PDA

View Full Version : What racquet is this guy selling (N Six One..maybe?)

OrangeOne
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok - a local coach (I'd never met him before today, but he is a regular coach at my club) is selling a few almost-new demo racquets (claims only a few hours use each).

Two are listed as a "Federer racquet - N Six One". I haven't seen it, and he's bringing them next week for me to have a hit with, but he described it as "last year's model, with some yellow on it instead of white". He doesn't seem to be much of a racquet-geek, so he may be confused. No specs for headsize or string pattern were listed.

Questions:
1. Has the paint job on the nSixOne changed year-to-year?
2. There's yellow at the top of the current nSixOne. Is there another Wilson frame (somewhat similar) with more yellow on the frame he may be confusing it with?
3. Do I understand correctly that there are THREE retail nSixOne variants as per below (excluding the japanese - "real Fed" versions)?

nSixOne, 90 sq inch, 16*19
nSixOne, 95 sq inch, 16*18
nSixOne, 95 sq inch, 18*20 NB1: I know I will not be buying the actual Federer racquet, I've read many of those threads :)

NB2: I'm only even considering them because they are *so* cheap. When I say so cheap, let's say US$100 for what should be 9.9/10 frames including a free fresh restring with a poly. Not sure if he knows I'll be wanting SuperSense or RedCode, but that discussion is for next week! ;). Anyways - at that price, if I don't like them after a month I know I can make most of my money back, even counting the k-factor. BUT, I want to be sure I know what they are!

Thanks in advance....

jdeloach
12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe he is talking about the Tour 90? I have seen them described on the big auction site as Federer racquets. They have a lot of yellow on them.

OrangeOne
12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Maybe he is talking about the Tour 90? I have seen them described on the big auction site as Federer racquets. They have a lot of yellow on them.

Sorry - I don't know the Wilson range well - was that a last year's model? I can't see it on TW, or do you mean the nTour?

If only wilson named their racquets just a *little* less confusingly!

jdeloach
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry - I don't know the Wilson range well - was that a last year's model? I can't see it on TW, or do you mean the nTour?

If only wilson named their racquets just a *little* less confusingly!

No....the Wilson ProStaff Tour 90 is discontinued, but remains very popular. Below is a thread with a picture of one. Look at the picture Robbie_1988 posted.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103429&page=6 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103429&page=6)

OrangeOne
12-01-2006, 06:27 PM
No....the Wilson ProStaff Tour 90 is discontinued, but remains very popular. Below is a thread with a picture of one. Look at the picture Robbie_1988 posted.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103429&page=6 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=103429&page=6)

Ahh - I see, could very well be what I'll be seeing next Saturday. I'll have a search around and read a bit on that one.

(And I'd still be less tempted to go it I think, as resale value would be a key thing I'd be looking for with the frame given limited testing time etc etc, and the nSixOnes would have the highest resale value should I want to ditch the frames.

I'd also be a bit dirty at the dude for advertising it very incorrectly - in no way should that name be confused with the nSixOne! ;))

jdeloach
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Ahh - I see, could very well be what I'll be seeing next Saturday. I'll have a search around and read a bit on that one.

(And I'd still be less tempted to go it I think, as resale value would be a key thing I'd be looking for with the frame given limited testing time etc etc, and the nSixOnes would have the highest resale value should I want to ditch the frames.

I'd also be a bit dirty at the dude for advertising it very incorrectly - in no way should that name be confused with the nSixOne! ;))

Believe it or not, the Tour 90 is a very "in demand" racquet. Many people like it much better than the nSix-one. It would bring more money on these boards for sure.

OrangeOne
12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Believe it or not, the Tour 90 is a very "in demand" racquet. Many people like it much better than the nSix-one. It would bring more money on these boards for sure.

Excellent to know! Thanks for responding to that, obviously given my purchase-goals it helps to know such things.

I'll go have a look at the for sale section now. Again - thanks so much for the replies....

Duzza
12-01-2006, 11:17 PM
LMAO at OrangeOne's inferior knowledge of Wilson Tennis racquets :D

The ball was in
12-01-2006, 11:19 PM
By the sounds of things Orangeone, the racquets that you are describing are the nsixones 95, the 90 version has not changed or added a yellow colour scheme. Hope that helps

aznspongehead
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Might also be this one..
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=NPS95D
It's not what fed's using but it looks like it and it has yellow on it.

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Might also be this one..

Now that, that is the answer! My faith in TW boards to solve any racquet-related issue is confirmed. A 'Federer-like' racquet, with additional yellow, at a bargain-price, and no cover (the coach did mention that too). That, aznspongehead, is *exactly* the racquet the coach described! (And the price matches as well, $95 / $100 US).

Thank you sooo much, I now know that I probably don't want it!

By the sounds of things Orangeone, the racquets that you are describing are the nsixones 95, the 90 version has not changed or added a yellow colour scheme. Hope that helps

And thanks for confirming the design hasn't changed and answering one of the questions. The yellow seems just the demo-indicator-addition.

LMAO at OrangeOne's inferior knowledge of Wilson Tennis racquets :D

:p. Hey - I know things I need to know! ;) Seriously though, I knew barely anything about racquets when I joined these board 6mths ago. The last time I bought racquets I did demo, but that was the extent of it, and that was a few years ago too now. I knew I liked low-powered MP frames, and usually Yonxes, that was that!

Thesedays I know a fair bit about the Yonex range (as I'm an MP-Tour user, and one of my mates uses a RDS). I know a little babo, as two of my friends use those. I know a fair bit about the Vantage range, because I came very very close to wanting one. Realistically, apart from things you can't help learning on these boards (real fed racquet, PS85 stuff, etc etc), that's about it.

When I next demo, I'll learn a bit more, but in reality, I have no need to learn all about the Wilson range, I just don't! (Well, until now, when I've quickly learnt more than I ever wanted to know).

This happy selective-knowledge *especially* applies to older frames, as I'm definitely not an "older is better" sorta dude. I can't ever see myself searching for "3 perfectly matched st henri the count of yorkshire 1992 hand painted PS85s made on a tuesday"! (and yes, Duzza, I know you've got a PS85 :)).

Duzza
12-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Now that, that is the answer! My faith in TW boards to solve any racquet-related issue is confirmed. A 'Federer-like' racquet, with additional yellow, at a bargain-price, and no cover (the coach did mention that too). That, aznspongehead, is *exactly* the racquet the coach described! (And the price matches as well, $95 / $100 US).

Thank you sooo much, I now know that I probably don't want it!

And thanks for confirming the design hasn't changed and answering one of the questions. The yellow seems just the demo-indicator-addition.

:p. Hey - I know things I need to know! ;) Seriously though, I knew barely anything about racquets when I joined these board 6mths ago. The last time I bought racquets I did demo, but that was the extent of it, and that was a few years ago too now. I knew I liked low-powered MP frames, and usually Yonxes, that was that!

Thesedays I know a fair bit about the Yonex range (as I'm an MP-Tour user, and one of my mates uses a RDS). I know a little babo, as two of my friends use those. I know a fair bit about the Vantage range, because I came very very close to wanting one. Realistically, apart from things you can't help learning on these boards (real fed racquet, PS85 stuff, etc etc), that's about it.

When I next demo, I'll learn a bit more, but in reality, I have no need to learn all about the Wilson range, I just don't! (Well, until now, when I've quickly learnt more than I ever wanted to know).

This happy selective-knowledge *especially* applies to older frames, as I'm definitely not an "older is better" sorta dude. I can't ever see myself searching for "3 perfectly matched st henri the count of yorkshire 1992 hand painted PS85s made on a tuesday"! (and yes, Duzza, I know you've got a PS85 :)).
Same here actually. When I joined I played tennis of course, but I've learnt so much about racquets and all the specs like Swingweight, balance and stiffness. I've learnt more here than at school! :D

bcsax123
12-02-2006, 08:59 AM

The yellow throated racquet is not the Nsix-one... It's the NPS.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Might also be this one..

You beat me to it. I was also going to say that it sounds like the nPS 95 since it has the yellow inside of the throat instead of white. Otherwise it looks exactly like the nSix-One 95.