PDA

View Full Version : POG and string breakage?

poncho
08-14-2004, 06:53 PM
I have never played this this racquet. Someone mentioned that they break a lot of strings with this racquet? Any reason why? Does the older technology contribute to this?

2nd question. How does this racket compare to the Wilson Hypercarbon 6.1 OS?

Are these old racquets they are selling or is Prince continuing to make these?

How long does graphite last before you notice a decrease in control etc

derekryone
08-14-2004, 09:06 PM
The pog has a great open string pattern and the string move around quite a bit when you hit with spin.

To answer your second question. The pog is a fun frame to play with. Just pick your shot and let it fly! I've never hit with your 6.1OS but I did spend time with the 6.1 classic and the pog is much better.

I have a few of the old versions of the frame and havn't hit with the newer version. I'm sure you can search the message board over this topic.

Hope it helps

xmoustc
08-16-2004, 07:19 AM
I usually pop my string about once a week using POG MP.
A string machine is what you need when you play with POG :wink:

longbody
08-16-2004, 08:19 AM
I had only broken a string once in my life before starting to use a Chang Ti MP with the 14x18 pattern. Now I've broken 3 sets in 4 months. I've tried different strings, tension, etc., but there's just too much movement with only 14 mains. It's a shame because I really like the feel of the racquet (Prince's Sweet Spot Suspension is definitely sweet), but I'm not a stringer so I've switched to ones with a 16x18, 16x19, or 16x20 pattern.

fantom
08-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I used to play with the POG OS. I would break them after about 10 hours of play (with 16 guage synth. gut strings). It has a really open string pattern. I now play w/ the Head LM Radical OS, which has a very tight string pattern. I end up cutting the string out before they break usually.

hadoken
08-16-2004, 09:38 AM
String breakage is not THAT bad with the POG whether you are talking the OS or the Mid unless you are a really good hard hitting player who hits lots of topspin and you play every day. Yes, you will break them more than an 18x20 pattern frame, but it shouldn't be unreasonable. I'd say 15-20 hours is about right for a decent player with regular 16G synthetic. So if you play 1-2 hours week, it should last you a summer.

Never played with Hypercarbon 6.1, but if it plays anything like the original 6.1, there is a big difference in stiffness. The 6.1 is a bit stiff compared to the Prince and with a denser string pattern, not as fun to hit with if you ask me.

papa
08-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Well, I break a lot of strings with the POG OS but I play a lot also - several hours a day. Maybe I should get a machine -- any suggestions?

xmoustc
08-16-2004, 06:46 PM
yes, you should.
IMHO, if you have somebody elso to restring for you and it's free, you don't need to buy a string machine. Otherwise, a string machine can save you quite a bit of money.

hadoken
08-17-2004, 10:31 PM
If you play so much and break strings a lot, I am surprised you don't own a stringer. Over the long run, they are a great investment.

Everyone here likes the mid-tier Laserfibre. Nothing wrong with it, but if I had $800 to burn, I'd go for a Gamma 5003. The Gamma Progression ST is pretty good too but I like a floor stander

drummerboy
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
String your POG with Luxilon Big Banger Original 1.30. If you will break this one in a week then you are a hard hitter indeed. This string lasts some time on my POG mid.

jane
08-19-2004, 03:40 AM
my flatmate, she uses the OS, and has no problem with string breakage using a multi-filament.