree with psp2, people need to calm down with the "fake paranoia". They aren't as common as people make it sound on here.

Thank you very much Ash. I was just surprised mine didn't have a 6.0 on it and EVERY other pic I looked up did.

psp2
11-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow psp2, there's no need to be snarky. I was just wondering why my racquet didn't have the 6.0 on it and had a different tension range.
The seal is just a sticker and I was thinking maybe the seal was put there after the fact.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Slaz;

I didn't mean to take it out on you, but the countless threads about "fake this, fake that" is too rampant these days. Some guy asked about a fake PS85 without even stating what HE though was suspicious.

znoopie
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Why would they bother to make fake PS 6.0 racquets? It's discontinued long time ago and nobody else wants it except us hardcore TW users. Only the latest and hottest racquets will be copied. Fed's nCode, Nadal's APD, Roddick's PD, Safin's Prestige, etc. Sampras' 6.0?!? ;)

Slazenger
11-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Why would they bother to make fake PS 6.0 racquets? It's discontinued long time ago and nobody else wants it except us hardcore TW users. Only the latest and hottest racquets will be copied. Fed's nCode, Nadal's APD, Roddick's PD, Safin's Prestige, etc. Sampras' 6.0?!? ;)

Good point!

meh
11-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Check the inside of the throat for "CHIAO TA." Should be the Taiwanese version; I have this one as well.

VGP
11-30-2006, 06:27 PM
...Sampras' 6.0?!? ;)

Actually, I'd include Sampras' PS 85 on the list. Since St. Vincent PS 85s are collector's items and sell for prices higher than the other rackets you listed.

....the PS 95? Not so much.

Slazenger
11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Check the inside of the throat for "CHIAO TA." Should be the Taiwanese version; I have this one as well.

Yes mine has it. However, the racquet I put the picture of above also has that. I just didn't post the pic where you can see it. And mine is still different from that one.

thejackal
11-30-2006, 06:32 PM
If it's a white buttcap, then it's real. I think Wilson stopped making racquets with them around 8-10 years ago.

psp2
11-30-2006, 09:54 PM
If it's a white buttcap, then it's real. I think Wilson stopped making racquets with them around 8-10 years ago.

There are plenty of PS95 with black buttcaps.

BreakPoint
12-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Slazenger,
Your racquet is real. Early versions of the PS 6.0 95 did not have the "6.0" designation. They only added the "6.0" around 1996 or so. They also changed from the white to the black butt cap around 1999 or so.

In fact for the first dozen years or so of production of the PS 6.0 85, it also did not have the "6.0" designation, and was simply known as the "ProStaff". Wilson started making the 95 version around 1994.

BreakPoint
12-01-2006, 02:12 AM
There is no such thing as a Taiwanese version of the PS 6.0 95. ALL 95's were/are made in China.

"Chiao Ta" is a Taiwanese-based company that made racquets for Wilson in China.

proracketeer
12-01-2006, 06:32 AM
Wilson started making the 95 version around 1994.
The Sampras Autograph was before?

Slazenger
12-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Slazenger,
Your racquet is real. Early versions of the PS 6.0 95 did not have the "6.0" designation. They only added the "6.0" around 1996 or so. They also changed from the white to the black butt cap around 1999 or so.

In fact for the first dozen years or so of production of the PS 6.0 85, it also did not have the "6.0" designation, and was simply known as the "ProStaff". Wilson started making the 95 version around 1994.

Thank you VERY much Breakpoint. See, this is good information. (for those that heckled me. You know who you are :mad: just kidding;) )

Ripper
12-01-2006, 06:53 AM
And why would they change the cosmetics? I mean, if your going to make an illegal fake product of another one, why not do it the same? Isn't that the point?

jeffreyfranz
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM

So is my racquet a fake?:?: The one interesting thing about this is the different stringing ranges. I string my 6.0 at 60 pounds, and I cannot imagine going much lower.

BreakPoint
12-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Thank you VERY much Breakpoint. See, this is good information. (for those that heckled me. You know who you are :mad: just kidding;) )
You're very welcome, Slazenger! :D

BTW, I forgot to mention that they did indeed change the recommended tension ranges on both the 85 and the 95 several times over the years.

I once had a Chicago version of the 85 that had a recommended tension range of "65-75 lbs." or something ridiculous like that.

meh
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
There is no such thing as a Taiwanese version of the PS 6.0 95. ALL 95's were/are made in China.

"Chiao Ta" is a Taiwanese-based company that made racquets for Wilson in China.
I stand corrected...