PDA

View Full Version : Why do you hate Lendl?

Pages : [1] 2

it was Just out
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I hate Lendl because he was a robot and the most boring player to ever play this sport. He just seemed evil.

I also hated him because he said he couldnt play Wimbledon because he was allergic to grass...turns out he was a big time golfer and was just afraid of losing again!

FitzRoy
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, I don't hate him. But if I did, my answer would probably be "because of his face".

SoBad
12-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I heard he kept some mean dogs around his house in CT and had them intimidate and bite hitting partners that came over.

SFrazeur
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Do I hate him? No. But he was a dishonorable player, you never aim to hit a ball through another player's chest......not even McEnroe's.

Polaris
12-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Why do you hate Lendl?
I don't. His drive to be the best, and to be prepared to work himself to death for it, was actually quite inspiring.

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I hate Lendl because he was a robot and the most boring player to ever play this sport. He just seemed evil.

I also hated him because he said he couldnt play Wimbledon because he was allergic to grass...turns out he was a big time golfer and was just afraid of losing again!

Evil and ignorant thread you started. Lendl was a better human being than Connors and ''you cannot be serious''. They made him out as evil. Boring? Great groundstrokes. Where did he say he was allergic to grass. Even nowadays you won't hear Ivan say anything but positive things about his peers and today's tennis. That was the case in the old days too. Don't confuse shy, arrogance, stoic (most topplayers are on court) with boring and evil. You are just here to mess things up.

OrangeOne
12-03-2006, 03:34 AM

I'm honestly not sure why I'm bothering to reply to such an ignorant post! Then I remember, as others have said, that he was an inspiration to me growing up and playing.

1. I don't hate *any player*, and with the possible exception of quite bad people (murders, etc etc), I don't hate anyone I've never met, anyone who's never done anything wrong by me. In fact, I pretty much don't 'hate' anyone - it just takes too much wasted energy. Sure, I think Nadal's gamesmanship is a bit annoying, and I never enjoyed watching Pat Cash win, but I don't 'hate' them.

2. Boring? No. Clinical? Yes. Exacting? Yes. Professional? Yes. But no different to any of the big-time players, agassi, fed, sampras... it's all a professional game. His game helped transform tennis into the power sport it is today! His forehand was brutal, he had a thumping serve, big backhand, and taught himself to Serve & Volley. He'd yell when he stuffed up, he'd argue with an ump for a bad call, he'd drill McEnroe at the net - none of which is boring.

3. Allergic to grass? Get your facts straight - this happened at the start of his career, not at the end. 1982, to be exact, and it was said tongue in cheek. He then slowly spent a chunk of the next decade dedicating himself to becoming a grass court player - back in the days of real, fast-grass. None of this "I'm a baseliner, I won't learn", he *dedicated* himself, hired Tony Roche, and made two consecutive Wimbledon Finals, followed by three consecutive semi-finals. The only three players he lost to over those five years? Becker, Edberg and Cash. He also won Queens by beating Becker in straight sets. This dedication was sure interesting for any fan, watching the struggle....

4. Evil? Ok. As you wish. He's now a family man with 3 or 4 kids, and spends most of his time supporting his daughters who play golf. Sounds evil to me.

vive le beau jeu !
12-03-2006, 05:36 AM
i don't hate him.

allergic to grass ?
like warriorroger, i think it would be surprising : he says what one of the things he's the most proud about in his whole career is precisely to have reached twice the wimbledon final ! ;)

i understand some ppl can hate him because of this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAPwx3z950&search=lendl
but he's certainly not the only one to do it !
Nb: we should make a thead with the best "player shootings" ! but as some say, tennis is still not a contact sport !!!
he was asked several times about it, and said it was logical for him to do this when it's the best way to win the point... because it's his job to win the points ! well...i wouldn't do the same thing, but if he's ok with his conscience like this...... :rolleyes:

and despite looking antipathetic on the court, it's said he was funnier guy offcourt, isn't it ? at least when i read his interviews, i enjoy his subtile sarcasm ! :p
+ he was an impressive champion : what a domination in the 2nd half of the 80's...

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 05:38 AM
allergic to grass ?
would be surprising : he says what one of the things he's the most proud about in his whole career is precisely to have reached twice the wimbledon final ! ;)

Nb: we should make a thead with the best "player shootings" !
he was asked several times about it, and said it was logical for him to do this when it's the best way to win the point... because it's his job to win the points ! well...i wouldn't do the same thing, but if he's ok with his conscience like this...... :rolleyes:

and despite looking antipathetic on the court, it's said he was funnier guy offcourt, isn't it ? at least when i read his interviews, i enjoy his subtile sarcasm ! :p

Why quote me?:confused:

vive le beau jeu !
12-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Why quote me?:confused:
ah sorry... i admit it's a bit confusing, but it's because i agree with you when you're surprised when he says lendl is allergic to grass !
i'll make it more clear. :)

better now ? ;)

Condoleezza
12-03-2006, 05:55 AM

Let me guess - you are an American?

Condi

Grimjack
12-03-2006, 06:17 AM
First off, the OP isn't the one suggestning Lendl was allergic to grass. Lendl himself said it, as an excuse for skipping Wimbledon early in his career. Simply google a combo of words including "Lendl," "allergic," and "grass," and you'll get any number of hits confirming this.

Second, there are many reasons to hate Lendl. He represents in both thought and deed the Communist/European threat to the American way of life. Like most East Euros, his upbringing left him an unblinking, hardline commie robot.

It was clear he harbored a hatred for Freedom (e.g., his attempted assault of McEnroe was clearly a shot at freedom of speech -- he hated Mac for his talent, artistry, and above all, for his freedom).

He lacked both personality and finesse, and made up for it with rigor and discipline. It made him hard for us (Americans) to love. He lacked the natural grace and talent with which we (as Americans) are imbued, but pursued in his own dogged way the mockery of natural talent which comes with endless slave-driven hard work. Once you've tasted genius, it's difficult to appreciate the rigors of disciplined craftsmanship. Effortless brilliance is so much more dazzling than hard work.

Instead of common pets, he kept vicious attack dogs. Instead of a good, mass-marketed Wilson or Prince racquet, he played with a Kneissl knockoff. Who can even pronounce that? The man wasn't simply un-American; he gloried in his differences, as if saying, "your culture is puny and weak, America." We didn't cotton to that. Give us personality, genius, and beagles every time.

Grimjack
12-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Oh, all that said, *I* don't hate Lendl. I'm above all that, even though I love freedom.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 06:27 AM
ah sorry... i admit it's a bit confusing, but it's because i agree with you when you're surprised when he says lendl is allergic to grass !
i'll make it more clear. :)

better now ? ;)

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh, thank you my hippo friend (avatar, not saying you are a hippo)

Thank you:p :mrgreen:

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 06:30 AM
First off, the OP isn't the one suggestning Lendl was allergic to grass. Lendl himself said it, as an excuse for skipping Wimbledon early in his career. Simply google a combo of words including "Lendl," "allergic," and "grass," and you'll get any number of hits confirming this.

Second, there are many reasons to hate Lendl. He represents in both thought and deed the Communist/European threat to the American way of life. Like most East Euros, his upbringing left him an unblinking, hardline commie robot.

It was clear he harbored a hatred for Freedom (e.g., his attempted assault of McEnroe was clearly a shot at freedom of speech -- he hated Mac for his talent, artistry, and above all, for his freedom).

He lacked both personality and finesse, and made up for it with rigor and discipline. It made him hard for us (Americans) to love. He lacked the natural grace and talent with which we (as Americans) are imbued, but pursued in his own dogged way the mockery of natural talent which comes with endless slave-driven hard work. Once you've tasted genius, it's difficult to appreciate the rigors of disciplined craftsmanship. Effortless brilliance is so much more dazzling than hard work.

Instead of common pets, he kept vicious attack dogs. Instead of a good, mass-marketed Wilson or Prince racquet, he played with a Kneissl knockoff. Who can even pronounce that? The man wasn't simply un-American; he gloried in his differences, as if saying, "your culture is puny and weak, America." We didn't cotton to that. Give us personality, genius, and beagles every time.

Total ignorant reply. It''s a shame you get to post so many post. Come to Europe with your fat belly and your patriotic bull ****. 50% of my family live in the beautiful California, none of them are as dumb as you. How can you even suggest to hate someone you don't even know. What natural talent did Connors, Evert, Capriati, and many more of ''only can play one one surface'' players have.

Condoleezza
12-03-2006, 06:57 AM

LOL, all that from a certified Seles whacko ...

Condi

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:03 AM
The fact is that Lendl was the most unloved player in the history of tennis.

Thats whjy he made the cover of I believe Sports Illustrated for the most boring #1 or something. It really hurt tennis big time.

Most people rooted against Lendl. He has this terrible "Karma" about him. He is so dark....sort of like Darth Vader.

Rafa's best friend
12-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Well you are still here, so he wasn't succesful. Federer should put his feet in your face for ten minutes.

I stoped listening to Federer troll about 4 days ago. thank you.......:p

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 07:14 AM
I stoped listening to Federer troll about 4 days ago. thank you.......:p

Roger will put his feet in your face

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Evil and ignorant thread you started. Lendl was a better human being than Connors and ''you cannot be serious''. They made him out as evil. Boring? Great groundstrokes. Where did he say he was allergic to grass. Even nowadays you won't hear Ivan say anything but positive things about his peers and today's tennis. That was the case in the old days too. Don't confuse shy, arrogance, stoic (most topplayers are on court) with boring and evil. You are just here to mess things up.

blah blah blah...Lendl still made the cover of Sports Illustrated for being the most boring player ever. Do you know any other player in the history of tennis that was ever given that honor??? I mean you have to be pretty damn bad to have that happen to you.

Tennis magazines tried to save him and show that he was a really nice guy and had a personality....they failed. Lendl was not human he was a Cyborg.

You mention Connors....well Connors showed emotion and fire. Connors was one of the most exciting players the game has ever seen..thats why people loved Connors. Lendl will NEVER get that type of admiration. NEVER .

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Let me guess - you are an American?

Condi

What does being American have to do with anything?

My favorite player is actually Nadal. And if you look at this board which comprises of mainly Americans....you will notice a love fest going on with Federer.

Lendl simply was not likeable. Thats not only my opinion but he made it to the cover of sports Illustrated just for having no personality. In the history of tennis has there ever been a #1 that was so devoid of any signs of a personality?

Mick
12-03-2006, 07:28 AM
hate is a strong word. I may not like watching some of the players but I don't hate them.

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:33 AM
hate is a strong word. I may not like watching some of the players but I don't hate them.

Ok.... do you like watching the robot? I personally would rather watch paint dry.

But you are right. Hate is too strong of an emotion for Lendl. He was so devoid of personality I think a better word is indifference. No one really cares about lendl.

omniexist
12-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah early on, I disliked his grim robotic style. But as with any player later in their careers I got to appreciate his professionalism and work ethic. Always did love how he'd try to end the match with an ace down the middle. Sort of the "coup de grace".

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Yeah early on, I disliked his grim robotic style. But as with any player later in their careers I got to appreciate his professionalism and work ethic. Always did love how he'd try to end the match with an ace down the middle. Sort of the "coup de grace".

I still don't think he was human.

Recently Mcenroe challenegd Lendl to a tennis match.

Guess what Lendls exciting comeback was?:

"Lets have a bicycle race instead"....OOOOOOOOO....good one Ivan!!!??

Even his name is cold. I mean no woman can get excited about a guy named Ivan. What is she going to say???....ooooo ride me like a wild bull Ivan. Or give it to me...Ivan. You just cannot get excited about anyone named Ivan. its almost as bad as Eugene.

In fact whenever I hear the name Ivan all I can think of is Ivan the terrible. Lendl was and is simply a disaster for public relations. He is as boring now as he ever was when he was on the tour.

Today even mats Wilander has shown signs of a personality. Lendl on the other hand still has the personality of a piece of wood.

Mick
12-03-2006, 07:54 AM

to his defense, Lendl has a back problem and cannot play tennis at the level that McEnroe is capable of playing. It was better for him to decline the challenge than to take it on, knowing that Mac would beat him 6-0, 6-0

Warriorroger
12-03-2006, 08:24 AM
blah blah blah...Lendl still made the cover of Sports Illustrated for being the most boring player ever. Do you know any other player in the history of tennis that was ever given that honor??? I mean you have to be pretty damn bad to have that happen to you.

Tennis magazines tried to save him and show that he was a really nice guy and had a personality....they failed. Lendl was not human he was a Cyborg.

You mention Connors....well Connors showed emotion and fire. Connors was one of the most exciting players the game has ever seen..thats why people loved Connors. Lendl will NEVER get that type of admiration. NEVER .

As if he's asking for it.

Condoleezza
12-03-2006, 09:33 AM
The fact is that Lendl was the most unloved player in the history of tennis. ....

In the U.S.A.

....Thats whjy he made the cover of I believe Sports Illustrated for the most boring #1 or something. It really hurt tennis big time. ....

"Sports Illustrated" being this jingoistic American sports rag?
Which called Steffi Graf the "most overrated sports person" ever?
And voted Sampras and Navratilova ahead of Graf in the "40 greatest tennis players of the last 40 years"? :D :D :D

....Most people rooted against Lendl. ...

In the U.S.
The same country that produced Connors and McEnroe ....

Condi

Condoleezza
12-03-2006, 09:34 AM
....You mention Connors....well Connors showed emotion and fire. Connors was one of the most exciting players the game has ever seen..thats why people loved Connors. Lendl will NEVER get that type of admiration. NEVER .

In America.
But who gives .... ?

Condi

Condoleezza
12-03-2006, 09:39 AM
What does being American have to do with anything?

My favorite player is actually Nadal. And if you look at this board which comprises of mainly Americans....you will notice a love fest going on with Federer.

Lendl simply was not likeable. Thats not only my opinion but he made it to the cover of sports Illustrated just for having no personality. In the history of tennis has there ever been a #1 that was so devoid of any signs of a personality?

I shudder at the thought what people like you might mean by "having personality" ..... (Wow, this Paris Hilton really has personality!").

Condi

vive le beau jeu !
12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
The fact is that Lendl was the most unloved player in the history of tennis.
don't underestimate nadal... he's on good track to take this title. ;)

sypl
12-03-2006, 11:13 AM

LOL! That was brilliant! The look on McEnroe's face is priceless. I think Lendl just became my favourite player ever!

oberyn
12-03-2006, 11:26 AM

I hope this is all tongue-in-cheek/satire. Lendl is hardly a poster boy for Communism. Among other things he defected to the U.S., made himself a ton of money, moved to Greenwich for crying out loud, and took up golf. He married a super-model and his daughters are now accomplished junior golfers. If anything, Lendl is the apotheosis of that mythical "American dream".

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I hope this is all tongue-in-cheek/satire. Lendl is hardly a poster boy for Communism. Among other things he defected to the U.S., made himself a ton of money, moved to Greenwich for crying out loud, and took up golf. He married a super-model and his daughters are now accomplished junior golfers. If anything, Lendl is the apotheosis of that mythical "American dream".

and why do most people not know that??? because no one cares about Lendl. He is really boring.

You cannot force people to like this guy. I will admit that maybe people don't hate lendl.....but no one really cares about him.

Don't you find it odd that someone with that many wins can't sell a biography like Mcenroe, Connors or Borg can?? The reason is no one cares about Lendl. he has zero personality. The man is a robot.

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 02:20 PM
don't underestimate nadal... he's on good track to take this title. ;)

The word hate may be a little strong to describe peoples feelings towards Lendl. I think indifference is a better word. No one cares about Lendl.

On the otherhand a guy like Nadal is the most exciting thing to happen to tennis since Connors! Whether you love or hate Nadal you must admit that he is exciting as all hell!

In fact Nadal is the type of player you either love or hate....while lend is the type of player you just don't really care about.

Polaris
12-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Delicious.:-D

OrangeOne
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
and why do most people not know that??? because no one cares about Lendl. He is really boring.

You cannot force people to like this guy. I will admit that maybe people don't hate lendl.....but no one really cares about him.

Don't you find it odd that someone with that many wins can't sell a biography like Mcenroe, Connors or Borg can?? The reason is no one cares about Lendl. he has zero personality.The man is a robot.

The word hate may be a little strong to describe peoples feelings towards Lendl. I think indifference is a better word. No one cares about Lendl.

On the otherhand a guy like Nadal is the most exciting thing to happen to tennis since Connors! Whether you love or hate Nadal you must admit that he is exciting as all hell!

In fact Nadal is the type of player you either love or hate....while lend is the type of player you just don't really care about.

You said the same thing 5 times in 2 posts. The exact same thing, FIVE times in two posts that followed one-another. Do you think if you repeat yourself enough, people will magically come to believe it?

AJK1
12-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Hate is such a childish word.

oberyn
12-03-2006, 04:49 PM

Well, if one followed tennis, his defection, move to Greenwich, and marriage were all pretty common knowledge while he was playing. Doesn't mean you were a Lendl fan, per se, just means you didn't turn off the t.v. or crumple up the newspaper when this information was being disseminated.

When did I try to force someone to like him? I just said that casting him as a poster boy for Communism was, IMO, incredibly inaccurate.

Don't you find it odd that someone with that many wins can't sell a biography like Mcenroe, Connors or Borg can??

Not at all. A McEnroe biography would [b]still[b] outsell a Federer biography in many markets, and McEnroe hasn't won a major since 1984. They'd both probably outsell Rod Laver.

I don't think these are things of which any of us should be particularly proud as tennis fans.

Nuke
12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Lendl had really bad teeth and gaunt cheeks in his playing years, and wasn't at all photogenic. The Dracula-like accent worked against him, too. He had a pretty dry sense of humor (the grass allergy, yet he spent missed Wimbledon time playing golf) that just didn't go over in the west. But he was a tremendous champion, and elevated the game. If he were playing today, his agent would get him an image makeover and he be a lot more popular than he was back then. Different times, though. The only endorsement I remember him doing was for Ben-Gay.

OrangeOne
12-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Lendl had really bad teeth and gaunt cheeks in his playing years, and wasn't at all photogenic. The Dracula-like accent worked against him, too. He had a pretty dry sense of humor (the grass allergy, yet he spent missed Wimbledon time playing golf) that just didn't go over in the west. But he was a tremendous champion, and elevated the game. If he were playing today, his agent would get him an image makeover and he be a lot more popular than he was back then. Different times, though. The only endorsement I remember him doing was for Ben-Gay.

Not a bad conclusion really, but then again, there are still players like Davydenko going around, and equally, while he may not have had much outside-sport sponsorship, I'm sure Lendl made stacks from Addidas and Mizuno, he led Mizuno's break into the tennis world, which maybe worked for a time? I don't know the stats on that one.

civic
12-03-2006, 05:43 PM
It is possible to be a fan of both Lendl and McEnroe, just not if they are playing each other..

Grimjack
12-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Proud to be a Lendl fan.

Why do you hate America?

Gut Reaction
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Proud to be a Lendl fan.

No one really cares. Lendl is the most boring player EVER!!!!

heres a list of the other 9 most boring #1's:

2. Lendl
3 Lendl
4 Lendl
5 Lendl
6 Lendl
7 Lendl
8 Lendl
9 Lendl
10 Lendl

AJK1
12-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Closely followed by Sampras

Mick
12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
No one really cares. Lendl is the most boring player EVER!!!!

heres a list of the other 9 most boring #1's:

2. Lendl
3 Lendl
4 Lendl
5 Lendl
6 Lendl
7 Lendl
8 Lendl
9 Lendl
10 Lendl

I am surprised Lendl still bothers you that much considering he retired 12 years ago . It's not like he is still playing :)

Phil
12-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Nice one:o ! LMAO...Let me add that whenever Lendl was playing an American and came to the net for the coin toss, he would declare, Ivan Drago-like,

"I vill cr-uu-sh you, and all zat you belive it...prepare ya-selv for total and utt-a humiliation, imperialist DOG."

civic
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
please ignore this post

galain
12-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Grimjack

I think I ruptured a tonsil laughing at your post. Brilliant! I'd nominate that for post of the year. Thanks mate - made my day.

christos_liaskos
12-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Don't you find it odd that someone with that many wins can't sell a biography like Mcenroe, Connors or Borg can?? The reason is no one cares about Lendl. he has zero personality. The man is a robot.

I would love to read an autobiography by Lendl. I think its a shame that his name gets mentioned so little nowadays in the tennis world and on forums like this, afterall the guy's achievements on court rank him up there with the greats of all time yet no one really knows much about him except for the occasional mention from tennis pundits.

Out of the autobiographies I would love to read I would rank Connors, Borg and Lendl as three I wish would release one the most. Further in the future I also look forward to Sampras and Agassi autobiographies.

m_b
12-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Lendl is a legend!

omniexist
12-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Different times, though. The only endorsement I remember him doing was for Ben-Gay.[/QUOTE]

I remember Lendl doing ads for Snapple quite a bit.

Breaker
12-04-2006, 03:13 PM
You said the same thing 5 times in 2 posts. The exact same thing, FIVE times in two posts that followed one-another. Do you think if you repeat yourself enough, people will magically come to believe it?

My "gut reaction" is that he doesn't have anyone caring about him- so he brings his inner hatred into this message board and releases it in random Lendl rants.

ChipNCharge
12-04-2006, 03:26 PM
My only problem with Lendl is that it seems he's completely turned his back on the game. Many players, when they retire, get away from tennis for a while but eventually come back to it in some capacity (eg: Sampras, Connors). However, it seems Lendl still doesn't want anything at all to do with tennis. It's as if he doesn't even like the sport any more. He's always talking about how great golf is and rarely mentions tennis, other than to remind folks that it ruined his back.

Gut Reaction
12-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Sheer poetry:

Originally Posted by Grimjack

Gilgamesh
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't hate Lendl. I don't see how you can hate someone you never met. As much as I don't like Bush's foreign policy I don't hate Bush. How can I? I never met him.

But Lendl was the guy people rooted against and he played that role very well. The guy was one hell of a talent though.

FedFan_2007
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
No true tennis fan can hate Lendl. You have to give props to(at the time he retired):

#1 in weeks at No. 1
5 YEC titles
8 Grand slams
8 consecutive US Open finals
record 19 GS finals
record 10 straight GS semifinals
3 straight years with 90+ win percentage

I know I'm missing many other records, oh and he created the modern baseline game and revolutionized training methods for tennis players.

FedFan_2007
12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Sheer poetry:

Originally Posted by Grimjack

So that's why Lendl settled in Greenwich, CT. Spare us the "poetry".

35ft6
12-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Most underrated player of all time.

Gut Reaction
12-05-2006, 05:49 AM
No true tennis fan can hate Lendl. .

Your right. Hate is too strong of a word for the robot....Lets just say no one cares. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Condoleezza
12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Grimjack

I think I ruptured a tonsil laughing at your post. Brilliant! I'd nominate that for post of the year. Thanks mate - made my day.

The problem is that Dumbjack didn't mean it to be sarcastic .....

Condi

Eviscerator
12-05-2006, 10:35 AM

:roll: :roll:

MaxT
12-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I like him.

A much better human being, not even in the same class, than the "thug", the "can't be serious", and the "forehand and a haircut." His only fault is he didn't self promote. This in the U.S. is a sin. Here you will have made it if you can give a public blow job or release a sex video and have it covered on CNN. Others don't count.

Gut Reaction
12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I like him.

A much better human being, not even in the same class, than the "thug", the "can't be serious", and the "forehand and a haircut." His only fault is he didn't self promote. This in the U.S. is a sin. Here you will have made it if you can give a public blow job or release a sex video and have it covered on CNN. Others don't count.

wrong..that person you call a "thug" had a personality while Ivan the terrible was robotic and gave off a Darth vader appearence.

It has nothing to do with self promoting. Borg, Fed, Sampras, Agassi are all pretty classy and quiet. The difference is that they do not give off the "evil" Karma that Ivan the terribble gives off. Where Lend is the "dark" champion guys like Agassi & Borg exude charm.

You are defending the indefensible...there was just something very dark about Lendl...and thats not my opinion thats what many people felt. Thats why he made the cover of Sports Illustrated. If this angers anyone then I'm sorry but thats just the way many people feel. that is a fact.

Mick
12-05-2006, 01:27 PM
...Borg, Fed, Sampras, Agassi are all pretty classy and quiet. The difference is that they do not give off the "evil" Karma that Ivan the terribble gives off. Where Lend is the "dark" champion guys like Agassi & Borg exude charm...

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."

-- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469 - 1527)

AJK1
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
If Lendl converted his 19 GS finals into more than 8 wins, we'd be talking very differently about him now. He was one of my favourite players, he revolutionised the game. He's enjoying his life with his kids now, and good luck to him.

MaxT
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
wrong..that person you call a "thug" had a personality while Ivan the terrible was robotic and gave off a Darth vader appearence.

It has nothing to do with self promoting. Borg, Fed, Sampras, Agassi are all pretty classy and quiet. The difference is that they do not give off the "evil" Karma that Ivan the terribble gives off. Where Lend is the "dark" champion guys like Agassi & Borg exude charm.

You are defending the indefensible...there was just something very dark about Lendl...and thats not my opinion thats what many people felt. Thats why he made the cover of Sports Illustrated. If this angers anyone then I'm sorry but thats just the way many people feel. that is a fact.

I know that is some, not sure it is a lot, people feel in the U.S. And I gave a a reason. The American culture just does not appreciate a quite decent worker.

And you call Agassi quiet? He is not the same as the other three.

civic
12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
i like Lendl

Gut Reaction
12-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I know that is some, not sure it is a lot, people feel in the U.S. And I gave a a reason. The American culture just does not appreciate a quite decent worker.

And you call Agassi quiet? He is not the same as the other three.

Look no matter what you say Lendl is just not a charasmatic person.

American love quiet hard working players. You don't like the Agassi example?? How about Federe...americans love him. How about Borg and Edberg?

There was just bad karma around Lendl. And its not only america...I mean how many Lendl fan clubs are there in Europe? There really is no chatter about Lendl.

You always see SAudi Arabia and paying for exhibitions of Mcenroe vs. Borg....but no one really cares about Ivan the robot.

Grimjack
12-09-2006, 02:42 PM
The problem is that Dumbjack didn't mean it to be sarcastic .....

Condi

You know, behind these scruffy good looks, this razor-sharp wit, and this armor of cynicism beats the heart of a tender, loving person.

Your hurtful pseudonym really stings.

joe sch
12-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Lendl was a selfish champion who did not give his competition much respect. This was also probably the reason he was soo successful. He also snubbed the press. These are not reasons to root for a player.

Grimjack
12-09-2006, 02:48 PM
What a Liar...there is no Czechoslovakia moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"What country are you from," is not the same question as, "where do you currently reside." It is entirely possible to be from a country that ceased to exist as an independent entity during one's lifetime. Especially in these troubled times.

And so I tip my 40 to you, my mother, my homey, my once-upon-a-time homeland -- Zaire.

Condi

ipodtennispro
12-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Bring back Lendl for the Seniors tour!

Watch him take down Mac:

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Headhunting.mov

ipodtennispros.com

omniexist
12-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, I think Lendl's persona was in part a calculated tactic. I think he realized early on that players will use any emotion expressed by their opponent to give themselves a psychological edge. Same with Borg. If you show distress or anger..usually the opponent will be encouraged.

Same with friendliness and respect (that is, too much respect)..ala James Blake. Lendl simply didn't want the opponent to feel too comfortable out there.

James Blake...his attitude makes me want to puke. Here's a quote..By the third set, even Blake was applauding some of Federer's winners.

"I appreciate the support you gave me when I was playing great, or when Roger was giving me a lesson," Blake told the crowd at Qi Zhong Stadium. "I'm honoured to be considered a colleague of his." -Yuck..have some pride man!

Check out what this Eagle football player had to say about Blake's sportsmanship:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_wertheim/11/29/mailbag/index.html

Familiarity breeds tougher competition..look at Roddick..he's chummy at times but maybe that can hurt him when he plays others...applauding the other player too much...Heh, Connors never had that problem..he'll probably cure him of it.

Of course we wouldn't want all the players adopting such a philosophy..or else we'd get a lot of Lendl clones.

Jet Rink
12-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Lendl, while one of my least favorite players of all-time (boring game, even more boring persona - in an age exploding with personalities), deserves credit for his slams - and for his work ethic. He was right there in the early eighties, getting hip to nutrition and balls-to-the-wall work.

Second-best tennis joke ever, circa mid-eighties: "An empty limo pulled up the grounds of the US Open and Ivan Lendl got out." :p

Jet

Condoleezza
12-10-2006, 08:45 AM
You know, behind these scruffy good looks, this razor-sharp wit, and this armor of cynicism beats the heart of a tender, loving person.

Your hurtful pseudonym really stings.

Sorry ....

Condi

Dashbarr
12-10-2006, 10:23 AM
i dislike lendl because he really didnt come off as the type of guy you'd want to be around. hell, even mac could be a fun guy to hang with if he argued all the time, but lendl was a blank slate. play well, play to kill, and play without regret. more of a robot than a tennis player if you ask me.

Gut Reaction
12-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Bring back Lendl for the Seniors tour!

Watch him take down Mac

Actually I am glad you brought that up.

You probably did not hear about it because no one really cares...but here goes.

Mac challenged Ivan the robot to a match.

Ivans response: "how about a bike race instead".....What a comeback...BRAVO LENDL!!!!!! pathetic.

The the reporter pushed Ivan and Ivan admotted that mac would beat him today!!!

Gut Reaction
12-11-2006, 10:04 AM
You are one bright bulb ....

Condi

and you lie.

civic
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Condi, Thanks for trying to defend me. Being called anti-American for saying I am a Lendl fan was quite hurtful as well.

Frank Silbermann
12-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I'll admit that Lendl didn't have a very pretty face, but I don't think Lendl was at all boring to watch. He had the most exciting forehand of the 1980s, and a pretty exciting backhand. If you want emotion, turn to a soap-opera; I watched to see tennis.

Now that's I've learned more about the players, I respect him all the more. Connors and MacEnroe were cheaters who repeatedly broke the rules when playing against lesser-known players because they knew they could get away with it. No tournament director would dare allow his main draws to be disqualified. For example, when a lesser player was playing really well, they'd throw a fake tantrum against a linesman so that the opponent would get distracted, lose his composure through irritation, or simply cool down and get chilled. A lesser player couldn't get away with exceeding the permitted time between points like that. No one really knows how spotty their records would have been had the rules of tennis been enforced fairly.

Lendl and Borg, however, earned every single one of their victories.

PimpMyGame
12-12-2006, 04:10 AM
It's as if he doesn't even like the sport any more.

He never liked the sport in the first place. He'd turn up on court looking like someone who had to drag their sorry *** into a dull job every day.

This guy really had a face like a bulldog licking p*** off a nettle. That's why people don't think as highly of him as the likes of Connors, McEnroe, Federer et al.

BTW I walked past him when visiting Wimbledon in '87 and he was just walking around with a Walkman on and a crazy blank expression...reminded me of a robot even then:grin:

Condoleezza
12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
He never liked the sport in the first place. He'd turn up on court looking like someone who had to drag their sorry *** into a dull job every day.

This guy really had a face like a bulldog licking p*** off a nettle. That's why people don't think as highly of him as the likes of Connors, McEnroe, Federer et al. ....

I don't think highly of Jimbo or Mac. Both were major a**holes compared to Lendl.

Condi

Gut Reaction
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I actually play at Lendls club here in Westchester. its called Grandslam .

Anyway, even when he is at the club he is a cold *****. No one talks to him...not the Pro's or the members. The man is just as cold as ice.

Now Mats Wilander is talkative as hell ...although when I have seen him at the club he was stoned out of his mind.

vivavincent
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
All players have their own style. Even lendl, Federer is very boring. He looks like lendl and ground stroke.

rasajadad
12-13-2006, 06:13 AM
I don't hate him, but that eye picking thing really skeeved me out!

icazares
12-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Even his name is cold. I mean no woman can get excited about a guy named Ivan. What is she going to say???....ooooo ride me like a wild bull Ivan. Or give it to me...Ivan. You just cannot get excited about anyone named Ivan. its almost as bad as Eugene.

In fact whenever I hear the name Ivan all I can think of is Ivan the terrible. Lendl was and is simply a disaster for public relations. He is as boring now as he ever was when he was on the tour.

Today even mats Wilander has shown signs of a personality. Lendl on the other hand still has the personality of a piece of wood.

Because of people like you, I'm not a frequent visitor of this web site anymore. Your stereotype of Eastern Europeans is way off. You should open your mind, By talking the way you do, all we can see is how ignorant you are, and unfortunately, that gives a pretty bad idea of the type of people around here.

swedechris
12-13-2006, 08:01 AM
i think why lendl 'turned his back on the game ' and never gave anything back is actually not that starnge.. the guy trained like a horse for many years to get max results form his discipline and effort for his talent shot variaety was not as strong ....then made success only to find that he was not that appreciated .. guess he got both burned out physicall y and burnt mentally also...like who does embrace something that doesnt like him / her.. not too many ..incl mr lendl

Dedans Penthouse
12-13-2006, 08:53 AM
I actually play at Lendls club here in Westchester. its called Grandslam .

Anyway, even when he is at the club he is a cold *****. No one talks to him...not the Pro's or the members. The man is just as cold as ice.

Now Mats Wilander is talkative as hell ...although when I have seen him at the club he was stoned out of his mind.

Howdy "neighbor." I've occasionally played on their "hard" courts. Three weeks ago I played on one of their 3 "bubbled" Har-tru courts and as far as indoor "Har-Tru" courts go, they were in great shape; very supple. I regularly play "up the street" (in the winter) at Armonk Tennis Club on Bedford Rd (Rt. 22; next to the Canyon Club).

I know of a "once-good" (now somwhat over-rated) French restaurant La Cremaillere up the street and Finch Country Store across the parking lot from Grand Slam. As for Ivan, you're right: Lendl is a stiff and guitar-playin' Mats is much more of a free spirit.

Sidebard: And this, icazares, isn't a put-down of Eastern Europeans in general--Lendl's just a dour, cold fish.

Don't know about now, but Lendl's friend and "art mentor," Vojtek Fibak used to play there a lot as well.

Kaptain Karl
12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I'd root for his opponent ... but stay for his post-match interview when he won. He had the greatest dead-pan responses to some pretty lame questions.

I still smile whenever I remember his reply to some dopey Reporter ... IIR, it was after a hard-fought 4-setter at the US Open.
Reporter: [Some blather about the importance of winning the Big Points, followed by] "What's the most important point in a match for you, Ivan?"
Lendl: [Looking at him as if the Reporter was an imbecile] "The last one."

... There was *such* a "pregnant pause" after that. Nobody wanted to be the next Doofus, exposed by Ivan. (I know, I'm weird. I still think it was a classic reply.)

- KK

Condoleezza
12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
i think why lendl 'turned his back on the game ' and never gave anything back is actually not that starnge.. the guy trained like a horse for many years to get max results form his discipline and effort for his talent shot variaety was not as strong ....then made success only to find that he was not that appreciated .. guess he got both burned out physicall y and burnt mentally also...like who does embrace something that doesnt like him / her.. not too many ..incl mr lendl

When "giving back to tennis" means blabbering as co-commentator on TV then I prefer former tennis players who don't give back ....

Condi

Condoleezza
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Howdy "neighbor." I've occasionally played on their "hard" courts. Three weeks ago I played on one of their 3 "bubbled" Har-tru courts and as far as indoor "Har-Tru" courts go, they were in great shape; very supple. I regularly play "up the street" (in the winter) at Armonk Tennis Club on Bedford Rd (Rt. 22; next to the Canyon Club).

I know of a "once-good" (now somwhat over-rated) French restaurant La Cremaillere up the street and Finch Country Store across the parking lot from Grand Slam. As for Ivan, you're right: Lendl is a stiff and guitar-playin' Mats is much more of a free spirit.

Sidebard: And this, icazares, isn't a put-down of Eastern Europeans in general--Lendl's just a dour, cold fish. ....

... who prevented U.S. stars like Connors and McEnroe from staying at #1 .... :D

Graf was a "cold fish", too. And she didn't "give back to the game" either!!
And guess what - from which country did the players come who lost the top spot to Graf .... ? :D :D

Condi

Gut Reaction
12-13-2006, 02:46 PM
All players have their own style. Even lendl, Federer is very boring. He looks like lendl and ground stroke.

Oh I agree...Fed is boring. And so was Sampras....he looked downright depressed. But there is a HUGE HUGE difference between Lendl & fed & Sampras or even Borg!!!

Borg for example was called the angelic assasin because he looked like an angel. Sampras and Fed also gove off the aura of being "good guys". Lendl on the other hand just has Evil Karma. There is something very dark about him...I can't put my finger on it. But out of all the #1's in the history of tennis I would have to say Lendl had the least product endorsements. Ever wonder why? Its because many companies just did not want to be associated with the evil one.

Gut Reaction
12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Actually Brad Gilbert said that was a strategic tactic of Lendls. it was Lendls way of delaying the game!!!!

I hated all the saw dust crap all over the place.

Gut Reaction
12-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Because of people like you, I'm not a frequent visitor of this web site anymore. Your stereotype of Eastern Europeans is way off. You should open your mind, By talking the way you do, all we can see is how ignorant you are, and unfortunately, that gives a pretty bad idea of the type of people around here.

Listen alter ego Condi,

I am actually Eastern European.

Gut Reaction
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Sidebard: And this, icazares, isn't a put-down of Eastern Europeans in general--Lendl's just a dour, cold fish.

Don't know about now, but Lendl's friend and "art mentor," Vojtek Fibak used to play there a lot as well.

Cool!!! Armonks a great club!! and one of the oldest in the area!....and by the way...I am Eastern European so therefore my image of Lendl has nothing to do with any sort of prejudice.

civic
12-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh I agree...Fed is boring. And so was Sampras....he looked downright depressed. But there is a HUGE HUGE difference between Lendl & fed & Sampras or even Borg!!!
Yes, all those players are boring. Tennis is just a boring sport.
There is something very dark about him...I can't put my finger on it. Maybe he's the apprentice of a Sith lord.

rasajadad
12-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Actually Brad Gilbert said that was a strategic tactic of Lendls. it was Lendls way of delaying the game!!!!

I hated all the saw dust crap all over the place.

He could have just tied his shoes. I know his opponents hated the sawdust all over the baseline.

As an aside, I used to go to The Volvo at Stratton Mountain in the mid-80's and watched Lendl practice/warm up a lot there. He hit more topspin off the forehand than anybody I've ever seen before or since (until Nadal.)

Gut Reaction
12-15-2006, 06:00 AM
He could have just tied his shoes. I know his opponents hated the sawdust all over the baseline.

Actually Lendls delay tactics wer ingenius. It was not as obvious as Macs.

In addition to the saw dust he would pull each eyelash out one by one forever!! Its truly amazing that he had any eyelashes left at all.

ilovecarlos
12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Forgive my shallowness, but I couldn't get past that goofy "legionaires" style hat with the flaps that he wore in the sun......rotflmao...look up goofy in the dictionary and there's a picture of him wearing that hat!!!

Gut Reaction
12-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Forgive my shallowness, but I couldn't get past that goofy "legionaires" style hat with the flaps that he wore in the sun......rotflmao...look up goofy in the dictionary and there's a picture of him wearing that hat!!!

That was really funny! I forgot about that. together with the wrist bands that went up to his shoulders...LOL!!!

Warriorroger
12-18-2006, 10:09 AM
That was really funny! I forgot about that. together with the wrist bands that went up to his shoulders...LOL!!!

Federer will put his feet in your face:mad:

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Did not read whole tread, but do you realize he became a citizen of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA? He became a citizen in like 5 years. HE LIVES HERE!!! You make little sense. The guy was just not flamboyent. He was stoic. He was probably raised that way...which is just different. Has nothing to do with living in Eastern Europe. You are a complete waste and you insult people from Europe with your narrow minded American attitude.

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:00 PM

What's your name? WODDY?

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I meant:
What's your name? WOODY?

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Most underrated player of all time.

what does that mean? No one is saying he sucked. Most if not all will agree he was the best player from 85-91.

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:06 PM

AGASSI!!!?? QUIET?????????????? Where you born 2 years ago?

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Look no matter what you say Lendl is just not a charasmatic person.

American love quiet hard working players. You don't like the Agassi example?? How about Federe...americans love him. How about Borg and Edberg?

There was just bad karma around Lendl. And its not only america...I mean how many Lendl fan clubs are there in Europe? There really is no chatter about Lendl.

You always see SAudi Arabia and paying for exhibitions of Mcenroe vs. Borg....but no one really cares about Ivan the robot.

You guys seem to forget something about Borg...he was more popular in Europe. Americans rooted for a guy like MAC (who is my favorite all-time) because of the disdain for Borg. Edberg? No one hated him, but he was not popular either. People like him for his game, but his personality was a wet sponge like Wilander, Borg, Lendl and Graf.

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:14 PM

This guy really had a face like a bulldog licking p*** off a nettle. That's why people don't think as highly of him as the likes of Connors, McEnroe, Federer et al.

BTW I walked past him when visiting Wimbledon in '87 and he was just walking around with a Walkman on and a crazy blank expression...reminded me of a robot even then:grin:

Did Lendl tell you that? Oh...that's right...he ignored you.

The man LOVED tennis.

Azzurri
12-18-2006, 02:15 PM

It was his CONTACTS. He stated that fact many times. They picked his eyes.

Gut Reaction
12-19-2006, 07:33 AM
It was his CONTACTS. He stated that fact many times. They picked his eyes.

I think thats a lie. Sort of like his allergic to grass thing was a lie.

The man was pulling out his eyelashes...that has nothing to do with contacts. In fact Brad Gilbert says that it was a purposeful delay tactic!

Gut Reaction
12-19-2006, 07:36 AM
AGASSI!!!?? QUIET?????????????? Where you born 2 years ago?

Agassi is a class act. Yes compared to lendl he is not quiet but compared to Mcenroe he is very quiet. Lets just say that Agassi is neither quiet or loud....rather he is just right. A real class act. On the other hand Lendl is a robot.

Gut Reaction
12-19-2006, 07:38 AM
The man LOVED tennis.

Well it sure did not look like it. And today he has done everything in the world to hide from the sport. If he loved tennis he sure as hell fooled everyone.

Mick
12-19-2006, 09:33 AM
You guys seem to forget something about Borg...he was more popular in Europe. Americans rooted for a guy like MAC (who is my favorite all-time) because of the disdain for Borg. Edberg? No one hated him, but he was not popular either. People like him for his game, but his personality was a wet sponge like Wilander, Borg, Lendl and Graf.

I admired Borg, Edberg, Wilander, Lendl, Graf, and McEnroe because when I watched their matches, I had the feeling they gave their best effort to try to win the match. I only dislike players who would phase in and phase out like Henri LeConte or Hana Mandlikova. Sure, they were great players but when under pressure, they usually would not play great the entire match and would come up short.

Azzurri
12-21-2006, 06:55 AM
I think thats a lie. Sort of like his allergic to grass thing was a lie.

The man was pulling out his eyelashes...that has nothing to do with contacts. In fact Brad Gilbert says that it was a purposeful delay tactic!

do you wear contacts? I used to (laser surgery fixed that). I used to get dry/scratchy eyes and I would pull my upper eye lashes over my lower ones (something I learned somewhere). This helped alleviate the annoyence for a little while. Lendl did not need a STUPID delay tactic. He was far better than anyone else during his dominant era.

Azzurri
12-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I admired Borg, Edberg, Wilander, Lendl, Graf, and McEnroe because when I watched their matches, I had the feeling they gave their best effort to try to win the match. I only dislike players who would phase in and phase out like Henri LeConte or Hana Mandlikova. Sure, they were great players but when under pressure, they usually would not play great the entire match and would come up short.

MICK...what is your point?

Azzurri
12-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Well it sure did not look like it. And today he has done everything in the world to hide from the sport. If he loved tennis he sure as hell fooled everyone.

notice the word is in the past tense LOVED. I loved golf at one time...was nuts about it. Now I hate it. Don't forget, he played pro tennis, not leasure tennis or for "fun"

Who cares if he was boring. You people seem to forget how much slack SAMPRAS got for being boring. I used to go nuts sticking up for the guy because I never thought he was boring, but most sports magazines and newspapers called him a bore.

Azzurri
12-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Agassi is a class act. Yes compared to lendl he is not quiet but compared to Mcenroe he is very quiet. Lets just say that Agassi is neither quiet or loud....rather he is just right. A real class act. On the other hand Lendl is a robot.

you must be around 12 years old. I have always loved Agassi, but he was not always a class act.

When he came out in 86 and had that "attitude" people did not think of him as a class act.

Mick
12-21-2006, 07:01 AM
MICK...what is your point?
My point is i don't hate any player that put out 100% to compete. I don't care what they look like or behave as long as they put out their best effort to play the match.

Kirko
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Do I hate him? No. But he was a dishonorable player, you never aim to hit a ball through another player's chest......not even McEnroe's.

exactly! he's kind of a coward. the way he won his 1st slam vomitting from almost being embarassed. I saw him play up close in Reno,NV in 1982 Harrah's Tennis "Shoot Out" against Vilas. Lendl the pretend bully nearly **** the bed in an exibition match.

altodds
12-21-2006, 09:41 PM
I never hate him, actually I considered him as one of the greatest player ever, he influence many players, but attitiude??? well, as a no.1 in the world on those days he's got a certain kind of attitude, I met him twice in Japan when I was still in the company which supports his wears and rackets

PimpMyGame
12-22-2006, 01:45 AM
do you wear contacts? I used to (laser surgery fixed that). I used to get dry/scratchy eyes and I would pull my upper eye lashes over my lower ones (something I learned somewhere). This helped alleviate the annoyence for a little while. Lendl did not need a STUPID delay tactic. He was far better than anyone else during his dominant era.

I wear contacts. They are very comfortable. If I was boring and hated tennis I might play with them like some boring bloke did in the 80s, what as his name? Can't remember, he was that dull miserable and boring.

sypl
12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I thought this was funny:
http://members.cox.net/chuxwords/IvanLendl.jpg

PimpMyGame
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
lol the robot that nobody cares about

Mick
12-22-2006, 01:11 PM

That Sports Illustrated magazine cover is pretty stupid because if nobody really cares about Lendl, how the heck did his picture appear on the cover of that magazine ?

Think about it.

superman1
12-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Obviously the editors of the magazine cared about him.

Azzurri
12-23-2006, 06:25 AM
exactly! he's kind of a coward. the way he won his 1st slam vomitting from almost being embarassed. I saw him play up close in Reno,NV in 1982 Harrah's Tennis "Shoot Out" against Vilas. Lendl the pretend bully nearly **** the bed in an exibition match.

Sampras puked too....what are you going to say about that?

Azzurri
12-23-2006, 06:27 AM
That Sports Illustrated magazine cover is pretty stupid because if nobody really cares about Lendl, how the heck did his picture appear on the cover of that magazine ?

Think about it.

Exactly. It was one idiot's opinion based on some people's perceptions. The guy was popular...period. He just was not Connors and Mac.

Capt. Willie
12-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't. His drive to be the best, and to be prepared to work himself to death for it, was actually quite inspiring.
While I was never a Lendl fan I too admire him for this. He trained harder and practiced more than any other player at that time. I also liked the argyle pattern adidas shirts. :)

Starlite
12-24-2006, 06:08 PM

Why does Sports Illustrated hate tennis? Sadly enough, they would probably do the same cover for Federer.

Gut Reaction
12-25-2006, 10:15 AM

I pointed out the cover before...but I guess as Agasi said:

IMAGE IS EVERYTHING

oscar_2424
12-25-2006, 04:54 PM

I personally think he was one of the best players of all time, nothing to hate about him

The Gorilla
12-25-2006, 06:08 PM
if he played today he'd be hugely popular,people were spoiled with wooden racquets and touch tennis,lendl killed that.People didn't appreciate his talent.

vive le beau jeu !
12-26-2006, 07:08 AM
I pointed out the cover before...but I guess as Agasi said:

IMAGE IS EVERYTHING
an advertising campaign that agassi regrets a lot... ;)

Gut Reaction
12-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Gut Reaction
12-26-2006, 12:15 PM

I also wore contacts and I also had laser surgery. I can honestly say that I have never found the need to pull each and every eyelash out of my eyelids throught out a match. Once in a bluemoon one may find the need to pull the top eyelid over the bottom eyelid for rewetting pueposes...but thats not what Lendl did. He would OFTEN literally pull his eyelashes OUT of his eyelid!!! Thats far different. Nice try though....you should think about law school!!!

I tend to agree with Brad Gilbert that Lendl eyelash pulling antics were simpl a game delay tactic.

The Gorilla
12-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I also wore contacts and I also had laser surgery. I can honestly say that I have never found the need to pull each and every eyelash out of my eyelids throught out a match. Once in a bluemoon one may find the need to pull the top eyelid over the bottom eyelid for rewetting pueposes...but thats not what Lendl did. He would OFTEN literally pull his eyelashes OUT of his eyelid!!! Thats far different. Nice try though....you should think about law school!!!

I tend to agree with Brad Gilbert that Lendl eyelash pulling antics were simpl a game delay tactic.

so is picking your arse clean and arranging your wtaer bottles obsessively,but people don't hate nadal,that's not why people hate lendl.

Gut Reaction
12-26-2006, 07:18 PM

maybe ...but this image really does say quite a bit...don't you think?:

http://members.cox.net/chuxwords/IvanLendl.jpg[/QUOTE]

Gut Reaction
12-26-2006, 07:20 PM
so is picking your arse clean and arranging your wtaer bottles obsessively,but people don't hate nadal,that's not why people hate lendl.

why do people keep saying "arse"?? is That an English thing?

The Gorilla
12-26-2006, 07:26 PM
why do people keep saying "arse"?? is That an English thing?

it's also an irish thing.Many people from the uk post on this forum.(www=world wide web)

Gut Reaction
12-30-2006, 08:26 PM
it's also an irish thing.Many people from the uk post on this forum.(www=wide web)

Oh I didnt realize there were any other countries besides the USA:) .

civic
12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
great post

Azzurri
01-02-2007, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Gut Reaction;1133902]I also wore contacts and I also had laser surgery. I can honestly say that I have never found the need to pull each and every eyelash out of my eyelids throught out a match. Once in a bluemoon one may find the need to pull the top eyelid over the bottom eyelid for rewetting pueposes...but thats not what Lendl did. He would OFTEN literally pull his eyelashes OUT of his eyelid!!! Thats far different. Nice try though....you should think about law school!!!

Too late...already graduated from law school in 98.

eunjam
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
i don't hate lendl. anyways, i WISH i could be lend in this situation:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040811/GOLF12/108110386

to have 5 beautiful daughters.....a hot wife......etc.

alwaysatnet
01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
To be surrounded constantly by six women? Be careful what you wish for.You will note how much time he spends with his German Shepards and on the golf course to be out of the house.I think he's a saint to live through all that.

intense2b
01-09-2007, 07:49 AM
i don't hate lendl. anyways, i WISH i could be lend in this situation:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040811/GOLF12/108110386

to have 5 beautiful daughters.....a hot wife......etc.

yeah wow!!! its a miracle how he cured his grass allergy! Maybe now he can play at Wimbledon in an old timers match? Oh yeah forget that because he already backed out when Mcenroe challenged him. Instead lendl offered to race him on a bicycle. weeeeeeeeeeeee.

kiki
03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
So that's why Lendl settled in Greenwich, CT. Spare us the "poetry".

Actually, Lendl is a " sleeper " spy from the mother russia who, in 20 years, will organize America´s self destruction, like Ames or so...

Mustard
03-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow. Major bump, kiki.

kiki
03-19-2011, 01:30 PM
what does that mean? No one is saying he sucked. Most if not all will agree he was the best player from 85-91.

I understand many american posters; they cannot imagine what being grown up in a totalitarian regime, that left no inch for self expression and freedom can make to you in your tenderly years.He had to strive twice as much to get adapted to the hiper competitive world of tennis and to him, his background made it almost impossible to understand the flamboyant personalities of a Mac, a Vitas or a Jimbo.Just look at his video where he narrates his chilhood in such an opressed atmosphere in local Ostrava.

Other eastern europeans come from a complete different background, if you compare Lendl with ultra extroverted Nastase, one has to bear into account that they are two very very different countries, with a very different cultural background.

I think Lendl´s atittude was much more of a self defence atittude towards a complete cultural clash than anything else.Of course, he was very very shy and his family was very very introverted.it is easy to attack him but...if, during your formative years, you live , let´s say, with a drugaddict mother and an alcoholic father, chances are you will have problems developing.It may not be a good example, but it may give some prospective when analizing Ivan´s shortcomings.

He felt much more comfortable with players from a very different cultural background than the US, he was on good terms with Ecuador´s Andres Gomez, who was a shy and very polite guy himself.

I almost always rooted against him, but, as years go by and you look at things at a different angle, may be, Lendl was not as bad...

kiki
03-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Ok.... do you like watching the robot? I personally would rather watch paint dry.

But you are right. Hate is too strong of an emotion for Lendl. He was so devoid of personality I think a better word is indifference. No one really cares about lendl.

To be a nobody that no one cares about, you are paying him so much attention...

Mustard
03-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Mecir was from Czechoslovakia, and he had a great sense of humour. He loved fishing and baseball.

ollinger
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Dig up some interviews of Donald Dell about Lendl. (Dell, the former Davis Cup captain, signed Lendl as one of his first clients for ProServ, his sports management company). Dell describes a warm guy with a lively sense of humor. As kiki notes, too many people here just don't understand people who grew up in eastern Europe in that era. Easy to see why Lendl was so close to Fibak, someone who could understand where he'd come from.

hoodjem
03-19-2011, 06:16 PM

I don't wonder why you were banned.

I like Lendl: great sense of humor, hard-working player, in the top-10 on my GOAT-list.

BTURNER
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't wonder why you were banned.

I like Lendl: great sense of humor, hard-working player, in the top-10 on my GOAT-list.

Personally,I love the way he hit the ball, on either the forehand or backhand - measured perfection with brutal force.

dennis10is
03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
He stole my milk money when we were kids.

He ran over my dog with his car when we were teens.

He stole my GF in our twenties.

He kids bullied mine.

I was supposed to play Mac at MSG but Lendl put himself in because he was the event promoter.

That's why I hate Lendl.

If you hate Lendl because he's a tennis player you watched on TV, live, and/or youtube, then that's a strange reason for hating somebody.

Datacipher
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Exactly. It was one idiot's opinion based on some people's perceptions. The guy was popular...period. He just was not Connors and Mac.

I don't know about "popular" LOL!!!

That was just one guy's opinion, and indeed, the press likes to paint silly stereotypes.

I don't think people didn't care...well the mainstream didnt.....for tennis fans...he was the guy you loved to hate. In that sense, he fulfilled a role!

A lot of the hate was underserved, but then again...he was plain unlikeable in so many ways: yes, the wimbledon skipping, but also his bitter/cold inteviews, his whiny behavior, his bully behavior....basically that came from his bad relationship with the press (let's say half his fault), and the fact that he was just a very very insecure man. Then again, that insecurity is also understandable given his background, not justified, but understandable. Mac and Connors, both their popularity, and their animosity to Lendl didn't help that at all as well.

In any case, there were a lot of things to dislike about Lendl...but then again...there's a lot of things to dislike about most 20 something tennis players!

Datacipher
03-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I understand many american posters; they cannot imagine what being grown up in a totalitarian regime, that left no inch for self expression and freedom can make to you in your tenderly years.He had to strive twice as much to get adapted to the hiper competitive world of tennis and to him, his background made it almost impossible to understand the flamboyant personalities of a Mac, a Vitas or a Jimbo.Just look at his video where he narrates his chilhood in such an opressed atmosphere in local Ostrava.

Other eastern europeans come from a complete different background, if you compare Lendl with ultra extroverted Nastase, one has to bear into account that they are two very very different countries, with a very different cultural background.

I think Lendl´s atittude was much more of a self defence atittude towards a complete cultural clash than anything else.Of course, he was very very shy and his family was very very introverted.it is easy to attack him but...if, during your formative years, you live , let´s say, with a drugaddict mother and an alcoholic father, chances are you will have problems developing.It may not be a good example, but it may give some prospective when analizing Ivan´s shortcomings.

He felt much more comfortable with players from a very different cultural background than the US, he was on good terms with Ecuador´s Andres Gomez, who was a shy and very polite guy himself.

I almost always rooted against him, but, as years go by and you look at things at a different angle, may be, Lendl was not as bad...

Kiki, I have written before, that Lendl's background does help you understand the problems he had. Having said that, it's not justification. The fact is, he was, AT TIMES, bitter, ill-spirited, a bully, a whiner....basically just a really really insecure man-child, in a pretty difficult situation!

Lendl definitely had a bit of a bad atittude at the time, and he made some things harder than they had to be...but...at 20 something years old, with the bizarre background of a pro tennis player, he was, in essence, still a kid.

BTURNER
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Never underestimate how expressing yourself in a second language idiom can complicate your life. Martina was often struggling because folks compared her clumsy press conference answers with Chris's innate diplo-speak in her native tongue and Martina was a polyglot of unusual gift. things are a hell of a lot harder without that intuitive inborn understanding of nuance in idiom and word choice particularly if the press don't like you much in the first place. If they like you they paint it as cute and funny and your accent as charming. Not happening with Ivan Lendl

kiki
03-20-2011, 03:50 AM
Kiki, I have written before, that Lendl's background does help you understand the problems he had. Having said that, it's not justification. The fact is, he was, AT TIMES, bitter, ill-spirited, a bully, a whiner....basically just a really really insecure man-child, in a pretty difficult situation!

Lendl definitely had a bit of a bad atittude at the time, and he made some things harder than they had to be...but...at 20 something years old, with the bizarre background of a pro tennis player, he was, in essence, still a kid.

I agree, Data, that he was unmature, a man behaving like a stubborn kid, and his arrogance was more a matter of insecurity ( as opposed to Becker´s tipical bavarian arrogance, for example).He managed press pretty bad, but many of the fault is due to the journalists.Since they were , most of them, from US, they over protected their stars ( yes, those very egocentrichal yet adored guys by name Connors,Mc Enroe, the angelical but also stubborn Borg...) and Lendl was seen somewhat as a robotic ****** came from the evil communist block.

I think, things got better when the US had completley lost the predominance of the game, that happening at the second half of the 80´s, tennis was an exclusive european club (Mats,Stefan,Boris,Ivan) while Connors was ageeing and Mac doing drugs anywhere else.That explains the overexcitment a guy like Agassi ( and later,Sampras,Courier and a bit Michel Chang) had for the american dominated tennis press.

Datacipher
03-20-2011, 04:45 AM
I agree, Data, that he was unmature, a man behaving like a stubborn kid, and his arrogance was more a matter of insecurity ( as opposed to Becker´s tipical bavarian arrogance, for example).He managed press pretty bad, but many of the fault is due to the journalists.Since they were , most of them, from US, they over protected their stars ( yes, those very egocentrichal yet adored guys by name Connors,Mc Enroe, the angelical but also stubborn Borg...) and Lendl was seen somewhat as a robotic ****** came from the evil communist block.

I think, things got better when the US had completley lost the predominance of the game, that happening at the second half of the 80´s, tennis was an exclusive european club (Mats,Stefan,Boris,Ivan) while Connors was ageeing and Mac doing drugs anywhere else.That explains the overexcitment a guy like Agassi ( and later,Sampras,Courier and a bit Michel Chang) had for the american dominated tennis press.

Well, maybe US dominance isn't good, but I do worry about the US slump. The fact is, the US really is "where it's at" especially for things like pop culture, and mainstream attention. Even though the boundaries of our world are increasingly disappearing (in some ways), the fact is....the game will be much healthier, and garner much more attention, if it has American stars to showcase.

And while I agree that the Agassi being an American certainly helped his initial hype...you certainly can't chalk it up to just that....anytime a guy comes on the scene playing a spectacular style that nobody has ever even seen (I can't even think of another modern player who has done that....maybe Mac) with crazy hair, denim shorts, good-looking....well he's a marketing dream...no matter where he's from. Sampras on the other hand, despite being American, always got the short stick from the press.

kiki
03-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Well, maybe US dominance isn't good, but I do worry about the US slump. The fact is, the US really is "where it's at" especially for things like pop culture, and mainstream attention. Even though the boundaries of our world are increasingly disappearing (in some ways), the fact is....the game will be much healthier, and garner much more attention, if it has American stars to showcase.

And while I agree that the Agassi being an American certainly helped his initial hype...you certainly can't chalk it up to just that....anytime a guy comes on the scene playing a spectacular style that nobody has ever even seen (I can't even think of another modern player who has done that....maybe Mac) with crazy hair, denim shorts, good-looking....well he's a marketing dream...no matter where he's from. Sampras on the other hand, despite being American, always got the short stick from the press.

I´am not anti-american, in fact, I´ve lived in New York and I appreciate many of the values and the tremendous importance that America has had.Sports is part of the popular culture, which is certainly, widely dominated by the US, and with it comes marketing and the money involved.As a tennis player, Lendl was quite a better one than Agassi, but his fault was he was not so marketable (same with Sampras, as you said).

In any case, tennis did not start with the US and the influence Australia and Europa has had is AT THE VERY LEAST as strong as the US.I don´t know if Assia will have any in the future, but in another post I have made a 3 big regional split where I´d rank the all time greats (Commonwealth,Americas and Continental Europe).

rkelley
03-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Realizing that I'm replying to a very old post, but I've got to say that I've never understood this thinking about not aiming at another player. Assuming this is a real match and you're playing to win, hitting at our opponent is a completely valid strategy. You hit serves and passing shots at your opponent to try and jam them. Heck it's a good strategy to hit ground strokes directly at your opponent and see if they'll move into a proper position to hit the ball of if they'll be lazy and try to hit without moving. You can get some free, weak balls that way.

So now if you're standing five feet away on the other side of the net all of a sudden it's not OK to hit at your opponent? If your opponent as given you a sitter a couple of feet from the net, and he/she is up there to volley, then they need to make a choice. They can stand their ground and try to take the heat, or they can get out of the way. Where does this idea come from that somehow you're obliged to try to hit away from them? Don't ask me to limit my shot selection because you've laid up a sitter and now want some charity.

Having been on the receiving end of this scenario do I like being hit at? No, not really. But I've really got no one but myself to blame. I'm the one that laid up the sitter. I think of myself as having decent hands so a lot of times I'll stand up there and let my opponent take their best shot. There's also a mental part of this because I'm standing my ground and daring the person to drill me. It's a great way to get someone to over-hit the ball. But if I really think it's hopeless, I'll move off court, turn my back or "take a knee", i.e. duck below the net, right before they hit the ball.

The only situation where I'd take issue with being hit at is if I've moved well off court and they take a shot at me. This has never happened to me, but if it did we've now crossed a line from playing to win to playing to injure. But like I've said it's never happen to me.

So all I can say to Mac is, if you don't want to be drilled, hit a better volley or duck.

Rich

kiki
03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Realizing that I'm replying to a very old post, but I've got to say that I've never understood this thinking about not aiming at another player. Assuming this is a real match and you're playing to win, hitting at our opponent is a completely valid strategy. You hit serves and passing shots at your opponent to try and jam them. Heck it's a good strategy to hit ground strokes directly at your opponent and see if they'll move into a proper position to hit the ball of if they'll be lazy and try to hit without moving. You can get some free, weak balls that way.

So now if you're standing five feet away on the other side of the net all of a sudden it's not OK to hit at your opponent? If your opponent as given you a sitter a couple of feet from the net, and he/she is up there to volley, then they need to make a choice. They can stand their ground and try to take the heat, or they can get out of the way. Where does this idea come from that somehow you're obliged to try to hit away from them? Don't ask me to limit my shot selection because you've laid up a sitter and now want some charity.

Having been on the receiving end of this scenario do I like being hit at? No, not really. But I've really got no one but myself to blame. I'm the one that laid up the sitter. I think of myself as having decent hands so a lot of times I'll stand up there and let my opponent take their best shot. There's also a mental part of this because I'm standing my ground and daring the person to drill me. It's a great way to get someone to over-hit the ball. But if I really think it's hopeless, I'll move off court, turn my back or "take a knee", i.e. duck below the net, right before they hit the ball.

The only situation where I'd take issue with being hit at is if I've moved well off court and they take a shot at me. This has never happened to me, but if it did we've now crossed a line from playing to win to playing to injure. But like I've said it's never happen to me.

So all I can say to Mac is, if you don't want to be drilled, hit a better volley or duck.

Rich

When asked by the press why had he shot straight at Mc Enroe, he answered: " Nobody asked him to come to the net".A true Lendl´s quote.

SVP
03-26-2011, 08:53 PM
When asked by the press why had he shot straight at Mc Enroe, he answered: " Nobody asked him to come to the net".A true Lendl´s quote. I always wondered why Mac didn't just jump over the net after being nailed by Lendl and just pummel Lendl for aiming at him. Instead, McEnroe just whined against Lendl for aiming at him. I'm a McEnroe admirer for his artistry. I know, some would people would say Mac would've been penalized if he had tried to take physical action against Lendl, but given that he was such an exalted superstar back then, would the tennis authorities really have kicked him out of the tournament? I have to believe that he was just a "wussy" when he failed to stand up against Lendl. "Wahwahwah he hit the ball at me." All of which supports my belief that most tennis players are wussies when it comes to physically standing up for themselves. All they seem to do is whine to the umpire. Jeez, man up (if you're a male tennis player) if you feel you've been wronged.

Datacipher
03-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I always wondered why Mac didn't just jump over the net after being nailed by Lendl and just pummel Lendl for aiming at him. Instead, McEnroe just whined against Lendl for aiming at him. I'm a McEnroe admirer for his artistry. I know, some would people would say Mac would've been penalized if he had tried to take physical action against Lendl, but given that he was such an exalted superstar back then, would the tennis authorities really have kicked him out of the tournament? I have to believe that he was just a "wussy" when he failed to stand up against Lendl. "Wahwahwah he hit the ball at me." All of which supports my belief that most tennis players are wussies when it comes to physically standing up for themselves. All they seem to do is whine to the umpire. Jeez, man up (if you're a male tennis player) if you feel you've been wronged.

While I'm all for "manning up"...(the internet is great for those would never do that isnt' it?)...Mac beating Lendl for hitting him at the net would make him look like the biggest ****** in tennis history. I wouldn't even mind somebody confronting another player for words they said...but not for something that is perfectly legal.

PS. What's with your obsession about tennis players fighting?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=286274

Everyone knows they aren't physically intimidating....

SVP
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
While I'm all for "manning up"...(the internet is great for those would never do that isnt' it?)...Mac beating Lendl for hitting him at the net would make him look like the biggest ****** in tennis history. I wouldn't even mind somebody confronting another player for words they said...but not for something that is perfectly legal.

PS. What's with your obsession about tennis players fighting?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=286274

Everyone knows they aren't physically intimidating....

1. My obsession with tennis players fighting- first of all, I am flattered that you would have looked up a previous post of mine. I consider this a badge of honor. Secondly, I find it interesting that in such a testosterone-laden sport like men's tennis, as well as the testosterone-filled comments on these boards, tennis players rarely back up their trash talk. This is one thing that has stuck in my craw all these years. Is it the cute little shorts that we men have had to wear traditionally? Men in cute little shorts would look funny pounding on each other I guess.

2. Your use of the term "biggest ******." I really must object to the term "******." I know that some have tried to differentiate the use of the term "******" by saying that "******" is okay to say in certain circumstances but not okay in other circumsatances. I don't think that African Americans would think that it's okay to say the "n-word" under certain circumstances but not okay under other circumstances. Couldn't you have used another word? Wow.

35ft6
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Most underrated game and sense of humor in tennis. Love Lendl.

His point patterns were kind of predictable and robotic, but I would argue that his ground strokes had a lot of flair. He was one of the first players to lead back with his elbow on the forehand, really whipping the racket head forward. If he looked like Lopez or Dolgopolov with those same stroke mechanics, I think people would have described his game differently. I mean, he didn't seem all that emotional or demonstrative on the court, but in many ways, people were projecting cold war stereotypes of the Ivan Drago type heartless super athlete onto Lendl.

OHAI
04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
When asked by the press why had he shot straight at Mc Enroe, he answered: " Nobody asked him to come to the net".A true Lendl´s quote.

That's AWESOME!

jrepac
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM

LOL! that's pretty funny and typical Lendl

hoodjem
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I always wondered why Mac didn't just jump over the net after being nailed by Lendl and just pummel Lendl for aiming at him. Instead, McEnroe just whined against Lendl for aiming at him. I'm a McEnroe admirer for his artistry. I know, some would people would say Mac would've been penalized if he had tried to take physical action against Lendl, but given that he was such an exalted superstar back then, would the tennis authorities really have kicked him out of the tournament? I have to believe that he was just a "wussy" when he failed to stand up against Lendl. Mac was defaulted out of the 1990 Australian Open: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z8IACYeL-c

So you are advocating that McEnroe should have jumped over the net and punched Lendl? Really?

There's a great way to settle a disagreement.

Tennis should not be hockey.

1970CRBase
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM

Lendl pegged ppl with the ball a lot in those days. So one time a player tried to get even (or Ivan) by pegging him back. Lendl just turned around and asked : "Is that the hardest you can hit me?" True quote.

kiki
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Lendl pegged ppl with the ball a lot in those days. So one time a player tried to get even (or Ivan) by pegging him back. Lendl just turned around and asked : "Is that the hardest you can hit me?" True quote.

true, dark Lendl´s sense of humour.It was so dry , so " acid" it´s almost brilliant...do you imagine how a discussion between Ivan, his wife and 5 daughters can go through if the whole family has inherited that sense of humour? ( not to count the 5 doberman involved )

hoodjem
04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I always admired Lendl's focus and concentration.

He was a bit dour, though.

kiki
04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
BTW, now came to my mind an incident back in the early 80´s at a very popular exo held in Barcelona, called "Europe vs America".When Ivan landed at the airport ( he used to play the Barcelona gran prix every year), he was bit by a dog and made such a noise about it, asking an urgent doctor to vaccinate him, he almost quit the event.It was a hot news on the papers, in an otherwise very torrid off court exo (Vitas,Mac,Panatta,Vilas,Noah aprtying crazy, Mayer also and Lendl going to bed at 10 PM )

Datacipher
04-08-2011, 02:53 PM
1. My obsession with tennis players fighting- first of all, I am flattered that you would have looked up a previous post of mine. I consider this a badge of honor.

It's not. It's not correlated to honor whatsoever.

Secondly, I find it interesting that in such a testosterone-laden sport like men's tennis, as well as the testosterone-filled comments on these boards, tennis players rarely back up their trash talk. This is one thing that has stuck in my craw all these years. Is it the cute little shorts that we men have had to wear traditionally? Men in cute little shorts would look funny pounding on each other I guess.

Yes, you keep mentioning that you think they are "wussy" etc. Not sure why you'd find this particularly interesting, as in many other sports/events/LIFE fighting rarely occurs, despite conflict and competitiveness. I'm not sure what you mean by "testosterone-laden", beyond a vague colloquial meaning, if that is the way you are using it, most highly competitive professional events are "testosterone-laden", and most do not result in physical-fighting.

In any case, as you admit, you are "interested" in this, but not sure why you would keep bringing it up. You already started one related thread which didnt' go anywhere, and I think the majority would say that jumping the net in this circumstance would be completely unjustified, and rather ridiculous.

2. Your use of the term "biggest ******." I really must object to the term "******." I know that some have tried to differentiate the use of the term "******" by saying that "******" is okay to say in certain circumstances but not okay in other circumsatances. I don't think that African Americans would think that it's okay to say the "n-word" under certain circumstances but not okay under other circumstances. Couldn't you have used another word? Wow.

Sure, I could have, but I didn't. Too bad. Not particularly interested in discussing verbiage. I think my meaning was conveyed sufficently to most: Mac would have looked like an incredible ****** had he done that. I think that's worse than looking like a "wimp" "wuss" etc.

Most people wouldn't have judged that as appropriate "manning up", they would have judged that as ********.

Sakkijarvi
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Lendl certainly was not an egomaniac, narcissist or jerk, like some others. He revolutionized tennis and sport by inserting a new work ethic, training and fitness into what a professional athlete has to be.

His character was just out of step for its time, when flamboyance was celebrated. He was your typical dry Czech. I find Berdych similar in nature.

I was at the US Open final in '85 and saw Landl just flatten Mac. Hah!

magnut
04-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Lendl was a true professional in a day were many tennis celeberities were turning into brats and crybabies. He was a very misunderstood player. He was a self made player that went from habitual choker to champion through hard work and dedication. He also always put his tennis first before money and fame. If he were playing today people would equate him to someone like Rios (who was also misunderstood).

kiki
04-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Lendl was a true professional in a day were many tennis celeberities were turning into brats and crybabies. He was a very misunderstood player. He was a self made player that went from habitual choker to champion through hard work and dedication. He also always put his tennis first before money and fame. If he were playing today people would equate him to someone like Rios (who was also misunderstood).

I agree partially on your Lendl´s description... but, what do you see special in Rios? how could you compare him to Lendl?

hoodjem
04-09-2011, 01:19 PM
He's also one of the first to raise the level of racquet fine-tuning technology to a higher level.

Wasn't he one of the first to use Bosworth--that's when his game really took off.

magnut
04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I agree partially on your Lendl´s description... but, what do you see special in Rios? how could you compare him to Lendl?

I only bring Rios up because he was very mishandled as well in terms of media coverage. Rios and Lendl were not the type of people you could throw money at and get them to smile and fake it to the cameras.

magnut
04-09-2011, 04:08 PM

I only bring Rios up because he was very mishandled as well in terms of media coverage. Rios and Lendl were not the type of people you could throw money at and get them to smile and fake it to the cameras. The ATP didnt know what to do with him. He was not marketed at all in the US, only South America.

SVP
04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Datacipher;5522733]While I'm all for "manning up"...(the internet is great for those would never do that isnt' it?)
Datacipher, I man up in my everyday life as I hope you would you do as well. When one multimillionaire tennis player calls out another multimillionaire tennis player player for deviant/untoward conduct, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that he/she extracts some respect from his/her opponent, and if he/she doesn't get it, the public should reasonably expect some just consequences.

SVP
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Datacipher;5559392]It's not. It's not correlated to honor whatsoever.
I am very hurt.

35ft6
04-12-2011, 02:29 AM
Lendl on Letterman back in 1986 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cIvEVHxnM&feature=related). Interesting when he talks about being 26 and how hitting more balls isn't going to make him a better tennis player, it's about becoming more athletic and fit.

chrischris
04-12-2011, 04:34 AM

I hate when people say they hate others. :). how about some nuances ? Dislike perhaps is useful.

adidasman
04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
So has anyone in all this mentioned Lendl's predilection for pursuing 14 year old girls? I never liked him much as a player, and then I heard about that; he dropped even lower in my estimation after that. His wife was about that age when she moved in with him, and he was known for going after very young girls before that; I seem to recall Tony Roche being concerned about Lendl going after his daughter at one point. You have to question the emotional maturity of a grown man who goes after little girls. Him being "un-American" never mattered to me; I always preferred foreign players anyway. And his distaste for McEnroe was actually enjoyable. But he was a cad, plain and simple.

J_R_B
04-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Why would anyone hate Lendl? Just imagine how hard it was for him to play tennis with a badminton racquet and be that good. I was always impressed with him.

li0scc0
04-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Why would anyone hate Lendl? Just imagine how hard it was for him to play tennis with a badminton racquet and be that good. I was always impressed with him.

Me too. And a 14 ounce badminton racquet it was :)

michael_1265
04-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Rich

Yes. If you can't hit at one of the best volleyers on the history of the sport, who CAN you hit at?

el sergento
04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Oh, all that said, *I* don't hate Lendl. I'm above all that, even though I love freedom.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.

Man, that was hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard since Team America.

What would you do...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17FBIoOJOhg

jrepac
04-12-2011, 09:48 AM

the "problem" with this is that Lendl did it too often, in too many situations. He pegged Vitas at least once, I remember. He never did it to Connors or Borg (tho' both probably came in on better approach shots!)

I compare it to a pitcher in baseball; these professionals have the utmost ability and control. It is very rare for the pitcher to "accidentally" hit the batter. Lendl could've gone for a variety of shots...trying to hit the guy in the head/face, really is pretty gutless. Legal, perhaps, but s#itty.

jrepac
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
So has anyone in all this mentioned Lendl's predilection for pursuing 14 year old girls? I never liked him much as a player, and then I heard about that; he dropped even lower in my estimation after that. His wife was about that age when she moved in with him, and he was known for going after very young girls before that; I seem to recall Tony Roche being concerned about Lendl going after his daughter at one point. You have to question the emotional maturity of a grown man who goes after little girls. Him being "un-American" never mattered to me; I always preferred foreign players anyway. And his distaste for McEnroe was actually enjoyable. But he was a cad, plain and simple.

Yes, this was brought up before; nowadays, the press would've skewered him in both directions for his preference for teen girls. Back then, I think he was given the benefit of the doubt due to the cultural differences in customs...

but, I always thought it was a little creepy...she was like 15, for godsake..

struggle
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
i liked lendl AND mcenroe. didn't bother me a bit when he rocked Johnny in the chest.

and for those who wish mac woulda gone across the net for a tustle with lendl, there's damn good reason he didn't.

lendl would have crushed him like a tired cigarrette butt.

he was damned funny too, much more honest and entertaining than the current crop, IMO.

SVP
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
So has anyone in all this mentioned Lendl's predilection for pursuing 14 year old girls? I never liked him much as a player, and then I heard about that; he dropped even lower in my estimation after that. His wife was about that age when she moved in with him, and he was known for going after very young girls before that; I seem to recall Tony Roche being concerned about Lendl going after his daughter at one point. You have to question the emotional maturity of a grown man who goes after little girls. Him being "un-American" never mattered to me; I always preferred foreign players anyway. And his distaste for McEnroe was actually enjoyable. But he was a cad, plain and simple. Wow. Never heard about those allegations regarding the 14 yr. old girls, but I'm out of the loop on those things. If he had gone after 12 yr. olds, he would have been venturing toward pedophilia territory. Going after 14 yr. olds is serious enough; it's called "hebophilia" but it's not as bad as pedophilia. These days 18 yr. old males are going to jail because they're having consensual sex with their 17 yr. old girlfriends in the States. But I think this is excessive.

"Emotional maturity" may just be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to sexual deviance. Some of these guys' wiring is such that they just get off on young girls (or boys). Maturity doesn't even enter into it. How many of us who are fathers of daughters would like it if an adult male, tennis star or not, paid undue attention to your 14 yr. old daughter? Poor Tony Roche- here was his prize student, Ivan Lendl, right up there in the hunt for No. 1, you're going to get the acclaim for being his coach, and your prized student is hitting on your young daughter. Makes the skin crawl, doesn't it?

I substantially agree with you addidas on your overall assessment of Lendl. I was born in America and I rallied around the flag after 9/11 but I admit I enjoyed it when Lendl decked Mac with a searing forehand. Yet people could never get behind Lendl the way they could with Borg. I guess Lendl was hampered by his poor front grill and skull face. Sorry, that's the way people perceive it.

li0scc0
04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Is this legitimate? I had not heard anything about this.

CyBorg
04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Lendl on Letterman back in 1986 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cIvEVHxnM&feature=related). Interesting when he talks about being 26 and how hitting more balls isn't going to make him a better tennis player, it's about becoming more athletic and fit.

If you nitpick enough you will find enough things that reinforce your dogma.

adidasman
04-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Is this legitimate? I had not heard anything about this. All I can tell you is that I recall reading stories about this at the time; I do know for sure that Lendl's wife Samantha was around 14-15 when they first became a couple, and I do know that I read that Roche was concerned about Lendl possibly pursuing his then-teenage daughter. Beyond that, though, I have no facts at my disposal. I'm just relating what I remember from articles I read in tennis publications or possibly books.

magnut
04-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow, It sounds like Lendl was a regular Errol Flynn with the ladies. Good thing it happened in the 80s. In todays wourld he would be bait for some 14 year old wanting to become an overnight millionaire through settlement.

Its not my cup of tea but I have seen some pretty mature 14-15 year olds going out with guys in there 20s. Sheesh, these girls are haveing babies by 14 in todays society.

I wont codone as I think its wrong. These players have a loy of quirks beind the scenes. Its best to admire them from a distance. Roche is a different class of people (as far as I know).

Great Uncle Bulgaria
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
There is another thread in which Samantha's age was discussed.

I would point out that she must have moved in with her parents consent and I doubt they would have agreed if they did not totally trust Lendl. Similarly Roche stayed with him for many many years.

magnut
04-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I always thought Samantha was pretty hot. I would have never believed she was that young.

I guess it doesnt really matter. They found each other at whatever age and are still happy. Knowing Lendl he probably liked to get them young and train and tweek them to his specifications. He is that methodical.

I hate to break it to you guys but there is a lot of stuff like this on the tour.

Even Rafter (one of the most genuine nice guys ever on tour) has some pretty wild stories about haveing female reporters invited up to his rooms for drinks to get the interview. Then again its Rafter. I dont think I have ever met a women that would not jump into bed with him in an instant.

jrepac
04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I always thought Samantha was pretty hot. I would have never believed she was that young.

I guess it doesnt really matter. They found each other at whatever age and are still happy. Knowing Lendl he probably liked to get them young and train and tweek them to his specifications. He is that methodical.

I hate to break it to you guys but there is a lot of stuff like this on the tour.

Even Rafter (one of the most genuine nice guys ever on tour) has some pretty wild stories about haveing female reporters invited up to his rooms for drinks to get the interview. Then again its Rafter. I dont think I have ever met a women that would not jump into bed with him in an instant.

Also keep in mind that Lendl came from a part of the world where arranged marriages were not all that uncommon...just a very different culture when it comes to "dating" and marriage

magnut
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Also keep in mind that Lendl came from a part of the world where arranged marriages were not all that uncommon...just a very different culture when it comes to "dating" and marriage

Yes I agree this is a big factor. Kinda like Rafter. Sex is very, very open in Australia. Even more than Europe and Asia IMO. Its getting that way in the States as well.

kiki
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes I agree this is a big factor. Kinda like Rafter. Sex is very, very open in Australia. Even more than Europe and Asia IMO. Its getting that way in the States as well.

Men/Women ratio is 7/1 down under, so figured it out¡¡¡

SVP
04-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Having female reporters, who are presumably of adult age, in one's room is way different from targeting adolescent (or close to) aged children.

kiki
04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Having female reporters, who are presumably of adult age, in one's room is way different from targeting adolescent (or close to) aged children.

Yes, it´s a completely different thing.

TennisMaverick
04-15-2011, 03:23 AM

Dude, it starts with juniors at Nats. 16 year old girls and younger, follow B's 16/18's all summer, all over, to every event. They ain't just watching tennis, and apparently, these girls' parents are OK with it. It has been going on since the '80s, when juniors started staying in hotels and stopped using housing.

What goes on at Futures, Challengers, and Tour events, in this day and age, with all of the bugs which are resistant to meds, is just nuts. But it is impossible to put the breaks on high test males with underdeveloped brain matter.

kiki
04-17-2011, 12:05 AM
¿Lendl´s friends in the tour? As far as I know, just Fibak, Gomez and Edberg.He also used to be fine with Scanlon, but maybe because Bill also hated Mac Enroe...

Great Uncle Bulgaria
04-17-2011, 01:49 AM
¿Lendl´s friends in the tour? As far as I know, just Fibak, Gomez and Edberg.He also used to be fine with Scanlon, but maybe because Bill also hated Mac Enroe...

A S African player - van Rensburg and Henri Leconte too.
To be fair how many friendships does anyone have in their workplace?

urban
04-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Today i read a long interview with Lendl in a German Newspaper. Best line: When his daughter came home with her first boy friend, Lendl said to him: "Hi, I am Ivan, and that's my dog."

kiki
04-17-2011, 08:10 AM

That´s true.And we don´t compete with each other for a title every week.We do on a more long time basis...

kiki
04-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Today i read a long interview with Lendl in a German Newspaper. Best line: When his daughter came home with her first boy friend, Lendl said to him: "Hi, I am Ivan, and that's my dog."

Great line¡¡ Has Ivan changed race of dogs, or is he still loyal to dobberman? I think, today, everyone goes beserk about Rotwailers.Rackets and strings trends have changed, so balls and courts...¿What about agressive dogs?

TennisMaverick
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Christo Van Rensburg lived in Great Neck BITD so it was an easy commute to practice in Greenwich.

pmerk34
04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Great line¡¡ Has Ivan changed race of dogs, or is he still loyal to dobberman? I think, today, everyone goes beserk about Rotwailers.Rackets and strings trends have changed, so balls and courts...¿What about agressive dogs?

I thought Ivan had German Sheppard's?

kiki
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought Ivan had German Sheppard's?

I really have no idea.I first heard about Dobberman, but it may well be German sheppards.But, you know, GS is a very nice race, not agressive but just very protective...while Dobberman are fitting in the Lendl´s mold...agressive, disciplined, and really, not nice.

lgbalfa
04-22-2011, 07:26 PM
he had a very boring game to watch.

Joe Pike
04-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Also keep in mind that Lendl came from a part of the world where arranged marriages were not all that uncommon ...

Yes, that's the way it was in Middle Europe in the 80s ...

Joe Pike
04-23-2011, 01:42 PM

What's a "dobberman" or a "Rotwailer"?

Some dok razes?

borg number one
04-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I never hated Lendl at all. He was largely a product of his childhood environment. See this video, ATP World Tour Uncovered: Ivan Lendl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2tFYVPbi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCqH7hJqRU
(How Lendl became a tennis pro.)

pc1
04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I never hated Lendl at all. He was largely a product of his childhood environment. See this video, ATP World Tour Uncovered: Ivan Lendl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2tFYVPbi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCqH7hJqRU
(How Lendl became a tennis pro.)

I liked Lendl and his game but I like players who I think hit the ball very well. Lendl certainly did that.

1970CRBase
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Pete was so clutch in his time, how often did we see him come out with three bombs down 15-30/15-40 on serve? I always wondered if his psychological toughness had anything to do with that time he stayed over at Lendl's house and was welcomed by his dogs. :p Apparently, young teen Pete was absolutely "terrified" of Lendl's enormous German Shepherds.

And then he beat Lendl in 1990 US QF.

kiki
04-30-2011, 03:33 AM
What's a "dobberman" or a "Rotwailer"?

Some dok razes?

Up to what I know, they are as much german as Steffi Graf.

Stuart S
08-11-2011, 08:06 AM
I didn't hate him, just didn't like him very much.

He was a bit robotic, always playing the same way.

He was always dour on court, was never very sporting to the guy on the other side of the net, and had an incredibly poor idea of PR (ie how to get a crowd on your side!). He almost seemed to wallow in turning a crowd against him (which he seemed to do frequently, esp in US).

So no, hate is the wrong word; I would never make a habit of watching his matches, even when he was up there at No1.

He won't go down as one of the games great entertainers.

Sorry, any Lendl fans out there, but that's my opinion.

pmerk34
08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I didn't hate him, just didn't like him very much.

He was a bit robotic, always playing the same way.

He was always dour on court, was never very sporting to the guy on the other side of the net, and had an incredibly poor idea of PR (ie how to get a crowd on your side!). He almost seemed to wallow in turning a crowd against him (which he seemed to do frequently, esp in US).

So no, hate is the wrong word; I would never make a habit of watching his matches, even when he was up there at No1.

He won't go down as one of the games great entertainers.

Sorry, any Lendl fans out there, but that's my opinion.

I concur with everything you said. Every emotion I ever saw of him on the court was negative.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I dislike Lendl MAINLY for what he did to Wilander in 1987, an exhebition (READ EXHEBITION) match against Wilander in Barcelona where Mats had somehow lost all his gear and had to borrow rackets and clothes from Lendl and Lendl beat Mats 6-0,6-0 in 53 minutes. THAT was the main reason to Wilanders 3 GS in 1988. That created a spark that later turned into an ocean of fire inside Mats

fhdowntheline
08-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Guys, the "Lendl" post has worked itself to 12 plus pages and 225 replies.
Dont know whats there to hate him? I think TT loves him!! As do millions of core-tennis fans who have "straddled" generations as I have.
Reticent, elusive, ultra-competitive? Yes. To me that sounds like quite a personality. Its just that media had to label someone as the villain of the piece. In my book, JMac was probably much more of villain, with his foul and uncouth behaviour. Merely having silken touch at the net doesnt work for me. Äs a sportsman, you've Got to be Serious !! :)

phnx90
08-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I think you spelt "Nadal" wrong

kiki
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I dislike Lendl MAINLY for what he did to Wilander in 1987, an exhebition (READ EXHEBITION) match against Wilander in Barcelona where Mats had somehow lost all his gear and had to borrow rackets and clothes from Lendl and Lendl beat Mats 6-0,6-0 in 53 minutes. THAT was the main reason to Wilanders 3 GS in 1988. That created a spark that later turned into an ocean of fire inside Mats

Lendl handing over Mats his rackets and clothes??? I just can´t believe it.BTW, I also seated at that match, and I enjoyed some gestures Mac did to Lendl at the same tournament

SusanDK
08-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Lendl handing over Mats his rackets and clothes??? I just can´t believe it.BTW, I also seated at that match, and I enjoyed some gestures Mac did to Lendl at the same tournament

The way I heard the story was the Mats' luggage didn't arrive, so he had to buy an off-the-shelf racquet from a local store, not use racquets from Lendl. It was after that exhibition that Mats, McEnroe and Jarryd plotted in a hotel room over beers how to dethrone Lendl from the #1 spot.

kiki
08-11-2011, 01:36 PM
The way I heard the story was the Mats' luggage didn't arrive, so he had to buy an off-the-shelf racquet from a local store, not use racquets from Lendl. It was after that exhibition that Mats, McEnroe and Jarryd plotted in a hotel room over beers how to dethrone Lendl from the #1 spot.

Didn´t know that story.But I always knew John was pretty close with the swedish troop ( may be he viewed them as part substitutes of Bjorn Borg, whom he keept saying was missing so much...)

krosero
08-11-2011, 02:02 PM
The way I heard the story was the Mats' luggage didn't arrive, so he had to buy an off-the-shelf racquet from a local store, not use racquets from Lendl. It was after that exhibition that Mats, McEnroe and Jarryd plotted in a hotel room over beers how to dethrone Lendl from the #1 spot.Now that is funny. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that meeting.

kiki
08-11-2011, 02:22 PM
However, it seems funny to me that Edberg and Ivan were pretty good friends, at the end.Of course, Edberg was the least " swedish" of all the swedish players...

Great Uncle Bulgaria
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Even with a borrowed/off the shelf racket, should not a world class player be able to win a couple of games at least?

Gizo
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Lendl might be the most 'mythical' player of the open era. Many of his good and bad attributes seem to be glossed over.

On the negative side, he had this reputation as a quiet robot, when he regularly argued with umpires and threw temper tantrums (the Canadian Open final in 1985 was a great example of this), once getting suspended for exceeding the allowable fine limit. He was almost as bad as McEnroe and Connors in this department. The biggest example of him acting like an ******* on the court was during his 1989 US Open semi-final against Agassi, when a ballgirl collapsed in-between his first and second serves, and he demanded another first serve because of the 'distraction'.

On the positive side, he was called humourless, when his press conferences and interviews were often very funny. If Lendl was on the tour nowadays, he press conferences would be just well received at Roddick's, if not more so, and he would be praised as one of the few entertaining personalities on the tour. When he played, press conferences at non-slam events were not widely reported or published, so his interviews went unnoticed. Nowadays you can access a high profile player's interview transcript following 1st round matches at San Jose or Washington.

NLBwell
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I always liked Lendl.

BTURNER
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
It's possible that we in the west do not understand Ivan. Maybe aspects of his character and personality are more intuitively understood by Czecks who were raised behind the iron curtain. Not that they mimic his traits, but that they understand him and know people like him.

juanparty
08-11-2011, 05:48 PM
i love Lendl! hated Mac and Connors!

Tshooter
08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
"On the positive side, he was called humourless, when his press conferences and interviews were often very funny."

Anyone that actually watched Lendl back in the day knows he was very funny. Initially he was shy and his English wasn't great.

Once he got better at English his personality came out. If people thought he was robotic it was his game not his personality.

I saw him play both his matches the first year he played at the USO. I remember the Van Patten match well (he hit VVP in the head with a short ball as Lendl was apt to do to players). And I also remember the match against Tanner. It was a night match. And Lendl came out wearing black sneakers and no one wore black sneakers back then. And he had a heck of a forehand (and not much else at the time). And though Tanner killed him you knew you saw someone special.

Nadal_Power
08-12-2011, 01:48 AM

Whan an amazing reason for dislike.. bravo

kiki
08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Lendl might be the most 'mythical' player of the open era. Many of his good and bad attributes seem to be glossed over.

On the negative side, he had this reputation as a quiet robot, when he regularly argued with umpires and threw temper tantrums (the Canadian Open final in 1985 was a great example of this), once getting suspended for exceeding the allowable fine limit. He was almost as bad as McEnroe and Connors in this department. The biggest example of him acting like an ******* on the court was during his 1989 US Open semi-final against Agassi, when a ballgirl collapsed in-between his first and second serves, and he demanded another first serve because of the 'distraction'.

On the positive side, he was called humourless, when his press conferences and interviews were often very funny. If Lendl was on the tour nowadays, he press conferences would be just well received at Roddick's, if not more so, and he would be praised as one of the few entertaining personalities on the tour. When he played, press conferences at non-slam events were not widely reported or published, so his interviews went unnoticed. Nowadays you can access a high profile player's interview transcript following 1st round matches at San Jose or Washington.

That proves that we are under a very boooooring era, while Lendl lived in the best decade of tennis ( 1975-1985).Even the most boring character of that era (Lendl), would sound like a rock ´n roll star in today´s era....

kiki
08-12-2011, 03:30 AM
"On the positive side, he was called humourless, when his press conferences and interviews were often very funny."

Anyone that actually watched Lendl back in the day knows he was very funny. Initially he was shy and his English wasn't great.

Once he got better at English his personality came out. If people thought he was robotic it was his game not his personality.

I saw him play both his matches the first year he played at the USO. I remember the Van Patten match well (he hit VVP in the head with a short ball as Lendl was apt to do to players). And I also remember the match against Tanner. It was a night match. And Lendl came out wearing black sneakers and no one wore black sneakers back then. And he had a heck of a forehand (and not much else at the time). And though Tanner killed him you knew you saw someone special.

Lendl vs Tanner is a nice match up, if both are at their peak...

Stuart S
08-12-2011, 03:43 AM

I'm no great fan of Lendl, as my earlier post will show. However, I don't quite get your point here. Lendl didn't steal Wilander's kit, did he? So Lendl double-bagled him in an exhibition match; so what? What was he supposed to do? Give him a set to make it look respectable? Or are you saying that's what you're actually supposed to do in exhibition matches?

pmerk34
08-12-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm no great fan of Lendl, as my earlier post will show. However, I don't quite get your point here. Lendl didn't steal Wilander's kit, did he? So Lendl double-bagled him in an exhibition match; so what? What was he supposed to do? Give him a set to make it look respectable? Or are you saying that's what you're actually supposed to do in exhibition matches?

Yes exhibitions are supposed to entertain and it's understood that you aren't supposed to try and bludgeon the opponent.

suwanee4712
08-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I never hated Lendl. I remember Sampras saying that he watched the 1982 US Open final and everyone was rooting for Connors so he wanted Lendl to win. That's sort of the the same way I felt. But over time Lendl's arrogance turned a lot of people off. I also think that the media's negative perception of Eastern European players in the 70's and 80's convinced a lot of those players that it didn't really matter what they said or did they were going to be dismissed as "commies" anyway.

I used to think that it was funny that Connors and many others would call Lendl a "commie" when in fact Lendl was and is an ardent right wing Republican that refers to Democrats like Mac as socialists.

TennisLovaLova
08-12-2011, 07:41 AM
American TV hated Lendl.
Why? Guess who made the US OPEN finals 8 years in a row? From 82 to 89...
our friend Ivan

That's why they sais they were bored to see him play

Mustard
08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
I love watching Connors beat Lendl in those US Open finals of 1982 and 1983. Vintage Connors :)

Gizo
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
That proves that we are under a very boooooring era, while Lendl lived in the best decade of tennis ( 1975-1985).Even the most boring character of that era (Lendl), would sound like a rock ´n roll star in today´s era....

I agree that personality-wise (but not tennis-wise) that the current era is boring. In the 80s Lendl was criticised for being emotionless and boring. However if he played in the current era, he would its big personality, and a much bigger celebrity and household name than he was in his own era. People would say that the most of the rest of the ATP was so boring compared to Lendl.

His press conferences would be the most well received and many people would love him for being so funny. However many people would criticise him for getting so many code violations (he got far more code violations than the likes of Roddick or Safin) and throwing temper tantrums.

kiki
08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I agree that personality-wise (but not tennis-wise) that the current era is boring. In the 80s Lendl was criticised for being emotionless and boring. However if he played in the current era, he would its big personality, and a much bigger celebrity and household name than he was in his own era. People would say that the most of the rest of the ATP was so boring compared to Lendl.

His press conferences would be the most well received and many people would love him for being so funny. However many people would criticise him for getting so many code violations (he got far more code violations than the likes of Roddick or Safin) and throwing temper tantrums.

I also menat tennis-wise.They all look the same, except Federer ( and still some times he plays like the rest,too).

Lendl´s sarcastic sense of humour was very " eastern european".It was very different from Nastase but, then again, Romania is a very particular country in eastern europe.

One thing you could felt in those cold war eras was the hate and fight.Lendl not only heated JMac and Connors, but also hated Becker ( which is due to history and also the arrogance of both of them).

Mustard
08-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Becker had Lendl's number, big time, when it mattered most. Becker beat Lendl in a Wimbledon final, a Masters final, a US Open final, an Australian Open final and 2 Wimbledon semi finals. That's a lot of big matches.

pmerk34
08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Becker had Lendl's number, big time, when it mattered most. Becker beat Lendl in a Wimbledon final, a Masters final, a US Open final, an Australian Open final and 2 Wimbledon semi finals. That's a lot of big matches.

Because Boris could overpower him both with his serve and off the ground

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Really stupid and ignorant post. The no 1 and no 2 in the world were supposed to entertain the crowd. What do you think people would say about Federer if he double-bageled Nadal in an exo-match? What do you think Nadal would say/react?