PDA

View Full Version : im 19 what do i play

patrick922
12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
i just turned 19 so that means that iam not eligible to play in junior tournaments anymore. so do i play adult tournaments instead? i dont have and ntpr ranking yet either

CrocodileRock
12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi Pat,

Yes, you must play adult tennis now. If you have a local pro, he could help you decide your ntrp level, or another adult could play you so you could get an idea of where you stand. Alternatively, you could play the open division, but I don't recommend that unless you had an outstanding junior career.

Don't just go by the ntrp descriptions, though. Every junior I've ever known has overrated himself by looking only at those. The best way to determine your own rating is to play a benchmark player, or better yet, more than one, at different levels.

Good luck.

patrick922
12-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Pat,

Yes, you must play adult tennis now. If you have a local pro, he could help you decide your ntrp level, or another adult could play you so you could get an idea of where you stand. Alternatively, you could play the open division, but I don't recommend that unless you had an outstanding junior career.

Don't just go by the ntrp descriptions, though. Every junior I've ever known has overrated himself by looking only at those. The best way to determine your own rating is to play a benchmark player, or better yet, more than one, at different levels.

Good luck.

i do play with a couple 4.0 rated players and beat them everytime. usually the score is 6-3 or 6-4, but at times they take sets away from me.

goober
12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
i do play with a couple 4.0 rated players and beat them everytime. usually the score is 6-3 or 6-4, but at times they take sets away from me.

Self rate at 3.5. Your team captain will love you.

If you are only going to play tourneys, start out at 4.0 and see how you do. If you lose your first round and your consolation match I would move down. If you win the tourney move up to 4.5 for the next one. Anything in between you can stay at 4.0 for a couple more tourneys and then make a decision where you belong.

SoBad
12-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Patrick you should play opens, the draws are not that tough around here, at least the tournaments without prize money. It's tough to win a title, but at least you get to play some good matches, get to watch some good matches, and get to meet some good players.

BabolatFan
12-02-2006, 07:31 PM
i just turned 19 so that means that iam not eligible to play in junior tournaments anymore. so do i play adult tournaments instead? i dont have and ntpr ranking yet either

Patrick, try 5.5 and get a number of matches under your belt. Then jump to opens.

goober
12-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Patrick, try 5.5 and get a number of matches under your belt. Then jump to opens.

If he is only beating 4.0 players 6-4, 6-3 and loses sets to them occasionally he should not be playing opens or 5.5. A 5.0 level player should beat a 4.0 player 6-0 6-0 pretty much almost all the time. He sounds like a strong 4.0/weak 4.5.

SoBad
12-02-2006, 07:41 PM
If he is only beating 4.0 players 6-4, 6-3 and loses sets to them occasionally he should not be playing opens or 5.5. A 5.0 level player should beat a 4.0 player 6-0 6-0 pretty much almost all the time. He sounds like a strong 4.0/weak 4.5.

There are no 5.0 or 5.5 tournaments in his area and most 4.5's play opens, as do some 4.0's. NoVa Ain't SoCal Pal:p

Cheerleader
12-02-2006, 09:02 PM
4.0 adults can be pretty simple to beat if you have been winning at high level junior tournaments. I play in 16's and when I practice against a 4.0 it's like I try not to beat them too bad. I'd suggest at least 4.5 or Open as a place to start.