PDA

View Full Version : Wilson K frames in hand-watch out!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I have both the K-90 and K-95 standard length.

Review to follow!

CC

psamp14
12-02-2006, 12:07 PM
you've bought them already? or demo? anycase, i'm looking forward to your review

also, what racquet do you currently use? and in your review mention if you would switch over to the k factor racquet, and which one, 90 or 95

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 12:10 PM

Review to follow!

CC

Craig!!!!!

How in the world did you get them????? :confused:

Please go out and play with them IMMEDIATELY and come back and post a full review within the next hour!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, I am indeed holding my breath until I see your review!!! ;)

str33t
12-02-2006, 12:13 PM
post pics !!!!!! especially of the specs !!!!

TokyopunK
12-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Is this guy serious!!!!!!!

Please take excessive pictures too! I don't care about the review!

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 12:20 PM

So you don't care whatsoever what it plays like but only what it looks like? :confused:

Do you always choose your tennis racquets by the prettiest paintjob on the racks? :rolleyes:

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 12:22 PM
post pics !!!!!! especially of the specs !!!!
We already know the specs. They are identical to that of the nSix-One Tour. The only difference will be in the way they play, not in the specs printed on the frame.

aznspongehead
12-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Please show a full picture of it... please. I've only been able to piece together what it looks like from seperate pictures of the hoop and the throat, and I've never even seen what's on the handle (leather?). I'm talking about the tour.

Oh and if you can compare how it playes to the ntour 90, that'd be great... I've been curious about this racket ever since I saw those two pictures from that chinese forum. How did you get them, anyways?

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Please show a full picture of it... please. I've only been able to piece together what it looks like from seperate pictures of the hoop and the throat, and I've never even seen what's on the handle (leather?). I'm talking about the tour.

Haven't you guys already seen these pics that were posted by psp2 in that other thread last week? :confused:

http://tinyurl.com/ymnwec

http://tinyurl.com/ym9cws

psamp14
12-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Oh and if you can compare how it playes to the ntour 90, that'd be great... I've been curious about this racket ever since I saw those two pictures from that chinese forum. How did you get them, anyways?

there is a full picture of k factor 90, and two of the 95s in one of the many k factor racquet threads on here

the specs for the racquet are the exact same as the current ncode 90

recommended tension is 50-60 lbs

its 12.0 oz unstrung

16 x 19 string pattern

noticeably the length of the neck is longer, and the string pattern is wider, especially at the PWS part of the racquet (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock" positions)

the racquet is the same, new pj, but will play differently...and it does come with a leather grip, and a black W dampener

aznspongehead
12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow thanks guys. Hey, that's no where near as bad looking as I thought it did, now that I've seen a full picture of it. Holy cheese, I want it!

Ash Doyle
12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
So you don't care whatsoever what it plays like but only what it looks like? :confused:

I think the point the guy was trying to make was he wanted to see pictures as proof the guy actually had them and not just fooling everyone. I, for one, agree.

Zets147
12-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Good move on Wilson for making the Tour's PJ Matte (or w/e how that is spelled)
I think the glossy pjs would make the racquets look like those icky Babolats

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 01:47 PM

Review to follow!

CC

Is this guy serious!!!!!!!

I would call Craig A. Clark a reliable source.

CC, don't just hit and run, more information soon, please.

TokyopunK
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I am in LOVE with those racquets! I think I am going to get one of each!!!!

They look sooooooo awesome!!!! Who cares if I am horrible with them, my oppenents will just surrender because of the awesomeness.

psamp14
12-02-2006, 01:50 PM
it hasnt even been 2 hrs since CC posted...he's probably out hitting with it right now...or today or soon..

aznspongehead
12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
it hasnt even been 2 hrs since CC posted...he's probably out hitting with it right now...or today or soon..

Yeah, if I were him I would probably stay out hitting until it gets dark... I wish I'm him right now.

textbook strokes
12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
This is unbelievable! . Craig wrote the best ever and more accurate review of the ncode tour 90, far better than the TW's review, so if I had to choose someone's opinion about the Ks, I would choose his.
We are anxiously waiting!:-D

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I think the point the guy was trying to make was he wanted to see pictures as proof the guy actually had them and not just fooling everyone. I, for one, agree.
Then why would he not care at all about the review? :confused:

Of course, Craig has them! Has Craig EVER lied or pulled out leg on this board?

A lot of people on this board have already seen them in person, and several have already hit with them, so they are definitely already out there if you know the right people.

bcsax123
12-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow those K frames are fugly.

tonysk83
12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
What is the composition of these racquets? Hopefully the majority of it is graphite. I can wish for 80% graphite, 20% kevlar.

Hollywood
12-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't see any difference in the spec chart between the two racquets. Can anyone shed some light regarding the differences? I still don't know what the K stand for?

psamp14
12-02-2006, 04:50 PM
its been said so many times already in the numerous threads all on the k factor

all the specs are the same, the paintjob is different

but the length of the neck of the k factor 90 is longer than the ncode 90

there is also a new version of the k factor 95, which is 16 x 18 and 27.5 in long, instead of standard 27 in

k factor 95 comes in 16 x 18, 16 x 18 with 27.5 in frame, and a 18 x 20

so basically the difference is that the k factor 90 has wider string spacing, evident near the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions...4 strings instead of 5 strings which the ncode 90 has

so the racquet essentially will play differently

also the new k factor is less stiff than the ncode 90

i dont know what the K stands for...i didnt pay much attention to the large label in the center of the frame when i saw it

Duzza
12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Weird, I like the paintjob....

midsouth
12-02-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm goin with bcsax123 on this one. Those are some seriously ugly frames!

stules
12-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi guys
I was just having a lesson in Chicago. I am using a couple of new (to me) racquets, and wanted the pro (matt) to have a hit with my new sticks. He gave me his to hit with.............
Guess what? It was the new K series 90". Only got 10 minutes with it. Just some baseline rallies. I have used the Ncode 90 only breifly, so I cannot compare it much to the old model.
He got from a friend at wilson, and said he would change over for tounaments if he can get another 2 of them.
I agree with him as to it being quite flexible. Not sure of the RDC and won't even hazard a guess.
I can say that it swings faily close to my SRD tour 90 for overall weight, swingwieght and flex.
Only just looked it up here after the lesson. If I had known it was so rare, I would have asked for a precise review from the pro. Damn
Regards Stuart

psamp14
12-02-2006, 05:31 PM
lucky guy stules!

now get a ncode 90 somehow and hit with that and then give us a review!

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 05:53 PM
you've bought them already? or demo? anycase, i'm looking forward to your review

also, what racquet do you currently use? and in your review mention if you would switch over to the k factor racquet, and which one, 90 or 95

Demos! I don't think you can get them until late January 07. But I have 'friends in low places' in the tennis world, if you know what I mean! ;)

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Craig!!!!!

How in the world did you get them????? :confused:

Please go out and play with them IMMEDIATELY and come back and post a full review within the next hour!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Yes, I am indeed holding my breath until I see your review!!! ;)

I have two hitting sessions on the books for tomorrow. Please do breath in AND out until then!!! :grin:

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 05:58 PM

I am going to take the photos tonight. I'll get it from every angle.

I am VERY familiar with the n6.1 90 as I played it for two years. I will be glad to offer a compare/contrast in the (necessarily) mini-review.

And as for how I got a hold of 'em............I have friends in low places in the tennis world.......like I said! ;)

CC

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 06:00 PM

I hope that's a joke. Why, oh why on the Earth would I PRETEND to have these frames?

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Then why would he not care at all about the review? :confused:

Of course, Craig has them! Has Craig EVER lied or pulled out leg on this board?

A lot of people on this board have already seen them in person, and several have already hit with them, so they are definitely already out there if you know the right people.

BP-Thanks for the show of support. :)

I am happy to take some photos. Posting them is the issue, since I'm not sure how to do that on this message board. If someone will please post instructions in this thread the images can be 'up' in the next hour or so.

As for the review, I will do my best to give an accurate first impression. These are loaner frames from the Wilson rep, so I will play stock since I have to return them in a day or two. Customarily I like my sticks strung more tightly and with a different type of rope-these are both done mid-tension w/ Wilson Sensation.

I can tell you guys that these specs of the ACTUAL frame:

K90 12.5oz STRUNG, 8pts HL
K95 12.3oz STRUNG, 8pts HL

Best,

Craig

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 06:07 PM
What is the composition of these racquets? Hopefully the majority of it is graphite. I can wish for 80% graphite, 20% kevlar.

It does mention "Wilson Nanotechnology" on the side of the frame. Didn't see anything about the actual composition, but I may have missed it. CC

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Craig, could you make some measurements of the beam widths, seeing as Wilson likes to get a little creative with those numbers. The 6.1 90 has to be more than 17mm.

alan-n
12-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Craig, could you make some measurements of the beam widths, seeing as Wilson likes to get a little creative with those numbers. The 6.1 90 is has to be more than 17mm.

My playing and backup racquets are the Tour 90 Original and 6.1 Tour 90. Both measure 17.5 mm on my digital calipers..... I'm willing to bet the frames are 17mm. the extra .5 mm comes from the primer/gloss/clear coat paints.

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 06:14 PM
My playing and backup racquets are the Tour 90 Original and 6.1 Tour 90. Both measure 17.5 mm on my digital calipers..... I'm willing to bet the frames are 17mm. the extra .5 mm comes from the primer/gloss/clear coat paints.

Oh, that makes perfect sense, cannot beleive I did not think of that. Well, you learn something everyday.

patrick922
12-02-2006, 06:14 PM
so where are the pics?

jjl
12-02-2006, 06:17 PM
As said before, the specs are EXACTLY the same as the current nCode lineup...so other than the new paintjob, can't imagine why any current ncode player would pony up the dough for a K...doubt that the larger neck would make much of a difference...i do like the PJ though.

pham4313
12-02-2006, 06:18 PM
paint job looks a bit like those technifibre....kinda bullish looking not as cool as the red ncode...
compositionwise, either way kevlar + carbon or even ncoded is fine, the fact that the spacing 4 string spacing by pws is enough to make it feel different. NOt to mention some weight off the palette...maybe thats why a reduction is seen from 9 pts to 8 pts HL or static weight 12.6 to 12.5 oz compared to the ncode

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I am happy to take some photos. Posting them is the issue, since I'm not sure how to do that on this message board. If someone will please post instructions in this thread the images can be 'up' in the next hour or so.

Image sharing sites such as Tinypic.com and Imageshack.us are relatively intuitive to use.

To have the actual pictures show up on the forums, put the image link between the and codes.

delete-and-put-image-link-here

If you do not want to bother with that, you email them to me and I'll do the dirty work for you.

sfrazuer(at)yahoo.com

squints
12-02-2006, 06:36 PM
excerpt from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-factor):

"In Sheet metal engineering, the term k-factor has the following meaning:

During bending the inner surface of the bend is subjected to compression while the outer surface is subjected to tension. However there is layer in between which is free from any forces and thus its length remains the same. This is called the neutral axis ( N.A ). The radius of this layer of metal is called the neutral bend arc radius ( NBAR )and is defined as the inside bend radius plus a percentage( K-factor ) of the metal thickness.

NBAR = BR + (T * K-factor)

The K-Factor ( K ) depends on the material, the type of bending operation (coining, air-bending), the ratio of the Bend Radius to the metal thickness ( R/T ) and is typically between 0.3 to 0.5. For most types of steels it is around 0.33 to 0.4."

thought maybe that be the whole mystery behind the k*factor name. At least this makes more sense than potassium and what not.

I've got to say, i hate the pj. i liked the look of clean simple lines, this just tries too hard. but if with those fed like specs i gotta try/have it.

and to breakpoint do you know if that store in MV, is going to be demoing them? or if they even have them out for that matter?

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 06:41 PM
As said before, the specs are EXACTLY the same as the current nCode lineup...so other than the new paintjob, can't imagine why any current ncode player would pony up the dough for a K...doubt that the larger neck would make much of a difference...i do like the PJ though.

I'm confused. Isn't this the first time the world as a whole is being offered what I can only refer to as the "federer string spacing"?

My understanding was that the only previous way to acquire this was via the japanese wilsons, but now it seems it's standard on the new k-90?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong....

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm confused. Isn't this the first time the world as a whole is being offered what I can only refer to as the "federer string spacing"?

My understanding was that the only previous way to acquire this was via the japanese wilsons, but now it seems it's standard on the new k-90?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong....

As much as I like to correct people, I cannot, for you are correct sir! This is the first time for the Federer string spacing out side of the Japanese model.

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 06:49 PM
As much as I like to correct people, I cannot, for you are correct sir! This is the first time for the Federer string spacing out side of the Japanese model.

:). And good to know - because in that case at least there's one reason that the frame can indeed be expected to play differently to the current nSixOne. Maybe not a lot differently, but somewhat.

On thinking - probably has the potential to make it a(n even) more challenging frame to use!

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 06:51 PM
:). And good to know - because in that case at least there's one reason that the frame can indeed be expected to play differently to the current nSixOne. Maybe not a lot differently, but somewhat.

On thinking - probably has the potential to make it a(n even) more challenging frame to use!

I do wonder if that string spacing change has much to do with people stating that the new frame feels more flexible.

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I do wonder if that string spacing change has much to do with people stating that the new frame feels more flexible.

Fair point... one would think it would make the stringbed feel a little softer, so yeah, your comments do make sense :)

Given everyone else has commented on the graphics - I think they're awful. But, given I once showed my true colours (pun accidental but acknowledged ;)) in a thread polling about whether people care more about looks or playability. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83809), then I will be consistent and say that I couldn't care less about a racquet's appearance if it helps me play better.
(http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83809)

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Fair point... one would think it would make the stringbed feel a little softer, so yeah, your comments do make sense :)

Given everyone else has commented on the graphics - I think they're awful. But, given I once showed my true colours (pun accidental but acknowledged ;)) in a thread polling about whether people care more about looks or playability. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83809), then I will be consistent and say that I couldn't care less about a racquet's appearance if it helps me play better.
(http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83809)

I do not care what the graphics are on a racquet, if I love a racquet, it could be be pink or toilette bowl blue for all I care.

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I do not care what the graphics are on a racquet, if I love a racquet, it could be be pink or toilette bowl blue for all I care.

To quote me:

For me? If I found a racquet that I played best with, I'd buy it. Even if it happened to have a double-throat bar and a massive wide beam with pink and purple edges and brown and green speckles and a flouro grip with a flashing neon butt-cap and the oversize prince holes and isometric shape and 'rainbow' strings and and ... I think if you've read this far then you'll know I voted that appearance doesn't matter at all to me! :wink:

Captain Haddock
12-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Credibility-wise, it doesn't get better than Craig, y'all. As far as the availability of the K-factor before its official release, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson had prototypes out there, at tennis academies and in the hands of Division I college players and coaches. Craig has connections... Give the man some time to test the frames, and you'll get a thorough, articulate review from someone who knows racquets and has the verbal tools to describe how they play.

superstition
12-02-2006, 07:10 PM
So Wilson finally made a racquet with Federer's specs available? That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, if this is the case, the marketing will take advantage of it.

Cosmetically, they seem pretty loud. I don't see why Wilson doesn't release the Federer racquet in glossy black.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Image sharing sites such as Tinypic.com and Imageshack.us are relatively intuitive to use.

To have the actual pictures show up on the forums, put the image link between the and codes.

delete-and-put-image-link-here

If you do not want to bother with that, you email them to me and I'll do the dirty work for you.

sfrazuer(at)yahoo.com

Here goes!!;)

http://i13.tinypic.com/2q3ytt5.jpg

CC

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 07:15 PM
So Wilson finally made a racquet with Federer's specs available?

I think the jury will always still be out on whether he's using a paintjob and a different frame in some way under the paint or not.

I think the other question at this stage will be what pallet length the public get vs. Federer gets.

That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, if this is the case, the marketing will take advantage of it.The marketing always has taken advantage of it - according to the marketing, they've always been selling Federer's racquet. They can't come out now and say "we've been lying for years and years". The marketing will just continue to take advantage of it. Most people who've never been here or are not *really, truly* racquet fanatics aren't aware of paintjobs & racquet company 'deception' anyways...

Cosmetically, they seem pretty loud. I don't see why Wilson doesn't release the Federer racquet in glossy black.Too plain for the target market of 14-16 year olds...

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Here goes!!;)

CC

You seem to have gotten it working.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Credibility-wise, it doesn't get better than Craig, y'all. As far as the availability of the K-factor before its official release, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson had prototypes out there, at tennis academies and in the hands of Division I college players and coaches. Craig has connections... Give the man some time to test the frames, and you'll get a thorough, articulate review from someone who knows racquets and has the verbal tools to describe how they play.

Greetings My Friend!

Hope you are well. Soon a cache of n6.1 95's will be in YOUR hands to playtest. I think you will like them!!

Here goes another effort at a pic-post:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2samipg.jpg

CC

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
BP-Thanks for the show of support. :)

As for the review, I will do my best to give an accurate first impression. These are loaner frames from the Wilson rep, so I will play stock since I have to return them in a day or two. Customarily I like my sticks strung more tightly and with a different type of rope-these are both done mid-tension w/ Wilson Sensation.

I can tell you guys that these specs of the ACTUAL frame:

K90 12.5oz STRUNG, 8pts HL
K95 12.3oz STRUNG, 8pts HL

Best,

Craig

thanks for the strung specs CC, and i believe you've got the frames as well

i'll breathe on until your review

psamp14

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Greetings My Friend!

Hope you are well. Soon a cache of n6.1 95's will be in YOUR hands to playtest. I think you will like them!!

Here goes another effort at a pic-post:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2samipg.jpg

CC

thanks Craig...what a beauty... 4 string spacing and short pallette....thats all i need.... :)

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
excerpt from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-factor):

"In Sheet metal engineering, the term k-factor has the following meaning:

During bending the inner surface of the bend is subjected to compression while the outer surface is subjected to tension. However there is layer in between which is free from any forces and thus its length remains the same. This is called the neutral axis ( N.A ). The radius of this layer of metal is called the neutral bend arc radius ( NBAR )and is defined as the inside bend radius plus a percentage( K-factor ) of the metal thickness.

NBAR = BR + (T * K-factor)

The K-Factor ( K ) depends on the material, the type of bending operation (coining, air-bending), the ratio of the Bend Radius to the metal thickness ( R/T ) and is typically between 0.3 to 0.5. For most types of steels it is around 0.33 to 0.4."

thought maybe that be the whole mystery behind the k*factor name. At least this makes more sense than potassium and what not.

I've got to say, i hate the pj. i liked the look of clean simple lines, this just tries too hard. but if with those fed like specs i gotta try/have it.

and to breakpoint do you know if that store in MV, is going to be demoing them? or if they even have them out for that matter?

squints, i was at that tennis shop in MV on friday...they have one k factor 90 and a k factor 95 in the back...i asked to see them and they gladly let me check them out

they said they will have them around mid-january for demo'ing them

great shop, great inventory, nice people too

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:24 PM
And another....................

http://i14.tinypic.com/49kyr9f.jpg

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
thanks Craig...what a beauty... 4 string spacing and short pallette....thats all i need.... :)

Umm, is that a shorter pallette? I'm no guru here, but it looks barely shorter (if at all?). Happy, as always, to be corrected... ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:26 PM
The point of the last photo was to show the different string spacing so widely discussed. CC

guedoguedo
12-02-2006, 07:26 PM
OK right winger!

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 07:28 PM
guedoguedo, best take down the animation.

OK right winger!

Well, excuse me for trying to keep you from getting a reprimand.

Umm, is that a shorter pallette? I'm no guru here, but it looks barely shorter (if at all?). Happy, as always, to be corrected... ;)

It looks to be about an inch shorter, which for one haders that have used ps 85's that long red pallette on the n6.1 is ugly.

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:29 PM
sweet pic CC! i wish i had my camera with me when i had the racquet in my hands but at that time i didnt care i just marveled at the make of the racquet...long neck, string spacing, just wish it had strings in it

now i am just waiting to demo it

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:30 PM
And the shorter grip pallet-note that I remove my grips and wrap the handle w/ a Tournagrip. So the space above the Tournagrip is usually covered by leather on the old n6.1 90. CC

http://i13.tinypic.com/359l6xh.jpg

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

Craig, could you might as well give take a pic on the info box as well as the short pallette? Thanks a lot!:p

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:33 PM
brilliant pics CC, so how did the k factor 90 play compared to the ncode 90?

OrangeOne
12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
It looks to be about an inch shorter, which for one haders that have used ps 85's that long red pallette on the n6.1 is ugly.

Yup - you're right - now that CC has posted the side-on grip-less comparison I see the difference.

CC: props to you for taking the time to satisfy everyone's curiosity!

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:38 PM
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black"]

Craig, could you might as well give take a pic on the info box as well as the short pallette? Thanks a lot!:p

http://i13.tinypic.com/2lij7k5.jpg

I will hit TWICE tomorrow and first thing Monday AM. Review to follow.

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:42 PM
And he keeps 'em coming...............this time w/the K95 specs.............
http://i17.tinypic.com/48efjti.jpg

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
This one is of the n90 lying under the K90. Not sure they look all that differently in terms of shape........................

http://i14.tinypic.com/2jbwtv7.jpg

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Oops. I meant the n90 atop the K90. CC

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Craig, you re the best !!:p Thanks for the pics...keep em coming
And wow, you did shave that pallet on the ncode...you might as well use a red sharpie to color it up... what did you use to shave it by the way?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
And I don't have digital calipers, but I get just over 17mm beam width.

Now, is everyone satisfied that I ACTUALLY have them in hand? ;)

Tomorrow, 7:30am. The K Journey begins.......................

CC

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:54 PM
craig...im not satisfied till i lay my hands on it...:) looking forward to own one this january :)

Da One
12-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I've hit with the K Six One Tour already, and I'm switching to them. I used to use the Pro Staff Tour 90 (didn't like the N-Code) and the PS 6.0 85. My first impression of the K Six One Tour is that its the best feeling racquet since the PS 6.0 85. Just my personal opinion

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
string pattern on the cross: ncode: 7 + 5 +7 vs. K-: 7 + 4 + 8
Craig, i d expect a lil more dwell or pocketing on the ball, so maybe a bit more topspin, but a bit more jarring towards the hoop

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
And wow, you did shave that pallet on the ncode...you might as well use a red sharpie to color it up... what did you use to shave it by the way?

i dont think CC shaved any of the pallette....thats the way the ncode 90 is under the original leather grip and below where the pj of the frame ends

the pic just shows the difference between the two racquets, when the grip is the same length on the pallettes...the paint is still there on the k factor, and the ncode 90 shows some of the pallette, because of its shorter neck

pham4313
12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I've hit with the K Six One Tour already, and I'm switching to them. I used to use the Pro Staff Tour 90 (didn't like the N-Code) and the PS 6.0 85. My first impression of the K Six One Tour is that its the best feeling racquet since the PS 6.0 85. Just my personal opinion
how?? details please

psamp14
12-02-2006, 07:59 PM

its not just your own personal opinion, i think its starting to become everyone's opinion who has this racquet in hand for demo purposes

the k factor 90 is gaining popularity real real fast now...it could be the same exact racquet as federer uses....

that was like the whole popularity with the pro staff original 6.0...it was sampras' racquet

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 08:02 PM
OK, boys and girls, I held the K-Six-One Tour and the 95 in my hands today. :D

I'd hate to say it, but im my opinion, the paintjob is even uglier in person than in the pics, especially on the Tour. I much, much - did I say "much"? - prefer the classic red and white paintjob on the nSix-One Tour. The K-Factor paintjob looks like the racquet has a bad case of the bird flu or something. :(

And I agree with those that said the glossy finish on the 95 looks much, much better than the matte finish on the Tour (whereas I thought the opposite was true between the glossy nSix-One 95 and the matte nSix-One Tour). The matte finish (if you can call it that) on the Tour looks really cheap and plasticky, like it had some sort of plastic-like coating over it which made the thing look to me like a toy racquet that you give to toddlers to play around with.

Anyway, aside from the ugly paintjob, the Tour swung about the same as the nSix-One Tour. I did not hit with them since the racquets were not strung.

The wider string spacing is defintely there (4 string holes at the PWS) as shown in Craig's pics above. The handle pallet/grip is indeed shorter than that on the nSix-One Tour but I don't think it's as short as the pallet/grips on the PS 6.0 85/95, but more like somewhere between the two. Perhaps Wilson made a compromise to appease all the two-handed backhand players out there these days?

Anyway, I hope to hit with one sometime in the near future and if it indeed is more flexible and has more feel and has a weight distribution closer to that of the PS 6.0 than the nSix-One Tour, then I'm sold - ugly paintjob or not! ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Yup - you're right - now that CC has posted the side-on grip-less comparison I see the difference.

CC: props to you for taking the time to satisfy everyone's curiosity!

Absolutely. It is all about the love................ ;)

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:05 PM

I didn't shave the pallet, just removed the leather grip. That's what the bare pallet looks like w/o a grip on top.

CC

tonysk83
12-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Craig just a question, where do you live?

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Craig just a question, where do you live?

The promised land, where new yet to be released racquets are to be found.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:21 PM

I'd hate to say it, but im my opinion, the paintjob is even uglier in person than in the pics, especially on the Tour. I much, much - did I say "much"? - prefer the classic red and white paintjob on the nSix-One Tour. The K-Factor paintjob looks like the racquet has a bad case of the bird flu or something. :(

And I agree with those that said the glossy finish on the 95 looks much, much better than the matte finish on the Tour (whereas I thought the opposite was true between the glossy nSix-One 95 and the matte nSix-One Tour). The matte finish (if you can call it that) on the Tour looks really cheap and plasticky, like it had some sort of plastic-like coating over it which made the thing look to me like a toy racquet that you give to toddlers to play around with.

Anyway, aside from the ugly paintjob, the Tour swung about the same as the nSix-One Tour. I did not hit with them since the racquets were not strung.

The wider string spacing is defintely there (4 string holes at the PWS) as shown in Craig's pics above. The handle pallet/grip is indeed shorter than that on the nSix-One Tour but I don't think it's as short as the pallet/grips on the PS 6.0 85/95, but more like somewhere between the two. Perhaps Wilson made a compromise to appease all the two-handed backhand players out there these days?

Anyway, I hope to hit with one sometime in the near future and if it indeed is more flexible and has more feel and has a weight distribution closer to that of the PS 6.0 than the nSix-One Tour, then I'm sold - ugly paintjob or not! ;)

OK, here's an 'up-close' of the pallets of the K90, PS 6.0 85, and PS 6.0 95.

http://i16.tinypic.com/2s9t6s5.jpg

What do you guys think? They look pretty close to me.

CC

anirut
12-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Wow! 340 gram! I love that weight! Is that strung weight? (I wouldn't mind 353-355 strung either, and would prefer it such.)

CC, 8 pts strung? Without an overgrip I suppose. Add an O/G and that'd make it around 9-9.5 HL (and another 7 grams (appx) added). Nice specs that's be.

Looking forward to your reviews!

pham4313
12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Craig, is the matte finish looks like that of the P.S 85? or just bad as BP said earlier

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:24 PM
And finally............... ;) CC

http://i13.tinypic.com/357naxt.jpg

pham4313
12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Craig, final question.....where is the wilson quality trademark located?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow! 340 gram! I love that weight! Is that strung weight? (I wouldn't mind 353-355 strung either, and would prefer it such.)

CC, 8 pts strung? Without an overgrip I suppose. Add an O/G and that'd make it around 9-9.5 HL (and another 7 grams (appx) added). Nice specs that's be.

Looking forward to your reviews!

Yes, the specs I posted were for the STRUNG frames (BTW, I made a mistake about the string TYPE....it is Wilson NXT 16g, not Sensation as I said earlier).

I weighed them STOCK, no overgrip or dampener.

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Craig, final question.....where is the wilson quality trademark located?

Opposite side of the beam from the specs box. CC

http://i13.tinypic.com/2eg5vdy.jpg

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmmm...Craig, thanks for the close-up pic. It looks to me like the pallet on the PS 6.0 95 is shorter than both the 85 and the K-90. Can you confirm that?

I guess when I made my comment about the pallet/grip on the K-90 not being as short as the PS 6.0, I was thinking more of the 95 since that was my main stick for several years prior to the nCode 90, and not the 85, which was never my main stick.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Craig, is the matte finish looks like that of the P.S 85? or just bad as BP said earlier
The finish is definitely not "matte" like on the PS 6.0 85/95, but more like it's sheathed in a thin coating of plastic.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, the specs I posted were for the STRUNG frames (BTW, I made a mistake about the string TYPE....it is Wilson NXT 16g, not Sensation as I said earlier).

I weighed them STOCK, no overgrip or dampener.

CC
Yes, but the 340 grams that anirut cited is for UNSTRUNG. Just wanted to make that clear so there's no confusion. :D

anirut
12-02-2006, 08:32 PM
This sure is a HOT thread!

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 08:35 PM
This sure is a HOT thread!

And some guy who also saw the racquets today just started another one.

anirut
12-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping it's available at the AO so Duzza can get one for me ... hehe.

BTW, how much will it cost? Appx?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-02-2006, 08:37 PM

I can't say the matte finish on the K90 is all that attractive, but frankly I just don't care for this paint scheme at all.

That having been said, if it plays like a PS 6.0 90, guess who will be back in Wilson-Land pretty quickly!?

CC

anirut
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
I think I should get an airbursh set ready ... the PJ's sure fugly, even my son said that.

But he even said "That's alright. I care more how it plays than it looks. I don't look at the racket when hitting the ball."

patrick922
12-02-2006, 08:43 PM
i dont particularly like the color scheme of the racquet....i do like the red ncode nsix one color scheme....to me it looks simpler and clean cut. this one looks busy....[but it might grow on me]....and i like the red and white color scheme....Go switzerland!!! lol

andyroddick's mojo
12-02-2006, 08:49 PM
yea, this paintjob is a little too black and red for me. Also too many lines and stuff, I prefer simpler nice looking paintjobs.

ShooterMcMarco
12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Nice pics Craig, looking forward to your reviews :)

psamp14
12-02-2006, 09:00 PM

you rushed over to the tennis shop in MV? i agree that the pj is not the greatest thing...i think wilson might have debated whether to release the ncode with new make, but same pj and a new name like the federer 90, or make an entirely new pj

should have kept the same pj or maybe flip the colors, so a white-red-white racquet, mostly white, called the wilson federer tour or something

i might get sold on the racquet if it really has more feel and plays better to me as well

hyperwarrior
12-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Here goes!!;)

http://i13.tinypic.com/2q3ytt5.jpg

CC

Craig, I'm so jealous!! HIHIHIHIHI!!

j/k. Wow the upgrade version of Ncode 90.

psamp14
12-02-2006, 09:06 PM
CC, i too envy you, only because you've hit with the racquet

i felt so unreal when i got to touch it, like i was one of the lucky ones to touch a racquet set to come out in about a month and a half

thanks heaps for all the huge close up pics mate

mileslong
12-02-2006, 09:16 PM
the problem is that they arent painted like a players racket if that makes any sense. thats a paint job for an oversized kmart special, imo...

baros
12-02-2006, 09:18 PM
i think the racquet looks great i cant wait to hit with it.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 09:21 PM
the problem is that they arent painted like a players racket if that makes any sense. thats a paint job for an oversized kmart special, imo...
That's exactly what came to my mind as well when I held it today.

psamp14
12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
actually i'd like to clarify some of my posts where i say the racquet is sick or its got an ugly pj

i'd take the ncode 90 pj over the k factor pj, only because it looks more simple and sleek, but the k factor pj is not bad...maybe for older players who'd prefer something to look like the ps 6.0 original, but i think i would be cool with the k factor 90, especially if i find it to my liking much more than the ncode 90

if i find the k factor anything less than that, i'll pass on it...but i have a feeling i'll like the racquet and could end up buying one sometime in 2007

i dont think i'd sell my ncodes to help pay for the k factor though...

aznspongehead
12-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok, now I've pretty much gotten my mind set on getting one. I don't care if I suck with it. (if I do, I can probably use it as a motivation to get better)

They should release it around Christmas time... now I have to find a way to get my parents to hold off on the Christmas present until mid January.... how the heck am I going to do that... How come the shops in my area don't have it? They're authorized dealers too.

Venetian
12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm just so happy that the 95 is coming out in a 4 1/8 grip size. They stopped that with the NCode 6.1. Must be back by popular demand.

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Ok, now I've pretty much gotten my mind set on getting one. I don't care if I suck with it. (if I do, I can probably use it as a motivation to get better)

They should release it around Christmas time... now I have to find a way to get my parents to hold off on the Christmas present until mid January.... how the heck am I going to do that... How come the shops in my area don't have it? They're authorized dealers too.

Ask for a gift certificate to Tennis-Warehouse for the amount of a (K)6.1 90.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/GiftCertificates.html

Zets147
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, I guess I will be using the money I get from selling my books to buy the racquet! XD

P.S. Mr. CC is the man!!!!!! (he will even be manlier after he gives the racquets a review!!) (I hope it's a good review lol)

Come on Upgraded Ncode!!!

psamp14
12-02-2006, 10:54 PM
zets147, you're a genius! how could that thought slip my mind...

ShooterMcMarco
12-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, I guess I will be using the money I get from selling my books to buy the racquet! XD

And I will be using my college tuition to pay for these racquets :mrgreen:

CoconutGT
12-02-2006, 11:06 PM

That's what I thought of at first. Then when I saw all the pics CC posted, all I can do now is drool. Looking forward for the review!

Zets147
12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
zets147, you're a genius! how could that thought slip my mind...:rolleyes:

it hurts my feelings when you roll your eyes at me psamp-chan.

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 11:10 PM

Listen guys that money is for your future, not to spend on a toy. Grow up, you can do without the newest thing. Am I understood? Mind you though, my next tuition request from my fund will increase by increments of 179.99. I haven't decided if I was joking or not about my previous statement.

psamp14
12-02-2006, 11:11 PM
it hurts my feelings when you roll your eyes at me psamp-chan.

oh, sorry, i didnt mean to....i dont put any smilies except the :) because its the easiest, and so i clicked for more smilies, and next to rolls eyes it said sarcastic, so i thought of putting that

but i never meant to hurt your feelings...and psamp-chan? what? where'd that come from?

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah, who the heck needs an education when you can get brand new tennis racquets instead. :D The Democrats will be raising the minimum wage anyway so that job at Micky D's is now looking pretty good, right? ;) LOL

psamp14
12-02-2006, 11:18 PM
excuse me, i have a professional job, i work at a tennis center :)

SFrazeur
12-02-2006, 11:27 PM
excuse me, i have a professional job, i work at a tennis center :)

If you are taxed for that money then yes, it is a professional job.

Keifers
12-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Hmmm...Craig, thanks for the close-up pic. It looks to me like the pallet on the PS 6.0 95 is shorter than both the 85 and the K-90. Can you confirm that?

I guess when I made my comment about the pallet/grip on the K-90 not being as short as the PS 6.0, I was thinking more of the 95 since that was my main stick for several years prior to the nCode 90, and not the 85, which was never my main stick.
I just compared the handle lengths (where the leather ends) of my 6.0 85 and 6.0 95. The 95's grip is shorter that the 85's -- but by less than one sixteenth of an inch.

Punisha
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Ich Brauche Review!!!!!!

ShooterMcMarco
12-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Listen guys that money is for your future, not to spend on a toy. Grow up, you can do without the newest thing. Am I understood? Mind you though, my next tuition request from my fund will increase by increments of 179.99. I haven't decided if I was joking or not about my previous statement.

lol, sounds like a plan

Yeah, who the heck needs an education when you can get brand new tennis racquets instead.

my thoughts exactly :D

Punisha
12-03-2006, 12:08 AM
I NEED REVIEW!!! btw thnx for sharing...

p3k
12-03-2006, 01:53 AM
Fantastic job, Craig!;) You have an EOS 20D?

TokyopunK
12-03-2006, 07:44 AM
The day of the review has finally come......... now its time to wait............................................

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:53 AM
there is a full picture of k factor 90, and two of the 95s in one of the many k factor racquet threads on here

the specs for the racquet are the exact same as the current ncode 90

recommended tension is 50-60 lbs

its 12.0 oz unstrung

16 x 19 string pattern

noticeably the length of the neck is longer, and the string pattern is wider, especially at the PWS part of the racquet (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock" positions)

the racquet is the same, new pj, but will play differently...and it does come with a leather grip, and a black W dampener

Yet again another Wilson gimmick to get everyone to buy more racquets.

federermcenroeagassi
12-03-2006, 08:15 AM
i hope craig does a review betwen the n6.1 95 and the kfactor 95, same with the 90 tour's. i mite by one

dragonxking
12-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Yet again another Wilson gimmick to get everyone to buy more racquets.

there's a difference between the prostaff 90 and the nsix-one. for one not to see the difference would depend on the experience and skill level of that tennis player if you know what i mean ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:45 AM
The promised land, where new yet to be released racquets are to be found.

He's right! I DO live in the Promised Land!!!

Nashvegas!!

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:47 AM

Morning,

Yes, you are correct. The pallets on the PS 6.0 85 and K90 are almost identical. The PS 6.0 95 a smidgeon more stubby. :) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Fantastic job, Craig!;) You have an EOS 20D?

Uhmmm.......yes. I used to kinda be 'into' photography as well. Now it's pretty much all tennis and fitness.

CC

Voltron
12-03-2006, 08:58 AM

Yeah, unlike my RDS mids.

anirut
12-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Uhmmm.......yes. I used to kinda be 'into' photography as well. Now it's pretty much all tennis and fitness.

CC

Then you should talk to varuscelli. You'll sure have a great time talking the matter with him.

As for the K-90 racket face, it is similar to the tour 90 in shape?

BTW, thanks for the K pics!

psamp14
12-03-2006, 09:48 AM
anirut, the 2 frames, as in k factor 90 and ncode 90, are the same shape....put one on top of the other, everything matches..just the k factor 90 has a shorter pallette

anirut
12-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks psamp!

sureshs
12-03-2006, 09:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_black

The wikipedia page confirms what I thought. Carbon Black has been around for decades if not hundreds of years. The fact that it is "one of the first nanomaterials" and also that someone said these K racquets have "Wilson Nanotechnology" written somewhere confirms that a company can take an old chemistry/chemical engg process which used nano-sized particles, and claim they are using nano-tech.

milo
12-03-2006, 10:07 AM
wow will there be any asian version with the same spacing and shorter pallet?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 10:47 AM
THE PLAYERS: I met up w/ Tim this morning at 0730. You remember Tim, right? He's one of my regular hitting partners and a very fine player. He was once ranked #1 in our state in the 30's, and ten years later is still one heck of a tennis player. 5.5 for sure, 6.0 when he's on. He's a teaching pro and all around great guy. Just to add a comedic flavor to the proceedings, Tim continues to use his long-time favorite frame, the Wilson HH 4.3 MP. Yes, it's a granny stick, weighing in at a fly-swatter-like 8.9 oz, but he loves it and can knock the fuzz offthe bal with it in hand. I am 44yo, 6'2", 180# and pretty darned fit. I play an aggressive all court game, and look to get to net every chance possible. I'm a 5.0-5.5 level player with a big serve and good volleys who can move reasonably well given my age and size, so I play 'D' a bit too. I used the PS 6.0 85 for more than twenty years before falling into racquet purgatory a few years back. I played the n90 as my main frame the past two years, changed to the i Prestige mid this summer, and am currently back 'on the hunt' for something a bit less stiff after experiencing my fist signs of shoulder/elbow tenderness in many, many years while hitting the i Prestige (though in all fairness, I've been playing 5-7 days per week since March of this year)

THE CONDITIONS: The playtest was held indoors on medium speed hard courts. I am very familiar with this environment, since it is where I play most of my tennis between November and late March. The courts are extremely well maintained, w/ excellent lighting. It was pretty cold this morning, so I was careful to hit the bike and warm up/stretch properly before beginning to hit. We also took our time in the warm up. I didn't want your report tainted by cold muscles on my part!

THE WORK OUT: We agreed to conduct what we call a 'Rod Laver' in hopes of allowing me to give you the best insights possible concerning the frames. This drill consitutes a very focused hitting session where we go from FH crosses to BH crosses to FH DTL, then BH DTL. Then one player (me today) comes to net and takes volleys in a 'random' pattern with interspersed overheads. The goal for me at net is to hit FIRM, deep volleys back to Tim, who in turn does not try to pass me, but makes me WORK. It is a great drill to improve both your racquet work and in/out as well as side to side movement at net. If you haven't ever tried it, you should! Next comes serves and returns, then point play. It is said that this series was one of Laver's favorite work-outs, and thus the name.

THE FRAME: You saw itast night in great detail, and I gave you the specs of the actual one I played this morning:

K90 12.5 oz strung, 8pts HL, Wilson NXT 16 at 55# (per my string tension meter).

I also brought along the n90, Tour 90, and PS 6.0 85 for quick comparisons.

I do not particulary care for the paint job, but the QUALITY of the fit and finish is very good. Please note that these frames are also Volkl/Fischer-like in their SPOT on specs (ie they are identical to the published specs)

I did not use an overgrip or dampener.

THE EXPERIENCE: From the first ball struck, it was apparent to me that the K90 would play differently from the n90, and differently in a way that I found more appealing. We went through a 15 min 'short court' warm up and I literally didn't miss a ball, such was the incredible feedback and 'feel' that this frame provided. Let me give you details first, then a summary.

FH: Hitting forehands with the K90 was a real pleasure. I was immediately grooved and found myself timing the swing and moving into the shot with ease. It was like I had an old friend (the PS 6.0 85, perhaps!?) back in hand. In fact, Tim commented that our VERY FIRST cross-court forehand ralley went more than 40 balls before HE missed. I was not swinging for the fences (as I sometimes felt I had to do with the n90) but still managing to create great depth with lots of spin and pace. I was FORCING ERRORS from Tim on the exchanges (not easy to do, I assure you). There was a sense of certainty or control over direction and height (which in turn translates to depth) with this frame one rarely discovers. The one Achilles heel in using the frame (for me) were low, short balls, where I found it a bit difficult to 'whip' the racquet head quickly enough to spin them high over the net and turn them into deep approach shots. Aside for that, I was shocked at how I well I hit the FH given that this was my first time out with this frame.

BH: The experience with the BH groundstroke when using the K90 was very similiar to the FH. Early prep is key, but get yourself in position, load, and explode!! I was nailing cross court 1HBH's and changing direction to go down the line on short balls inside the court at will. I was reminded of my initial impressions of the n90-both of these frames offer a unique blend of power (indeed suprising amounts of power when struck well) and control. The control comes from an uncanny directional accuracy and the ability to spin the ball (assuming one can generate adequate racquet head speed w/a 12.5oz frame). My 1HBH slice approaches were deep and low, making for some easy put aways once at net. Again, I think the 1HBH slice is where many lighter frames let me down, and it is an important shot to my game, as I look to get to the net to end the point whenever possible.

Volleys: As good as the K90 was at the baseline, I found it even better at net. It combines mobility, a firm head, and great 'feel' with adequate heft to allow stability against even very aggressively struck passes. I will make a bold statement: this is the best frame at net I have used in VERY long time, and may make converts out of some of you die-hard PS 6.0 85 users!! ;) Never, you say??!? Well, don't be too sure. The K90 blends that uncanny 'raw' feel of the PS 6.0 85 with a slightly larger, more forgiving, but EQUALLY STABLE experience at net.

Specialty Shots: During point play I did have the opportunity to try a couple of half volleys and other 'pick ups' at net or in transition, and found the K 90 very similiar to its predecessors in this area, though it may offer a bit more feel than the n90 or Tour 90. With so little data, since our time together was short, I am hesitant to draw any firm conclusions. However what I experienced was very promising. Certainly nothing to indicate that this area is a weakness.

Serves/Overheads: All of this series of frames, from the PS 6.0 85 forward to the n90 have been, in my experience, some of the best serving sticks ever made. The K90 is no exception. I will be honest and tell you that I served noticeably better with the 6.0 85 in comparison with the K90 today WHEN IT CAME TO SHEER PACE, but recall my familiarity with the older Pro Staff. Further, my recent experience in speaking too quickly concerning the serving prowess of the Volkl DNX 9 (I was rather quick to conclude it did not serve too well, but ultimately, I was able to learn to smack the serve with it) makes me want to reserve judgement. I can tell you that when it comes to spin, 'feel', and placement of the serve, I was VERY impressed. If this is indeed Fed's frame, it helps me to understand how he is able to make the variety and placement on the serve such a weapon, forgoing ULTIMATE pace for the former (not that he can't bring heat, but he doesn't RELY PRIMARILY on the fast-ball). Kick serves jumped shoulder high with this thing.

INITIAL CONCLUSIONS: As you know I have been immersed in a search for something to replace my n90's, which I had become convinced were too demanding for my aging body. In the course of that search I've been hitting with a number of MP player's frames that are a bit lighter. What the K90 taught me this morning is that when I migrated to the 11.5-11.8 oz MP's I was in effect making a trade off between a faster swingspeed and more spin at the expense of the ability to just smoothly stroke through the ball with a low to high motion and thereby create lots of depth and 'heavniness'. I am not saying that one is better than the other-they are just different. I, like you, will have to ultimately decide which better serves my unique needs.

I suspect many of you are going to absolutely LOVE this frame. It is a true all court player's racquet that just exudes feel. It is FIRM, but NOT stiff. The ever so slightly larger 90si headsize gives it more zip off the ground than the PS 6.0 85 and at the same time makes it more forgiving at the net. It offers a 'cushiohd feel' and thanks (perhaps) to it's more 'open-in-the-middle' string pattern access to incredibly easy to generate spin. Serves, overheads, and returns are fantastic, especially if one relies more on spin/placement than sheer power (hey, Fed does and it works for him). It has a fugly paintjob, but once you've swung it, I think you'll quickly forget about that (minor) problem.

I favor it over the n90 for it's more comfortable ride without a loss of 'rawness' in terms of feedback about the ball on the strings. In many ways, it blends the most beloved characteristics of the PS 6.0 85 (feel, superb directional control) with some of the coveted qualities of the n90 (more power and a somewhat 'forgiving' character).

Go the next page for the final words (post too long!!)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Finally, a warning. My comments apply to folks who can consistently make solid contact with a 12.5oz, 90si frame. You know who you are. You are probabaly 4.5 or above, in good shape (because no one makes good contact is they can't get into position), and play LOTS of tennis. I don't want to be (even if only indirectly) responsible for a bunch of people dropping $200 bucks on a frame they are not going to be able to enjoy. So, proceed with caution and DEMO BEFORE YOU BUY.

As for you 5.0's out there itching for a new bat, just make sure you've got the spare cahs lying around before you hit one, because you are going to probably want TWO. ;)

Happy Hitting,

CC

P.S. K95 review tomorrow night-not enough time to hit with it today

armand
12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I'll give you 1million dollars for that demo. Just tell the Wilson dude some street thug stole it. Yes you'll have to file a fake police report and everything, but it's a million smackers!

Thanks for review. I look forward to reading more.

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 11:02 AM
He's right! I DO live in the Promised Land!!!

Nashvegas!!

CC

Wow, the Jews were way off.

Zets147
12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Well, now I guess the only thing I can do is wait for it to come out on the market.

Thx for the review!

anirut
12-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks, CC, for the review! Looking forward to more of it!

And $200, appx? That's a pretty hefty tag ...

pham4313
12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
From the FIRM but not Stiff feel you experienced Craig, my guess on composition would be 80% graphite + 10% kevlar + 10% carbon black. I could see a cut on the kevlar to supply bulletproof vests for Iraq

pham4313
12-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Also, great review, Craig !!! You just sold us the K sixone for wilson...now if you could convince them to make this racket under same ncode paintjob :)

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Also, great review, Craig !!! You just sold us the K sixone for wilson...now if you could convince them to make this racket under same ncode paintjob :) Or better yet the PS TOUR 90 paintjob, the last beautiful paintjob from Wilson.

vsbabolat
12-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Craig, Thanks for the great review and pictures of the Ksix-one Tour and 95! It actually looks at the very least like Wilson is finally giving the consumer Federer's mold and drill pattern. This I find very interesting. Do you guys think all the discussions on this board About Federer's racquet had any effect in Wilson doing this?

TokyopunK
12-03-2006, 12:37 PM
It is January yet?

Faber
12-03-2006, 01:38 PM
What is the benefit of the shorter pallet?

Lakoste
12-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Anyone know the stiffness of this racquet? I'm still looking for a worthy replacement to my Ceramic Sting SC, which has a flex rating of 47.

baros
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
it gives you a one handed backhand grip instead of a long two hander grip.

VGP
12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Great review of the K6.1 90 CC. Thanks.

Hypothetical: say you had a stack of PS 85s that are still very playable, would you hang them up for the new K6.1 90? Is it "that much" better?

OrangeOne
12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Anyone know the stiffness of this racquet? I'm still looking for a worthy replacement to my Ceramic Sting SC, which has a flex rating of 47.

Scroll back a few pages, all of the specs were there, and from memory that included the flex. The only thing i've seen that low is the Wilson nFury (50).

Lakoste
12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Scroll back a few pages, all of the specs were there, and from memory that included the flex. The only thing i've seen that low is the Wilson nFury (50).

Didn't see anything in this thread about it's stiffness, including the ads on the first page. All I read is that it is less stiff than the n90.

pham4313
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
lacoske...stiffness could be 63-65 but that's just my guess because craig said it is firm but not as stiff as the n90 which is at 66 stiffness

AJK1
12-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm happy with the sticks i have, but i'm gonna buy one for it's Federer sig alone. This racquet i predict will become more popular than the PS 85.

looseswing
12-03-2006, 03:09 PM
And now we have to wait a month for these frames! Damn, that review made me want one very badly. Dibs!:D

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I'll give you 1million dollars for that demo. Just tell the Wilson dude some street thug stole it. Yes you'll have to file a fake police report and everything, but it's a million smackers!

Thanks for review. I look forward to reading more.

SOLD!!!!

Just PayPal me the cash. The whole thing can be our little secret.

;)

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks, CC, for the review! Looking forward to more of it!

And $200, appx? That's a pretty hefty tag ...

That price is just an educated guess for a new frame, strung and delivered to you from the good folks at TW. :) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 03:19 PM
lacoske...stiffness could be 63-65 but that's just my guess because craig said it is firm but not as stiff as the n90 which is at 66 stiffness

My (educated by having hit dozens of frames) "Guess-O-Meter" says 62 stiffness, SW of 328.

There. I've put it on the line. Now we'll wait for the 'official' numbers.

CC

VGP
12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm just linking CC's other thread when he reviewed the nCode 90....

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=7956

Good read. Good insight.

psamp14
12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
CC you've certainly become a very popular and extremely likeable guy here on the TW boards...

federermcenroeagassi
12-03-2006, 04:00 PM
so CC, you prefer the K6.1 tour 90 over the PS tour 90 or the nCode tour90?

edit: nevermind, i read more throughly

pham4313
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
My (educated by having hit dozens of frames) "Guess-O-Meter" says 62 stiffness, SW of 328.

CC

stiffness of 62 might get us an impression of...'wilson prestige'...will be intersting to see. Pricewise, i think wilson will just keep it at $179 a piece or so just to move their mass inventory

armand
12-03-2006, 04:19 PM
SOLD!!!!

Just PayPal me the cash. The whole thing can be our little secret.

;)

CCHahah, Paypal, they'd take like a 30% commission!

CC, before you get onto your hit with the k95, let me ask you about the weight distribution of the k90 compared to the nCode 90. To me, the thing I didn't like the most about the nCode 90 was that it seemed like it had an odd weight distribution: it had more weight at 3+9 o'clock and the collar area, but it was light and flexible elsewhere.
It's difficult to explain, but there was just something about the n90 that made it swing unnaturally.

Don't know if you found that to be true of the n90, so could you compare just how the k90 and the n90 swing in comparison to one another?

paultran
12-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks For The Pictures!!! When Is It Coming Out In The U.s?

TokyopunK
12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks For The Pictures!!! When Is It Coming Out In The U.s?

Late January.

Faber
12-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I will have the chance to test one out in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait!

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 07:07 PM
The wikipedia page confirms what I thought. Carbon Black has been around for decades if not hundreds of years. The fact that it is "one of the first nanomaterials" and also that someone said these K racquets have "Wilson Nanotechnology" written somewhere confirms that a company can take an old chemistry/chemical engg process which used nano-sized particles, and claim they are using nano-tech.

Sorry, but your paragraph above doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If someone is using nano-sized particles, then THAT IS "nanotechnology". It's not a claim. By definition, that's what it is.

Just like if someone puts a computer chip inside your TV, then does your TV now use "computer technology", even though computer chips have been around for a long time? Of course, it does!

BTW, yes, the K-Factor does indeed say "Nanotechnology" printed on the side.

anirut
12-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Um... carbon black ... no wonder Wilson's calling it the K-factor ...

In printing, K is the code for "Black".

WhiteSox05CA
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I read elsewhere the release date would be about January 15th-20th. I believe it was on another thread about the K-Factor's
________
Act4sex cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Act4sex)

mrname
12-03-2006, 07:25 PM
As I posted elsewhere in TW BB, I also had a chance to with KFactor 90 on last Friday. I only hit against a ball machine and hit about 20 balls. I did not generate as much feedback as CC (thank you by the way for such a great review!). I -personnaly- thought it was very similar to n6.1 tour.
However, one thing I noticed: when I demoed n6.1 for a week prior, I thought the PWS area was larger and encompassed 5 crosses. I knew that the original PS 85 had only 4 strings over the PWS area (I should know this since I am playing with Original PS 85 for almost 20 years along with my Ultra II). After looking at the pictures provided by Craig, I realized that the new racquet has 4 strings over PWS. I do not know if this should make any difference but it is an observation.
When I hit with n6.1 tour, I thought it was a less stiff racquet than my Original. This new KFactor felt the same as n6.1. Then again I am not a pro nor an expert in racquet world. I just love to pound the ball.

Cheers,

MrName

ProStaff Original 85, Wilson Sensation 17, 66 lbs
ProStaff Tour 95, Wilson NXT 17, 66 lbs
Ultra II, Wilson Sensation 16, 65 lbs
Tour NGX Praghite Mid, some bad string, 60 lbs

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Craig, Thanks for the great review and pictures of the Ksix-one Tour and 95! It actually looks at the very least like Wilson is finally giving the consumer Federer's mold and drill pattern. This I find very interesting. Do you guys think all the discussions on this board About Federer's racquet had any effect in Wilson doing this?
Yes, I believe it did.

And my hounding Wilson over the years may have helped, too (along with a survey they sent to me last year asking me what my "ideal" Wilson racquet would be). :D

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 07:32 PM

CC

Craig,

Would you say the new K-90 is more flexible than all the previous versions, i.e., PS 6.0 85, PS Tour 90, and nCode 90?

BTW, excellent review, as always! :D

Sign me up for two!!! ;)

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
stiffness of 62 might get us an impression of...'wilson prestige'...will be intersting to see. Pricewise, i think wilson will just keep it at $179 a piece or so just to move their mass inventory
The nCode 90's MSRP is actually $200, but most stores tend to sell them at $179. With the expected initial demand for the K-90, perhaps the stores will not discount them at all and sell right at the MSRP of $200 (a guess) or even mark them up like car dealers do with hot new cars?

Let's just hope we don't get a situation like with the PlayStation 3 with people camping out in front of pro shops and at TW for days before its release. ;) LOL

WhiteSox05CA
12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
What kind of strings are these rackets strung with? I'm looking forward to reading about the 95, do you have both the 16 x 1 8 and the 18 x 20 stringing patterns?
________
BrigitteHunter (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/BrigitteHunter/)

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
CC, before you get onto your hit with the k95, let me ask you about the weight distribution of the k90 compared to the nCode 90. To me, the thing I didn't like the most about the nCode 90 was that it seemed like it had an odd weight distribution: it had more weight at 3+9 o'clock and the collar area, but it was light and flexible elsewhere.
It's difficult to explain, but there was just something about the n90 that made it swing unnaturally.

Don't know if you found that to be true of the n90, so could you compare just how the k90 and the n90 swing in comparison to one another?

Good point, adely!!

I'd like to know about the weight deistribution as compared to the nCode 90 as well.

textbook strokes
12-03-2006, 07:41 PM

That makes sense. Could you copare the k90 with the prestige Craig?.If they play similar, I think I'll stay loyal to my ncodes, as the stiff level and the power of the n90 seem perfect to me. Besides no fugly colours:grin:. Thanks for the great review by the way.

kerplunker
12-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Hmmmmm....the k95X seems very nice to me...very

ps 6.0
12-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you so much... I just wanted to say that.

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
What kind of strings are these rackets strung with? I'm looking forward to reading about the 95, do you have both the 16 x 1 8 and the 18 x 20 stringing patterns?

He only has the 16x18, 27 length.

abenguyen
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
man, this thread makes me want a (k)six-one 95 so bad... im so jealous man. how much did they cost you to demo?

WhiteSox05CA
12-03-2006, 07:57 PM
That's good I guess that he has the 16x18, that is the one I really want to get this January. I wished they were schedualed to come out sooner, so maybe I could get it for X-mas.
________
Sick From Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Also, great review, Craig !!! You just sold us the K sixone for wilson...now if you could convince them to make this racket under same ncode paintjob :)

You know what? The paintjob has already grown on me a bit! :)

I'd prefer it in matte black too, but really, it's not THAT bad in person. And the things plays like a dream.

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:18 PM
CC you've certainly become a very popular and extremely likeable guy here on the TW boards...

Thanks! I enjoy the interaction with other enthusiasts. It's a great game we play! CC

ClimbK2
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Any idea whether Wilson will have an 18x20 string pattern in the 95" version?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
so CC, you prefer the K6.1 tour 90 over the PS tour 90 or the nCode tour90?

edit: nevermind, i read more throughly

Yes, I do. It has a more 'cushioned' feel while still preserving a certain 'rawness' that allows one better feedback in play. Additionally, it is noticeably easier to generate spin with the K90.

This having been said, they are all great frames and each and every one would rank in my top 10 of all time. Some of you will undoubtedly prefer another in the line, but for ME, it is most definitely the K90 (assuming I am able to learn to serve a bit better with it, which I assume w/ time and patience I should be able to do-reference my DNX 9 experience!!)

Happy Hitting,

CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM

I'd prefer it in matte black too, but really, it's not THAT bad in person. And the things plays like a dream.

CC

alrighty...i guess we can all live with wives with personalities, cant we :) ...i cant wait to have a pair by my bed in addition to the ones i have now.
So Craig, lets talk economics....price is still firm around $200? will they be selling them in match pairs? say $360 a pair...fair price to quote?

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM

CC

As much as I hate to admit it the paintjob has grown on me from the pictures you have taken.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:26 PM

I will be very interested in the Babolat RDC flex measurement for the K90. It definitely FEELS softer in play than the n90 or Tour90. On the other hand, it could be the different string spacing that is creating this impression. Nonetheless, I would be VERY suprised if it measures over 65. My educated guess remains 62.

CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes, I do. It has a more 'cushioned' feel while still preserving a certain 'rawness' that allows one better feedback in play. Additionally, it is noticeably easier to generate spin with the K90.

This having been said, they are all great frames and each and every one would rank in my top 10 of all time. Some of you will undoubtedly prefer another in the line, but for ME, it is most definitely the K90 (assuming I am able to learn to serve a bit better with it, which I assume w/ time and patience I should be able to do-reference my DNX 9 experience!!)

Happy Hitting,

CC

I guess the 'cushioned' feel turns Sampras away from this racket. He would have liked it as stiff as his P.S 6.0 85

anirut
12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
CC: Flex 62, SW 328, 9 HL ... a perfect combo of your estimates!

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:31 PM

pretty close to the prestige except a bit stiffer and open string pattern will pocket the ball more thus more spin potential

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Hahah, Paypal, they'd take like a 30% commission!

I agree with you concerning the perception of a 'central' concentration of mass in the n90, although I did not find it to have an 'unnatural' swing. Still, I am happy to tell you that it feels to me as if there is a more 'even' distribution of weight in the K90, and that it swings more easily than the n90

I also think it is worth mentioning that despite whatever weighting changes were made in the lay-up, there is still that great 'plough through' factor that all true great player's sticks share evident in the K90.

Does that make sense?

CC

anirut
12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
CC, So you mean the K90 swings something the 80's racket? That kind of weight distribution?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Yes, I believe it did.

And my hounding Wilson over the years may have helped, too (along with a survey they sent to me last year asking me what my "ideal" Wilson racquet would be). :D

I am sure they monitor boards such as these with very large enrollment and regular readership amongst some of the most ardent and dedicated players/fans of the sport in the world. Think about it-if you were a business person and had access to free information concerning the thinking of your most valued customers, wouldn't you take time to make a note or two?? ;) CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Craig..maybe they distribute the weight from the throat out toward the handle and the hoop in a proportional manner while keeping the same HL balance at 8 or 9 pts

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Also Craig....are you happy with that set-up as is? Or would you lead up more? Any comments on string use? Tension? Or everything is just about right?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Craig,

Would you say the new K-90 is more flexible than all the previous versions, i.e., PS 6.0 85, PS Tour 90, and nCode 90?

BTW, excellent review, as always! :D

Sign me up for two!!! ;)

Thanks for the props on the review!

I am going out on a limb here, but yes it certainly FEELS and PLAYS as if it will measure as more flexible on the RDC.

FIRM, but NOT STIFF is how I would describe it. This is a characteristic some associate with 'Old School' feel, I do believe.

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Wilson NXT 16 at mid-tension (55# on the K90 and 56# on the K95).

I only have the K90 and K95 standard length on hand.

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:44 PM
That makes sense. Could you copare the k90 with the prestige Craig?.If they play similar, I think I'll stay loyal to my ncodes, as the stiff level and the power of the n90 seem perfect to me. Besides no fugly colours:grin:. Thanks for the great review by the way.

My first blush response is to say that the K90 is noticeably more powerful and offers WAY more 'pop' both off the ground and at net than does the i Prestige mid. Both are great serving sticks, but the K90 makes spinning the ball much easier (probably b/c of the more open string pattern). There are other differences, but I'd want to hit them side by side again before commenting. CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:46 PM
man, this thread makes me want a (k)six-one 95 so bad... im so jealous man. how much did they cost you to demo?

Cost to demo? $0. ;)

It pays to have friends in low places in the tennis world.

Best,

CC

anirut
12-03-2006, 08:46 PM
FIRM, but NOT STIFF is how I would describe it. This is a characteristic some associate with 'Old School' feel, I do believe.

Best,

CC

Thanks CC for that description. I love that kind of feel.

For now, until I get it, I think I've got to call it the D-Factor.

... the DROOL-Factor ... :mrgreen:

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
i assume clubs nationwide should have some of these sticks on hand...i might as well check out my club where it has been closed recently due to snow storms

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks CC for that description. I love that kind of feel.

For now, until I get it, I think I've got to call it the D-Factor.

... the DROOL-Factor ... :mrgreen:

this FIRM feel sorta reminds me of the RDS001 mid...it's firm but not stiff and it has the trait of the classic frames

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
alrighty...i guess we can all live with wives with personalities, cant we :) ...i cant wait to have a pair by my bed in addition to the ones i have now.
So Craig, lets talk economics....price is still firm around $200? will they be selling them in match pairs? say $360 a pair...fair price to quote?

I wouldn't touch that wife quote w/ a 3 meter pole!

As for the pricing, I really don't have any idea. I tossed out $200 for a strung frame shipped from TW purely off the top of my head.

Best,

Craig

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I guess the 'cushioned' feel turns Sampras away from this racket. He would have liked it as stiff as his P.S 6.0 85

I don't want to stir a pointless debate, BUT the K90 actually FEELS closer to the PS 6.0 85 than it does to the n90 to me. Now the MEASUREMENTS may be just the opposite, but that is how I PERCEIVE it. ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:53 PM

Hey Anirut-did you find the actual specs posted somewhere? I am REALLY curious after hitting it today. Best, CC

BounceHitBounceHit
pretty close to the prestige except a bit stiffer and open string pattern will pocket the ball more thus more spin potential

And that is PRECISELY how it plays!!! :grin:

pham4313
oh definitely craig...i was just talking on the stiffness side...about feel, sure yeah its a total different thing... i played the ncode and i think its smooth although muted feel

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
CC, So you mean the K90 swings something the 80's racket? That kind of weight distribution?

This kind of thing is somewhat ephemeral, and I am struggling to put it concisely into words that have meaning, but yes. The K90 swings more like the PS 6.0 85 than the n90, in my opinion. CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
And that is PRECISELY how it plays!!! :grin:

You know what Craig...maybe Wilson hasnt even measured to tested these frames on a standard fashion...they might as well take up our speculations here and post them for specs :)

anirut
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey Anirut-did you find the actual specs posted somewhere? I am REALLY curious after hitting it today. Best, CC

The numbers are your estimates mentioned in this thread. And I should think your estimates should be pretty close, esp for an able player like you.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Craig..maybe they distribute the weight from the throat out toward the handle and the hoop in a proportional manner while keeping the same HL balance at 8 or 9 pts

That sounds plausible, given the feel. Best, CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
This kind of thing is somewhat ephemeral, and I am struggling to put it concisely into words that have meaning, but yes. The K90 swings more like the PS 6.0 85 than the n90, in my opinion. CC

i guess it d be more tingly type of the P.S 6.0 rather than muted kind of the n90

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 08:59 PM
oh definitely craig...i was just talking on the stiffness side...about feel, sure yeah its a total different thing... i played the ncode and i think its smooth although muted feel

Agreed. This puppy is smooth but NOT muted. A dream! CC

pham4313
12-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Agreed. This puppy is smooth but NOT muted. A dream! CC

ohh gee...no wonder some people give the analogy that Federer's moments of winning wimbledon or other slames are just better than sex. It might boil down to the sensations of hitting winners after winners with the amazing sword:p

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Any idea whether Wilson will have an 18x20 string pattern in the 95" version?
Yes, they will.

pham4313
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
BP, have you hit with this frame? Any thoughts?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
The numbers are your estimates mentioned in this thread. And I should think your estimates should be pretty close, esp for an able player like you.

I am certain of the static weight and balance (I used a digital scale and Alpha 'Viper' balance beam to obtain the numbers) and pretty sure about the range for the SW. It is the RDC stiffness measurement that will be of greatest interest to me, because the frame FEELS so much more flexible than its predecessors. Nonetheless I know this could reflect a number of other factors, including the string spacing, weight distribution in the lay up, and the fact that this frame is strung w/ a more flexible string and at lower tension than that to which I am accustomed. Hope TW gets their numbers up soon!! CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Also Craig....are you happy with that set-up as is? Or would you lead up more? Any comments on string use? Tension? Or everything is just about right?

I don't think I'd lead it up. I do prefer a stiffer, 17 g string, so I would probably go ahead make my first string job a GAMMA TNT 17 at 56#. I've found this inexpensive string plays very well in the Wilson PS 6.0 family, and offers great pop, feel, and comfort. CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
i assume clubs nationwide should have some of these sticks on hand...i might as well check out my club where it has been closed recently due to snow storms

Hopefully in the next month, or so I am told. CC

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the props on the review!

I am going out on a limb here, but yes it certainly FEELS and PLAYS as if it will measure as more flexible on the RDC.

Best,

CC
You're welcome, CC! :D

It's great of you to spend the time to write that review and to patiently answer all of these non-stop questions that we're bombarding you with. I guess that comes with the territory of being the first to extensively test a brand new, very popular racquet. ;)

Speaking of questions, I've got another one: ;)

Would you say the weight distribution of the K-90 is closer to that of the PS 6.0 85 or that of the nCode 90?

I think one of the reasons that the PS 6.0 85 serves so much better than the nCode 90 is due to the much better weight distribution of the PS 6.0 85.

pham4313
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't think I'd lead it up. I do prefer a stiffer, 17 g string, so I would probably go ahead make my first string job a GAMMA TNT 17 at 56#. I've found this inexpensive string plays very well in the Wilson PS 6.0 family, and offers great pop, feel, and comfort. CC

Craig, this string is expensive :)

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Oops....sorry, I was skipping ahead and missed that you already answered the question about the weight distribution.

Thanks, Craig! :D

BreakPoint
12-03-2006, 09:23 PM
BP, have you hit with this frame? Any thoughts?
Only in my wet dreams. ;) LOL

Can't wait to actually hit with one after Craig's sumptuous review. :D

anirut
12-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Only in my wet dreams. ;) LOL

Can't wait to actually hit with one after Craig's sumptuous review. :D

Wet while salivating in your sleep, I suppose ... :mrgreen:

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Wet while salivating in your sleep, I suppose ... :mrgreen:

Yes kids, that is exactly what Breakpoint meant, no need to ask your parents. :mrgreen:

DarkSlayerX
12-04-2006, 03:52 AM

those strings are awsome!....i used them in a hybrid with my sppp (gamma tnt 17g in the mains and sppp in the crosses) and its a good all-around string :D

anyhow, i cant wait to get my hands on the k90....I'm currently looking for a racquet and I'm demoing the n6.1 95. Its good and all but i didnt get any good pop out of it...I have tried the n6.1 90 and personally i think the n6.1 90 is better but after reading your review CC, I might as well buy the k90 when it comes out. :D

P.S. Thanks for the review and the pics! that helped me decided on getting the k90 now!

HAWKEYE
12-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Will K90 be available in 4 3/4 grip size like n90?

KFwinds
12-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Wow - there sure are a lot of 5.5's (or is it 3.5...) out there looking for a new stick. As a 3.5/4.0 I'd like to personally thank you, Craig, for "selling" this stick to all the wannabes out there. At my skill level nothing makes me happier than to look across the net and see a guy with the latest Babolat or Federer stick - I know I'm in for a good day ;) The only thing more pleasurable than beating these schmucks is watching them fling their new $200 stick in frustration. You're a good man, CC

drakulie
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Wow - there sure are a lot of 5.5's (or is it 3.5...) out there looking for a new stick. As a 3.5/4.0 I'd like to personally thank you, Craig, for "selling" this stick to all the wannabes out there. At my skill level nothing makes me happier than to look across the net and see a guy with the latest Babolat or Federer stick - I know I'm in for a good day ;) The only thing more pleasurable than beating these schmucks is watching them fling their new $200 stick in frustration. You're a good man, CC

You associate a players skill level with the racquet they use?

sureshs
12-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Any technical reason why there is no K95 in extended length AND 18*20 pattern?

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 10:43 AM

Greetings KF,

As I read this response, I smiled because it would seem pretty clear you didn't read to the end of my review. I specifically cautioned folks against purchasing it without a demo, and recommended the frame for players at the 4.5 or better NTRP levels. (NOT that SOME 3.5's or 4.0's might not like it for reasons not necessarily associated with playing their best tennis, mind you. And frankly I see that as their business, not mine)

So sorry KFWinds......no Christmas presents for you in the form of 'Wannabes' all dressed up with their new K90 based on my review. You can always create a new screen name and write a review yourself. Then you could play it up as perfect for every player, if you think that will help. ;)

Happy Hitting,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Finally, a warning. My comments apply to folks who can consistently make solid contact with a 12.5oz, 90si frame. You know who you are. You are probabaly 4.5 or above, in good shape (because no one makes good contact is they can't get into position), and play LOTS of tennis. I don't want to be (even if only indirectly) responsible for a bunch of people dropping $200 bucks on a frame they are not going to be able to enjoy. So, proceed with caution and DEMO BEFORE YOU BUY.

As for you 5.0's out there itching for a new bat, just make sure you've got the spare cahs lying around before you hit one, because you are going to probably want TWO. ;)

Happy Hitting,

CC

P.S. K95 review tomorrow night-not enough time to hit with it today

Just a follow up on the post from KFWinds..................

CC

NoBadMojo
12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi Craig..if i may suggest, it would be best to include at least match play simulation in your playtest, as it's really pretty easy to stroke any frame <including a very demanding frame like this one> in a controlled environment with structured drills...the key is to play some points..play some games..play some TB's, do some drills where you've got to hit on the run and out of position, especially when using a very difficult frame like this one...try some ATP drills, Romanian Davis Cup Volley Drills, Injured guy drills, CC DTL, 11 7's, Open Court drills, etc with these frames, and I bet your opinion will be different especially since you've been saying here for a long time how you need something less demanding even at your 5.0 level..unless you think that in spite of this frame weighing every bit as much as the nCode90 <which is a real club> it is somehow easy to swing and has a large sweetspot. you're really making this frame out to be the second coming, and i think we all know, any improvement over the nCode90 <if any> is gonna be pretty marginal.... best, Ed

EDIT: My bad..i scanned your review initially and didnt note you did play some points...but still..indoors , med speed hardcourts, excellent lighting..lots easier to stroke a demanding frame well in perfect conditions like those...true test of a demanding frame like this one is outside, wind, sun, fast court or dirt w. squirrely bounces IMO.

maynardsson55
12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
As you guys probably have already figured out. This racket is apparently Feds exact Specs. According to my frriend at Wilson. He is trying to sell sticks, though. My feelings is that the weight may be different, but the string pattern, pallet size, etc. are Feds exactly. At least that is how they will market them.

Da One
12-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Craig's review was spot on. I had no problems managing the weight of the frame, everything felt so solid, all of my shots were heavy and accurate, and it feels so much like the Sampras it's almost scary, but in a very good way.

mileslong
12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
According to my frriend at Wilson. He is trying to sell sticks, though. My feelings is that the weight may be different, but the string pattern, pallet size, etc. are Feds exactly. At least that is how they will market them.
does anyone really know what feds specs are? i would love a side by side comparison...

federermcenroeagassi
12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Um... carbon black ... no wonder Wilson's calling it the K-factor ...

In printing, K is the code for "Black".

isnt that racist? the black factor... lol thats hillarius

BreakPoint
12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Craig's review was spot on. I had no problems managing the weight of the frame, everything felt so solid, all of my shots were heavy and accurate, and it feels so much like the Sampras it's almost scary, but in a very good way.

Da One,
What is your current racquet, just so that we have a basis for comparison?

How would you compare the K90 to the nCode 90 and the PS 6.0 85? Do you feel the weight distribution of the K90 is at all like that of the nCode 90 (i.e., weird) or closer to that of the PS 6.0 85 (i.e., classic balance)?

Thanks

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Da One,
What is your current racquet, just so that we have a basis for comparison?

How would you compare the K90 to the nCode 90 and the PS 6.0 85? Do you feel the weight distribution of the K90 is at all like that of the nCode 90 (i.e., weird) or closer to that of the PS 6.0 85 (i.e., classic balance)?

Thanks

Hi BP,

I think the weight distribution and balance is much closer to the PS 6.0 85 than the n90.

Best,

CC

alu16L
12-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Craig have you ever worked for Wilson and/or what kind of relationship do you have with them, or anyone who works for them? Thanks.

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi Craig..if i may suggest, it would be best to include at least match play simulation in your playtest, as it's really pretty easy to stroke any frame <including a very demanding frame like this one> in a controlled environment with structured drills...the key is to play some points..play some games..play some TB's, do some drills where you've got to hit on the run and out of position, especially when using a very difficult frame like this one...try some ATP drills, Romanian Davis Cup Volley Drills, Injured guy drills, CC DTL, 11 7's, Open Court drills, etc with these frames, and I bet your opinion will be different especially since you've been saying here for a long time how you need something less demanding even at your 5.0 level..unless you think that in spite of this frame weighing every bit as much as the nCode90 <which is a real club> it is somehow easy to swing and has a large sweetspot. you're really making this frame out to be the second coming, and i think we all know, any improvement over the nCode90 <if any> is gonna be pretty marginal.... best, Ed

EDIT: My bad..i scanned your review initially and didnt note you did play some points...but still..indoors , med speed hardcourts, excellent lighting..lots easier to stroke a demanding frame well in perfect conditions like those...true test of a demanding frame like this one is outside, wind, sun, fast court or dirt w. squirrely bounces IMO.

Mongo,

You are patently correct. The conditions under which I tested this frame were 'ideal' and probably do not accurately reflect those under which most will use it to play tennis.

To wit: I take a playing lesson from Ian on Monday mornings and today we were working on moving the ball around to 'spread' the court and create short balls in order to attack the net. This is NOT a 'hit and giggle' type of environment-I work hard and he PUSHES me. We both hit the K90 and by the end of the session agreed it felt 'incredibly good' (his words) but that the very small (relatively speaking) sweetspot might limit it in play. Translation: miss the sweetspot and cough up short balls which will be devoured by savvy 3.5/4.0's like KFWinds.

Now, I've read enough that's been written here to know I DO NOT want to get in the middle of any tired arguments about this point. So, allow me to say, it is MY EXPERIENCE (and I both honor and value the fact that yours may be totally, diametrically opposite) that frames like the K90 demand excellent skills, namely those TYPICALLY associated with more advanced players, to operate at their peak.

SO, DESPITE MY GENUINE, HEART-FELT AFFECTION FOR THE K90, AND DESPITE THE FACT THAT I WILL STAND BESIDE ALL THAT I HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT IT THUS FAR, ALLOW ME TO BE CLEAR: I am NOT certain I will make the change to the K90!!!!!!

Prior to Saturday morning, I found myself struggling to settle on one of three Volkls I dearly love, namely the DNX 9, Tour 10 Gen 2, or Tour 10 VE MP when suddenly (and totally unexpectedly) this beautiful instrument fell from the sky and into my hands. I felt I owed it to the other enthusiasts here to take it for a spin and report back. So I did.

In conclusion: give me some time with the K90 and I will post follow ups, including my ultimate decision as to whether it will become my 'main squeeze'. ;)

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Craig have you ever worked for Wilson and/or what kind of relationship do you have with them, or anyone who works for them? Thanks.

Wow.

No, I do not currently work for Wilson, nor have I ever. I am a physician.

However, I am friends with two professional coaches, both of whom have been at one time or another sponsored by Wilson. In fact, Tim has a Wilson contract right now, I think.

However this demo came from a local tennis specialty shop, NOT my sponsored friends.

You may also want to read what I posted in response to Mongo's (accurate) criticism of the circumstances under which I conducted the review.

Happy Hitting,

CC

BreakPoint
12-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi BP,

I think the weight distribution and balance is much closer to the PS 6.0 85 than the n90.

Best,

CC
Thanks, Craig! :D

Yes, I know that's your personal opinion, but as you very well know, the same exact racquet can feel completely different in two different people's hands so I was just looking for a second opinion since this weight distribution issue is probably the one that's most important to me (and perhaps to many others) as I believe most people did not like the weird weight distribution of the nCode 90.

Anyway, as a doctor yourself, I'm sure you understand the desire for second opinions. ;)

BounceHitBounceHit
12-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Wow.

No, I do not currently work for Wilson, nor have I ever. I am a physician.

However, I am friends with two professional coaches, both of whom have been at one time or another sponsored by Wilson. In fact, Tim has a Wilson contract right now, I think.

However this demo came from a local tennis specialty shop, NOT my sponsored friends.

You may also want to read what I posted in response to Mongo's (accurate) criticism of the circumstances under which I conducted the review.

Happy Hitting,

CC

I should also mention that I did not care for the K95 AT ALL and would not recommend it to others. CC