PDA

View Full Version : Grass Courts.

LttlElvis
12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Something was mentioned on a different thread here about the differences in Wimbledon grass and the old Australian Open grass. As far as playability, I never realized there was that big a difference.

So what were the differences between Wimbledon grass, the old Australian Open grass, and the old U.S. Open Grass ?

I know in recent years, the playing surface at Wimbledon has been slowed down, but is it that big a change ?

urban
12-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Natural surfaces tend to play differently. Look at RG, where the Court Central plays faster than the Court Lenglen. Also weather conditions change the playing conditions. For the grass courts, i can only point to the descriptions of former stars. They say, that because of the heat, the Australian courts (Adelaide is often cited as the best) were very dry and hard, with higher bounces than say Wimbledon. Forest Hill was often very damp and slippery. Wimbledon grass changed in the second week. Borg for instance had always problems with the low bounces of the fresh grass, and was in his element, when the grass had been trampled down, so that it played more like dirt.

Q&M son
06-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Something was mentioned on a different thread here about the differences in Wimbledon grass and the old Australian Open grass. As far as playability, I never realized there was that big a difference.

So what were the differences between Wimbledon grass, the old Australian Open grass, and the old U.S. Open Grass ?

I know in recent years, the playing surface at Wimbledon has been slowed down, but is it that big a change ?

Very big change... Nadal playing the final... twice???:(

Tony Sideway
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Very big change... Nadal playing the final... twice???:(

Agree, Wimby is every year slower it seems. That's why Rafa came into the final (and there's no other players wirh talent to face Nadal).

FO is every year more faster.

In a few years, in every tournament SF's will be with top 4.:evil:

krosero
06-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's an example of what the different speeds meant to those who played on them.

Australia defeated the U.S. for the Davis Cup at Forest Hills in 1939. Allison Danzig wrote in the New York Times:

At any rate, the Davis Cup will leave these shores in the near future on a 10,000-mile trip, and it may be years before it will be seen again here. There will be no future competition until the new world war is over (there was a four-year lapse after the 1914 matches) and even should hostilities be brought to an early conclusion, it is going to be all the more difficult to beat the Australians on their own courts, which are considerably faster than American turf.

jazar
06-15-2008, 11:41 AM
In a few years, in every tournament SF's will be with top 4.:evil:

hopefully it wont be quite that bad, but i do agree with what you are saying. all the surfaces seem to be playing more and more similar each year. its only a matter of time before all variety in both surface and style of play will be dead

PBODY99
06-15-2008, 01:42 PM
The Club in London changed the mixture of the grass over the years to slow the court down.