PDA

View Full Version : what about MF300's volleying?

kimi
12-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Many people say to me MF300 is a good racket.Power and control are both fantastic. I'm a littles interested in it.But some one say it's volleying isn't outstanding.Really?Is it the cause that it's head isn't much lighter?I like volleying.If it's true.How can I change the blance to 7-9 pts ligther to improve the volleying.

Redflea
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM
It's relatively evenly balanced...4pts head light, I think, but w/the light weight it is very maneuverable, and volleys excellently for me. I changed to the MF300 in part because I was playing more doubles, and have enjoyed it very much.

I have two or three grams of lead in the handle of mine, more because the additional weight feels "right" to me more than anything else, as I came to it from a 12.1 oz RDX Mid. You can do the same (add lead under the butt cap or on the handle/throat if you want to, but I'd try it stock first...it works very well unmodified.

kimi
12-01-2006, 09:21 AM
If I only change grip to leather.Is the effect obvious?

jonolau
12-01-2006, 03:56 PM
kimi, first and foremost, technique is most important in volleying. If technique isn't present, any racquet will feel unstable.

So far I'm using it stock and have no problems with stability at the net. Others may like it to be slightly more headlight to offer more maneuverability at the net, thus the addition of weight in the handle.

To reduce torque on volleys, addition of lead at 3 & 9 o'clock positions will help with that. But to prevent it from being too head heavy, adding some weight to the handle via the removable butt cap trap door will help.

Overall, having a racquet with a higher static mass will increase stability on volleys, but will also increase fatigue slightly because of the added weight.