PDA

View Full Version : Noticed something interesting while hitting today...

fujitsu77
11-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't know if this should be in the "racquets" section, but here it goes :p

I was hitting with my POG today when I noticed something interesting. When I swung my racquet quickly, the balls were very controled and well hit (like you'd expect from a POG), but when I slowed down my swing, balls seemed to be a lot harder to control (sailed long many times).

Now, I don't mind this at all because I have a long and fast swing (so this doesn't happen to me), but I was just wondering, why does this happen?

I would expect the ball to have a higher tendency to sail long with a faster swing, not with a slower one.

**I do put a good amount of topspin on by balls (when necessary), so it can't be a lack of topspin

**also, the tension on my racquet is pretty low (i'd say around 56)

Noveson
11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Even though you say topspin isn't the problem, I think it is. When you slow your racquet down you get much less spin, because spin comes from racquet head speed. Try playing with a PD once and you will see what I mean, you swing too soft, and it goes straight for the back fence. Just brush up more severly when you slow down your swing.

bcsax123
11-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Wow 56? Thats really low. I string my POG OS at 65...

When you swing fast you probably brush up on the ball more than if you swing slow.

VGP
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
....or just mistiming and opening up the racket face.

fujitsu77
11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow 56? Thats really low. I string my POG OS at 65...

When you swing fast you probably brush up on the ball more than if you swing slow.

Wow, I guess swinging faster really does create more spin.

....or just mistiming and opening up the racket face.

As for mistiming, I was hittin easy forehands/backhands so timing wasn't really an issue. Anyways, I have solid strokes (4.5 baseline defender [though I do attack in many situations, still consider myself more of a defender]), so timing really isn't a problem for me. :D

fuzz nation
11-30-2006, 07:50 PM
When you swing out, the racquet flexes upon contact giving the ball more time on the strings before releasing and since you're swinging out through an arc, the strings have more time to spin up the ball before launching it. When you bunt the ball, not as much flex, less dwell on the strings, and less arc in the swing. I demoed a Head Flexpoint Radical Tour and this phenomenon is magnified in that racquet. The bigger you swing the better it works.

bcsax123
11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
When you swing out, the racquet flexes upon contact giving the ball more time on the strings before releasing and since you're swinging out through an arc, the strings have more time to spin up the ball before launching it. When you bunt the ball, not as much flex, less dwell on the strings, and less arc in the swing. I demoed a Head Flexpoint Radical Tour and this phenomenon is magnified in that racquet. The bigger you swing the better it works.

I believe that is the Flexpoint doing its job. On my Prestige, I can feel i can swing hard but still have decent directional control, but with my POG, when I swing hard, I usually hit out.

fujitsu77
12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Yup, fuzz, you were right. I hit again today, swinging slowly on purpose with some balls while swinging normal (fast) with others. The same thing happened, I was launching balls I "bunted", but my normaly hit balls were very controled.

Guess this really shows the difference between "stiffness" and "flex"

fuzz nation
12-01-2006, 03:07 PM
How cool is that?! Spin potential is certainly a loaded question, but the relation of flex and string tension in a frame is pretty funky. I used to think it was all about open string patterns and thin gauges, but getting the right flex and tension together is a beautiful thing indeed.