PDA

View Full Version : Spalding ATP Tour Stock 200 (Prestige mold)

Tennis Man
12-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I played with this racquet today, all stock, with the original Fairway grip and a bit of head tape around the head.

Well, I bought it for my collection b/c it's molded from PC 600. This is the HEAVIEST racquet I've ever held in my hands. Just holding it makes it painful :). Anyway it was very windy and cold and none of my other frames was HEAVY enough to generate a noce heavy ball. So I picked up this baby and ... swoosh, my playing partner is flying to the fence :)

I couldn't believe how nice this stick is. It generates a very heavy ball whether you serve or just hit from the baseline. You'd think the volley would be tough b/c of its weight but it was a blast. It's very stable and powerful by means of its weight.

Anyways, I just wanted someone who played with this frame to give some feedback, specs, etc. TY.

http://i12.tinypic.com/4bpk7ch.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/2wd63qb.jpg

OnyxZ28
12-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Specs were still on racquetfinder last I checked; from what I remember, 13 oz, 370 SW (!!!). The drilling pattern is different, so no CAPS, if you were wondering.

PrestigeClassic
12-03-2006, 12:58 AM
It's a beast. One other difference between the Pro Stock 200 and the Prestige is the Spalding is braided, which helps make it heavier and stiffer.

Duzza
12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
That is one beautiful mold for a racquet.

Davai
12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
It's really a super frame. The frame is great. It does pretty much everything superbly. The one thing that really surpprises me, in retro-spective, is how dense the 18*20 pattern is. However the weight is not neglible and in order to get what it was designed for, you need to hit the gym way more than I do.

Specs were still on racquetfinder last I checked; from what I remember, 13 oz, 370 SW (!!!). The drilling pattern is different, so no CAPS, if you were wondering.

Do you know where the pattern is different and whether CAPS would fit on the upper portion of the head?
I'm thinking that if CAPS would fit the upper portion then you can hybrid the grommets and have enough protection.

Tennis Man
12-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Another thing I noticed is that it seems to swing easier than LM Prestige despite of its weight and listed SW but plays so much more solid. I guess b/c of braided construction. Also, it seems to be be less HL less other Prestiges. I'm afraid that adding the lead in the handle will make it impossible to handle :).

Tennis Man
12-04-2006, 05:00 AM
Do you know where the pattern is different and whether CAPS would fit on the upper portion of the head?
I'm thinking that if CAPS would fit the upper portion then you can hybrid the grommets and have enough protection.

I also want to know that.

jayserinos99
12-04-2006, 08:59 AM
I bought a couple a while back and I never found a way to install CAPs on the thing; I don't think you can hybrid CAPs and non-CAPs since CAPs are 2-piece. Unless you want to go the single grommet route but cutting each grommet individually (which is probably the only way I can think of) CAPs aren't going to fit.

As for swinging the 370sw, I agree it was a beast but when I used it as long as I stayed loose and not try to force a whippy stroke, the ball plowed through like nothing I've ever hit with.

Davai
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I bought a couple a while back and I never found a way to install CAPs on the thing; I don't think you can hybrid CAPs and non-CAPs since CAPs are 2-piece. Unless you want to go the single grommet route but cutting each grommet individually (which is probably the only way I can think of) CAPs aren't going to fit.

As for swinging the 370sw, I agree it was a beast but when I used it as long as I stayed loose and not try to force a whippy stroke, the ball plowed through like nothing I've ever hit with.

Do you remember which part didn't fit?
I beleive it makes a difference if you try to fit the caps from the throat or from the head.

jayserinos99
12-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I never got to the point of trying to fit PC600 or iPresMid CAPs onto a Pro Stock 200 since the holes were spaced differently from the Prestige. But had I tried, I probably would have started from the head to the throat which is what I normally do now with the PC600 when I have to change grommets.

martinross
01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I just found one of these myself and was wondering:

String tension same as Head Prestige?

Grommet hoels look the same except maybe the lower part of frame...

Rafaello any more feedback on play with this one??

My Main frame:

Head Prestige 600 lead added to handle and 3 and 9 oclock but keeping original balance, total weight strung 375g, Babolat 122 VS Team at 53.5 lbs

Tennis Man
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I just found one of these myself and was wondering:

String tension same as Head Prestige?

Grommet hoels look the same except maybe the lower part of frame...

Rafaello any more feedback on play with this one??

I don't know about the grommet holes. I like mine just like they are. I love this frame. I was afraid to admit that I love it more than PC 600 b/c:

1) It feels more solid (must be the braided graphite)
2) It's heavier and thus, more stable and powerful
3) It needs virtually no customization on my part. It's "ready to wear" like in fashion
4) I love the PJ, too.

I got some hands on 2 prototypes/promos as well but they feel much lighter and are just dummies for customization that I will try to start soon.

So, this is just my 2c. If you decide to sell it, let me know.

Tennis Man
01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
deleted, a duplicate post.

PrestigeClassic
01-12-2007, 01:21 AM
I think the recommended string tension of the Spalding was 55-65 pounds, and I agree the frame could be strung a couple of pounds higher than the Prestige without it feeling too tight.

Those "prototype" frames sound very cool as the retail frame had a nice feel to it but was very heavy out of the box.

Tennis Man
01-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I started playtesting the prototypes yesterday doing a review for 2 strings TW provided, Wilson Sensation 16 and Head Fibergel 16. Then I played with my PC 600 for comparison. I will write a review soon.

Although they are molded after Prestige Classic, the feel is very different (maybe b/c they are much lighter, not customized at all, have Spalding square grip share vs Head's rectangular, etc). They are much stiffer and more powerful just like the retail version but much lighter (even SW). There is no much flex like in PC 600 and later Prestiges. I actually enjoyed a lot hitting with them and will hit more after adding some lead.