PDA

View Full Version : Christmas time to switch from PD?

Noveson
11-30-2006, 08:05 PM
As you all know Christmas is coming:D Right now I have a single PD with cortex. It is a very nice racquet, that I recommend often. Now I am getting a lot bigger, and stronger, and am starting to see the lack of control. I like the spin, the serve, and the weight is okay cept maybe a little light. My parents promised me for the upcoming season that I could get a second racquet but part of the deal was that I would have to stick with them for this upcoming season up to the next. I automatically thought another PD so I would have two. Now I am having my doubts, should I get a different less high powered racquet, and have a PD as my backup. Or should I get a second PD and just start stringing it tighter(right now I am at 60 lbs)

Is having two different racquets a bad thing? Or would it be better to have atleast one racquet that fits me?

By the way for a second racquet I was thinking maybe RDS 001 or Pure Storm if it goes that way. Feel free to reccommend others.

bcsax123
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
APD is less powerful than the PD.
But Pure Storm is the only Babolat that has decent control.

Two different racquets is not a bad thing, As long as you play with both equally. If you stick with one frame for a long time, you get used to it.

I would add some lead and string your PD at 63lbs with a lower powered string like Prince Original Synthetic.

Bottle Rocket
11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Pure Drive Roddick?

Noveson
11-30-2006, 08:28 PM
I demoed the APD while I tried the PD. I mostly didn't like the feel everything else was about right except maybe some more weight. Bcsax what happened to your PDs are horrible sig, I thought you would be the last to say stay with the PD.

Noveson
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Pure Drive Roddick?

Isn't the PDR have about the same lack of control as the PD, just with more weight? Correct me if I am wrong.

Remember more controlled racquet with same spin. Or just get another PD.

bcsax123
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM
I deleted it.
PD is not bad, its just way too stiff for my liking. I demoed a PD last week just for fun. I was so powerful I could hit with my left hand (I'm right handed)

Noveson
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
By the way I play state level tennis, I am a sophmore at a 5a school and #3 on the team. I'm lefty like to hit spin with more forehand drive it deep crosscourt then follow with short angle. I don't have much of a serve, mostly rely on spin. My backhand is more flat and I like to come to the net, although I am not very proficient at vollying yet.

bcsax123
12-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Gamma Ipex 7.0 sounds good.

fujitsu77
12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
If you HAVE to go with a babolat, get the Pure Storm.

Otherwise, you should try out the RDS 001 MP. It's a decent racquet.

Also, try out the Diablo MP, i think it might be what your looking for

Noveson
12-02-2006, 09:39 PM
If you HAVE to go with a babolat, get the Pure Storm.

Otherwise, you should try out the RDS 001 MP. It's a decent racquet.

Also, try out the Diablo MP, i think it might be what your looking for

I read the review for the RDS 001 Mp, and it says it is more for flat hitters, is it decent for topspin also? It kin'dve sounds like a large jump from a pd to a RDS 001:o

bcsax123
12-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Most Yonex are decent for topspin. The RDS is a racquet everyone seems to be liking, but I find it stiff and not as good as the RDX 500.

RDS 001 is powerful, so its not too big of a jump.

Noveson
12-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Has anyone here played/demoed both the PD, and RDS 001? Maybe could compare how much power/spin they have?

bcsax123
12-03-2006, 06:39 PM
PD is way to powerful. RDS isn't too good on serves.

Flexpoint Radical Tour?

Noveson
12-03-2006, 06:48 PM
The Radical isn't a very spin friendly racquet though right? Isn't it also over 12 ozs?

hummer23
12-03-2006, 06:53 PM
The flexpoint radical tour is a good solid frame. It has good control around for me, and i am a former pure drive plus user. I'd suggest a demo, and use poly strings for a bit less power. Overall, its certainly worth a look.

Noveson
12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
It's sounding like I am in need of demoing the Pure Storm, Rds 001, and FXP Rad Tour. So do you guys think that using the PD as a backup wouldn't be too hard of a thing?

bcsax123
12-03-2006, 07:00 PM
The Radical isn't a very spin friendly racquet though right? Isn't it also over 12 ozs?

The normal radical isn't very spinny. The Tour version is.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HRTR.html

It's 16x19 which is very spinny compared with other Head racquets (FXP Prestige for example)

It's 11.3 oz unstrung. (12oz strung)

The SW is also the same as the PD w/ cortex (324 vs 325) so SW is not a problem.

I was seriously thinking about it before the choice of my FXP Prestige, but I had a POG OS when i need massive spin. Prestige is better all around than the Radical Tour.

Noveson
12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks a lot for your help sax. Hopefully I can demo these sometime soon.

JRstriker12
12-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I am thinking the same thing - switching from my Wilson Blitz to a PD for Christmas.

I am testing the PD Roddick right now. For any PD users, which do yout think is better - going for the normal PD and lead it up or go with the PD-Roddick?

I've tested the PD-plus and I just got the Roddick Demo last night and took it out to hit.

I didn't notice the increase in weight too much, but I can tell I need to work on my timing with the new racket. Plenty of Pop, maybe a bit too much. I'd string it alot tighter than the demo I used, which was pretty loose and the strings moved around alot.

Think it would be better to string it with Poly or with a hybrid.

(PD haters - save a few keystrokes and don't reply).

haerdalis
12-14-2006, 08:08 AM
If you like the PD and are getting stronger than the PDR is a perfect fit I believe. That cortex system does something too because it feels very comfortable and I dont feel anything in my elbow which is quite sensitive.
It is hard to lead up a PD to feel like the PDR. Personally I like the PDR more than any leaded PD I have tried but thats probably personal taste.
So give the new PDR a demo. Control is not a problem with these racquets as long as you take a full swing IMO.

JRstriker12
12-14-2006, 09:05 AM
If you like the PD and are getting stronger than the PDR is a perfect fit I believe. That cortex system does something too because it feels very comfortable and I dont feel anything in my elbow which is quite sensitive.
It is hard to lead up a PD to feel like the PDR. Personally I like the PDR more than any leaded PD I have tried but thats probably personal taste.
So give the new PDR a demo. Control is not a problem with these racquets as long as you take a full swing IMO.

Thanks for the info haerdalis.