PDA

View Full Version : Well, im switching my RDS MP for the M-speed 98...

Nextman916
12-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I never thought i would say this so soon....I was originally going to buy 2 more of my RDS 001 MP but decided to demo just before i bit the bullet. My local store charges $25 for a 1 month rental and once you finally decide and buy a racquet the charge comes out of the price of the racquet, so you dont lose anything. Ive basically tried/retried every frame on the market just to verify that i was indeed sticking to my RDS, but the Fischer has changed my mind, i still have a bit to decide but its an almost certain decision.

Groundstroke wise the Fischer just felt more refined in every manner, spin was a little overwhelming with the RDS in some cases, where as the Fischer still gets good spin but not as much, with the Fischer I was getting lower net clearance so i was hitting with a bit more pace and depth. The Fischer did wonders for my 1HBH, it felt really natural with the ball pocketing compared to the crispness of the Yonex. The added weight made it feel alot more solid and stable from the start, on the RDS i was altering it with lead tape which took some of the original feel of the racquet. Volleys/half volleys really benefited because of this, the RDS was great for put aways but the M-speed was even greater for touch. I was placing great on my mini tennis drill i did the other day. I cant comment as much for slices because my RDS is strung with 17g poly and the Fischer demo is strung with a 16g multifilament, personally find any frame strung with a fine poly to slice effectively, i never slice alot with my BH anyways. In the serving department the RDS deffinately had more pop, i want to clear up that the M-speed is NOT a weak serving racquet as in terms of power, its higher than average for most player frames. They both give a very rewarding loud THWACK!! when struck, these two racquets give the loudest boom out of any other racquets ive tried. It actually misleads you to think your serve is generating more pace than what it is, but its just something to do with these two frames contruction. I guess its also a little intimidating to your opponents when they hear such a boom. I felt my flat serves were a little more consistent and controllable, but i recognized that my kick/slice serves lacked alot. Overall i felt the M-Speed Pro 98 is a better racquet on top, and ill be buying 3 for Christmas. I just liked to share my experiences with it so maybe others will give it a try.

-Also the M-Speed is ALOT better for my TE which has let up on me alot ever since using it.

guedoguedo
12-01-2006, 11:13 PM
M speed is a great racket..and it is easily the most comfortable frame I have used. I found it awesome on serves, kick and slice. Sometimes the thicker beam got in the way though. All around terrific racket.

Also the strings hardly move on this frame for some reason, which is nice!

SC in MA
12-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Count me in as a convert to the Fischer MSpeed 98. I demo'd it back in late July along with the Ti-80 and the RDS001MP. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88695

While I liked the Ti-80 and the RDS001MP for different reasons, the MSpeed98 was the winner for me and it's now my main racket. In summary, I liked it's solid, stable feel with nicely controlled power and for a 12 oz racket, it has very good maneuverability (not as maneuverable as the Slaz X-1, but certainly noticeably more manueverable than the nCode61 95).

Nextman916: I also found that the MSpeed 98 did wonders for my backhand, especially my one-hand topspin backhand, which I now hit with a lot more confidence since I don't get the flyers I've experienced with other rackets. I think the Fischer grip has something to do with this. I'm used to the Wilson and Babolat grip shapes and I was a bit concerned when I first picked up the MSpeed and felt the more squarish grip shape. But I found that I was able to easily and quickly adjust to the Fischer grip and I now really like it. On the backhand side, I found that I can easily find and lock into the Eastern backhand grip with the MSpeed 98. And with the proper grip and control that the MSpeed offers, I now hit a lot more topspin backhands than I used to.

Also on the backhand side, I found that I have great success when I have to block back hard shots to the backhand side. The blockbacks are just so solid, stable and controlled.

guedoguedo: I've also found that there's hardly any string movement with the MSpeed, which really surprised me, especially since this is a racket that performs best with lower string tensions. I'm currently using a VS gut/syn gut hybrid strung at 57lbs that has lasted forever. With the strings not moving and lasting for such a long time, I haven't been able to experiment much with various strings and tensions. I'm not sure yet what I'll string it with next time, but I do know that I'm going to try a lower tension, which is unusual for me (I'm used to playing at 60-62lbs for most rackets).

Nextman916
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
SC sorry for getting back to you so late....i searched up my thread and realized i had another reply...Anyways i have the Ti-80 and the M-speed demo's in my possession now, i still favor the M-speed but im liking the ti-80 more and more for different reasons. Can you give me sort of short comparison to help me make my decision?? Also its final that one of these 2 sticks is going to be my main stick. Anyone else that can offer some feedback is welcome as well.

Sergei
12-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I personally came to an opposite conclusion - The RDS001 is a far superior frame to M Speed Pro. To me the fisher M Speed Pro felt weak and underpowered. I constantly found myself hitting the balls short (The balls were landing just outside the service line where are the balls hit w/RDS001 would land deep inside the base line. That alone drove me nuts. I tried to make an adjustment but I became even more frustrated. I demoed a number of frames that week playing on aver. 3-4 hours a day. I ended up buying the RDS001 over FXP Prestige MP (also a very solid frame) but M Speed Pro was nothing to really rave about - but that's me. Guys that are trying the ti-80 or even the lighter RDS003 should definitely consider the RDS001. It's simply the best Yonex has to offer today.

Nextman916
12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I personally came to an opposite conclusion - The RDS001 is a far superior frame to M Speed Pro. To me the fisher M Speed Pro felt weak and underpowered. I constantly found myself hitting the balls short (The balls were landing just outside the service line where are the balls hit w/RDS001 would land deep inside the base line. That alone drove me nuts. I tried to make an adjustment but I became even more frustrated. I demoed a number of frames that week playing on aver. 3-4 hours a day. I ended up buying the RDS001 over FXP Prestige MP (also a very solid frame) but M Speed Pro was nothing to really rave about - but that's me. Guys that are trying the ti-80 or even the lighter RDS003 should definitely consider the RDS001. It's simply the best Yonex has to offer today.

Thx....but i HAVE the RDS 001 MP. There different preferences out there, i wouldnt consider switching if i found the M-speed inferior. Have you played with the ti-80? If you have ide love to hear your feedback. I hit with it a couple times already but im still not completely sold to the M-speed so i just want some thoughts on which i should pick and why.

SC in MA
12-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Nextman916: I liked the Ti-80 a lot, but I choose the MSpeed98 mainly because I felt that it hit a heavier ball (verified by a practice partner) with great control and it had a more stable,solid feel to it. I think the Ti-80 plays lighter than its static weight, which is a characteristic I generally like. I found the Ti-80 to be a bit more manueverable and a bit more spin friendly than the MSpeed,and I liked the action I was getting on the serve, however, I found that I was overhitting too often when I hit out with the Ti-80. If you're looking for a racket that is a little heavier than the RDS, but a little lighter than the MSpeed, the Ti-80 might be the one. When I was demo-ing these rackets, I was trying to find a racket that played as stable and solid as the n61 95, but lighter and with better control. I find the MSpeed98 to be that racket for me. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Sergei: I know what you're saying about MSpeed98. It's an inherently lower powered and slightly heavier racket compared to the RDS001MP or the Ti-80. However, what I like about it is that it really allows me to hit out fully, deliverying a heavy ball with great control and a really nice solid feel. I don't like to add weight to my rackets if I can avoid it and I found that I don't need to do that with the MSpeed. Comparing the RDS001MP and the RDS003.. I also preferred the RDS001. More solid and nearly as manueverable.

Overall, I think each of these rackets are excellent rackets.

mavsman149
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Can't say I've played with rds racquets, but I will say that the fischer is the best racquet i have ever tried. I did try the rdx 500 mid and didn't like it, I haven't tried a yonex since. FISCHER IS AMAZING

mfa81
01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I demoed a number of frames that week playing on aver. 3-4 hours a day. I ended up buying the RDS001 over FXP Prestige MP (also a very solid frame) but M Speed Pro was nothing to really rave about

Did you demoed rds 001 mp ? What can you say about fxp prestige mp compared to rds001 mp and m speed pro #1 ? I never tried it but I like the specs head size, weight, balance, I didnt like so much about string pattern.

LarougeNY
01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm recieving demos for the RDS 001 MP, the RDX 500MP and the Fischer mspeed on friday, so i guess i can post my results around saturday if anyones interested. I'm already a fan of the fischer, its a great racket, but looking forward to demoing yonnies.

mfa81
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm recieving demos for the RDS 001 MP, the RDX 500MP and the Fischer mspeed on friday, so i guess i can post my results around saturday if anyones interested. I'm already a fan of the fischer, its a great racket, but looking forward to demoing yonnies.

I am very curious about a comparison between this racquets, I demoed RDS 001 MP and RDX 500 MP, and looking for a Fischer to demo, but it is very difficult to find some racquets here in Brazil.