PDA

View Full Version : Urgentt racket help. very very very urgent

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 07:25 AM
ahh i need much help....

ok.. well im 15, i use a Liquidmetal Radical MP strung with some prince tournament poly string.. with a normal yonex dampener.

the thing is.. there is hardly any sweet spot on this piece of crap, when im at the net i get creamed to the max... cause the racket frame tends to twist ALOT... except for when i hit the middle ofcourse. and it feels like im hitting with a piece of wood when i hit the top of the string bed, the racket head just isnt stable even when im just rallying. iv tried lowering the string tension to increase the sweetspot but its not working :( tension is about 48... because if i go any higher i cant get much power...

my style
i hold my grip like how federer holds his... (not saying that im copying just that i dont know how to desbribe it) (i love this grip btw, i can do flat or topspin :) ) i use double backhand... flat + topspin as well
im mainly a baseliner, but im moderate at the net.

so. whats the remedy? if its lead tape i may need further advice because im not sure where to put it.

if its a new racket... please suggest any that would suit me because im thinking of getting one anyway :P (just for extra info, on what im looking for...... mainly stability then power then control ...

sorry if this isnt well written, i have a tournament to go to :P and im only 15..... "gosh"

all help, suggestions, comments, insults, compliments are welcome. mainly suggestions ... and help.

Jeremy Tan :)

Tennis Man
12-01-2006, 07:40 AM
IMHO, you need a lot of lead at 3 & 9, some softer string and maybe even some coaching :) to make the difference at the net.

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 08:05 AM
how much lead tape are we speaking.... and if i do.... wont it be really unbalanced.....

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 08:06 AM
any racket suggestions perhaps?

vinnier6
12-01-2006, 08:17 AM

its not the racquet...its your string...poly is mainly for a hard hitting baseliner...you need to try out a high end multi like nxt or sensation...i would use something like that strung at like 60lbs to start with and you will be amazed and how much a string like that will increase you feel and sweet spot...some lead will help too, but i would only change one thing at a time....

Go Tennis
12-01-2006, 09:05 AM
vinnier6 is right, because the LM Radical MP is a light racket, but also is very stable. You don't have to increase the sweet spot, you need to hit INSIDE the sweet spot with the correct grip size for you - it's very important. So, practice and practice A LOT more. NO PAIN, NO GAIN, as you say in America.

Bottle Rocket
12-01-2006, 11:51 AM
WAY TOO MUCH credit is being given to your equipment for your issues.

You said you have a tournament... Are you playing for your school? Do you have a coach to talk to? What string did you use before? What level are you playing?

I've seen plenty of people volley and play just find with the Radical... It is one of the most popular rackets of the last few years.

Focus on your technique, don't convince yourself it is the racket. Imagine hitting a clean firm volley everytime you're at the net, picture yourself hitting the volley well. Try not to think about your racket when you're playing, it is most likely not the cause, and getting mad at it won't help anything.

The sweet spot is literally a spot.. In fact, it is a point. Forgiveness in a racket is another issue, I would agree the Radical is not the most forgiving racket out there. Have you tried anything else?

I also agree with your assesment of it feeling like wood when you hit in the top of the hoop. HEAD rackets are known for being dead up there. Unfortunately, this is another reason to focus on your technique.

If you're convinced it is the racket, switch to something else. Don't expect a miracle.

KFwinds
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, you gotta dump the poly string and put a thin gauge multifilament in this racquet. I'm only a 3.5 level player, but I play with the LM Rad MP and think that it's an outstanding racquet. Awesome at the net. If you are having trouble volleying with this, work on your technique with a good pro/coach. BTW, my string right now is Prince Sweet Perfection 17g @ 57lbs. Plenty of power, feel, and comfort.

bcsax123
12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Get a coach fast. tension @ 48lbs and no power means your technique is way off. the LM Rad MP is a powerful and very stable racquet, so power or stabilty shouldn't be a problem.

String with a powerful multifilament, and thats should help. You can try the Prince O3 Series...

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 01:43 PM
WAY TOO MUCH credit is being given to your equipment for your issues.

You said you have a tournament... Are you playing for your school? Do you have a coach to talk to? What string did you use before? What level are you playing?

I've seen plenty of people volley and play just find with the Radical... It is one of the most popular rackets of the last few years.

Focus on your technique, don't convince yourself it is the racket. Imagine hitting a clean firm volley everytime you're at the net, picture yourself hitting the volley well. Try not to think about your racket when you're playing, it is most likely not the cause, and getting mad at it won't help anything.

i was playing an under 16 state tourney which would increase my ranking. i do have a coach hes good at technical side of tennis, technique, strategy wise..etc but not towards strings , rackets side..etc. The reason im using Prince tournament poly string is because it was dead cheap though im restringing it today with string apparantly close to natural gut... it starts with Z..... :confused: so i hope that will dramatically improve it... considering i only paid 6 buks for the prince string.. including stringing. compared to a much higher 25 buks for this string.

i agree that i should focus on technique, and not convince myself that its the racket...iv been taught that a lot in many squads..i do always say that to myself when in a match.. i just hate the way the racket frame twists even on a basic forehand or backhand or slice... its frustrating... the twisting from low sweetspot... GAHHH i feel like blending a frog.

ah well thanks for your advice

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Get a coach fast. tension @ 48lbs and no power means your technique is way off. the LM Rad MP is a powerful and very stable racquet, so power or stabilty shouldn't be a problem.

String with a powerful multifilament, and thats should help. You can try the Prince O3 Series...

haha my tension is 48 because partially because im quite.... weak. i have to admit.. i mainly rely on the racket for power.. by the way it enables alot of power i think i made a mistake :P i was kinda in a rush because i had a match like 5 min before writing that. but yes.. i offers plenty of power @47 . if i did it any higher with that poly string.. to me... wouldnt be playable at all...

thanks a lot though

mileslong
12-01-2006, 02:00 PM
you need to firm up that wrist when volleying at the net...

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
i definately agree.. i have a pretty boney/thin wrist... is there any good excerises to do?

Nextman916
12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
You seem like you need ALOT of help in all aspects of tennis.

federermcenroeagassi
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
this is idiot advice, do not listen, it sounds like u need a easier to use, less demanding racket. look for a good oversize racquet so that it is not demanding and it allows u to learn the basics of the game, which it sounds like u still need to do.

see oversize:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=783

or tweener:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=785

fuzz nation
12-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Ok, first thing... ease up on the frogs, mah bruthuh.

I own--but no longer use--the LM Rad mp and cheered mine up with some lead like this: one piece of tape on each grey zone and cut it the length of that zone; that sort of disguises it. One at ten and four o'clock, flip the frame over, and do ten and four o'clock again so that you get a piece at all four spots. I put the inner edge right along the grommets and press it in place with the plastic handle end of some pliers, etc. Next, I put a piece down the full length of the grip along both narrow edges, one or two laps around the buttcap, and then an overgrip over the whole thing. For me, this was a significant improvement.

Just the thought of poly in that racquet is making me wince. Even an OK syn gut in 16 or 17 ga will do well--I'd say no more than 60 lbs, but try it down at 55 lbs, too.

Not saying you need a different racquet because that one sounds quite good for you, but an example of a frame that may be better for volleys, etc. is the n6.1 95. I'd change your strings first and then play around with the lead, since you can always take it right back off.

Ezekiel
12-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok, first thing... ease up on the frogs, mah bruthuh.

I own--but no longer use--the LM Rad mp and cheered mine up with some lead like this: one piece of tape on each grey zone and cut it the length of that zone; that sort of disguises it. One at ten and four o'clock, flip the frame over, and do ten and four o'clock again so that you get a piece at all four spots. I put the inner edge right along the grommets and press it in place with the plastic handle end of some pliers, etc. Next, I put a piece down the full length of the grip along both narrow edges, one or two laps around the buttcap, and then an overgrip over the whole thing. For me, this was a significant improvement.

Just the thought of poly in that racquet is making me wince. Even an OK syn gut in 16 or 17 ga will do well--I'd say no more than 60 lbs, but try it down at 55 lbs, too.

Not saying you need a different racquet because that one sounds quite good for you, but an example of a frame that may be better for volleys, etc. is the n6.1 95. I'd change your strings first and then play around with the lead, since you can always take it right back off.

wow cheers... may i know the overall weight of it?

fuzz nation
12-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh, umm... Wow, I've never weighed them! I had a little postage scale that was unfortunately made in France and it farted out pretty quickly. Gift to self coming right up--I'll let you know if I, no, I'll let you know when I weigh them now that I'm curious, too. Just did the lead on a LM Prestige mid, but only on the handle to counter all the beef in the head and it helped again.

That LM Radical is fun to hit, but my doubles racquet is almost 13 oz with enough mass in the head to not be pushed around by hard hit balls at net. My lasting impression on the Radical is that it doesn't have quite enough weight in the head--balance aside--to win a large majority of these collisions. I'm just talking physics, not the whole subjective experience. Hard to believe that a little weight added to the head and handle of that platform even hurt its mobility, so hopefully it can give you a boost.

Ezekiel
12-03-2006, 05:08 AM
i have to say. im probably the happiest person now.... i just restrung the Radical with some kind string which has this material called "Zyex" .. and wow, i felt such a biiiiiiiig change.... playing with it now is ... almost... orgasmic... LITERALLY :) today i just had a hit up with a mate, and i totally OWNED him (not exagerating) , i OWNED the court as well. hahaha. thanks guys.

wksoh
12-07-2006, 08:09 AM

Hmm how about 100 sq in racket like Pure Drive or LM Instinct or Aero Pro Drive.

I have 1 PD, 1 APD, 3 Instincts and 1 LM Rad.
The LM Rad isn't exactly 98,... it's equivalent to Wilson's 95 sq in. I find 100 sq. in. helps a lot at the net if you're having trouble.

DRtenniS1112
12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
i was playing an under 16 state tourney which would increase my ranking. i do have a coach hes good at technical side of tennis, technique, strategy wise..etc but not towards strings , rackets side..etc. The reason im using Prince tournament poly string is because it was dead cheap though im restringing it today with string apparantly close to natural gut... it starts with Z..... :confused: so i hope that will dramatically improve it... considering i only paid 6 buks for the prince string.. including stringing. compared to a much higher 25 buks for this string.

i agree that i should focus on technique, and not convince myself that its the racket...iv been taught that a lot in many squads..i do always say that to myself when in a match.. i just hate the way the racket frame twists even on a basic forehand or backhand or slice... its frustrating... the twisting from low sweetspot... GAHHH i feel like blending a frog.

ah well thanks for your advice

Sounds like you got Zyex. It really isn't close to natural gut but Klippermate says it is. That will be better than what you have. I think the stiff string might be a huge problem but as far as the volleys i'd say work on hitting that sweetspot.

kalic
12-08-2006, 02:29 AM
LM Radical MP is very demading racquet. Sell it and take something with 100" head size and open string patern. And try softer string