PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour, Which Headsize?

Amone
12-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I've recently come to realize a few of the drawbacks of my DNX10, and I'd like to deal with them... by getting a new racquet, because I honestly don't know how to fix them off hand. I've been noticing, recently, how demanding it seems to be all of a sudden. Where I used to play solidly, hit solidly, I've been hitting with more spin lately and it's made me notice how not solid enough I am for it. It rather pains me to admit it, but I think my racquet is probably holding me back, in a few ways.

One, it's too demanding. I feel like I'm shanking every other shot, and yet my shotmaking ability's still there when I do strike cleanly.

Two, I'm not happy with the spin potential. This is really where my problem with it lies.

-----

This brings me to my point: I'm planning on starting the annoyingly long process of demoing various racquets, and I really rather wanted to add to my list, the O3 Tour. Recalling that 'demaning' comment, I really don't want to shank more by getting a mid. I don't have any particular preceference between the Midplus or the Oversize as headsizes go, so I wanted to know how it performed in really only a few areas:

How's the topspin potential, for the midplus or oversize? Slice? Control?

There are a few other areas I care about, but can really bring my own to the table: vollies, and power, for instance. So for anyone who's used either the Midplus, or the Oversize, could I get an idea of how they perform in those three areas?

elee3
12-03-2006, 10:57 PM
I was a O3 tour MP user, the spin potential on it is very high. I had really good control with that racquet. I was very comfortable with the racquet from day 1. I came from a Volkl VX1 so I was very use to racquets with grommet slots or holes or stuff of that nature. I couldn't really adjust to any racquets that used the traditional pin hole grommets. Most people hate grommet slots from what I hear, I guess I'm a freak for liking them.

Power wise it is one of the more powerful player racquets. Overall I think it's a really user friendly racquet if you don't mind grommet slot type of technology.

Volleys, I had no trouble with this racquet. Was not exactly the most stable of player type of racquets but it's still acceptable imo. I added some weight at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions to make it more stable for volleys but the racquet felt far better overall with that. Especially my forehands.

Be warned that this racquet tends to eat strings a bit faster than most racquets. Can still get pretty good string life out of it. The worse thing about the string eating from this racquet is polys tend to destory themselves on this racquet from mishits that begin at about 3 inchs from the center of the racquet head. The bumper guard at the top of the racquet tends to knife the strings at the top, it's okay for most strings except polys. Thats the reason why I don't use the O3 tour any more. It work phenomial with poly mains for control and spin, but I don't have money to get them restrung every time I mishit high off the stringbed.

Rush4theyeho
12-04-2006, 12:09 AM
I have a O3 midsize and I absolutely love it. Given the fact I'm not a big guy, the extra pop that it can deliver(mostly on serves) is pretty nice. I came from a Volkl 10 tour and the Prince was the ONLY racquet I liked better in the 5 years worth of service I got fro mthe Volkls.

I demo'd the Midplus(100sq in) and I was really impressed. However I ended up getting the Midsize because it just felt better in my hands. I highly recommend demo'ing both before you buy.

Does anyone know why the 03 Tour goes through string soooo quickly?? I just put in new strings, and after a few hitting sessions, it seems like they've already lost tension. I don't mind paying for the string, but restringing the racquet is a total pain.

BlackJesus
12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a O3 midsize and I absolutely love it. Given the fact I'm not a big guy, the extra pop that it can deliver(mostly on serves) is pretty nice. I came from a Volkl 10 tour and the Prince was the ONLY racquet I liked better in the 5 years worth of service I got fro mthe Volkls.

I demo'd the Midplus(100sq in) and I was really impressed. However I ended up getting the Midsize because it just felt better in my hands. I highly recommend demo'ing both before you buy.

Does anyone know why the 03 Tour goes through string soooo quickly?? I just put in new strings, and after a few hitting sessions, it seems like they've already lost tension. I don't mind paying for the string, but restringing the racquet is a total pain.

Try to mount a poly string like Luxillon. My O3 tour mid is strung with Alu-Power and it's pretty consistent

Amone
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Be warned that this racquet tends to eat strings a bit faster than most racquets. Can still get pretty good string life out of it. The worse thing about the string eating from this racquet is polys tend to destory themselves on this racquet from mishits that begin at about 3 inchs from the center of the racquet head. The bumper guard at the top of the racquet tends to knife the strings at the top, it's okay for most strings except polys. Thats the reason why I don't use the O3 tour any more. It work phenomial with poly mains for control and spin, but I don't have money to get them restrung every time I mishit high off the stringbed.

Luckily (I'm actually starting to get emberassed about this) after four racquets, I've never broken a string. So 'slower than most' is still probably not going to see me snap one. Don't ask why, because I've hit just about every way you can name at one time or another..

Ripper
12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I was a O3 tour MP user

Me too... Sometimes I miss it :-(