PDA

View Full Version : Adidas Ilie Nastase racket

heycal
11-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I just came into a possession of an Adidas Ilie Nastase wooden racket (that also had a metal press on it.) It is part black and red in color and on the side of the shaft is written 'ADS 040' in smallish print.

Anyone know anything about this racket? Its specs? Its history, and so on? Thanks.

Kirko
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
that racket used be called the Hallet a french player. Hallet's name was also on the Stan Smith tennis shoe also.

NoBadMojo
11-30-2006, 04:49 PM
That doesnt sound like the Hallet which is the frame Nastase used..It had Hallet written on it in script and had the 3 stripes on the throat done in some sort of laminate of kind of a bronze colour, and everything else on the frame was kind of natural..a beautifully finished frame..they were actually light and were headlight as well....maybe the Joe guy from the wood place will jump in, and have more perfect memeory of the Hallet. The Hallet didnt have Nastase's name on it that I recall.

heycal
11-30-2006, 05:03 PM
This does not have hallet written anywhere on it. Just Adidas, and "Ilie Nastase" in script.

NoBadMojo
11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
This does not have hallet written anywhere on it. Just Adidas, and "Ilie Nastase" in script.

likely a department store racquet

heycal
11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
A friend of mine picked it up for me at a thrift shop in NYC. Cost him 2 bucks...

Kirko
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
That doesnt sound like the Hallet which is the frame Nastase used..It had Hallet written on it in script and had the 3 stripes on the throat done in some sort of laminate of kind of a bronze colour, and everything else on the frame was kind of natural..a beautifully finished frame..they were actually light and were headlight as well....maybe the Joe guy from the wood place will jump in, and have more perfect memeory of the Hallet. The Hallet didnt have Nastase's name on it that I recall. same racket before Addias "rented" Nastase the racket was the Hallet;from what I heard henever even used the addisa racket he had Kramer Autos. painted to to look like it.

NoBadMojo
11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
same racket before Addias "rented" Nastase the racket was the Hallet;from what I heard henever even used the addisa racket he had Kramer Autos. painted to to look like it.

not sure i understand your post, but i dont think Adidas ever made tennis racquets, so the Hallet would have been made by someone else likely to Nastase's specs. sure didnt feel like a Kramer Auto.

coachrick
11-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Mayhaps they recall my story about Nastase's blow up at Sea Pines in his early Adidas racket days. He quite deliberately stepped on the face of his racket and pulled the handle up until the racket broke--the decals flew off first...revealing the Kramer PRO STAFF underneath. This was in the mid 70s, IIRC. The Haillet was more along the lines of a Maxply Fort, IMO. Only saw one in captivity...we picked up one each of the rep's samples...not sure who the actual manufacturer was.

JW10S
11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Nastase never played with a Kramer. He used a Dunlop Maxply. The so-called Adidas racquet he later used was just a painted Maxply.

NoBadMojo
12-01-2006, 04:51 AM
yes, the Maxply makes sense..the Hallet had the same beefy reinforcement in the shoulders and was flexier in the head just like the Fort and the two felt much alike altho the Hallet was lighter than the Fort and even less durable

coachrick
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Nastase never played with a Kramer. He used a Dunlop Maxply. The so-called Adidas racquet he later used was just a painted Maxply.

Not sure if my friend(ballboy at the tournament--either World Inv. Tennis Classic or the CBS Tennis Classic) managed to keep the busted paintjob(decaljob). Mayhaps Ilie was trying various models for Adidas to copy and this particular stick was obviously not to his liking...certainly quite different from the Fort. For the record, I actually saw Nastase play with a T2000 for a while(In Savannah, GA--exo with Jimbo and Nastase's rackets and clothing were misplaced for a couple of hours--Nastase warmed up with one of Jimmy's sticks--making strange faces all the while!!!)

Kirko
12-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Not sure if my friend(ballboy at the tournament--either World Inv. Tennis Classic or the CBS Tennis Classic) managed to keep the busted paintjob(decaljob). Mayhaps Ilie was trying various models for Adidas to copy and this particular stick was obviously not to his liking...certainly quite different from the Fort. For the record, I actually saw Nastase play with a T2000 for a while(In Savannah, GA--exo with Jimbo and Nastase's rackets and clothing were misplaced for a couple of hours--Nastase warmed up with one of Jimmy's sticks--making strange faces all the while!!!)
Nastase played an WCT event here in st. louis,mo in 1977 my brother was a ball boy and he said that he used Kramer Autos. poorly painted also to look like Adidas. I tlaked to my brother about an hour ago; he also said he was kinda a weird guy (Nastase) it was winter time and Nastase wore a mink coat.

steveq81
12-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Nobadmojo was spot-on with the "Dept. store" description of the "Ilie Nastase" (model # ads 040) wood racquet. They show up on the auction site from time to time, usually wrongly billed as the racquet Nastase played with.

I have an Adidas Haillet (model # ads 550), and it says "Made in France" inside the frame at the 6 o'clock spot. Mine is just for display, but I would like to find a second one to play with. The brown/copper cosmetic was one of my all-time favorites.

adidasman
11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
My Haillet is a trifle warped, sadly, but is still the most beautiful racquet ever made in my eyes. Nastase didn't use it - his sure looked like a Kramer in pictures (it was too thick in the throat to be a Maxply).

treblings
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
My Haillet is a trifle warped, sadly, but is still the most beautiful racquet ever made in my eyes. Nastase didn't use it - his sure looked like a Kramer in pictures (it was too thick in the throat to be a Maxply).

there is one method i know of that works for repairing warped rackets.
put it in a racket press and place it over a pot with near-boiling water.
leave it there for an hour.
keep the racket in the press and repeat if necessary.
got that advice from an old collector. tried it with a really old slazenger and it worked. no guarantee though