PDA

View Full Version : Feelings or Performance?

jace112
11-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Last night I hadn't my regular sticks to play with (Völkl DNX9) so I had to use the old school weapons.

I began playing with the PS85, and I had to forget heavy topspin and go ASAP to the net. Serves were heavy and precise, incredible feedback overall. First set was ok, I was thinking: "Cooool, Edberg's back in the building :p"

But when pushed to my limits, I really became tricky to keep good pace from the baseline. The guy quickly understood that something was unusual, and he hit some very loopy shots with tons of spin. Hard for me to counter attack!

For the #2 set, I borrowed my friend's Pure Drive (polyplasma @ 24/26 kg). I knew this racquet and I have to admit, it was not my cup of tea at all. My serves suffered (completely out of timing, no control and even more surprising no pace at all).

But, when I managed not to hit the ball as hard as I'm used to, the stiff and unconfortable frame became a fantastic tool for winning some incredibles rallies (at my level, let's say 4.5). I had to change my game, but everything was easier to dominate on the court.

Of course I missed a lot of feedback, I almost killed my friend twice with some forehands which didn't hit the clay before his face :-D

But I have to admit, that this kind of tweener can somehow improve (or change) my game. I can't say that I didn't enjoy playing with the Babolat, it was really different. And I'm not used to these light frames either.

But if I had to play some tournaments (and not only recreational tennis, for fun), I'd definitely consider trying for a long time some of the PD line.

snoflewis
11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
personally, i can't use a racket if i don't like how it feels...not matter how well i play with it.

jace112
11-30-2006, 10:16 PM
personally, i can't use a racket if i don't like how it feels...not matter how well i play with it.
That's exactly what I thought... before :confused:

Sounds like feedback and efficiency are really hard to mix for common people (I'm sure the pros manage to get both very easily)

snoflewis
11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
That's exactly what I thought... before :confused:

Sounds like feedback and efficiency are really hard to mix for common people (I'm sure the pros manage to get both very easily)

lol..that's where experimentation with rackets comes in handy....i've tried out and gone through so many rackets the past year to year and a half...it's disgusting. im just glad i found the redondos :)

jace112
11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Maybe the RDX300 (or RD003) could be a PD with more feelings ;-)

anirut
11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd take a properly "balanced" racket. However, I'd prioritize performance.