PDA

View Full Version : Test run the new USRSA Customizer tool

crawford
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Limited time access to the new (beta) version of the USRSA Customizer tool. Here’s the link:

http://www.racquettech.com/beta/racquet_customizer_test.html

There are three tools (scroll down the page if you can’t see them), each designed for a different purpose, situation, or mind set:

1. Tool #1 is the main tool. All you do is tell the tool what the specs of your current racquet are and what you want them to be, and it tells you exactly where and how much weight to put on the racquet to achieve those results (if your request is physically possible). If it is physically impossible for your current racquet to achieve your weight, balance and swingweight desires, the tool defaults to first achieving your weight and swingweight goals, and if that is not possible, your weight and balance goals. In other words, it gets you as close as physically possible to what you want.

2. Tool #2 recognizes that you may not always know all the specs of your racquet (usually swingweight) to begin with or you may be on court with a roll of lead tape and you just want to know what would happen if you put X amount at Y location so you can do some intelligent playtesting. Tool #2 tells you the change in specs that occur by adding a specific amount of weight at any location along the racquet. You can print out the results to use as an on-court guide for your experimenting.

3. Tool #3 is indeed strictly a “What would happen if…?” tool. It is trial and error, but some people love doing “what-if” scenarios. It allows you to specify up to 3 weights and 3 locations for lead tape and tells you the resulting specs. It may also be helpful if tool #1 didn’t quite qive what you were looking for, and you want to try to tweak its results to achieve a compromise solution (though this is done better with tool #1 by telling it what compromise you want, and it will figure it out for you).

Have at it for a few days, thanks for any feedback.

Soundbyte
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
This seems exactly like the tools they currently offer, only with a better interface

AJK1
11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh good, we don't need to bother with all Travelerjams rants now.

Amone
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh good, we don't need to bother with all Travelerjams rants now.

Now, Now, AJK. You've still got me around to "love," and you know Travler didn't do that by choice, what he preferred was to figure out what to put into the boxes in the first place, not what the result will be. When you get a customizer that says "I want more topspin" and gives you the places to add lead, we'll have ourselves an accord.

Steve Huff
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I think these tools are nice etc, but most of my customers who need a change in specs don't know what they want. That's why they ask me. I watch them play some and spec out the frame, then make the corrections I think are necessary. Sometimes, it's a trial and error process. Just knowing the specs of another racket isn't the end-all. 2 rackets could have the same specs (the ones we measure anyway), and not play that much alike. So, no matter how good these tools are, or at least seem to be, I don't think there's anything yet that beats a good stringer. Afterall, a "stringer" is more than someone who strings rackets.

sureshs
11-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I think these tools are nice etc, but most of my customers who need a change in specs don't know what they want. That's why they ask me. I watch them play some and spec out the frame, then make the corrections I think are necessary. Sometimes, it's a trial and error process. Just knowing the specs of another racket isn't the end-all. 2 rackets could have the same specs (the ones we measure anyway), and not play that much alike. So, no matter how good these tools are, or at least seem to be, I don't think there's anything yet that beats a good stringer. Afterall, a "stringer" is more than someone who strings rackets.

I would agree with that. I found my TFight 315 fantastic - correct weight and SW and flex for me. But it was lacking some pop towards the top and bottop of the head. I added 1 g each at 10, 12, 2, and 6, and 1g more on the buttcap to slightly balance it out, and it is playing great. But I have no idea what the SW is. How can I use this tool if I don't know the SW I want?

Also, a racquet could have some specs on paper but you can't be sure of the weight distribution. If you read the above paragraph, you will see I added 5g total, which would bring the static weight from 315 g (measured by TW before shipping) to 320 g, which is the spec for the successor to this racquet, the TFight 320. But how do I know that the extra 5 g is where I needed it, 4 g on the hoop and 1 g on the buttcap? That is why I am not yet purchasing that.

A more intuitive system (lacking a human being) would be to guide the user thru questions and based on the answers, thru other questions etc - what they call an expert system. But I still doubt if it can replace a human.