PDA

View Full Version : Dumb racquet question

spectraflamed
12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
OK I know this has nothing to do with how a racquet plays but I get frustrated when I spend decent money on a racquet and the paint starts to flake/chip off almost as soon as I take it out of my racquet bag. I know certain brands are more known for cheap paint but still it seems all brands suffer from this to a degree. For paint chipping I use clear nail polish over the chips to keep them from "growing". Does anyone have ideas for putting on the racquet head so they do not bang together in the bag? I know racquets come with racquet covers but those sure take up a lot of space in a bag. I have been using kid sized t-shirts from the salvation army to keep them form banging together but I do get so me interesting looks. Anyone have a better idea? Again I know this has absolutely nothing to do with how a racquet plays but man you would think these racquet companies would use decent paint for what they charge for racquets.

jonolau
12-01-2006, 09:37 PM
OK I know this has nothing to do with how a racquet plays but I get frustrated when I spend decent money on a racquet and the paint starts to flake/chip off almost as soon as I take it out of my racquet bag. I know certain brands are more known for cheap paint but still it seems all brands suffer from this to a degree. For paint chipping I use clear nail polish over the chips to keep them from "growing". Does anyone have ideas for putting on the racquet head so they do not bang together in the bag? I know racquets come with racquet covers but those sure take up a lot of space in a bag. I have been using kid sized t-shirts from the salvation army to keep them form banging together but I do get so me interesting looks. Anyone have a better idea? Again I know this has absolutely nothing to do with how a racquet plays but man you would think these racquet companies would use decent paint for what they charge for racquets.
I know what you're talking about. But then and again, have a slightly bashed up looking racquet is a sign that they're well-used and have been put through the pace ... ;)

One solution is to buy a tennis bag that has padded seperators for racquets such as this Nike bag which I bought 6 years ago, but I don't think they have it anymore. However, I heard that Adidas may still have something like this:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/NikeBag.jpg

Swinging Simian
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I used to use blocks of styrofoam or bubble wrap from stuff I bought, just enough to keep the heads and throats from touching.

kurniadis
12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have ideas for putting on the racquet head so they do not bang together in the bag? I know racquets come with racquet covers but those sure take up a lot of space in a bag. I have been using kid sized t-shirts from the salvation army to keep them form banging together but I do get so me interesting looks. Anyone have a better idea? .

Well, IDK how many rackets you own. But I only got 4. Im using HEAD bag that can hold 6 rackets. And when I store my rackets, I store 'em with their original cover. It still leaves me room for some other stuffs, like water bottle, phone, keys, shirts, towels. Im sure many ppl here own the 9 rackets bag. Other than that, the idea by MugShot was nice too :) Hope this helps.

coachrick
12-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Careful if the factory covers have zippers--the pressure from other things in the bag can cause the zipper to dig into the finish.

Steve Huff
12-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I've seen some guys place their towel over the head so that it's between the rackets.

Duzza
12-02-2006, 09:49 PM
If I've got 3 racquets, I use 1 racquet cover, put one racquet in that and the other 2 on opposite sides. If you have 5, use 2 covers.

AirTechChallenge
12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Just go get a pack of those clear platic bags stringers use to store newly strung racket. That's what I use. Looks professional and it's cheap to buy. They come in 50 bag packages. I think they were ~ $0.50 each.

spectraflamed
12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Just go get a pack of those clear platic bags stringers use to store newly strung racket. That's what I use. Looks professional and it's cheap to buy. They come in 50 bag packages. I think they were ~ $0.50 each.

Cool now anohter dumb question where can I find such baggies?

OrangeOne
12-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Time to start thinking for yourself here a bit! They're used by stringers, perhaps most stringers would know? (and equally, would probably be willing to sell you a dozen?)

xtremerunnerars
12-03-2006, 01:32 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=Plastic+Racquet+Bags&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

First shopping result