PDA

View Full Version : Old rackets - are they worth anything?

PimpMyGame
12-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Can anyone tell me if there's a buoyant second-hand market for "classic" frames? I've read some great threads recently about collecting old rackets and I have two original 200Gs sitting around doing nothing. Although I'm not considering selling either a friend of mine is keen for me to offload one to him, because he likes it so much.

Both are in vgc, one has the original leather grip and strings even - I know this won't help its playability but it's an indication of its condition. Do these things have a market value, or is it a case of finding someone who really wants these rackets and is willing to pay for them?

Ripper
12-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Can anyone tell me if there's a buoyant second-hand market for "classic" frames?

It depends. If it's a model with a cult following and if it's a model that's difficult to find, yes.

AndrewD
12-01-2006, 07:10 AM
If it's a 200G then cut out the strings, lay the racquet head flat on a table top and you'll soon see whether or not it's worth anything. The Max was notorious for warping and having left the original strings in for so long you've bumped up the odds that might happen.

Otherwise, if the bloke is a friend and wants the racquet to play with or add to a collection and you aren't using it, why not sell or give it to someone who might have use for it?

VGP
12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
For the Max 200g on the auction site, used ones go for $40-$80. Upper range if you have the cover.

Steve Huff
12-01-2006, 08:59 PM
There are some rackets that are worth money, but not many. Most of the ones with value were produced in low numbers. I doubt an old 200g would get much on the open market. A 200g with McEnroe's signature on it would though.

Duzza
12-01-2006, 10:51 PM
I looked on some site, and Blue and Yellow Donnay Pro Ones(i think) were the same price as St Vincent Prostaffs...funny, no one ever talks about them.

hadoken
12-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Some of the old high-end frames would command good money if they were in mint or near mint condition but those are hard to find and the used ones go for varied money depending on luck.

grimmbomb21
12-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I was outbid on the auction site for a brown Prestige Pro that had never been used or even strung. It went for 305.00.