PDA

View Full Version : Donnay wood racquet?

steveq81
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Looking for some help here from some of you other 40-ish players who would have played with wood racquets back circa 1980 and remember something about the Donnay line.

I have an Allwood and a Fiberwood in my collection, and there is another racquet from that line that had the same "life savers" style paint job with shades of green. Anyone here remember what it was called? For some reason, I was thinking it was called the Glasswood, but I did a Google search for that name and came up empty. I'd like to find this racquet, so if you would be interested selling one or making a trade I'd be interested.

Also, if memory serves, wasn't there a racquet in this same series with the Allwood-style cosmetic with shades of blue? I'm thinking I saw one with a paint job like a Borg Pro in shades of blue on **** a while back, but does anyone remember if there was one with a blue paint job that was from the Allwood series?

vsbabolat
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Concerning the racquets similar to the Borg Pro. There was the Flex Pro that had the the shades of blue. The Fiber Pro had shades of green in it. Last there was the Graphite Pro that had shades of white.
With the Allwood series I only knew of the Allwood, the Ladywood which was rainbow purple, Allwood Superlight just the same as a regular Allwood except the hoop of the frame was thinner and more flexible and lighter, and the Fiberwood that was kind of blueish. I am only in my 30's that is why I have a hard time remembering all of the Allwood line.

Kirko
12-01-2006, 08:07 PM
there also was a Donnay that had "slots" cut into the sides of the racket near the grip. Vijay Armrittraj endorsed it.

Steve Huff
12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
woodtennis.com has several in that lineup with pictures. They're really nice looking

vsbabolat
12-02-2006, 06:11 AM
there also was a Donnay that had "slots" cut into the sides of the racket near the grip. Vijay Armrittraj endorsed it.

That was the Flex Pro.

ChicagoJack
12-02-2006, 09:13 AM
SteveQ81 - Yes, I have the exact frame you are inquiring into. As VS Babolat has pointed out, It is indeed called the Flex Pro.

1. It is all painted all black and there are shades of blue squares at the top and bottom of the head that range from light blue to dark blue.

2. It says "Flex Pro" right at the throat, and "Glass/Wood Composite" at 3 & 9

3. It has one slot groove right above the grip.

4. It has black strings, and can you dig it... an 18 x 21 string pattern, in a 66 inch head. This thing is all string.

5. These came in ranges from very stiff to very flexy, the one I have is very flexy, but I recall some of them were pretty solid feeling for wood.

-Jack

steveq81
12-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info, folks. Good stuff.

So... anyone remember the Allwood-style paint job with the shades of green, or is my imagination working overtime? Rabbit?